As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Mount and Blade:Warband-X Mod better than Y Mod- Z Mod okay

• Options
    Steel AngelSteel Angel Registered User regular
    I think I'm most intrigued by 5. In M&B, you pretty much played the same game every time, but if they do this right, then it will add even more replayability. I always wanted deeper RP elements in the game, and this might just do that.

The only way forward in M&B was to become a vassal and then do war things. You had other things like tournaments and enterprises but they weren't that deep. If I can really set up a trade empire for the sake of setting one up as opposed to just funding my garrisons and squad it will be a welcome change.

Big Dookie wrote: »
    I found that tilting it doesn't work very well, and once I started jerking it, I got much better results.

Steam Profile
    3DS: 3454-0268-5595 Battle.net: SteelAngel#1772
  • Options
    ElvenshaeElvenshae Registered User regular
    Bannerlord is going to be featured at PC Gamer's PC GAMING SHOW at E3, starting at 1300 Eastern, with a focus on showing improved battle AI.

"ANNOUNCMENTS" to follow!

https://www.pcgamingshow.com/

• Options
    CampyCampy Registered User regular
    Elvenshae wrote: »
    Bannerlord is going to be featured at PC Gamer's PC GAMING SHOW at E3, starting at 1300 Eastern, with a focus on showing improved battle AI.

Yesssssss, glorioussssssss!

Can someone keep the thread updated, I'm at work and combing sites for E3 news is probably going the frowned upon. Moreso than the occasional forum check anyway...

• Options
    Campy wrote: »
    Elvenshae wrote: »

Yesssssss, glorioussssssss!

Can someone keep the thread updated, I'm at work and combing sites for E3 news is probably going the frowned upon. Moreso than the occasional forum check anyway...

Will do!

• Options
    Currently showing XCOM 2 stuff with JAKE SOLOMON, GENTLEMAN ADVENTURER.

• Options
    TheKoolEagleTheKoolEagle Registered User regular
    Was there more than just the trailer? I'm frothing at the mouth for information.

uNMAGLm.png Mon-Fri 8:30 PM CST - 11:30 PM CST
  • Options
    Okay, they showed some combat from a D'Shar-type faction and a Sarleon type fashion. Was about 5 minutes long, and all of my screenshots except the first look like butts.

But, here's it showing off the large number of troops:

eturuszzze8n.jpg

• Options
    So far, that's it. Combat videos look like M&B, with waaaaaay better graphics.

Digging the new command structure, and can't wait to play more with it.

I WONDER WHEN I'LL BE ABLE TO DO THAT, TALEWORLDS.

• Options
    TychoCelchuuuTychoCelchuuu PIGEON Registered User regular
    Looks pretty good! I was wondering if they'd try completely or even partially redoing the combat but aside from horse charges it seems more or less identical. That's not a big deal - it was great already - but I wonder whether there's any room for improvement there.

• Options
    Like, holy cow, the graphics are awesome. Those are some seriously Vidal Sassoon horses.

• Options
    DarmakDarmak RAGE vympyvvhyc vyctyvyRegistered User regular
    All I give a shit about is additions to multiplayer, or if it'll even be in the game. If there isn't any online then I probably won't bother picking it up

JtgVX0H.png
  • Options
    Darmak wrote: »
    All I give a shit about is additions to multiplayer, or if it'll even be in the game. If there isn't any online then I probably won't bother picking it up
    This site suggests it has MP. I'd be pretty surprised if they didn't include it.

• Options
    AxenAxen My avatar is Excalibur. Yes, the sword.Registered User regular
    I'd love for some more info, but honestly if it is just M&B but better I'd still be down.

Keep in mind vanilla M&B was made by one dude over the course of years before Paradox picked it up. Man, I remember buying in to M&B early access (before EA was even a thing!) back in 2004 for $5. Best five bucks I ever spent.

So M&B: Again made by a full dev team with money I am sold on sight unseen. :razz:

Anything more and it is just icing on a delicious cake for me.

A Capellan's favorite sheath for any blade is your back.
  • Options
    DarmakDarmak RAGE vympyvvhyc vyctyvyRegistered User regular
    Darmak wrote: »
    This site suggests it has MP. I'd be pretty surprised if they didn't include it.

