As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Assange Arrainged, Arrested; Assures Associates

1575859606163»

• Options
    LanglyLangly Registered User regular
    edited December 2010
    You're right about Wikileaks being irresponsible in the past, the part of the 1st Amendment is your legally protected right to be an asshole. Assange is an asshole for sure, but part of what makes our country great is our enshrined right to be assholes. Should he have released some of these things? No, but he's got a right to release it as much as we have a right to read it. Curtailing things like the diplomatic wires because they're the wrong kind of information isn't something I'm comfortable with, because if those in power got to choose what was right or wrong, we wouldn't be reading anything. I would rather have too much information than not enough.

That's what my opinion basically comes down to.

Also, only releasing information "relevant to the public interest" strikes me as a pointlessly vague term. "Potentially damaging" also strikes me as needlessly vague. Obviously the Pentagon Papers were potentially damaging, but I think at this point in history the consensus agrees that its release was a good thing, even though it was obviously a mixed bag.

I guess I should also clear up one thing: I don't think that the US is anywhere near as bad as Russia or China or any other autocratic government regarding journalism or free speech. All I'm getting at is that it's interesting that the West complains about Russia's attempts to curb democracy/human rights/yadda yadda yadda and then, when something unpleasant happens to the West, they get up in arms and start looking for ways to stifle the same things they're criticizing Russia for. They aren't planning to try Assange for espionage (at least publically), but that doesn't mean that this whole thing isn't interesting. It isn't a Doomsday scenario, and I guess what I said before might be read about that, but it's something to consider.

Saying "We're not as bad," really doesn't hold muster in my opinion. Our transportation system isn't as bad as Russia's, but that doesn't mean it's good. And if I started reading about how 5% of American driver's licenses are obtained through bribery (as opposed to 50% in Moscow), I'd begin to worry. This entire thing is worrying and I don't see a significant reason not to be.

Also, I just realized there's an entirely superfluous comma in my original comment. What's that thing doing there? What was I thinking?

It's not about what the public has a right to know, it's about what other countries have a right to know. An integral part of diplomacy is secrecy, and the ability to keep secrets. Because we live in a real world, we can't have a completely transparent government. Diplomatic cables reveal what we are saying about other countries, and what they are saying about each other. Diplomacy works because these things do not reach a public arena, because when they do countries are forced to react to them. This has nothing to do with the freedom of information or some kind of first amendment rights. Diplomatic channels have to be secret for diplomacy to work. That is the nature of the actual world, with actual political ramifications. It would be nice if we could be completely transparent in everything our country does, but we can't. Because we're dealing with people like China and Russia and they are being forced to deal with us.

And we're all fuckers.

Langly on
  • Options
    George Fornby GrillGeorge Fornby Grill ...Like Clockwork Registered User regular
    edited December 2010
    Assange is basically that guy in middle school who found out who you liked then told everyone

or maybe I just had a really bad time in middle school :(

George Fornby Grill on
  • Options
    Penguin IncarnatePenguin Incarnate King of Kafiristan Registered User regular
    edited December 2010
    Langly wrote: »
    Blah, blah, blah blah.

It's not about what the public has a right to know, it's about what other countries have a right to know. An integral part of diplomacy is secrecy, and the ability to keep secrets. Because we live in a real world, we can't have a completely transparent government. Diplomatic cables reveal what we are saying about other countries, and what they are saying about each other. Diplomacy works because these things do not reach a public arena, because when they do countries are forced to react to them. This has nothing to do with the freedom of information or some kind of first amendment rights. Diplomatic channels have to be secret for diplomacy to work. That is the nature of the actual world, with actual political ramifications. It would be nice if we could be completely transparent in everything our country does, but we can't. Because we're dealing with people like China and Russia and they are being forced to deal with us.

And we're all fuckers.
    That's a good point.

Especially about the fucker bit.

Basically, I'm erring on the side of releasing too much than nothing at all. I think that pretty strongly in this case since the vast majority of the "juiciest" cables are all things I think we've already known.

