As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Assange Arrainged, Arrested; Assures Associates

• Options
    101101 Registered User regular
    edited December 2010
    You know I get the feeling Putin is enjoying this

101 on
  • Options
    PharezonPharezon Struggle is an illusion. Victory is in the Qun.Registered User regular
    edited December 2010
    turkey needs to bring ataturk back from the dead

Dude was a boss.

ataturk3.jpg

Pharezon on
    jkZziGc.png
  • Options
    Baroque And RollBaroque And Roll Every spark of friendship and love Will die without a homeRegistered User regular
    edited December 2010
    Franko wrote: »
    Langly wrote: »
    Franko wrote: »
    Is Saladin some sort of cross between Disney's Aladdin and a salad?

Saladin

some Muslim that opposed whites?

Sounds like a terrorist to me

We talkin' about Salah al-Din in here?

Dude was a stone cold badass.

This motherfucker right here is the reason anyone remembers the Ayuubids at all.

Baroque And Roll on
    2dtr87s.png
    SteamID: Baroque And Roll
  • Options
    DudBoltDudBolt Registered User regular
    edited December 2010
    Always play Saladin in civ 4.

a shame he didn't make it into civ 5.

DudBolt on
    Gather the faithful and prepose a toast. To an epoch of indifference. - In Flames: Ordinary Story
    http://beta.humugus.com/index.php/auth/register/inv/1966
  • Options
    CalliusCallius Registered User regular
    edited December 2010
    Fuuucking hate starting papers.

Callius on
    tonksigblack.png
  • Options
    Penguin IncarnatePenguin Incarnate King of Kafiristan Registered User regular
    edited December 2010
    Aw, shit, Putin just called us the fuck out.
    In a recent — and testy — press conference, Russian Prime Minister Vladimir Putin cast doubt on accuracy of the cables, asking whether the U.S. diplomats writing in the leaked cables can be considered a “crystal clear source of information.” But his saved his tartest quote to slam what he sees as the hypocritical contrast between the West’s democracy promotion in Russia and the multi-pronged attack on WikiLeaks and its founder, Julian Assange.

“So, you know, as they say in the countryside, some people’s cows can moo, but yours should keep quiet. So I would like to shoot the puck back at our American colleagues,” Putin snarked, questioning whether Assange’s arrest in the U.K. represented “full democracy.”

Penguin Incarnate on
  • Options
    UbikUbik oh pete, that's later. maybe we'll be dead by then Registered User regular
    edited December 2010
    a hockey metaphor

how dare he!

Ubik on
    l8e1peic77w3.jpg

• Options
    DichotomyDichotomy Registered User regular
    edited December 2010
    mr putin please cattle are not being discussed here

Dichotomy on
    0BnD8l3.gif
  • Options
    edited December 2010
    Again: When Ron Paul and Vladmir Putin are the reasonable ones in a conversation about democracy and freedom of speech, it's time to rethink your steps.

Penguin Incarnate on
  • Options
    PiptheFairPiptheFair Frequently not in boats. Registered User regular
    edited December 2010
    we cannot have a sports analogy gap

the ball is in our court

PiptheFair on
  • Options
    Lord DaveLord Dave Grief Causer Bitch Free ZoneRegistered User regular
    edited December 2010
    When did Putin turn into a metaphor-mixing old-timey Southern lawyer

From Canada

Lord Dave on
    mkc.png
  • Options
    edited December 2010
    assange was arrested because he's a rapist and freedom of speech does not extend to revealing state secrets

PiptheFair on
  • Options
    edited December 2010
    "I might just be a simple kleptocrat from the Urals. . . "

Penguin Incarnate on
  • Options
    UbikUbik oh pete, that's later. maybe we'll be dead by then Registered User regular
    edited December 2010
    freedom of speech has never been absolute

Ubik on
    l8e1peic77w3.jpg

• Options
    SolarSolar Registered User regular
    edited December 2010
    Aw, shit, Putin just called us the fuck out.
    In a recent — and testy — press conference, Russian Prime Minister Vladimir Putin cast doubt on accuracy of the cables, asking whether the U.S. diplomats writing in the leaked cables can be considered a “crystal clear source of information.” But his saved his tartest quote to slam what he sees as the hypocritical contrast between the West’s democracy promotion in Russia and the multi-pronged attack on WikiLeaks and its founder, Julian Assange.

