As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Steam | CHRISTMAS SALE! - Wait for Daily Deals on Games You Want

• Options
    iamthepiemaniamthepieman Registered User regular
    edited December 2010
    Maddoc wrote: »
    so I think I'm going to buy a couple copies of Super Meat Boy to gift out to people. If I use the "send gift via email option" can I email it to myself and then just forward that email to someone later on?

I want to take advantage of the daily deal on it now but don't have all the people I want to send it to lined up yet.

Yes, although according to Figgy doing that too much is apparently suspicious to Steam :P

So how much is too much? I want to buy half a dozen copies for later gifting.

iamthepieman on
  • Options
    OlivawOlivaw good name, isn't it? the foot of mt fujiRegistered User regular
    edited December 2010
    Man

Those Bethesda games look mighty attractive

I was just thinking about replaying Morrowind... but I'd have to perform some file-editing voodoo to get it to run mods

Is it really that worth it? I CAN'T DECIDEEEEE

Also still holding out hope that Modern Warfare 2 will go up for sale on Christmas Eve or something

Olivaw on
    signature-deffo.jpg
    PSN ID : DetectiveOlivaw | TWITTER | STEAM ID | NEVER FORGET
  • Options
    Unco-ordinatedUnco-ordinated NZRegistered User regular
    edited December 2010
    Cherrn wrote: »
    I've got a very strong feeling, based on the response I've seen, that the Oddboxx is going to be very high on the top sellers list tomorrow

I have to say it was pretty smart not making Stranger's Wrath available on its own, since that's the game that people really want.

Not a knock against the Abe games, but they've been on Steam since forever, and I already owned them myself.

It is available on its own. But the combined price of Stranger's Wrath and Munch's Oddysee are the same price as the Oddboxx anyway.

Unco-ordinated on
    Steam ID - LiquidSolid170 | PSN ID - LiquidSolid
  • Options
    proyebatproyebat GARY WAS HERE ASH IS A LOSERRegistered User regular
    edited December 2010
    Games for less than five bux. Yessssssssssssssssssssssssss

proyebat on
    455Bo4O.png
  • Options
    ForarForar #432 Toronto, Ontario, CanadaRegistered User regular
    edited December 2010
    I guess this is my excuse to finally buy Deus Ex. Will I be murdered here if I admit to never having played it?

I wish I were you.

Because then I could play it for the first time again.

Also, regarding the Steam sales:

ColbertICalledIt.jpg

Forar on
    First they came for the Muslims, and we said NOT TODAY, MOTHERFUCKER!
  • Options
    joshofalltradesjoshofalltrades Class Traitor Smoke-filled roomRegistered User regular
    edited December 2010
    I think I'm waiting for Arkham Asylum to go on daily sale

joshofalltrades on
  • Options
    MaddocMaddoc I'm Bobbin Threadbare, are you my mother? Registered User regular
    edited December 2010
    Olivaw wrote: »
    Man

Those Bethesda games look mighty attractive

I was just thinking about replaying Morrowind... but I'd have to perform some file-editing voodoo to get it to run mods

Is it really that worth it? I CAN'T DECIDEEEEE

Also still holding out hope that Modern Warfare 2 will go up for sale on Christmas Eve or something

If I didn't already own New Vegas, I would have been all over that Bethesda pack.

Maddoc on
  • Options
    CherrnCherrn Registered User regular
    edited December 2010
    Hrm... what are the odds of Bejeweled 3 going on sale it being just a week old?

I suppose even if it did go on sale, it would only be 25%.

Cherrn on
    All creature will die and all the things will be broken. That's the law of samurai.
  • Options
    OlivawOlivaw good name, isn't it? the foot of mt fujiRegistered User regular
    edited December 2010
    Also is the Prince of Persia '08 port any good? Does it have that prologue? I suppose I can just look up a playthrough of the prologue on youtube or something if it doesn't

Olivaw on
    signature-deffo.jpg
    PSN ID : DetectiveOlivaw | TWITTER | STEAM ID | NEVER FORGET
  • Options
    LepwaveLepwave Registered User regular
    edited December 2010
    Hoping King's Bounty series will end up on the daily sales.