Penguin Incarnate on
  • Options
    LanglyLangly Registered User regular
    edited December 2010
    Blah, blah, blah blah.

And we're all fuckers.
    That's a good point.

Especially about the fucker bit.

Basically, I'm erring on the side of releasing too much than nothing at all. I think that pretty strongly in this case since the vast majority of the "juiciest" cables are all things I think we've already known.

I understand that, and I wish that the forums hadn't eaten my post from last week comparing world diplomacy to a group of bitcy middle school girls. But basically, the fact that we've "known" a good deal of the information is in my opinion largely irrelevant.

Imagine if you had a friend who everyone knew to be untrustworthy, but still was part of the group. If someone finds your journal saying exactly that and then shows everyone, it's now a matter of public record. The friend is angry, because even though they knew that people knew, now it is out in the open. And your other friends now think that you aren't very trustworthy, even though they were also agreeing with you.

Even though people "knew" that saudi arabia sucked and was doing bad things, we still had to work with them. Now that information is public and public in a way where we definitively said it, it has damaged our ability to do that.

Langly on
  • Options
    edited December 2010
    I agree that what you're saying, but I'd come to entirely different conclusion on whether or not we should know that information.

In other words, those who don't agree with me suck cock by choice!

Penguin Incarnate on
  • Options
    Virgil_Leads_YouVirgil_Leads_You Proud Father House GardenerRegistered User regular
    edited December 2010
    It's theoretically harder for us to throw money at them to get them to solve their issues.
    Or attack/abduct citizens who are residing there.
    I'm okay with that, even under the threat of terrorism.

Virgil_Leads_You on
    VayBJ4e.png
  • Options
    MeizMeiz Registered User regular
    edited December 2010

And we're all fuckers.

When you read shit like this:
    http://www.usatoday.com/news/washington/2003-09-06-poll-iraq_x.htm

And you have people that are questioning the validity of having an organization such as Wikileaks around, it's fucking laughable. You want to keep living in a country full of misinformed retards, that's your call.

I think you've crossed the line when it comes to being sloth like turds writhing in their own apathy and self interest.

"Naw maybe we shouldn't cuz I have to inhale more cheeze in a can and watch Jersey Shore".

Meiz on
  • Options
    Virgil_Leads_YouVirgil_Leads_You Proud Father House GardenerRegistered User regular
    edited December 2010
    Meiz wrote: »

And we're all fuckers.

When you read shit like this:
    http://www.usatoday.com/news/washington/2003-09-06-poll-iraq_x.htm

And you have people that are questioning the validity of having an organization such as Wikileaks around, it's fucking laughable. You want to keep living in a country full of misinformed retards, that's your call.

I think you've crossed the line when it comes to being sloth like turds writhing in their own apathy and self interest.

"Naw maybe we shouldn't cuz I have to inhale more cheeze in a can and watch Jersey Shore".

You really need to chill dude,
    you are making a silly goose of yourself

Virgil_Leads_You on
    VayBJ4e.png
  • Options
    MereHappenstanceMereHappenstance Registered User regular
    edited December 2010
    In other words, those who don't agree with me suck cock by choice!

The American way!

MereHappenstance on
  • Options
    edited December 2010
    That short bus of yours has wifi, Meiz?

Penguin Incarnate on
  • Options
    MereHappenstanceMereHappenstance Registered User regular
    edited December 2010
    Meiz is going to vote Ron Paul in 2012.

MereHappenstance on
  • Options
    Macro9Macro9 Registered User regular
    edited December 2010
    Meiz has a hate boner for Americans, right?

Macro9 on
    58pwo4vxupcr.png
  • Options
    BarcardiBarcardi All the Wizards Under A Rock: AfganistanRegistered User regular
    edited December 2010
    I wish Woodward and Bernstein were still working in the mainstream media, they would probably be working for/with wikileaks instead of writing books.

Damn if journalists should be finding these leaks out for themselves instead of dicking around and reporting on how crazy fox news/some other news corp is.