“So, you know, as they say in the countryside, some people’s cows can moo, but yours should keep quiet. So I would like to shoot the puck back at our American colleagues,” Putin snarked, questioning whether Assange’s arrest in the U.K. represented “full democracy.”

Fuck you Putin

How many journalists have been murdered in Russia?

How much corruption is there in your government?

That's right get out

Solar on
  • Options
    edited December 2010
    So you don't think it's significant that Western, democratic leaders are acting in a fashion somewhat, similar to Mr. Putin's government, then?

Penguin Incarnate on
  • Options
    edited December 2010
    So you don't think it's significant that Western, democratic leaders are acting in a fashion somewhat, similar to Mr. Putin's government, then?

by arresting a rapist

no I'm fairly certain that is dissimilar than having him meet a tragic fate like choking on a bullet

PiptheFair on
  • Options
    Virgil_Leads_YouVirgil_Leads_You Proud Father House GardenerRegistered User regular
    edited December 2010
    Solar wrote: »
    JoeUser wrote: »
    This is weird

At Obama's side, Clinton backs tax deal
    Former President Bill Clinton made a surprise appearance at President Barack Obama's side on Friday to back the tax cut compromise Obama negotiated with Republicans.

"I don't believe there is a better deal out there," Clinton told reporters in the White House briefing room who'd been summoned at a moment's notice to see the former chief executive back the current one. Clinton and Obama had just finished a private meeting in the Oval Office.

Hey so I never did past Reagan and Bush on my American political history course

Was Clinton terrible? I always thought he was OK from what I picked up around and about, but he's basically a blind spot in my learning.

Also the early Roman Emperors are great. Out of the first five only one can be said to have died from natural causes, and he was a ruthless motherfucker who knew how to get shit done.

He isn't a terrible president that we will look back on and universally berate.
    He is widely loved by those in the democratic party,
    and during his time in office, viscerally hated by republicans.
    Many would argue that his popularity has less to do with his actions as president,
    but more from his personal charisma and from having his presidency during an economic rise
    Many also say that he has been a bigger and more successful political force as an ex-president.

Virgil_Leads_You on
    VayBJ4e.png
  • Options
    edited December 2010

Well since I don't think that Assange has been arrested because of the intervention of any Western democratic leaders, no (I think he has been arrested because someone in Interpol wants a nice shiny new car for Christmas). Now we don't know that Assange is a rapist, there's been no conviction yet. We should be careful there. But there has been an accusation and he needs to answer for that in court where the truth will hopefully out.

As I have said many times

Wikileaks is great when it releases evidence of wrongdoing and I support this

But when it releases publically irrelevant and potentially damaging information then I get mad because that helps no-one

And part of the reason that it does the latter is the fact that Assange has admitted an anti-American bias and he has influence over the group

Solar on
  • Options
    edited December 2010
    PiptheFair wrote: »

by arresting a rapist

no I'm fairly certain that is dissimilar than having him meet a tragic fate like choking on a bullet
    Call me old fashioned-- now I know this is all of the Marx I've been reading talking, so forgive me here-- but I'm fairly certain being arrested for something does not mean you are that thing. Insane, I know, but that's college for you.

Also, thank you for taking my comment in the black and white spirit in which I wrote it. Others might be tempted to pause for a moment, but that's for those without strong knee muscles. Not guys like you and me.

Just look at those fuckers go.

Penguin Incarnate on
  • Options
    Virgil_Leads_YouVirgil_Leads_You Proud Father House GardenerRegistered User regular
    edited December 2010

by arresting a rapist

I would suggest that you wait on calling a man a rapist until there is proof and consensus of it.

Virgil_Leads_You on
    VayBJ4e.png
  • Options
    edited December 2010

by arresting a rapist

I would suggest that you wait on calling a man a rapist until there is proof and consensus of it.
    Enough of that anarchist talk, Virgil. You're embarrassing yourself.

Penguin Incarnate on
  • Options
    Der Waffle MousDer Waffle Mous Blame this on the misfortune of your birth. New Yark, New Yark.Registered User regular
    edited December 2010
    If, during the meantime, he dies mysteriously of radiation poisoning, we will consider your position.