Lepwave on
    XBL/CoX tags - Lepwave/@Lepwave
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    Joe Camacho MKIIJoe Camacho MKII Registered User regular
    edited December 2010
    Oh great! Finally I decide to get Fallout 3: GOTY and for some reason Steam declined my debit card.

It worked perfectly during the treasure hunt, did you didn't like my monies Steam?!

... Is it common during these sales for errors like this to appear? or is it on my end?

I've had problems like this as well. Wait for a little while and try again.

Thans man, I called my bank.

Turns out they had blocked my debit card after trying to buy a couple of humble bundles, which my bank deemed as "unusual transactions".

I only use my debit card to buy videogames.

Oh well, Fallout 3: GOTY BOUGHT!

Now to wait for Mass Effect 2 to go on sale.. After that, anything goes!

Joe Camacho MKII on
    steam_sig.png I edit my posts a lot.
  • Options
    PeewiPeewi Registered User regular
    edited December 2010
    If someone bought me Deus Ex, I might get around to playing it eventually.

Just saying.

Peewi on
  • Options
    FiggyFiggy Fighter of the night man Champion of the sunRegistered User regular
    edited December 2010
    so I think I'm going to buy a couple copies of Super Meat Boy to gift out to people. If I use the "send gift via email option" can I email it to myself and then just forward that email to someone later on?

I want to take advantage of the daily deal on it now but don't have all the people I want to send it to lined up yet.

Yes, although according to Figgy doing that too much is apparently suspicious to Steam :P

So how much is too much? I want to buy half a dozen copies for later gifting.

The problem is that you'll have to buy that game six separate times, since you can't buy a game in quantities. To Steam, it looks like you're quickly trying to max out a fraudulent payment method.

Figgy on
    XBL : Figment3 · SteamID : Figment
  • Options
    TychoCelchuuuTychoCelchuuu PIGEON Registered User regular
    edited December 2010
    I shall pass on Super Meat Boy; I've never been much of a platforming guy and at what is apparently the old, decrepit age of 21 my attempt to play the demo met with a rather brutal series of deaths. Like literally 30-40 deaths on the first few tutorial levels. I never even made it to the hard stuff.

So yeah! None of that. Gotta figure out if I want to repurchase Republic Commando so I can have it Steamified (I sort of don't want to but on the other hand, my avatar...) and I also gotta figure out if I want the Oddworld stuff. Has anyone played Stranger's Wrath yet? What's the PC port like? I'm always wary of buying a port without knowing if it's been done well.

TychoCelchuuu on
  • Options
    TeeManTeeMan BrainSpoon Registered User regular
    edited December 2010
    Well the shopping cart is piling up, but I don't think I'll actually buy anything until their servers calm down a little bit; running at a snails pace here! Super Meat Boy and VVVVVVV are definitely getting purchased and as Joe said, now I wait for Mass Effect 2...

TeeMan on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    RobmanRobman Registered User regular
    edited December 2010
    hnnnngggggggggggggggggggg

I can't even throw my credit card behind something big and heavy, because steam knows it already

Robman on
  • Options
    SkutSkutSkutSkut Registered User regular
    edited December 2010
    still need 4 more pie entries, Winterbottom's a pretty cool puzzle/platformer duders.

SkutSkut on
  • Options
    IcemopperIcemopper Registered User regular
    edited December 2010
    I too, have never played DeusEx, but I do own it. I got it in a sale so so long ago.

I'll get around to it one day... maybe.

But are there any mods or texture packs? Just wondering.

