As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[Dungeon Defenders] - Dungeon Defenders II: The Dungeoning coming soon! Free-to-play!

• Options
    EnigEnig a.k.a. Ansatz Registered User regular
    Well the Series EV was enough to get me back into DD.

Now to see about this Lost Eternia stuff perhaps, hmm...

ibpFhR6PdsPw80.png
    Steam (Ansatz) || GW2 officer (Ansatz.6498)
  • Options
    PenumbraPenumbra Registered User regular
    Oh god! A companion cube pet? Now I must forsake every other game out there until I get one, but I have a feeling it is a long an arduous journey.

Switch Friend Code: 6359-7575-9391
  • Options
    EnderEnder Registered User regular
    I've really enjoyed the EV personally. The concept behind the towers and its powers are really fun to me.

I've been building mine as a DPS/buff beam hybrid, since the only stat the buff beam cares about is tower damage, and apparently it doesn't scale that well at that. So, hero hp/attack, tower damage is a great spread, if you've got some builder friends, which I do.

• Options
    R0land1188R0land1188 Registered User regular
    How does one get the cube?

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    DarmakDarmak RAGE vympyvvhyc vyctyvyRegistered User regular
  • Options
    Hitmonchan107Hitmonchan107 Registered User regular
    You're in for a treat today.

iamisom, Community Manager for Dungeon Defenders
    Twitter: @iamisom
    Currently Playing: Dungeon Defenders II (PC), Warframe (XO), Metroid Prime Trilogy (Wii U)
  • Options
    R0land1188R0land1188 Registered User regular
    @Hitmonchan107

Who is in for a treat? You can't just pop in here and say things like that and not give details.

[Checks Trendy Forums]

Oh man PA skins?? Really?

Cardboard Tube Samurai (Gabe’s alter-ego – skin for the Monk Class)
    Tycho (skin for the Squire Class)
    Annarchy (skin for the Huntress Class)
    Jim Darkmagic (skin for the Apprentice Class)

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    DalantiaDalantia Registered User regular
    Still sad that they haven't released any of the DLC after the first one for xbox. :(

steam_sig.png
    DS Friend code: 3840-6605-3406
  • Options
    Skull2185Skull2185 Registered User regular
    Any word on those PA skins coming to Xbox? I would totally buy this game, even though I'd have no one to co-op with, for PA skins...

Everyone has a price. Throw enough gold around and someone will risk disintegration.
  • Options
    TheGerbilTheGerbil Registered User regular
    I think it's been said they can't do anything beyond the eternia shards DLC for the consoles due to some sorta restriction.

• Options
    Bah!

:c

Everyone has a price. Throw enough gold around and someone will risk disintegration.
  • Options
    That's why you should play on the grown-up platform. :P

JtgVX0H.png
  • Options
    R0land1188 wrote: »
    @Hitmonchan107

Who is in for a treat? You can't just pop in here and say things like that and not give details.

[Checks Trendy Forums]

Oh man PA skins?? Really?

Cardboard Tube Samurai (Gabe’s alter-ego – skin for the Monk Class)
    Tycho (skin for the Squire Class)
    Annarchy (skin for the Huntress Class)
    Jim Darkmagic (skin for the Apprentice Class)

Jim Winks!

• Options
    heenatoheenato Alice Leywind Registered User regular
    TheGerbil wrote: »
    I think it's been said they can't do anything beyond the eternia shards DLC for the consoles due to some sorta restriction.
    It's most likely due to the patch certification process. I believe trendy has to pay microsoft to certify the patches on the 360. Not exactly sure, but I believe that's how it works. I know the PS3 has a patch certification as well, but I'm not sure how that works.

M A G I K A Z A M
  • Options
    The Dude With HerpesThe Dude With Herpes Lehi, UTRegistered User regular
    Awwwwww, the penny arcade pack is only for PAX attendees.

:(:(:(

Steam: Galedrid - XBL: Galedrid - PSN: Galedrid
    Origin: Galedrid - Nintendo: Galedrid/3222-6858-1045
    Blizzard: Galedrid#1367 - FFXIV: Galedrid Kingshand

• Options
    Awwwwww, the penny arcade pack is only for PAX attendees.