Der Waffle Mous on
    Steam PSN: DerWaffleMous Origin: DerWaffleMous Bnet: DerWaffle#1682
  • Options
    edited December 2010
    It is the nature of my existence.

Virgil_Leads_You on
    VayBJ4e.png
  • Options
    Metzger MeisterMetzger Meister It Gets Worse before it gets any better.Registered User regular
    edited December 2010
    if assange had been arrested for releasing mostly russian (i almost typed soviet) documents, he would be dead or in a fucking gulag in the caucus mountains.

Metzger Meister on
  • Options
    edited December 2010
    I think Pip might have made that comment out of emotion

but really what we can say is that the rape charge exists and existed regardless of Assange's involvements with wikileaks.

So we can say here that arresting a man for rape charges and Anna Politkovskaya getting shot in her apartment building are different things. Let me remind you that in the US releases such as the Pentagon Papers and Watergate did not result in convictions against the press, so in that regard they have a much better record than Russia does even in the last ten years.

Solar on
  • Options
    edited December 2010
    no I made it out of hyperbole

PiptheFair on
  • Options
    edited December 2010

Well since I don't think that Assange has been arrested because of the intervention of any Western democratic leaders, no (I think he has been arrested because someone in Interpol wants a nice shiny new car for Christmas). Now we don't know that Assange is a rapist, there's been no conviction yet. We should be careful there. But there has been an accusation and he needs to answer for that in court where the truth will hopefully out.

But when it releases publically irrelevant and potentially damaging information then I get mad because that helps no-one

And part of the reason that it does the latter is the fact that Assange has admitted an anti-American bias and he has influence over the group
    Those are some good points. I guess we could argue about the intentions of Interpol regarding the rape charges, but I think when you take that and combine it with things like Joseph Lieberman wanting to investigate the NY Times, Mastercard and Paypal cutting off Wikileaks' means of funding, or the general consensus of political pundits regarding who is and isn't a traitor, I start to see a pattern emerge. There are decent reasons for all of these things that have happened to Wikileaks and its associates, but taken as a whole, it's really rather depressing.

It's a pattern that doesn't exactly make me feel too confident in our politicians, which I guess isn't anything new now that I think about it.

The guy obviously needs to be held accountable for the rape charges, though. I'm really refering to the opposition to Assange and the organization as a whole. I'm not a conspiracy theorist, but I think it's rather obvious that no one would give a fuck about the charges against him unless he was the dickbag from Wikileaks.

I don't know which part of that is the most depressing.

And, regarding their bias and their intention (which I think is a somewhat moot point), Wikileaks has certainly done more than a few stupid, misguided, and irresponsible things (Collateral Murder and their recent release of critical, American infrastructure sights leaps to mind), but I'd rather live in a world with insitutions like Wikileaks than without them. Furthermore, any attack on them and their release of information is obviously going to have consequences on journalism and whistleblowers in the future. An attack on them is an attack on us all and I don't think you need to gun anyone down to see that there's serious, horrific consequences when you begin to criminalize free speech.

Penguin Incarnate on
  • Options
    edited December 2010
    no I made it out of hyperbole

That is sort of what I meant

rather than "Pip actually thinks that people can be declared guilty before trail etc"

But whatever

Solar on
  • Options
    edited December 2010
    Ubik wrote: »

bumpin this

PiptheFair on
  • Options
    edited December 2010

Those are some good points. I guess we could argue about the intentions of Interpol regarding the rape charges, but I think when you take that and combine it with things like Joseph Lieberman wanting to investigate the NY Times, Mastercard and Paypal cutting off Wikileaks' means of funding, or the general consensus of political pundits regarding who is and isn't a traitor, I start to see a pattern emerge. There are decent reasons for all of these things that have happened to Wikileaks and its associates, but taken as a whole, it's really rather depressing.

It's a pattern that doesn't exactly make me feel too confident in our politicians, which I guess isn't anything new now that I think about it.

And, regarding their bias and their intention (which I think is a somewhat moot point), Wikileaks has certainly done more than a few stupid, misguided, and irresponsible things (Collateral Murder and their recent release of critical, American infrastructure sights leaps to mind), but I'd rather live in a world with insitutions like Wikileaks than without them. Furthermore, any attack on them and their release of information is obviously going to have consequences on journalism and whistleblowers in the future. An attack on them is an attack on us all and I don't think you need to gun anyone down to see that there's serious, horrific consequences when you begin to criminalize free speech.