That's good to hear. I only thought it not having multi might be a thing because I hadn't heard any mention of it, and the idea that they might decide to not include it so as to better work on the single player portion of the game isn't farfetched at all (nor would I blame them, really, since most people don't care about the multi and are in it for the single player anyway)

JtgVX0H.png
  • Options
    I too purchased M&B in its days of early access. I won't be sad if there is no multplayer/co-op campaign, it will still be amazing.

• Options
    MassenaMassena Registered User regular
    Axen wrote: »
    I'd love for some more info, but honestly if it is just M&B but better I'd still be down.

Keep in mind vanilla M&B was made by one dude over the course of years before Paradox picked it up. Man, I remember buying in to M&B early access (before EA was even a thing!) back in 2004 for $5. Best five bucks I ever spent.

So M&B: Again made by a full dev team with money I am sold on sight unseen. :razz:

Anything more and it is just icing on a delicious cake for me.

I have literally thought that exact same thing before. When I think about how much I got out of that game for five freaking dollars..... Yeah, this is probably a sight unseen buy for me.

That whole rush of MP Chivalry and War of the Roses, all claiming to be "like M&B" a few years back. Yeah, just like M&B, except no single player, which was kind of a large draw.... Good to see this one didn't die in development.

• Options
    edited June 2017
    The Taleworlds website has some better information:
    Taleworlds wrote:
    Key Battle Improvements

Battles are at the very core of the series and play better than ever in the latest instalment.
    • Advanced Formations – Merge and split forces at your behest, with intuitive but powerful control over the movement, form and behavior of every unit! Order heavy infantry to hold together, shoulder-to-shoulder in a slowly advancing but near impenetrable shield wall; or launch your cavalry in lightning charges using the skein formation.
    • Battlefield AI – AI commanders can execute complex tactics, utilizing the advanced formation options to present a formidable challenge. Their behavior is drawn from actual historical tacticians, for example Alexander the great, who used his superior cavalry forces to rout their counterparts in the opposing army, before delivering a crushing blow to the enemy’s main force. This not only creates the feeling of an authentic medieval battle but also proves effective in-game, as in reality.
    • Sergeant System – Commanders now designate units to other lords in battle, including the player! Execute the orders issued by your commander throughout the fight, and use your own instincts to do your part and help secure victory on the field of battle. Lead the horse archers as they skirmish and harass the enemy to disrupt their lines before your allies finish them off, or take control of the cavalry and charge into the fray to devastate entire units at once!

Key Combat Updates

Mount & Blade II: Bannerlord also features greatly updated combat, which builds on previous instalments in a number of ways while retaining its intuitive, direction-based core that made it so popular among players.
    • Directional Shield Blocking and Shield Bash – These two features revitalize the sword & board gameplay, making it a more engaging experience than ever before! Blocking in the wrong direction will not necessarily get you killed but it will cause your shield to break faster, leaving you defenseless against missiles and vulnerable against multiple foes. Shield bashing, a highly requested feature, temporarily stuns your opponent and knocks them back, lowering their defenses and giving you room to breathe.
    • Attack Chaining – Swings that complete their motion can now be chained into follow-up attacks which can catch your opponent off-guard after a miss. Unbalanced weapons such as hammers and axes also use the momentum of the first swing for a faster follow-up!
    • Improved Animations and Combat Engine – Huge effort has gone into making Mount & Blade II: Bannerlord’s combat as fluid and visually appealing as possible. Damage dealt is now calculated with a great degree of physical depth, factoring in the weight distribution of every individual weapon. This means that whether you are executing a perfectly timed thrust while thundering towards a hapless archer on horseback or shooting an arrow across the battlefield to whittle down your opponent’s infantry forces before the melee, the game will understand all of the forces involved and produce consistent, realistic and satisfying results every time.

That is actually way cooler than just what they showed.

Elvenshae on
  • Options
    Sir CarcassSir Carcass I have been shown the end of my world Round Rock, TXRegistered User regular
    The sergeant system sounds pretty cool. It would help ease you into command as you grow in power. It also adds a bit of RP flair.

• Options
    I think it'll also be neat to more or less go, "Hey, Diev - you manage the archers; Boadice, you take the heavy cav. I'll take the heavy foot."

