Options

Dwarf Fortress 0.31.25: probably got flying cars powered by plump helmets and beards

• Options
    Amikron DevaliaAmikron Devalia I didn't ask for this title. Registered User regular
    edited May 2011
    You will get 2 waves no matter what, but if you set it low enough after that you just get births, which can also be prevented.

edit: there was some problems with the way I had my durwarfs (surprise surprise!) so with the help of Kurwi on the DF Modding forums I have made them usable.

http://www.mediafire.com/?xymrbd4unatu70n

Just drop the file in your /raw/objects/ and generate a new world. Boom, durwarfs.

Amikron Devalia on
  • Options
    TheKoolEagleTheKoolEagle Registered User regular
    edited May 2011
    good lord its a bitch to get marksdwarves to train, they keep saying cannot complete order, I have wooden bolts for them to use, I have them defined, but will they train? only like 25 shots every season maybe one at a time.

also a forgotten beast got into my fort and ate half of my population's spleens or something, everyone is missing spleens that has been in contact with him

double edit: so he didn't eat their spleens, but some gas or something it spewed made everyones spleen's rotten... time for some surgery on half my fort!

TheKoolEagle on
    uNMAGLm.png Mon-Fri 8:30 PM CST - 11:30 PM CST
  • Options
    UncleSporkyUncleSporky Registered User regular
    edited May 2011
    Also like only one squad will ever actually pick up and use bolts, due to a bug. A single hunter can claim all your bolts for himself and nobody will ever practice.

It might be best to catch goblins in traps and order your marksmen to kill them, they'll fire bolts as soon as you tell them to then.

UncleSporky on
    Switch Friend Code: SW - 5443 - 2358 - 9118 || 3DS Friend Code: 0989 - 1731 - 9504 || NNID: unclesporky
  • Options
    Amikron DevaliaAmikron Devalia I didn't ask for this title. Registered User regular
    edited May 2011
    I've not had these problems, the only problem I've had with marksdwarves not wanting to shoot required me to just not have any ammo stockpiles at all, but I think Toady fixed that. Maybe your shootahs don't like you guys, try special dwarf milk!

Amikron Devalia on
  • Options
    edited May 2011
    good lord, 3 goblin ambushes at the same time (i haven't had 1), a forgotten beast from below... my military has no armor and I have 3 crossbowdwarves with actual weapons... I managed to fend everything off but at heavy losses.

currently there are 4 dwarves all with injuries piled on top of 1 table in my hospital, every bed is filled with people injured, I am actually impressed at how some of my soldiers survived these wounds

TheKoolEagle on
  • Options
    QuetzatcoatlQuetzatcoatl Registered User regular
    edited May 2011
    I've found goblin ambushes to be deadlier than anything else right now. Forgotten beasts, dragons and cyclops have all been taken care of by my two squads of hammerdwarves and crossbowdwarves with minimal injuries, but one invasion with two goblin squads claimed half my military and started a severe tantrum spiral. I had to get rid of my captain of the guard cause he kept beating dwarves to death. Fortunately I recovered by I lost a ton of my skilled dwarves who had been around longer and about a third of the fort's population.

I also have a one armed hammerdwarf that tends to always be first into battle and has killed about three forgotten beasts.

Quetzatcoatl on
  • Options
    edited May 2011
    That is because goblins are cheating ninjas, and they use the heavily broken whips, which tear through armor and rip dwarfs to shreads.

Amikron Devalia on
  • Options
    Bliss 101Bliss 101 Registered User regular
    edited May 2011
    Yeah ambushes are definitely the trickiest. They're fairly easy to repel, since they seem to flee automatically after you kill part of their squad, but they always show up at the most inopportune times. Your Militia Commander decides to go fetch a nice sock from the edge of the map, followed by her seventeen children? Ambush. Everybody in the fortress throws a tantrum.

Bliss 101 on
    MSL59.jpg
  • Options
    Mojo_JojoMojo_Jojo We are only now beginning to understand the full power and ramifications of sexual intercourse Registered User regular
    edited May 2011
    You will get 2 waves no matter what, but if you set it low enough after that you just get births, which can also be prevented.

edit: there was some problems with the way I had my durwarfs (surprise surprise!) so with the help of Kurwi on the DF Modding forums I have made them usable.

http://www.mediafire.com/?xymrbd4unatu70n

Just drop the file in your /raw/objects/ and generate a new world. Boom, durwarfs.

:^:

Thanks for that!

My new fort has a handy waterfall, so I'm going to have a bridge through that as the only way in. Because it will be awesome. I just need to figure out where the trade depot will go. Most likely outside somewhere. Possibly, I'll just build a separate structure for it.