:(:(:(
    No, they're also going to be put up for sale on friday. They're just FREE to the PAX attendees.

M A G I K A Z A M
  • Options
    OOooh, ok.

Carry on then.

• Options
    How tolerable is this game solo, anyways? I tried the demo on XBLA and thought it was pretty cool, but I wouldn't have anyone to play with. I read conflicting things, some people say its fine if you play by yourself, other people say you're going to want to co op.

• Options
    Solo it is pretty much standard horde-style tower defense. Some classes are really not good for soloing, without doing a lot of character swaps.

Honestly if you want to solo pick one of the Apprentice or Squire variations , focus on tower talents, and stick with them. Either one can effectively solo everything though at least hard, probably insanity with some effort (and gear). Once you're above that, or in challenges you need to rely on swapping out classes for different trap combos but that it entirely unnecessary for most of the game if you're playing alone.

The only thing I'll say is that the game starts off slow solo. You move slow (female variations move faster) at low levels and the way the game is paced, leveling wise anyway, the early levels can feel like a slog. I'll admit that I almost got turned off early in the game (came to it right off Orcs Must Die so I was accustomed to a lot faster paced gaming). Stick it out though and it's really rewarding.

Alternately, if you can play with others, do so. It's a lot more fun to play with other people, and once you have the core mechanics down, playing with others can help you power up classes so you're not spending a redonkulously long time grinding them up yourself (you can power them up yourself to a degree once you have a high level character too), and vice versa.

Also, if you have the means, do get it on the PC, not consoles. Most of us play on the PC and the PC has a lot more DLC's, and considerably more frequent patching.

• Options
    I'm getting deja vu... I think I maybe asked that question in this very thread a long time ago... :lol:

Console is my only option, currently. Maybe I'll pick it up if it goes on sale.

• Options
    JarsJars Registered User regular
    series EV cost me as much as the original game did. I cleared area one on her and it was pretty easy with almost entirely proton beams frying stuff immediately as they walked into it, but I want to make one for hero damage with like a chain gun arm because that sounds baller as hell. Hopefully a decent chain guy will drop.

• Options
    anoffdayanoffday To be changed whenever Anoffday gets around to it. Registered User regular
    I need to play this game more. Is anyone working on a character in the 30s? I don't want to bog anyone down or not be able to help.

Steam: offday
  • Options
    BroncbusterBroncbuster Registered User regular
    Damn, congrats on the Cube. I'm so far away from that it isn't even funny.

steam_sig.png
    Origin: Broncbuster
  • Options
    Hahnsoo1Hahnsoo1 Make Ready. We Hunt.Registered User regular
    edited April 2012
    SkutSkut wrote: »
    I got a cube too :)
    Yeah, we got our Cubes together. The Fonz has been REALLY helpful for me, and I thank him. Eeeeeey! TNTrooper has also been really helpful, but we don't quite have a cube for him yet (GOD DAMN WARPING CORE).

Hahnsoo1 on
    8i1dt37buh2m.png
  • Options
    Hahnsoo1 wrote: »
    Yeah, we got our Cubes together. The Fonz has been REALLY helpful for me, and I thank him. Eeeeeey! TNTrooper has also been really helpful, but we don't quite have a cube for him yet (GOD DAMN WARPING CORE).
    I wish I was useful enough to be able to help with stuff like that.

M A G I K A Z A M
  • Options
    heenato wrote: »

I know its not easy, but how much work is involved in doing the original challenges on HCNM? Like a list of easiest to hardest.

• Options
    edited April 2012
    Also, those skins are great, but I won't buy them until they include the fruit fucker as an ogre skin. You're welcome for the suggestion! :)

EDIT: Or PA creates a offical holiday "day" for the fruit fucker?

Broncbuster on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    ebotasticebotastic Going Gonzo In People's HeartsRegistered User regular
    Also, those skins are great, but I won't buy them until they include the fruit fucker as an ogre skin. You're welcome for the suggestion! :)

EDIT: Or PA creates a offical holiday "day" for the fruit fucker?
    I like both of these suggestions, Bronc!

