As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Weight training thread [WEIGHT TRAINING THREAD] thread

• Options
    DrijenDrijen Registered User regular
    edited January 2011
    I've been ghosting these threads for the last... oh, 6 months or so and I've learned so much. Went out and bought SS, found a used set of weights and bars+benches on craigslist, and started doing work and eating better. I can no longer resist posting cause I just had the best damn session.

Broke bodyweight deadlifts for the first time. I've lost a pile of fat while putting on muscle in places I didn't even know I had and as of last week I am down to ~250lbs from what was probably damn near 300. Just finished with 3x3 at 265 goddamn pounds. I'd be skipping around like a giddy child if I didn't think my legs would give out.

Watched those squat videos earlier today and corrected some pretty glaring form issues. Bam, 175 felt so smooth after struggling with 155 just last week. I know its a big jump to make untested but I was just squatting all sorts of wrong it turns out. Felt so good I just cranked em out till I felt in danger of failing. Feel real optimistic about hitting 200 much sooner than I thought.

I'm just sitting here grinning like an idiot. Picking up weights was the best decision.

Drijen on
  • Options
    Brucelee41042Brucelee41042 Registered User regular
    edited January 2011
    Ok so, I'm glad I had someone tape this, found out some form imperfections are starting to arise

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BAlz60A8_ks

The first couple were ok, I need to sit back more. It looks like my upper back is rounding/chest caving in. I had this problem awhile ago, and I thought I fixed it by keeping my head up... that doesn't seem to be working. Haha, the last one was more like a good morning. Now I've got some things to work on.

Brucelee41042 on
  • Options
    YoSoyTheWalrusYoSoyTheWalrus Registered User regular
    edited January 2011
    Excellent Drijen!

YoSoyTheWalrus on
    tumblr_mvlywyLVys1qigwg9o1_250.png
  • Options
    psyck0psyck0 Registered User regular
    edited January 2011
    You want to see a good morning squat, I should show you mine... that didn't look so bad.

psyck0 on
    Play Smash Bros 3DS with me! 4399-1034-5444
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    big lbig l Registered User regular
    edited January 2011
    Yeah, that last one was pretty normal for the last rep of a set for me. You probably had at least one more rep in you. Strong stuff!
    Hamurabi wrote: »
    My gym has one of those stretching cages, and it has a little primer on it that outlines good stretches for major muscle groups. The hip stretches I tried yesterday before squatting were primarily about lifting your leg up and forcing your core down at the same time, from different angles.

Anyone have suggestions on how I can fix my issue with the bar basically doubling me over when I try to get deep, though? Should I just go for a reset? I know my legs can lift 225... but my back is really holding me back, as it were.

This is just my opinion, Ham, but I think you should reset.

And when you do, really focus on the bottom of your squat. For instance, I noticed that as you hit the bottom of your squat, you tend to lean forward a little bit - and in your case, it seems like this is because your lower back isn't tight enough. You should really concentrate on keeping your chest up, and your low-back tight.

No. He leaned forward because that is what you do when you back squat. Form wasn't picture perfect but it was fine, and you can work on form during warm-ups. Ham should do it again next week with 230# on the bar, and 235# the week after that.

big l on
  • Options
    edited January 2011
    Well now I don't feel so bad, thanks guys.

So I officially squat more than I deadlift. I just did that squat set friday. Earlier in the week, I was doing 385 for 3 reps on deadlift. It was fairly hard. I'm weird.

Brucelee41042 on
  • Options
    moocowmoocow Registered User regular
    edited January 2011
    moocow wrote: »
    Alright so I posted this like everywhere else but I'm really frustrated right now and could use some help

I was trying to do squats today and discovered that I...can't. I can't get that low with my feet flat on the ground; there simply isn't any way. A quick search revealed that it's probably due to short/tight Achilles' tendons, which would make sense.

So, is there a way to stretch 'em out or something? It's infuriating me.

How close together are your feet? Are you sitting back or letting your knees move forward too much?

It is currently physically impossible for my heels to touch the floor while my hips are below my knees, or even level with them.

Any more stretches that you guys can share?

Did you watch the videos posted about squatting a page or two back? I can't get my heels off the ground period unless my weight is shifted too far forward and my knees are shooting way in front of my feet. I was sitting here trying squats with different stances in the living room.