Edit: Dawdled too long before getting brewing going. People have started dying of thirst. Crud. Time to see if I can make a durdwarf rope and get a well set up before everybody is toast.

Mojo_Jojo on
    Homogeneous distribution of your varieties of amuse-gueule
  • Options
    Mojo_JojoMojo_Jojo We are only now beginning to understand the full power and ramifications of sexual intercourse Registered User regular
    edited May 2011
    Things I have learnt today: Waterfalls will crush dwarves to death.

Mojo_Jojo on
  • Options
    YamiNoSenshiYamiNoSenshi A point called Z In the complex planeRegistered User regular
    edited May 2011
    Bliss 101 wrote: »
    Yeah ambushes are definitely the trickiest. They're fairly easy to repel, since they seem to flee automatically after you kill part of their squad, but they always show up at the most inopportune times. Your Militia Commander decides to go fetch a nice sock from the edge of the map, followed by her seventeen children? Ambush. Everybody in the fortress throws a tantrum.

Ambushes can also meta-end your game. They sit on the map and hide and have all their movement and what-not calculated before you discover them. And if you don't more can keep showing up until your fps ends up in the single digits.

YamiNoSenshi on
  • Options
    edited May 2011
    jdarksun wrote: »
    If two posts about dwarf fortress can sum it up, those were they.

All the picks are now frozen in ice at the bottom of the waterfall. The caravans haven't brought picks or metal that you can make picks from. The shanty town outside is expanding rapidly.

Mojo_Jojo on
  • Options
    BonepartBonepart Registered User regular
    edited May 2011
    Bliss 101 wrote: »

I had a fort going on a nice open plain, and had dug into the earth and put up walls and a moat. Things went swimmingly for a couple of years and then !!AMBUSH!! Luckily for me I had been restricting the outside movement of my dwarves and it was some migrants who had just arrived on the map that found the goblins.

Sadly it was at that moment that my Fisherdwarves manged to overfish my cavern water fed well. I quickly turned off all the fishing jobs, but not before one of my Initial Seven decided he was going to fish in the lake outside.

NOTHING I DID could get his ass away from that damn lake. I finially raised my bridge and locked the doors after the goblins finished killing the migrants and watched them go all Benny Hill on my poor stupid stupid Fisherdwarf.

Bonepart on
    XBL Gamertag: Ipori
  • Options
    DemiurgeDemiurge Registered User regular
    edited May 2011
    So my latest fort got butchered by Goblins. I've decided to completely seal off my next fort from the outside world and embark in a tundra and created a world with a high mineral count. Baby max is infinite and the pop cap is 1 so I'll get by with the first two migrant waves and I've increased the max number of mega beasts by a crapton and allowed them to attack at pop 10 :P

The high amount of minerals should allow me to be completely self sufficient and actually get a millitary together early on so I don't get butchered by goddamn goblins.

Demiurge on
    DQ0uv.png 5E984.png
  • Options
    edited May 2011
    Generally once you spot one ambush and send the military out into the open they discover 1-50 more ambushes along the way, which buys you a pretty big framerate boost once it's dealt with.

Mojo_Jojo on
  • Options
    PeonsPeons Registered User regular
    edited May 2011
    An update on the steel troubles in case anyone else has the same problem.

Apparently there's a bug that sometimes won't let you queue up some smelting jobs directly, but you can still assign the task through the job manager. I was able to get steel bars this way.

This happens if you have a burrow that overlaps a workshop, but does not overlap all the materials the workshop needs for it's smelting job. This bug can occur even if you only use the burrow for a military alert. To fix it just make sure any burrow that overlaps a workshop also overlaps the appropriate stockpile(s).

Or just use the manager :P

Peons on
  • Options
    Anon the FelonAnon the Felon In bat country.Registered User regular
    edited May 2011
    So, I've finally gotten into this game. I'd tried before but it just wouldn't click, and I'd inevitably get bored. This time, I followed the Quickstart guide in the OP and holy crap this is fun.

My first 2 tries failed as I got sidetracked making workshops but didn't make any food sources, everyone died. I also partially flooded my fort's the first 2 times.
    Third time things were going very well, until my few crops stopped being enough to feed the people, then I forgot about it and...everyone died.

I'm about to start a 4th run, but I have a question: Whats up with the "not responding" deal when saving? I've given the game admin rights, I've done everything I can think of but it still crashes every time I save. If I don't wait long enough during this crash, it's only a partial save. Fix?

Anon the Felon on
  • Options
    Sir CarcassSir Carcass I have been shown the end of my world Round Rock, TXRegistered User regular
    edited May 2011
    Wait longer? Saving does take a little bit.