Anyone else think Tycho should've linked to our forum thread in his newspost? ;-)

Please, call me ebo.
  • Options
    That's why you should play on the grown-up platform. :P

That fucking core. WARP BACK TO MID, GODDAMN YOU

JtgVX0H.png
  • Options
    edited April 2012
    Penumbra wrote: »
    heenato wrote: »

I know its not easy, but how much work is involved in doing the original challenges on HCNM? Like a list of easiest to hardest.
    I used this list to help me out, but it's not ranked according to difficulty:
    http://forums.trendyent.com/showthread.php?48191-Compilation-of-NM-Challenge-strategies-(Transcendent-Challenge-Champion)

From my estimation, here they are according to difficulty:

Extremely easy (a Squire builder can carry you through it):
    Challenge: Raining Goblins
    Challenge: Ogre Crush
    Challenge: Chicken
    Challenge: Monster Fest

Easy, but requires 3P or more with Ranged DPS and Ranged DPS pets*:
    Challenge: No Towers Allowed
    Challenge: Zippy Terror
    * Note that Series EV with Decoy makes both of these challenges MUCH easier. Monsters go for the Decoy instead of cores.

Easy, but tedious (less tedious with more players):
    Challenge: Wizardry
    Challenge: Treasure Hunt

Easy, but requires one strong Hero DPS character:
    Challenge: Assault

Moderate (plays like a normal level with Wyverns and Ogres only):
    Challenge: Death from Above

Moderately difficult, due to fragile but predictable core, Spiders and Djinn:
    Challenge: Moving Core

Difficult, due to fragile and unpredictable core, Spiders and Djinn:
    Challenge: Warping Core
    Challenge: Unlikely Allies

Hahnsoo1 on
    8i1dt37buh2m.png
  • Options
    So, for Nightmare, do people primarily use Apprentice's for building? I just got back into nightmare and we were doing Apprentices, we could make it to the last wave of Endless spires 6/8 times.

We started trying to work in Harpoons, which worked ok. I don't think spike walls were doing us any favors vs ogres who had resistances.

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    SkutSkutSkutSkut Registered User regular
    edited April 2012
    Unless all your tower stats are over 1000 you need at least two classes for NM, maybe even then depending on the stage. App main with monk auras compliment each other nicely, as well as a huntress with stats around 400 for gas/darkness/prox/inferno traps. Series EV is a huge help with the tower boost beam if you own her. Squires are really really good at countering spiders as well with bouncer blockades. App/Squire with decent stats can solo NM to some degree but a mix is still probably for the better.

And if you want plvling done it's no problem just ask, I got chars I need to get to 78 now anyway so running Insane HC glitter for a bit is no biggie for me.

Also, I'd say that Warping Core/Unlikely Allies are easier with two people, just because there's less mobs. Still a huge pain in the ass but with warping core it goes from 5 Ogres with 2 people on wave 4 to 7 3 or 4. And the Djinn basically double too.

And my Companion Cube is a dark blue :)

SkutSkut on
  • Options
    Yea, i'm about 500ish on tower stats on my Apprentice. so Still getting there. My buddy I play with mostly is 700-800 range for towers. We were just getting tired of running HC Glitter with 2 characters each.

May do a survival tonight.

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    For gear, if you can run Hard Assualt map pack, gets 4M plus whatever the items sell for, save up about 100M and get some decent mid myths, can find mid tier with 80 ups for armor/100+ weapons for about 10M each or less.

Hahnsoo has a setup for NMHC Monster Fest that nets a bit over 15M per run that I'm sure he'd share too.

• Options
    JarsJars Registered User regular
    so something I don't get is why items that require level 60 are dropping. I'm level 24. should I get rid of them because there's a lot of stuff I can't equip in my bank.

• Options
    yeah just bank low tier godlies you find until you can run hard glitter or something and use those.