• Options
    Sir CarcassSir Carcass I have been shown the end of my world Round Rock, TXRegistered User regular
    It'll just depend on how intelligent the AI is on whether or not I'll use it much, but it'll be cool to not have to micromanage the whole battle.

• Options
    CampyCampy Registered User regular
    The cavalry charge through the small infantry unit had some nice meatiness to it. Hard to tell I'll we play it, but the physics looks better all round.

• Options
    Campy wrote: »
    The cavalry charge through the small infantry unit had some nice meatiness to it. Hard to tell I'll we play it, but the physics looks better all round.

I noticed some of the weapon animations looked better, too. Probably part of that attack chaining system.

• Options
    A WILD BLOG POST APPEARS! It's all about the post-E3 reaction and some of their thoughts about what they showed off and why.

https://www.taleworlds.com/en/Games/Bannerlord/Blog/18

Highlights:
    The demo itself revolved around the two battle scenarios we published as videos at the start of E3: “Horse Archer Sergeant Gameplay” and “Cavalry Sergeant Gameplay”. “Sergeant” here is referring to the fact that in these scenarios, we are controlling a single formation while receiving orders from our commander - essentially acting as a sub-commander. The idea is that when multiple parties enter a battle on the same side, the senior ranking leader will take overall command and designate individual formations as they wish. The player can fit in at any level of this system, just like the AI, and so depending on their company and individual progress can expect to be commanding part or all of the army in Bannerlord.

This allows players to be part of larger battles at an earlier stage in the game, giving them a taste of command without being too overwhelming. It also serves as a reward for progress, connects the player more closely to their AI peers and adds variety to the battle gameplay. In our system, we also allow the player to designate control to the AI at any time, so while you have the option to design and execute a specific strategy, you can also just get stuck in and focus on your own personal combat.
    Of course, we understand a lot of you are looking to hear a release date and more details on the politics and campaign side of single player. In our opinion, the most important thing is to deliver a great game, worthy of our efforts and your expectations. We have so far avoided giving a release date thinking it would distract us from our attention to quality. The campaign is something we can definitely show off more and we’re looking at the best way to do it justice, and present it with the clarity and depth that it deserves.
    In other news, we would like to introduce our new Community Manager, Callum, who will work alongside Frank and help improve our direct communication with you, the community! He has already made a huge impact organising the Steam forums and we expect he will continue to keep up the great work in the future.

• Options
    KorhedronKorhedron Registered User regular
    Allright. This sounds great! It's been a while since I looked for info on Bannerlord, and I'm kinda surprised to see they've finally come close to a launch :)

These are the stories of Dwarf Fortress. Legends have been forged there, and meticulousy gathered in one mighty hub: http://dfstories.com/start-here/
  • Options
    edited July 2017
    Korhedron wrote: »
    Allright. This sounds great! It's been a while since I looked for info on Bannerlord, and I'm kinda surprised to see they've finally come close to a launch :)

Oh, you sweet summer child ... :D

Elvenshae on
  • Options
    Big News!

There was a Viking Conquest update yesterday! :P

I've actually been in the mood for vikings lately, so I think I might give it a go.

• Options
    edited July 2017
    Big News!

There was a Viking Conquest update yesterday! :P

I've actually been in the mood for vikings lately, so I think I might give it a go.

Hah hah hah ...

I'd just checked the Taleworlds site earlier today and saw the Viking Conquest update.

Then I saw the update here, and thought, "Sonuvabitch, I can't believe they snuck in a Bannerlord update after I made my daily visit."

Shoulda known better ... :D

Elvenshae on
  • Options
    KadokenKadoken Giving Ends to my Friends and it Feels Stupendous Registered User regular
    edited July 2017
    So I'm on a Warhammer kick, and by Warhammer kick I probably have thought about Warhammer once a day for the past 6 years, so I'm trying out Warsword Conquest, the weirdly named Warhammer Fantasy mod for Warband. It looks solid, although it makes me appreciate CA more for Warhammer Total War.

You can play as pretty much all the humanoid races like dorf, humie, urk, gobbo, skaven, elf, vampire. On some like orcs and vampires and their minions, the modeling looks pretty neat. Goblins are fugly like woah though. Skaven look alright but a little tall.