Sir Carcass on
  • Options
    edited May 2011
    So, I've finally gotten into this game. I'd tried before but it just wouldn't click, and I'd inevitably get bored. This time, I followed the Quickstart guide in the OP and holy crap this is fun.

My first 2 tries failed as I got sidetracked making workshops but didn't make any food sources, everyone died. I also partially flooded my fort's the first 2 times.
    Third time things were going very well, until my few crops stopped being enough to feed the people, then I forgot about it and...everyone died.

I'm about to start a 4th run, but I have a question: Whats up with the "not responding" deal when saving? I've given the game admin rights, I've done everything I can think of but it still crashes every time I save. If I don't wait long enough during this crash, it's only a partial save. Fix?
    It's not crashing, it's saving. Just wait.

Mojo_Jojo on
  • Options
    YamiNoSenshiYamiNoSenshi A point called Z In the complex planeRegistered User regular
    edited May 2011
    Mojo_Jojo wrote: »

It's not crashing, it's saving. Just wait.

For being made of ASCII or at best sprite graphics, DF will shit all over your PC, especially your processor. There's a lot of stuff, especially pathfinding, that computer science still doesn't have a great answer for. And DF does A LOT of pathfinding.

Edit: Further reading: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/NP-complete

YamiNoSenshi on
  • Options
    DisruptedCapitalistDisruptedCapitalist I swear! Registered User regular
    edited May 2011
    It's also slow these days because it's trying to compress the save files. Turn off compression in the init.txt to get a slight performance improvement.

DisruptedCapitalist on
    "Simple, real stupidity beats artificial intelligence every time." -Mustrum Ridcully in Terry Pratchett's Hogfather p. 142 (HarperPrism 1996)
  • Options
    edited May 2011
    generally my first order of business is getting my food industry set up, at least 3 5x5 farms, 2 of which grow plump helmets, the other grows pigtails. I don't remember why but i've been flooding my fields, turns out you can farm on dirt/loam/other soft crap, I thought he removed that?

so first priority should be establishing food, then your trade industry, then the fun stuff like a dining room, and maybe eventually in like 5 years bedrooms for dwarves.

of course I am one of those crazy types that needs everything to be symmetrical and if it doesn't look pretty I say fuckit and give up so its an accomplishment for me to get past year 5

TheKoolEagle on
  • Options
    edited May 2011
    Unless it was since fixed/changed again you have to put a layer of mud down to farm, but you don't have to re-flood every year like old DF.

All the picks are now frozen in ice at the bottom of the waterfall. The caravans haven't brought picks or metal that you can make picks from. The shanty town outside is expanding rapidly.

I'm hoping that wood picks will be added that can be used to mine dirt and soil.

Why not just make wood picks?

Amikron Devalia on
  • Options
    edited May 2011

I'm hoping that wood picks will be added that can be used to mine dirt and soil.

A year and a half passed. Ghosts accounted for around 90% of my population. No traders brought any picks or metal that could be used to make a pick. Eventually, I got a super larger migrant wave that included two miners with their own tools.

And in that time I found the problem. For some reason, three of my floor grates had vanished. Not sure if it was a bug, or if there is some logical explanation. Slotted them back into place and bam, everybody is overjoyed as they pass through a waterfall everytime they go outside.

Now I just need to mine a few graves up on the top of the mountain. Get my military trained up and then VICTORY.

Mojo_Jojo on
  • Options
    dukederekdukederek Registered User regular
    edited May 2011
    Demiurge wrote: »
    completely seal off my next fort from the outside world.

My current favourite for this is to build a pit in the open with down stairs at the bottom of it, add hatches to the stairs and flood the pit.

Bonus points if you can flood-drain it at will

dukederek on
  • Options
    edited May 2011
    Unless it was since fixed/changed again you have to put a layer of mud down to farm, but you don't have to re-flood every year like old DF.

On stone you still have to flood it, but on soil you are golden, I thought he had removed that for some time so I've been flooding soil that apparently I could have been farming on before flooding

TheKoolEagle on
  • Options
    bamjobamjo Registered User regular
    edited May 2011
    urgh, all i have is silver in a zombie filled land, should i just make silver warhammers to deal with them even though bludgeoning weapons do less damage?

In my last fort I had pretty good success with silver hammers. The problem is armor. All that map had was galena, and tetrahedrite (and a shit ton of coal), so I went with copper armor. But copper is complete crap except maybe for shields. I wonder if it even offers more protection than good leather? Human traders tend to bring loads of leather, enough to outfit a good sized military with armor.

bamjo on
  • Options
    edited May 2011
    The waste chute to the cavern (and safety net for plumbing) has so far claimed the lives of two brave dwarves.