• Options
    VoroVoro Registered User regular
    Alright, does anyone know a good guide for Karathiki Jungle medium solo? Seriously, fuck that map. I bought the barbarian today thinking I could just use the amazon costume, but no, it's never that easy. I just can't believe medium would ramp up to more difficult than Glitterhelm insane for the final two waves. Ugh. Apprentice strats are preferred, as I still have to slog through 70-74 on my initiate and countess (and my huntress is dps geared).

XBL GamerTag: Comrade Nexus
  • Options
    edited April 2012
    So, for Nightmare, do people primarily use Apprentice's for building? I just got back into nightmare and we were doing Apprentices, we could make it to the last wave of Endless spires 6/8 times.

We started trying to work in Harpoons, which worked ok. I don't think spike walls were doing us any favors vs ogres who had resistances.
    The new hotness now is Squire builders, but I haven't had much trouble using an Apprentice for everything except NM HC Summit Campaign. There are certainly stages that work better with Squires than Apprentices, but Apprentices have Deadly Strikers which shoot through walls. Spike Blockades are generally placed reversed on Ogre lanes, as Ogres attack ranged towers first with poison balls if they aren't being actively attacked in melee range (like the Apprentice Magic Blockade "attack" which strips resists), but this doesn't always work. Bouncers are dropped directly under Spider spawn points or chokepoints that aren't being used (to ward off spiders). Stacked Harpoons make short work of Djinn, which is the main reason they are used, but this may change with Series EV (since the Buff Beam can boost more App Towers in a row than Squire towers).

One thing I've noticed with the Buff Beam is that it only needs to barely touch a tower to buff it. Also, it will buff Fireball and Magic Missile towers through the top of the tower's hitbox, but not Lightning for some reason (which means the Buff Beam needs to pass through the base of the Lightning Tower to work). A configuration like this:
    X X X X
    (=======)
    X X X X
    Where the X's are the base of the towers being buffed and the (=====) is the buff beam works very well. It takes a bit of effort to line it all up, though, and clumping all of the towers makes it more vulnerable to spider webbing.

For my Challenge: Monster Fest build, you'll need a Squire builder with moderate stats (400-500s, basically the stats you'd get from low end Mythicals). There isn't much build time for the stage, so immediately grab the closest chests and head down the East tunnel. Place two spike blockades at the base of the steps and another pair of spike blockades at the first Treasure Chest in the East tunnel. Then build up some mana with a genie and build two harpoons on each side. Then just keep building Bowling Ball towers to shoot down the stairs and the east tunnel ramp. You should have enough DU for 2 Spikes, 2 Harpoons, and 8 Bowling Balls on each side of the build. Just keep repairing and upgrading throughout all the waves. Grab a few treasure chests during the Build phase, for maximum money earning, but it's not really necessary. Nets about 12-20M each run, for me. It looks something like this:
    http://html5.cubicleninja.com/dd/index.htm?layout=22895

Note that this build is greatly improved with Buff Beams and Reflect Beams (to reflect Ogre/Mage/Archer projectiles that occasionally pass through).

Hahnsoo1 on
    8i1dt37buh2m.png
  • Options
    SightTDWSightTDW Registered User regular
    I haven't played much since about when the game launched, but I thought Series EV looked interesting so I just grabbed it.

Are people doing much to get games going around here? Last time I played it was brand new, so the steam group chat was generally full of people bitching about Trendynet, or on rare occasion setting up a game back then.

Live - SightTDW | PSN - SightTDW | Nintendo Network - Wildschwein | 3DS - 1934-0834-9797
    Steam - Wildschwein | The Backlog
    Grappling Hook Showdown - Tumblr
  • Options
    SightTDW wrote: »
    I haven't played much since about when the game launched, but I thought Series EV looked interesting so I just grabbed it.

Are people doing much to get games going around here? Last time I played it was brand new, so the steam group chat was generally full of people bitching about Trendynet, or on rare occasion setting up a game back then.
    I don't know. I keep telling people to join the Steam general PA group chat (not to be confused with the PA Dungeon Defenders group chat, which is generally quiet) if they want to get a game going, but I usually only see heenato, TNTrooper, Penumbra, and The Fonz there.

8i1dt37buh2m.png
This discussion has been closed.