As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Steam | CHRISTMAS SALE! - Wait for Daily Deals on Games You Want

• Options
    iamthepiemaniamthepieman Registered User regular
    edited December 2010
    It still sort of blows my mind that there are people not just in this world but on these forums who have not played Deus Ex

I didn't have a gaming pc when it came out and then I was mostly an xbox gamer a few years after that and then it just kind of fell between the cracks.

iamthepieman on
  • Options
    AntoshkaAntoshka Miauen Oil Change LazarusRegistered User regular
    edited December 2010
    It still sort of blows my mind that there are people not just in this world but on these forums who have not played Deus Ex
    Of course, since Steam came along, it's been a lot easier to reinstall when people mention it on forums like this.

So, I mean, there's that.

Antoshka on
    n57PM0C.jpg
  • Options
    ElinElin Registered User regular
    edited December 2010
    Now I want to bake a pie.

pie.jpg

Elin on
    Switch SW-5832-5050-0149
    PSN Hypacia
    Xbox HypaciaMinnow
    Discord Hypacia#0391
  • Options
    Michael HMichael H Registered User regular
    edited December 2010
    So which one was the good X-Com, the one that everyone's always pitching a tent about and calling the best game ever?

Michael H on
  • Options
    remlap13remlap13 Registered User regular
    edited December 2010
    Can someone please explain to me how this Christmas Sale will work?

Those daily deals (BC2, Super Meat Boy, etc), do they expire when the timer runs out, and then more pop up? Is that just for the daily deals? Do things like the indie packs, and all the developer packs stay all the way until Jan 2nd?

Just a quick run-down would be appreciated. That way I know whether or not I can afford to wait to see what's there tomorrow, or if I have to start buying stuff now.

remlap13 on
  • Options
    MaddocMaddoc I'm Bobbin Threadbare, are you my mother? Registered User regular
    edited December 2010
    Michael H wrote: »
    So which one was the good X-Com, the one that everyone's always pitching a tent about and calling the best game ever?

The first one, UFO Defense

Maddoc on
  • Options
    Michael HMichael H Registered User regular
    edited December 2010
    Maddoc wrote: »

Thanks. I've come to understand it's the only one worth having.

Michael H on
  • Options
    mere_immortalmere_immortal So tasty!Registered User regular
    edited December 2010
    Everything but the first page with the timer lasts until January 2nd.

When the timer resets the first page of deals are changed to something else. That happens daily.

mere_immortal on
    Steam: mere_immortal - PSN: mere_immortal - XBL: lego pencil - Wii U: mimmortal - 3DS: 1521-7234-1642 - Bordgamegeek: mere_immortal
  • Options
    SkutSkutSkutSkut Registered User regular
    edited December 2010
    5 more entries for pies gents!

SkutSkut on
  • Options
    edited December 2010

When the timer resets the first page of deals are changed to something else. That happens daily.

Thanks friend. Super Meat Boy will be purchased now then.

remlap13 on
  • Options
    ElinElin Registered User regular
    edited December 2010
    remlap13 wrote: »

Those daily deals (BC2, Super Meat Boy, etc), do they expire when the timer runs out, and then more pop up? Is that just for the daily deals? Do things like the indie packs, and all the developer packs stay all the way until Jan 2nd?

Just a quick run-down would be appreciated. That way I know whether or not I can afford to wait to see what's there tomorrow, or if I have to start buying stuff now.

The sales on the front page expire when the timer does and new sales pop up. All other deals will stay until the 2nd. There are some packs that explicitly say they'll be around until the second. Now, the games on sale today that aren't daily deal may, in fact, be tomorrows daily deals. That's why everyone is saying wait til the last day just to make sure you don't screw yourself.

Elin on
    Switch SW-5832-5050-0149
    PSN Hypacia
    Xbox HypaciaMinnow
    Discord Hypacia#0391
  • Options
    mtsmts Dr. Robot King Registered User regular
    edited December 2010
    if its a daily deal the price will go up when the timer changes over. really you should only buy games if they are a daily deal since its almost guarenteed that if you buy a big ticket game on day #n it will be a daily deal and substantially cheaper on day #n+1

otherwise wait til the end unless you have zero willpower

mts on
    camo_sig.png
  • Options
    edited December 2010

Thanks. I've come to understand it's the only one worth having.

Terror from the Deep is also good, and very similar to UFO Defense.

It is more difficult, but also less fun in my opinion however because all of the weapons you can develop completely fucking suck.

Maddoc on
  • Options
    emp123emp123 Registered User regular
    edited December 2010
    Entriech wrote: »
    emp123 wrote: »
    If a game goes on sale now, will it go on sale again later in the week, possibly for less?

I, too, am quite interested to know the answer to this question. I'm pretty sure I already know the answer, but it'd be nice to get confirmation from those of you who have done this a bit more than I have.
    Generally the daily sales are the cheapest a game will get during the week. A very few times a game has come back for a repeat sale on a later date, or been cheaper as part of a pack. Traditionally the last couple sales have had the last day of deals be the top seller deals from earlier in the week.

The best strategy is to snap up any daily deal you want, and otherwise wait to place your order til January 2nd.