Mojo_Jojo on
  • Options
    ArbitraryDescriptorArbitraryDescriptor changed Registered User regular
    edited May 2011
    oh god I just thought that when toady adds in dwarf bowel movements... that means he will most likely make toilets, and lets be honest, how many of us are going to make a toilet for each dwarf... the communal toilet.... for 100+ dwarves... *shudder*

I'm hoping that the introduction of sewage will include pipes; thus making the transport of water more efficient, and eliminating or reducing the need for pump stacks.

Then he just needs to develop conveyor systems (involving bins, chains, and gears), and I'll be a happy man.

ArbitraryDescriptor on
  • Options
    hailthefishhailthefish Registered User regular
    edited May 2011
    Pumpstacks aren't too bad, it's trying to route the corridor-sized water tunnels that infuriates the shit out of me.

hailthefish on
  • Options
    edited May 2011
    good lord, i thought hospital zones got fixed with recent versions, I still have 2 patients who now have severe bloodloss and are looking pale, they need everything done to them, but all 3 of my doctors who, at this point have all medical jobs assigned, just chill out in the dining hall with no job.

I assume these 2 brave soldiers are just going to bleed out after months of agonizing life from being brutally mauled by goblins

TheKoolEagle on
  • Options
    edited May 2011
    good lord, i thought hospital zones got fixed with recent versions, I still have 2 patients who now have severe bloodloss and are looking pale, they need everything done to them, but all 3 of my doctors who, at this point have all medical jobs assigned, just chill out in the dining hall with no job.

I assume these 2 brave soldiers are just going to bleed out after months of agonizing life from being brutally mauled by goblins

Hospitals work fine but keep in mind that if you assign bad dwarves to be doctors stuff isn't going to get done.

1. You need a chief medical dwarf for the hospital to truly work properly, assigning one makes no special requirements/mandates.

2. Don't make dwarves that hate helping other dwarves be doctors, even if they have the skills. Even if you have a CMD + stocked hospital they'll sit on their asses until the last moment. Also, when these dwarves heal other dwarves they actually get unhappy thoughts because of their spiteful nature.

3. Turn off all labors except medical for one doctor dwarf and your dwarves will usaully get prompt attention.

Peons on
  • Options
    edited May 2011
    yeah, I have a CMD assigned and 2 other doctors working, not sure about their natures though, I'll have to check that when I boot it up on my laptop again, the cmd and 2 doctors have everything other then medical turned off so i'm amazed they haven't done anything, although one of the dwarves that is severely injured went back to the sparring room without treatment, so i assume he is going to die

TheKoolEagle on
  • Options
    edited May 2011
    Also, do you have chests/bags built in the hospital to store medical equipment?

Peons on
  • Options
    edited May 2011
    yeah i have everything i need, although i am out of soap at the moment but making more, i mean my doctors have treated everyone else, i had about 15 people in the hospital, but they just aren't touching this guy

TheKoolEagle on
  • Options
    bamjobamjo Registered User regular
    edited May 2011
    My biggest gripe about medical situations like that is when you have dwarves literally bleeding out on the table and the chief medical dwarf will go on break or attend a party or some shit. I was lucky enough to get 3 expert or higher diagnosers in my migration waves ( I made one CMD). For the other two I just have diagnosing turned on, and between the three of them they usually move treatment along without horrible delays. In my forts it seems to be getting the dwarves to do the original diagnosis that turns out to be the biggest bottleneck.

Actually after thinking about it I wonder if assigning a 'medical emergency' burrow that just covers the hospital would force quicker medical treatment?

bamjo on
  • Options
    edited May 2011
    It could be other things too, like the injured dwarf being 'stuck' for any of a variety of reasons, or pathing problems, or the doctor being at a party, or even something dumb like the doctors' bed and the food stockpiles being far apart and far from the hospital so he spends all his time tromping from his bed to the stockpiles to the dining room to the stockpiles to his bed and doesn't ever have time to go to the hospital.

hailthefish on
  • Options
    Anon the FelonAnon the Felon In bat country.Registered User regular
    edited May 2011
    So whats the common opinion here? Strike the earth and build a fort around it? Or burrow into a mountain?

Anon the Felon on
  • Options
    edited May 2011
    any true dorf burrows into a mountain! digging into the ground is for hobbits and the like

edit: first death of my new fortress! the miner decided it would be a good idea to tackle my 3-channel hole by burrowing all of the middle out except for the top layer, and then burrow that out while standing on it. Now my well will have dorf blood in it, yay!

TheKoolEagle on
  • Options
    edited May 2011
    If there's no significant land features, I dig straight down, but I prefer to dig into the side of a mountain. I've found it's easier to defend a mountainside tunnel entrance.

hailthefish on