Barcardi on
  • Options
    PharezonPharezon Struggle is an illusion. Victory is in the Qun.Registered User regular
    edited December 2010
    The ISI plants information to make the ISI and Military's boogieman of India credible. World shocked.

Pharezon on
    jkZziGc.png
  • Options
    MrMonroeMrMonroe passed out on the floor nowRegistered User regular
    edited December 2010
    Barcardi wrote: »
    I wish Woodward and Bernstein were still working in the mainstream media, they would probably be working for/with wikileaks instead of writing books.

Damn if journalists should be finding these leaks out for themselves instead of dicking around and reporting on how crazy fox news/some other news corp is.

the difference being they have an understanding of journalistic ethics and probably wouldn't publish most of this junk

the world absolutely needs wikileaks

but wikileaks desperately needs to learn what journalism is about

MrMonroe on
  • Options
    edited December 2010
    I just find the actual fake reports to be funny.

"Another army chief had apparently been described as "an egotist, self-obsessed, petulant and idiosyncratic general, a braggadocio and a show-off, who has been disliked (and barely tolerated) by all his subordinates"."

Virgil_Leads_You on
    VayBJ4e.png
  • Options
    WeaverWeaver Who are you? What do you want?Registered User regular
    edited December 2010
    gonna get a day job

tactical

murderista

Weaver on
  • Options
    BarcardiBarcardi All the Wizards Under A Rock: AfganistanRegistered User regular
    edited December 2010
    MrMonroe wrote: »

the difference being they have an understanding of journalistic ethics and probably wouldn't publish most of this junk

Give them time, they are only 6 years or so old.

I would say that most major media companies right now need to re-learn what journalism is about. Because it is not about pundits spending 75% of their time bitching about other pundits opinions and name calling. Its about research and stories that actually matter.

Barcardi on
  • Options
    edited December 2010
    As a guy going for a journalism degree, pretty much no major "news" company I'd like to work for.

yes, I used quotation marks.

motherfucker

Weaver on
  • Options
    edited December 2010
    Weaver. Suit, webcam, desk, scowl gogogo.

Meiz on
  • Options
    AbracadanielAbracadaniel Registered User regular
    edited December 2010

I would say that most major media companies right now need to re-learn what journalism is about. Because it is not about pundits spending 75% of their time bitching about other pundits opinions and name calling. Its about research and stories that actually matter.

I briefly read a blurb or two about some offshoot of WikiLeaks being created by Assman's former right-hand man called OpenLeaks. Apparently their plan to avoid the whole 'condemnation by every major goverment' is to work with media outlets make their information available to them so they can vet the data and redact the especially sensitive info.

Abracadaniel on
  • Options
    edited December 2010
    I'm not getting on webcam right now. I just chugged a cup of black coffee and I'm gonna take a shower.

Weaver on
  • Options
    Metzger MeisterMetzger Meister It Gets Worse before it gets any better.Registered User regular
    edited December 2010
    i just drank some hot coco and a shower sounds pretty good but it's so goddamn cold in my basement that i reaaaally don't wanna be wet.

Metzger Meister on
  • Options
    edited December 2010
    Smart Hero wrote: »

I briefly read a blurb or two about some offshoot of WikiLeaks being created by Assman's former right-hand man called OpenLeaks. Apparently their plan to avoid the whole 'condemnation by every major goverment' is to work with media outlets make their information available to them so they can vet the data and redact the especially sensitive info.
    I can live with that.

Though, if I were a betting man, I'd wager that the same people in power bitching about Wikileaks are going to bitch about that organization, as well.

Penguin Incarnate on
  • Options
    edited December 2010
    I think I would like to work for the christian science monitor.
    They have a pretty sweet track record.

Virgil_Leads_You on
    VayBJ4e.png
  • Options
    edited December 2010
    Yeah, but their health plan is just a manila envelope with a slip of paper that reads "Pray harder."