Alright thanks, I was wondering if I should snag Bad Company 2 now for $6.75 or if I should wait and see if it becomes a daily deal. So right now its $6.57 till January 2nd, but it may go on sale for cheaper if it becomes a daily?

EDIT: Oh shit, it is a daily. Purchased.

emp123 on
  • Options
    edited December 2010

can we put a description of how the daily deals work in the OP? I imagine this question is going to get asked a lot.

iamthepieman on
  • Options
    LordGravewishLordGravewish Registered User regular
    edited December 2010
    WTH? I just bought some stuff in the web-browser (instead of with Steam) and now it's telling me "your transaction is almost complete" and "Click here if nothing happens"... When I click it it runs Steam, and does nothing... And the money has been deducted from my account >_< It's still in my cart too...

LordGravewish on
    Without me, it's just aweso.
    Xfire: lordgravewish
    Steam: LordGravewish
  • Options
    edited December 2010
    If a game goes on sale now, will it go on sale again later in the week, possibly for less?

I, too, am quite interested to know the answer to this question. I'm pretty sure I already know the answer, but it'd be nice to get confirmation from those of you who have done this a bit more than I have.
    Generally the daily sales are the cheapest a game will get during the week. A very few times a game has come back for a repeat sale on a later date, or been cheaper as part of a pack. Traditionally the last couple sales have had the last day of deals be the top seller deals from earlier in the week.

The best strategy is to snap up any daily deal you want, and otherwise wait to place your order til January 2nd.

Alright thanks, I was wondering if I should snag Bad Company 2 now for $6.75 or if I should wait and see if it becomes a daily deal. So right now its $6.57 till January 2nd, but it may go on sale for cheaper if it becomes a daily?

BC2 is a daily deal right now, actually.

Maddoc on
  • Options
    edited December 2010

Ive owned it for like a year and Ive only just recently got past the tutorial...

emp123 on
  • Options
    edited December 2010
    Their servers are getting hammered transactions are probably going to take a bit longer than normal.

iamthepieman on
  • Options
    TellermanTellerman Registered User regular
    edited December 2010
    Alright, so.

I'm interested in FO3: GOTY and FO3: NEW Vegas. I already have vanilla 3 for the ps3 I was just hoping to get in on some mod and DLC goodness, and I find myself having trouble justifying $20 for that. However, I see that Bethesda has a Mega-Pack on sale, and I own one of those games on PC. Decisions, Decisions.

Tellerman on
  • Options
    ShadeShade Registered User regular
    edited December 2010

*tentatively raises hand*

EDIT: top of page with my shame!

Shade on
  • Options
    TheKoolEagleTheKoolEagle Registered User regular
    edited December 2010

Ive owned it for like a year and Ive only just recently got past the tutorial...

for the first time ever i will play deus ex as well, i am quite ashamed of myself because of that

edit: wtf? i was second from totp now i'm 3rd? how does that work?

TheKoolEagle on
    uNMAGLm.png Mon-Fri 8:30 PM CST - 11:30 PM CST
  • Options
    The MantizThe Mantiz BONK! DenmarkRegistered User regular
    edited December 2010
    As fancy as it can be!

0R979528.png

The Mantiz on
    3DS - 2878-9572-9277
  • Options
    PheacePheace Registered User regular
    edited December 2010

Actually Page 15 has a daily Indie sale.

Today Sol Survivor half price.

Pheace on
  • Options
    SkutSkutSkutSkut Registered User regular
    edited December 2010
    Also, do people still play Bad Company 2 vanilla or will I be needing Vietnam pretty much?

SkutSkut on
  • Options
    edited December 2010

I think that right now, its 6.75 for today only. But it may not come back on sale again later. I think is how it works. So if you don't get it today for 6.75, then you may not get it at all on sale.

Or am I wrong?

remlap13 on
  • Options
    UselesswarriorUselesswarrior Registered User regular
    edited December 2010
    It begins!

Going to pick up super meat boy in preparation for the release of the Mac version.

I wonder if VVVVVV is going to get cheaper then 50%.

Uselesswarrior on
    Hey I made a game, check it out @ http://ifallingrobot.com/. (Or don't, your call)
  • Options
    edited December 2010
    Tellerman wrote: »
    Alright, so.

I'm interested in FO3: GOTY and FO3: NEW Vegas. I already have vanilla 3 for the ps3 I was just hoping to get in on some mod and DLC goodness, and I find myself having trouble justifying $20 for that. However, I see that Bethesda has a Mega-Pack on sale, and I own one of those games on PC. Decisions, Decisions.

This is my problem as well. I already have FO3:GOTY but I want New Vegas. The pack also includes Oblivion which Im mildly interested in (I played it, didnt really care for it, played it on xbox loved it but never beat it, and I just yesterday borrowed my friends copy of Oblivion for 360....but...but mods and New Vegas!)... what to do!?

I think that right now, its 6.75 for today only. But it may not come back on sale again later. I think is how it works. So if you don't get it today for 6.75, then you may not get it at all on sale.

Or am I wrong?