I don't see how your heels coming off the ground could be a flexibility issue. It seems more like a form issue.

moocow on
    imttnk.png
    PS4:MrZoompants
  • Options
    TheRealBadgerTheRealBadger Registered User regular
    edited January 2011
    That was a good set dude. Certainly no trouble with the weight and I don't think it was much of a good morning at all. It broke down a bit, but if that's as bad as it gets on an honest 5rm then you should be happy. When are you competing next?

I signed up at the new gym today. Had a play with the 3" fat bar. Double overhand grip I actually struggle to pick up the bar by itself (which I believe is 40kg). Humbling indeed.

Anyway, they're trying to line me up to compete in the regional champs in about 12 weeks and have suggested I start on sheiko. Now that is service.

Implement training is held in the car park next door on sunday afternoons. Yokes, farmers, tires, prowlers, sleds and car pulls. 2-3 'events' each week

TheRealBadger on
  • Options
    edited January 2011
    Alright so I posted this like everywhere else but I'm really frustrated right now and could use some help

I was trying to do squats today and discovered that I...can't. I can't get that low with my feet flat on the ground; there simply isn't any way. A quick search revealed that it's probably due to short/tight Achilles' tendons, which would make sense.

So, is there a way to stretch 'em out or something? It's infuriating me.

How close together are your feet? Are you sitting back or letting your knees move forward too much?

It is currently physically impossible for my heels to touch the floor while my hips are below my knees, or even level with them.

Any more stretches that you guys can share?

Did you watch the videos posted about squatting a page or two back? I can't get my heels off the ground period unless my weight is shifted too far forward and my knees are shooting way in front of my feet. I was sitting here trying squats with different stances in the living room.

I don't see how your heels coming off the ground could be a flexibility issue. It seems more like a form issue.

I had missed this until now but interestingly enough my previous workout partner had the exact same problem. What kind of shoes are you wearing? I think moocow is right, it could be a lot to do with your knees drifting forward.

TheRealBadger on
  • Options
    RisenPhoenixRisenPhoenix SUPER HOTRegistered User regular
    edited January 2011
    That was a good set dude. Certainly no trouble with the weight and I don't think it was much of a good morning at all. It broke down a bit, but if that's as bad as it gets on an honest 5rm then you should be happy. When are you competing next?

I signed up at the new gym today. Had a play with the 3" fat bar. Double overhand grip I actually struggle to pick up the bar by itself (which I believe is 40kg). Humbling indeed.

Anyway, they're trying to line me up to compete in the regional champs in about 12 weeks and have suggested I start on sheiko. Now that is service.

Implement training is held in the car park next door on sunday afternoons. Yokes, farmers, tires, prowlers, sleds and car pulls. 2-3 'events' each week

This sounds like a gym sent from the heavens above.

RisenPhoenix on
  • Options
    webguy20webguy20 I spend too much time on the Internet Registered User regular
    edited January 2011
    Amen to that brother.

webguy20 on
    Steam ID: Webguy20
    Origin ID: Discgolfer27
    Untappd ID: Discgolfer1981
  • Options
    AphostileAphostile San Francisco, CARegistered User regular
    edited January 2011
    First dragonboating practice today, it was fun but boy is my upper half tired.

Aphostile on
    Nothing. Matters.
  • Options
    edited January 2011
    Aphostile wrote: »
    First dragonboating practice today, it was fun but boy is my upper half tired.

Dragonboating is an awesome sport. Hells of good workout.

TheRealBadger on
  • Options
    RisenPhoenixRisenPhoenix SUPER HOTRegistered User regular
    edited January 2011
    Augh, I miss that. Used to go once a month down at Sydney Harbor and thrash through the water at umpteen miles an hour.

Shit, I should go see if there's a club near me now.

RisenPhoenix on
  • Options
    HamurabiHamurabi MiamiRegistered User regular
    edited January 2011
    big l wrote: »
    Yeah, that last one was pretty normal for the last rep of a set for me. You probably had at least one more rep in you. Strong stuff!
    My gym has one of those stretching cages, and it has a little primer on it that outlines good stretches for major muscle groups. The hip stretches I tried yesterday before squatting were primarily about lifting your leg up and forcing your core down at the same time, from different angles.