For some reason none of these Empire lords look right, except for Boris Toddbringer. Which is strange to me because even with Warband's meh faces, mods like Gekokujo, Anno Domini, Pendor, and L'Aigle have done alright with what they're given.

It's spread out on a condensed map from the Empire, down to the Southlands that includes Araby, to the northern part of Lustria and eastern parts of Naggaroth. Nordland, and Hochland's holdings basically don't exist, Sylvania's towns and castles are all clustered together, probably making them hard as gromril to attack, while the Empire feels relatively sparse in comparison though you do have like 4-5 cities. Carroburg is a generic Warband village, when even stealing a scene from Anno Domini or Sayazn would probably fit better.

For some reason Tilea is replaced with the "Pirate Cities", and Estalia is nothing but Beastmen. There are Nipponese colonies on the Central America bit between Naggaroth and Lustria, and their equipment models look like they were taken from Gekkokujo (which I'm not complaining, they're very nice looking models).

It's also basic compared to Pendor, Gekkokujo, L'Aigle, and Perisno. Besides a neat morality system, it hews closely to Warband vanilla.

The troops look neat though, as do the armor and weapons, there's a lot of variety with all the races and factions. Also has guns. I like black powder in mount and blade.

Would love to see this redone in bannerlord, maybe with the new siege weapon system we could get cannons n such. Luckily, it doesn't have the weird million buttons for magic powers of perisno but also has no magic.

I kind of wanted a more basic mod to maybe finally finish and beat though, it will work. It helps it's in a universe I enjoy and looks neat.

Edit: Okay so this mod may be unfinished even though it's out of beta? The lords don't seem to have any lord personalities, NPCs in villages, even in orc ones, are all humans. There are orcish women? The caravans will get lost and try to travel in a straight line for days, where I saw an Araby trade ship just linger right outside Talabheim and the crater it's in. Some places will have neat unique scenes, like Nuln or Altdorf. Some will have just standard Warband stuff, and it's just weird walking into a Swadian village when I go into an orcish town.

I almost feel like trying another Sayazn run instead, because while that mod does seem like it might have some unfinished stuff- Kasthind, if you're a noble of it, will be screwed up in modernizing it if you don't have a submod where you can only recruit a bandit type for some reason, also the revolutionary events where a city will get taken over by "revolutionaries" will spawn like 800 men, where your only choice is to win by attrition- it also seems more complete. That or go back to Gekokujo, that's a pretty polished mod.

Human female villagers also can't become anything. That's dumb, I always liked rescuing them in other games because they would usually turn into something unique, even though most of their tiers were pretty meh.

Oh shit, Sayazn 3.0 is out. Oh shit, someone made a new version of Gekokujo incorporating a lot of submods I like.

Kadoken on
  • Options
    edited July 2017
    I'm really impressed with Viking Conquest so far. They've added quite a bit to the game. It has an honest to goodness branching storyline that's actually not bad! It's pretty long so far, too. It takes place around 867, and the map contains the various petty kingdoms of Ireland, Scotland, Wales, England, Frisia, and part of Denmark and Norway. The names and locations are fairly accurate, as are most of the lords. There's a crapload of factions (10? 15?) It does a good job of playing with the setting, using the various myths and folklore.

It adds some new formations and battle preparations. You can zoom out to see a birds eye view of the battlefield. You can buy ships and sail, raid, and attack other ships, with actual ship to ship combat (with you controlling the ship!) and boarding. You can build a refuge that is kind of like your own little village, and grow and improve it, hire staff, and use it as a small base (I think fully upgraded, the garrison can hold 250). It won't be attacked or anything, it's more for RP. The siege gameplay is slightly more involved in the planning stage (you can build latrines to keep your soldiers healthy, forage for food, sneak in and scope out the defenses). The first place I sieged said it had food for 7 days, but I needed more men to actually blockade it, though at least it wasn't a ridiculous amount of waiting.

Your companions are recruited as part of the story, but they'll react to your decisions, even possible attacking you or leaving if you make certain decisions. You can be a pagan or christian, with various holy sites and things related to that. It's got intrigue, politics, betrayal, and everything else you could want. You can choose to do a full sandbox game if you don't want to mess with the story, though the story kind of eases you into everything. Check it out if you're looking for a slight twist on the M&B formula.