Penguin Incarnate on
  • Options
    DruhimDruhim Registered User, ClubPA regular
    edited December 2010
    Druhim wrote: »
    Wikileaks mentions that it's planning to release a metric fuckton of documents, then surprisingly Assange is arrested, held in custody, Wikileaks is getting hit with DDoS attacks, their DNS provider pulled the plug, Mastercard/paypal as well as other financial backers pull out and his assets are frozen.

I find the whole thing rather fascinating.
    See? Meiz gets it. Meiz gets intrigue.

I don't know, I'd suggest that if Meiz agrees with you it might be time to reconsider your position. 8-)

It's pretty unprecedented that financial institutions are backing away from Wikileaks when no official charges have been made or given to the company. By all means, put your head between your legs and sit down. At least that will lessen the chances that you might actually procreate one of these days after you figure out how to pry yourself from your keyboard and dust off your peen.

comedy gold right here

Druhim on
    belruelotterav-1.jpg
  • Options
    AneurhythmiaAneurhythmia Registered User regular
    edited December 2010
    Smart Hero wrote: »

That's what WikiLeaks already did this time around and attempted to do previously. The major difference is that OpenLeaks won't have its own publishing apparatus, which completely neuters the effectiveness of the operation while still putting them at the same potential legal risks. They're just hoping to dodge attention by standing behind established publications.

Aneurhythmia on
  • Options
    FandyienFandyien But Otto, what about us? Registered User regular
    edited December 2010
    i am down with wikileaks

yo

Fandyien on
    reposig.jpg
  • Options
    edited December 2010
    i just drank some hot coco and a shower sounds pretty good but it's so goddamn cold in my basement that i reaaaally don't wanna be wet.

I feel so much better. I'd write in detail but my publisher is threatening to yank my column if I don't get some op blurbs for the latest spidey sighting.

Weaver on
  • Options
    Metzger MeisterMetzger Meister It Gets Worse before it gets any better.Registered User regular
    edited December 2010
    damnit weaver you're not peter parker.

Metzger Meister on
  • Options
    edited December 2010
    Yeah, I know. That jerk-off camwhore couldn't write his way out of a Monday edition lifestyle caption.

Weaver on
  • Options
    edited December 2010
    http://213.251.145.96/origin/42_0.html

That's what my Embassy's been up to. Note how the "classified" ones are especially boring and uninteresting.

Meiz on
  • Options
    Lucky CynicLucky Cynic Registered User regular
    edited December 2010
    By the way, dunno if anyone saw but apparently a new leaker has sprung up. This goes by the less zingy name of "open leaks" and features amazingly an even less photogenic head honcho.

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2010/12/10/openleaks-wikileaks-rival_n_794939.html

Thoughts?

Lucky Cynic on
  • Options
    FandyienFandyien But Otto, what about us? Registered User regular
    edited December 2010
    jerkcity4401.gif

international community comic

Fandyien on
    reposig.jpg
  • Options
    FrankoFranko Sometimes I really wish I had four feet so I could dance with myself to the drumbeat Registered User regular
    edited December 2010
    By the way, dunno if anyone saw but apparently a new leaker has sprung up. This goes by the less zingy name of "open leaks" and features amazingly an even less photogenic head honcho.

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2010/12/10/openleaks-wikileaks-rival_n_794939.html

Thoughts?
    WOW!! Way to go, Kid!!

This 15 years old has more passion and more commitment to what is right than President Obama hs shown since he become POTUS!

We need more Americans like this British teenager!!

Franko on
  • Options
    edited December 2010
    Franko wrote: »

Thoughts?
    WOW!! Way to go, Kid!!

This 15 years old has more passion and more commitment to what is right than President Obama hs shown since he become POTUS!

that guy's commenting on the wrong article.

Metzger Meister on
  • Options
    DichotomyDichotomy Registered User regular
    edited December 2010
    Franko wrote: »

somewhere, TLB feels that something is profoundly wrong

Dichotomy on
    0BnD8l3.gif
This discussion has been closed.