Icemopper on
  • Options
    PheacePheace Registered User regular
    edited December 2010
    Strangely enough I think I might buy Titans Gold today and call it a day for now ^^

Have some games on my 'To buy by the end of the sale list':
    Sid Meier's Pirates!
    Sid Meier's Railroads!
    Children of the Nile + DLC
    X-com
    An Indie pack or two

And hoping for daily sales on ME1/ME2 and some other games ^^

On to scrounge for more games! ^^

Ow, and Ghost Master is 0.99 cents again, it's a fun little game and worth buying Imo ^^ Same with Evil Genius! Not buying it now would be a crime! And a perfectly good and evil thing to do but you'd be the wrong type of Evil Genius! :E

Pheace on
  • Options
    Stabbity StyleStabbity Style He/Him | Warning: Mothership Reporting Kennewick, WARegistered User regular
    edited December 2010
    Oh man, I'm excited. Gonna get these sometime tonight:

Bad Company 2
    Bad Company 2 Vietnam
    Tropico 3: Absolute Power
    Republic Commando
    Super Meat Boy
    FEAR Complete Pack
    Winterbottom

Gonna be awesome!

Stabbity Style on
    Stabbity_Style.png
  • Options
    joshofalltradesjoshofalltrades Class Traitor Smoke-filled roomRegistered User regular
    edited December 2010
    Icemopper wrote: »
    I too, have never played DeusEx, but I do own it. I got it in a sale so so long ago.

I'll get around to it one day... maybe.

What a shame.

joshofalltrades on
  • Options
    Pajama_ManPajama_Man Registered User regular
    edited December 2010
    Also is the Prince of Persia '08 port any good? Does it have that prologue? I suppose I can just look up a playthrough of the prologue on youtube or something if it doesn't

You mean the Epilogue DLC? No, unfortunately the Epilogue DLC was never released on the PC. It's a good game with gorgeous art style but can get very repetitive quickly with the orb collecting and all.

It also has Nolan North as the Prince in it who I think is trying to compete with Steven Blum as the most overused go to guy for protagonist voice :x

Pajama_Man on
    camo_sig.png
  • Options
    ArcSynArcSyn Registered User regular
    edited December 2010
    Ok, so I was trying to be all cool about it and make a neat picture for it all, but it isn't working, so hopefully people see this post.

GET A FREE GAME!

I've been gifted a bunch so far already, so I'm going to start paying it forward (or back I suppose, depending on if someone who's gifted me also wins). Anyway..

Pick a game from the daily deals, PM me with (and this is the important part):

Your Steam pofile LINK - I want to make sure I've got the right person.
    The game of your choice

That's it. The only other rule is that you've got to have a PA forum profile that is at least 3 months old and 100 posts. Sorry new people, but I feel like our Thanksgiving crazy-awesome-ness attracted a lot of people and I want to give back to people who've been here a while and are at least half-active.

I'm going to wait till tomorrow morning to see how many people I've got PMs from, then I'm going to randomly draw a winner and gift the game.

ArcSyn on
    4dm3dwuxq302.png
  • Options
    FiggyFiggy Fighter of the night man Champion of the sunRegistered User regular
    edited December 2010
    Welp the servers are all but broken. I'm going to be buying a bunch of games en masse for a contest, so keep your eyes peeled. I might wait a couple days and collect a slew of the daily deals and have one big contest instead of a contest every day or two.

We shall see. I will say that it's pretty crap that I have to search by category to then see the games on sale that aren't part of the main catalog window. Unless I'm missing something.

Figgy on
    XBL : Figment3 · SteamID : Figment
  • Options
    Lord YodLord Yod Registered User regular
    edited December 2010
    Woo sale!

Picked up Super Meat Boy, PoP Sands of Time, Warrior Within, and Two Thrones, Hinterland, Misadventures of P.B. Winterbottom, and Republic Commando.

Very on the fence about the F.E.A.R. pack. What's the consensus? Is it good?

Lord Yod on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    Big ClassyBig Classy Registered User regular
    edited December 2010
    ArcSyn wrote: »
    Ok, so I was trying to be all cool about it and make a neat picture for it all, but it isn't working, so hopefully people see this post.

GET A FREE GAME!

I've been gifted a bunch so far already, so I'm going to start paying it forward (or back I suppose, depending on if someone who's gifted me also wins). Anyway..

Pick a game from the daily deals, PM me with (and this is the important part):

Your Steam pofile LINK - I want to make sure I've got the right person.
    The game of your choice

That's it. The only other rule is that you've got to have a PA forum profile that is at least 3 months old and 100 posts. Sorry new people, but I feel like our Thanksgiving crazy-awesome-ness attracted a lot of people and I want to give back to people who've been here a while and are at least half-active.