Yes but Lieberman is unlikely to get any form of conviction, he's just wasting time and trying to make those who stand against that investigation seem un-American. In American the threats against freedom of speech and the free press are much smaller than in Russia and the ranks of those who stand by to fight it considerably larger. Remember that while you have Lieberman you also have guys on the other side fighting for this kind of thing like yes, I think Obama is suitable here.

And an attack on them is not an attack on all of us. I do not condone Wikileaks reckless and irresponsible actions and think they should stop releasing information which is not relevant to public interest but potentially diplomatically damaging. I do not think that saying "this is wrong" is an attack on free speech so much as it living in the real world.

And you need to be careful to avoid the slippery slope here, because Assange is not dead. He is in a UK jail waiting to be transferred to Sweden where he will face rape allegations. He has not been charged with espionage by the US and is not even in US custody (yet, but as you said you don't want to assume that Assange was a rapist before trail so you can't assume the US government will get a hold of Assange and charge him until they do that).

There has been no attack on Free Speech in American recent history which in any way compares to the level of corruption and subdual of that right in Russia within the last ten years. Yes it is not absolute, as Ubik said, but it is relatively much better in the US than Russia. Putin saying "you guys are not so great" is rediculous because his side is so much worse it's not even funny. You think it's the same then you need to get some perspective. So many times I hear watergate as evidence of how the system fails. No. Wrong. Watergate is evidence that the system works because Nixon was essentially removed from office by journalists with evidence of crimes. This is a similar state of affairs, though a different situation.

Solar on
  • Options
    George Fornby GrillGeorge Fornby Grill ...Like Clockwork Registered User regular
    edited December 2010

bumpin this

NO FREEDOM OF SPEECH IS EXACTLY WHAT IT SAYS

I CAN STAND ON THE STREET SPEWING HATE-SPEECH AND THE GOVERNMENT CAN'T DO SHIT ABOUT IT

literally know people who think this way

George Fornby Grill on
  • Options
    edited December 2010

bumpin this

NO FREEDOM OF SPEECH IS EXACTLY WHAT IT SAYS

I CAN STAND ON THE STREET SPEWING HATE-SPEECH AND THE GOVERNMENT CAN'T DO SHIT ABOUT IT

literally know people who think this way

well, you can

you cannot however do things like reveal state secrets or make speech than can be construed as actually threatening to others safety

PiptheFair on
  • Options
    edited December 2010
    Koshian wrote: »
    is there any proof assange is actually a rapist or are conclusions being jumped to here

thusfar I think it's just he said she said

PiptheFair on
  • Options
    George Fornby GrillGeorge Fornby Grill ...Like Clockwork Registered User regular
    edited December 2010
    Last I heard the dude was being accused of rape because he refused to wear a a condom.

George Fornby Grill on
  • Options
    edited December 2010
    Koshian wrote: »
    is there any proof assange is actually a rapist or are conclusions being jumped to here

No there are allegations with substantial enough evidence to bring him to trail

But innocent until proven etc.

I hope he is not because I'd rather that women were't raped by Assange (or anyone else)

But apart from that we have no idea, because we are not the Swedish prosecution team.
    Last I heard the dude was being accused of rape because he refused to wear a a condom.

No she thought he wasn't wearing one and said stop

he apparently did not stop

which if true means, well, I don't need to say

But it might not be, again, we here do not know.

Solar on
  • Options
    edited December 2010

no

he was asked mid coitus to stop because the condom broke and he did not

that is what one of the women accused him of

PiptheFair on
  • Options
    edited December 2010
    Ohh okay well that makes more sense then

George Fornby Grill on
  • Options
    edited December 2010
    no evidence has been released to the public.
    2 women have issued a complaint and the review of the complaint has been altered
    with the intervention of higher criminal analysts to include 1 rape charge.
    There is no way of definitively accusing anything at this point of the game.

Virgil_Leads_You on
    VayBJ4e.png
  • Options
    edited December 2010
    I can accuse him of looking like a date rapist

because

come on the dude looks like a roophy fan

PiptheFair on
This discussion has been closed.