Anyone have suggestions on how I can fix my issue with the bar basically doubling me over when I try to get deep, though? Should I just go for a reset? I know my legs can lift 225... but my back is really holding me back, as it were.

This is just my opinion, Ham, but I think you should reset.

And when you do, really focus on the bottom of your squat. For instance, I noticed that as you hit the bottom of your squat, you tend to lean forward a little bit - and in your case, it seems like this is because your lower back isn't tight enough. You should really concentrate on keeping your chest up, and your low-back tight.

No. He leaned forward because that is what you do when you back squat. Form wasn't picture perfect but it was fine, and you can work on form during warm-ups. Ham should do it again next week with 230# on the bar, and 235# the week after that.

This reminds me: I've been squatting 2x a week (Mondays and Fridays) because early on in my lifting career someone suggested squatting more than once a week was the way to go. Since getting back on the bulking wagon in December, I''d been doing it twice a week for about two months straight, then took a week off and (imho) pretty thoroughly nailed 225 after struggling to some degree with 220. Should I stick to twice weekly, or is the weight + recovery getting heavy enough now that I should stick to squatting once a week?

I do feel like my bench has been suffering for awhile now, because I always squat before benching on Mondays. For the record, my program looks like this atm:

Monday:
    Squat
    Bench
    Incline Bench
    Bicep Curls (I neglected these for months, but I'm back on the wagon now)
    Dips

Wednesday:
    Deadlift
    T-bar Row
    Pullups
    YTWLs

Friday:
    Squat
    Press
    Shrugs

Hamurabi on
  • Options
    edited January 2011
    Why bicep curls?

webguy20 on
  • Options
    edited January 2011
    I completely ignored my biceps for a long time, because they don't really help me deadlift or squat or bench or press more weight. Curls because they're simple and quick. Mondays because I was having issues with trying to do isolation bicep work on the same days as pullups, chins and heavy rows.

Hamurabi on
  • Options
    edited January 2011
    I'm having bicep issues at the moment. Trying to put together a nurse joker costume and it is impossible to find a nurses frock with sleeves big enough to fit these arms into.

TheRealBadger on
  • Options
    edited January 2011
    I'm having bicep issues at the moment. Trying to put together a nurse joker costume and it is impossible to find a nurses frock with sleeves big enough to fit these arms into.

I have problems with jackets that fit ok around the waist and chest but my arms are painfully tight in. Very annoying.

webguy20 on
  • Options
    edited January 2011
    Yeah no, only my pants get tight when I'm gaining weight -- and only in the ass.

Hamurabi on
  • Options
    jklongjklong Registered User regular
    edited January 2011
    Finding 30-32" pants that comfortably fit past my quads and calves is difficult. It seems all clothing these days is made for stick thin emo kids.

jklong on
  • Options
    edited January 2011
    I'm 6'3". They make pants with 34"+ inseams, sure... but they only come in 36"+ waists. : /

Hamurabi on
  • Options
    edited January 2011
    So the IPF now has a raw worlds. It's gonna be in sweden sometime next year. First you have to compete raw in a usapl meet to qualify for nationals. Apparently you just need to compete, no set total. Then you have to set a qualifying total at nationals in scranton to get to worlds. They haven't posted the qualifying totals yet, but I doubt I'd make it.

I think I'm gonna try anyways

Brucelee41042 on
  • Options
    edited January 2011

Fuck you and fuck your awesome gym.
    <3

psyck0 on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    Shazkar ShadowstormShazkar Shadowstorm Registered User regular
    edited January 2011
    guys can ya help me out with this

any advice on things to do and change in my routine
    as you know, because i've talked way too much about it, my mcl injury is still lingering so i am trying to strengthen up the joint so it becomes less of an issue
    i am also trying to just get general strength

before i got injured i basically did squats, deadlifts, bench, rows, and overhead press, and pullups. not much else.

so i didn't know how to make up a routine, so i just kind of fell into this out of habit recently:

day a:
    - bench 3x5 w/warmup sets
    - knee rehab/strengthening things (things like hamstring curl, leg press, hip abductor/adductor, sometimes roman chair)
    - pullups, trying to do 3 sets to failure, i'm still using the assist but i'm on the lowest assist weight, hope to move to regular at some point

day b:
    - overhead press 3x5 w/warmups
    - knee stuff as above
    - pullups as above

and i end both days with 10-15 minutes on the bike

anything i should change or add

since i'm not doing squats (doing some bodyweight / 1 legged squats at home sometimes though) should i add in some kind of ab work to work my core?

should i stay away from deadlifts until my knee is stronger?