Sir Carcass on
  • Options
    KadokenKadoken Giving Ends to my Friends and it Feels Stupendous Registered User regular
    edited July 2017
    Sayazn real good y'all.

It's a mastahpeece.

It also really hits that FOTS spot of old tech vs new tech without the old tech entirely being useless. Enough islander, African, South American, Samurai(?) Dudes make it to your musketeers you're screwed. What even is Ishtar.

Edit: gonna retract that a bit. He STILL has not fixed the village spawn glitch where both armies spawn in this tiny corner.

Edit 2: Egg on face. Guys don't play Sayazn 3.0. The guy broke more than he fixed. I keep spawning in the worst places, some of which make me automatically lose stuff like arena fights.

Kadoken on
  • Options
    edited August 2017
    Gamescom is approaching, and Taleworlds has a new blog post! Mostly, it's about why they haven't given us a release date.

https://www.taleworlds.com/en/Games/Bannerlord/Blog/21

Key thoughts:
    Greetings warriors of Calradia! Gamescom is around the corner, and as you may have imagined, we will be there showcasing Mount & Blade II: Bannerlord. We can’t tell you exactly what we will show just yet, but we can at least confirm that it will be something slightly different from the demo that we took to E3.

Before the hype goes through the roof: no, we won’t announce a release date for Bannerlord at Gamescom.
    We have not disclosed a release date so far because it does not exist. We don’t work like that. We are not a company who sets a timeline to release a product and then works to meet that deadline. We are TaleWorlds Entertainment: we create games because we love making them, and we want them to be the best games that we can possibly make. We think that our fans don’t deserve less than our best efforts, our total commitment. We don’t believe in releasing a game before it is ready just because we might miss the hype.
    From a business perspective, there is no benefit at all for us to delay the release. The only thing that is important to us is developing a game that is truly unique, something that you will enjoy playing as much as we love making it. To sum this up: the release date will be announced only when the game is ready.
    Why so many years then? Well, the main reason is the size of the game. Bannerlord has a huge sandbox campaign which contains a number of different features that players can experience and enjoy. This includes, but is not limited to: fief and kingdom management, a deep trading system, a diplomacy and relationship system, and epic battles with hundreds of on-screen combatants that the player can command. Then there’s the multiplayer aspect of the game, featuring a matchmaking system for the first time in the Mount & Blade series, which lets players test their combat and tactical skills against players from all over the world. We are also working on ways to support our fantastic modding community by making the game as highly moddable as possible. Five years is actually not that long for the development of a game which encompasses as much as Bannerlord does. There are a lot of fundamental tech and architecture changes compared to Warband: it’s more complex than just adding some new textures and animations. It involves the technology, such as the new engine we built from scratch, but also the system, the mechanics – this is about balancing the invisible, the look and feel of the gameplay.

Elvenshae on
  • Options
    everytime i see a ping for this thread I go look, to excitedly see taleworlds announce the immediate release of m&b2. So far I have been deeply disappointed at least 12 times.

• Options
    everytime i see a ping for this thread I go look, to excitedly see taleworlds announce the immediate release of m&b2. So far I have been deeply disappointed at least 12 times.

Yeah, at this point I just kinda forget to check their website for weeks on end, when I used to visit every week to get the latest news.

• Options
    SLyMSLyM Registered User regular
    One upside is that it sounds like once we do get a date, it will be one that is very close.

My friend is working on a roguelike game you can play if you want to. (It has free demo)
  • Options
    yfairyz7n5gz.png

• Options
    A duck!A duck! Moderator, ClubPA mod
    yfairyz7n5gz.png

I would have guessed butter shortage.

• Options
    edited August 2017
    Mount & Blade II: Bannerlord Gamescom 2017 Captain Mode
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=c_3el4IAevg

Sir Carcass on
  • Options
    fuck that looked awesome. whens this game coming out?!?!?!?!?!

• Options
    That is amazing. It's basically everything I've ever wanted from M&B multiplayer. I can't wait to see what modders end up doing with that mode.