Nah, Im pretty sure your right. I didnt think it was a daily since Im pretty sure Ive seen it for $6.75 before.

emp123 on
  • Options
    Unco-ordinatedUnco-ordinated NZRegistered User regular
    edited December 2010
    Antoshka wrote: »
    I'm in New Zealand.

Like Australia, we have the Steam store in USD. Our prices are doubled for no reason whatsoever, there isn't even a currency conversion to hide it.

(Though, they could pretty much change it to AUD now, no one would know the difference)

*facepalm* I know, look at my location. I was talking about the post you quoted.
    Airan wrote: »
    WOO YEAH BC2 FOR £6.79 HOT DIGGITY
    Aka, not double the price. :P

Anyway, Munch's Oddysee and Stranger's Wrath aren't showing up in my profiles game list. What's up with that?

Edit: Wait, BC2 is $6.79 in the US too? Those bastards!

Unco-ordinated on
    Steam ID - LiquidSolid170 | PSN ID - LiquidSolid
  • Options
    PeewiPeewi Registered User regular
    edited December 2010
    I just got home and I'm looking at the sale. At the very least I'm getting OddBoxx and FEAR. I already have a disc copy of FEAR, but I've never played the expansions.

Peewi on
  • Options
    LordGravewishLordGravewish Registered User regular
    edited December 2010
    So I'm thinking that something got screwed up and I got deducted 15€ without getting my games... Damn it >_<

Received a mail from paypal but still none from Steam, something's screwed up, thinking of contacting support...

LordGravewish on
    Without me, it's just aweso.
    Xfire: lordgravewish
    Steam: LordGravewish
  • Options
    CherrnCherrn Registered User regular
    edited December 2010
    SkutSkut wrote: »
    Also, do people still play Bad Company 2 vanilla or will I be needing Vietnam pretty much?

Vietnam is essentially its own game with its own maps and weapons. BC 2 vanilla is still there and still fantastic if you want those maps and guns. You basically switch between the two on the menu, but the overall level progression is shared.

Edit: Misread your question. Yes, people still play BC 2 en masse.

Cherrn on
    All creature will die and all the things will be broken. That's the law of samurai.
  • Options
    edited December 2010
    I've got a very strong feeling, based on the response I've seen, that the Oddboxx is going to be very high on the top sellers list tomorrow

Maddoc on
  • Options
    DeMoNDeMoN twitch.tv/toxic_cizzle Registered User regular
    edited December 2010
    God I hate steam christmas sales.

Every day becomes trying to kill time until the next day of sales starts. But usually that time is killed by playing new games, so that part is pretty cool.

DeMoN on
    Steam id : Toxic Cizzle
    *TyCart*_banner.jpg
  • Options
    AntoshkaAntoshka Miauen Oil Change LazarusRegistered User regular
    edited December 2010
    In a completely random observation, I've only just noticed you can add PSN / XBLive / Wii Friend tags to your profile. But there's no Steam tag. A shame, that.

Antoshka on
    n57PM0C.jpg
  • Options
    edited December 2010
    so I think I'm going to buy a couple copies of Super Meat Boy to gift out to people. If I use the "send gift via email option" can I email it to myself and then just forward that email to someone later on?

I want to take advantage of the daily deal on it now but don't have all the people I want to send it to lined up yet.

iamthepieman on
  • Options
    CherrnCherrn Registered User regular
    edited December 2010
    I've got a very strong feeling, based on the response I've seen, that the Oddboxx is going to be very high on the top sellers list tomorrow

I have to say it was pretty smart not making Stranger's Wrath available on its own, since that's the game that people really want.

Not a knock against the Abe games, but they've been on Steam since forever, and I already owned them myself.

Edit: Oh, I guess you can buy it on its own now. You couldn't earlier. Oh well, at least I wouldn't have paid any less if I had just gone for Stranger and Munch.

Cherrn on
    All creature will die and all the things will be broken. That's the law of samurai.
  • Options
    edited December 2010
    so I think I'm going to buy a couple copies of Super Meat Boy to gift out to people. If I use the "send gift via email option" can I email it to myself and then just forward that email to someone later on?

I want to take advantage of the daily deal on it now but don't have all the people I want to send it to lined up yet.

Yes, although according to Figgy doing that too much is apparently suspicious to Steam :P

Maddoc on
  • Options
    joshofalltradesjoshofalltrades Class Traitor Smoke-filled roomRegistered User regular
    edited December 2010

for the first time ever i will play deus ex as well, i am quite ashamed of myself because of that

edit: wtf? i was second from totp now i'm 3rd? how does that work?

As long as you're playing it through to completion, your sins can be atoned for

DE is one of the only games I can recommend to anybody 10 years after its initial release without making a bunch of qualifier statements about the graphics or this aspect of the gameplay or whatever

It's just

PLAY DEUS EX

And then your opinion on video games will suddenly be much more valid

joshofalltrades on
  • Options
    DrakeDrake Edgelord Trash Below the ecliptic plane.Registered User regular
    edited December 2010
    MusicalJinx just hit me with Super Meat Boy. Which is totally awesome.

This game will break me, but it's going to be an awesome ride.

Thanks alot!

Drake on