I'm going to wait till tomorrow morning to see how many people I've got PMs from, then I'm going to randomly draw a winner and gift the game.

entered for shits and giggles. Also Peewi, how could you!?

Big Classy on
  • Options
    fmz65fmz65 Registered User regular
    edited December 2010
    What are the primo indie packs? I'm debating Fright and Flight packs.

fmz65 on
    daleyk.png
  • Options
    AntoshkaAntoshka Miauen Oil Change LazarusRegistered User regular
    edited December 2010
    Hmm. Appears that Steam has decided that I should get back to work, because their servers will not accept my money during working hours, due to Internal errors with transactions.

I suppose I can live with that.

Antoshka on
    n57PM0C.jpg
  • Options
    edited December 2010
    ArcSyn is a classy dude

joshofalltrades on
  • Options
    Lord YodLord Yod Registered User regular
    edited December 2010
    Also buy Bad Company 2 if you are at all interested in shooting mans.

It's divine.

Lord Yod on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    edited December 2010
    fmz65 wrote: »
    What are the primo indie packs? I'm debating Fright and Flight packs.

Page 15 (on Steam main page)

Pheace on
  • Options
    PeewiPeewi Registered User regular
    edited December 2010
    As I just told him directly, I'm pretty sure Big Isy isn't human, but some kind of gifting machine.

Peewi on
  • Options
    kalkal Registered User regular
    edited December 2010
    Pajama_Man wrote: »

You mean the Epilogue DLC? No, unfortunately the Epilogue DLC was never released on the PC. It's a good game with gorgeous art style but can get very repetitive quickly with the orb collecting and all.

It also has Nolan North as the Prince in it who I think is trying to compete with Steven Blum as the most overused go to guy for protagonist voice :x

Also the port itself is fine. Never had any issues with it and it even played fairly flawlessly with M&KB with the exception of the QTE's being sorta tough sometimes. Nothing that couldn't be dealt with.

kal on
    camo_sig.png
  • Options
    SkutSkutSkutSkut Registered User regular
    edited December 2010
    Draw pies you you you people... 4 more entries left.

SkutSkut on
  • Options
    Big ClassyBig Classy Registered User regular
    edited December 2010
    Lord Yod wrote: »
    Also buy Bad Company 2 if you are at all interested in shooting mans.

It's divine.

FEAR pack is fantastic value if you like shooting mans too. Hope that helps you get off the fence.

Big Classy on
  • Options
    IdtaIdta Registered User regular
    edited December 2010
    Is anyone having a problem with Steam's Paypal? It's not letting use direct transfers anymore, only credit card payments :S this never used to be an issue.

Idta on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    lostprophetlostprophet Registered User regular
    edited December 2010
    Anyone know what's up with King Arthur? It's not on sale but it's in the Paradox pack. I'm thinking I may want the Paradox Pack just because of how much gaming is in it

lostprophet on
    Steam: macg1991
    wotuserbar01.jpg: macg1991
    Check out the Penny Arcade World of Tanks thread to join us in some fun times.
  • Options
    The MantizThe Mantiz BONK! DenmarkRegistered User regular
    edited December 2010
    ArcSyn wrote: »
    ....Free games...

I don't know how you guys do it. I am constantly amazed at the generosity of this community <3

Anyway! I'm a sucker for contests, so expect a PM shortly :rotate:

The Mantiz on
    3DS - 2878-9572-9277
  • Options
    edited December 2010
    Peewi wrote: »
    As I just told him directly, I'm pretty sure Big Isy isn't human, but some kind of gifting machine.

Did he have a bushy white beard and a big belly? xD

Pheace on
  • Options
    chocoboliciouschocobolicious Registered User regular
    edited December 2010
    So, this thread is too massive to fish through but Im sitting on this mighty pointy fence.. so here it is.

Is divinity II worth getting at that 26$ price tag? I know someone here has it. Push me one way or the other! My ability to make decisions in the face of this giant sale has been crippled more than I thought possible.

chocobolicious on
    steam_sig.png