Shazkar Shadowstorm on
    poo
  • Options
    Joe ChemoJoe Chemo Registered User regular
    edited January 2011
    Well everyone knows Jim Wendler is a freak of nature, and (iirc) also juices.

I finally got around to videoing myself squatting. 225 lbs. felt really good tonight (and is a personal best)... but my gorram back is still ruining my form. I either need to strengthen it the hell up, or fix my flexibility issues and start squatting low bar.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-H5cbskvxB4

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZylcqIHeX1k

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WjnilWY6n20

So if you good morning out of the hole, does that mean your back is weak because you don't maintain the right back angle when you should, or does it mean your hamstrings are weak and your body shifts weight to the stronger body part (lower back)?

Joe Chemo on
  • Options
    big lbig l Registered User regular
    edited January 2011

Yeah, I think at some point you have to go in like Sergio Oliva and get some tailoring or something if you really care about something fitting well.

Sergio_Oliva_87.jpg

Edit: Wow that picture is kind of bigger than I expected

big l on
  • Options
    KakodaimonosKakodaimonos Code fondler Helping the 1% get richerRegistered User regular
    edited January 2011
    Joe Chemo wrote: »
    Well everyone knows Jim Wendler is a freak of nature, and (iirc) also juices.

I finally got around to videoing myself squatting. 225 lbs. felt really good tonight (and is a personal best)... but my gorram back is still ruining my form. I either need to strengthen it the hell up, or fix my flexibility issues and start squatting low bar.

So if you good morning out of the hole, does that mean your back is weak because you don't maintain the right back angle when you should, or does it mean your hamstrings are weak and your body shifts weight to the stronger body part (lower back)?

Lower back. If your hips are coming up too fast or you're folding on the way up, it's lumbar weakness. Work on adding in stiff leg deads, good mornings, power cleans or just plain deadlifts.

Kakodaimonos on
  • Options
    edited January 2011
    I don't really find that I feel the back work with either good mornings or RDLs. I'm never sure that they're actually doing anything for me.

psyck0 on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    KakodaimonosKakodaimonos Code fondler Helping the 1% get richerRegistered User regular
    edited January 2011
    psyck0 wrote: »
    I don't really find that I feel the back work with either good mornings or RDLs. I'm never sure that they're actually doing anything for me.

How much weight are you doing with them? The GMs should be damn unpleasant. RDLs are usually constrained by my grip.

Kakodaimonos on
  • Options
    edited January 2011
    GMs ARE unpleasant- they make me sweat and pant, they're exhausting- but I don't feel them in my back. I do 135. Wendler said he gets more out of low weight high reps on them.

psyck0 on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    A duck!A duck! Moderator, ClubPA mod
    edited January 2011
    I found that when I really wanted back work I just did a boatload of rack pulls at the end of a deadlift day. I usually wanted to kill myself sometime afterwards, but it did help a lot.

A duck! on
  • Options
    XegoXego Registered User regular
    edited January 2011
    So week 2 started and I'm pretty happy about the whole thing. Added 15lbs to my squat, 10lbs to my bench, and 20 to my deadlift. I also made a startling discovery this last week, I apparently lost 20 pounds over winter break! I'm down to about 150 from being between 165-175.

So here we go, another nutrition question. I'm pretty sure I'm not eating enough. I am, however, eating all the time and I'm hungry a lot more than I used to be. My day usually is 2-4 eggs and veggies in the morning for breakfast, tuna or peanut butter sandwich for lunch, and dinner is whatever I decide to eat that night, so something like stir fry or hamburger helper or whatever. For snacks I eat apples and oranges whenever I'm hungry. I'm don't think I'm getting enough calories. I have these mexican twinkie things that are 200 calories a pop but I'm sure its mostly sugar and bad stuff. Is it ok to just down a few of these a day to make up for just not having enough to eat?

Xego on
  • Options
    The Black HunterThe Black Hunter The key is a minimum of compromise, and a simple, unimpeachable reason to existRegistered User regular
    edited January 2011
    Xego wrote: »
    So week 2 started and I'm pretty happy about the whole thing. Added 15lbs to my squat, 10lbs to my bench, and 20 to my deadlift. I also made a startling discovery this last week, I apparently lost 20 pounds over winter break! I'm down to about 150 from being between 165-175.

So here we go, another nutrition question. I'm pretty sure I'm not eating enough. I am, however, eating all the time and I'm hungry a lot more than I used to be. My day usually is 2-4 eggs and veggies in the morning for breakfast, tuna or peanut butter sandwich for lunch, and dinner is whatever I decide to eat that night, so something like stir fry or hamburger helper or whatever. For snacks I eat apples and oranges whenever I'm hungry. I'm don't think I'm getting enough calories. I have these mexican twinkie things that are 200 calories a pop but I'm sure its mostly sugar and bad stuff. Is it ok to just down a few of these a day to make up for just not having enough to eat?

A sandwich is generally a snack, not a meal. Unless it is a big biiiiig sandwich.

You can have a couple of those twinkies a day, one or two, you have the luck to be working up, rather than trying to work down on shitty food.

The Black Hunter on
  • Options
    edited January 2011
    psyck0 wrote: »
    GMs ARE unpleasant- they make me sweat and pant, they're exhausting- but I don't feel them in my back. I do 135. Wendler said he gets more out of low weight high reps on them.

You can do more than 135 on GMs. You're in the 300s on the squat, right? Go for at least 185 on the last heavy set of GMs.

Kakodaimonos on
  • Options
    InvincibleInvincible Registered User regular
    edited January 2011
    Jimmy Johns is so tasty, I love being in the midst of a bulk. It will be scary when I have to cut though.

Invincible on
    3DS Friend Code: 2921-9194-1579

Let's make record. It will look like:
    Side A.
    1. Tomato Soup
    2. Grilled Cheese
    Side B.
    1. Naptime
  • Options
    DaricDaric Registered User regular
    edited January 2011
    I've been rock climbing a lotttt recently. I was working full-time over the last semester so by the time I got off, I was so exhausted I just didn't have the energy to work out. I lost a lot of my strength. Once winter break hit though, I really started hitting the gym and climbing again. Looking back at some of my high school pictures, I really feel like I've come a long way from that pale shut-in to the still not big person I am now.
    24i1e.jpg

Daric on
    cc61181c22f23454a304a4f1f0867845044.gif
  • Options
    XegoXego Registered User regular
    edited January 2011
    Another question, when alternating between bench presses and presses is it like week 1 bench, press, bench W2 bench, press, bench or W1 B,P,B W2 P,B,P. The first one makes a little more sense to me because the second one has you benching only once a week every other week and doesn't seem right? I can't imagine only doing benches once and then the next week uping your weight on it. Then again maybe I'm overestimating the importance of bench pressing?

Also I think I'm just gonna go buy a couple gallons of ice cream and just start making milkshakes to get my calorie count up.

Xego on
  • Options
    edited January 2011
    Xego wrote: »
    Another question, when alternating between bench presses and presses is it like week 1 bench, press, bench W2 bench, press, bench or W1 B,P,B W2 P,B,P. The first one makes a little more sense to me because the second one has you benching only once a week every other week and doesn't seem right? I can't imagine only doing benches once and then the next week uping your weight on it. Then again maybe I'm overestimating the importance of bench pressing?

Also I think I'm just gonna go buy a couple gallons of ice cream and just start making milkshakes to get my calorie count up.

Bench once a week is fine. same with presses. Bench once, press once, deadlift once, squat twice will get you good results. I do deadlift, bench, rdl one day, square and presses the next, then hang cleans a square again on the third day. With a few other supplement exercises thrown in. Seems to be working well.

webguy20 on
  • Options
    edited January 2011
    So, should I keep squatting twice a week?

Hamurabi on
This discussion has been closed.