As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Dwarf Fortress 0.31.25: probably got flying cars powered by plump helmets and beards

• Options
    BonepartBonepart Registered User regular
    edited May 2011
    So my Fortress was humming along, but despite my best attempts had some mandates go unfulfilled. I had 3 Dwarves in need of some Prison time. I figured Why not? I hadn't messed with the Justice system before.

In Hindsight, I should have checked the wiki first, because I messed up a few itty bitty details I should have known better about.

1st: Being a quasi-military/authoritive role I wanted a Dwarf with some armor and weapon skills. (it seemed like a good idea at the time!)

2nd: I made a jail. As in singular. For some reason I got to thinking they would be punished 1 at a time.

Well. I get the idea things have gone astray when my Sheriff-Dwarf puts her Axe through the skull of offender number 2, and before I can do anything about it, number 3.

Thankfully #2 and #3 weren't all that important, and #1 was sitting safely in prison, bound to an artifact camel bone chain.

Needless to say, I now have a proper prison, with 8 cells!

Bonepart on
    XBL Gamertag: Ipori
  • Options
    DisruptedCapitalistDisruptedCapitalist I swear! Registered User regular
    edited May 2011
    I love it when an imprisoned dwarf has a thought like "Admired her own restraint today."

Your dwarf #1 must have loved that camel bone chain.

DisruptedCapitalist on
    "Simple, real stupidity beats artificial intelligence every time." -Mustrum Ridcully in Terry Pratchett's Hogfather p. 142 (HarperPrism 1996)
  • Options
    YamiNoSenshiYamiNoSenshi A point called Z In the complex planeRegistered User regular
    edited May 2011
    Yeah, the trick to avoiding parties is to not use tables, wells, or statues (or possibly other things) to define meeting halls. I used to have constant party problems but now I just don't use party-causing objects to define meeting halls (I define them in the zones menu instead), and now I have 0 parties.

I made the mistake of placing restraints and not designating them for the jail. A dwarf then began a party in the 2-space jail cell.

YamiNoSenshi on
  • Options
    DemiurgeDemiurge Registered User regular
    edited May 2011
    What's best to give a sheriff anyway? Wooden training axe? Copper mace? I happen to think beatings build character but I don't want them dead.

Demiurge on
    DQ0uv.png 5E984.png
  • Options
    ArbitraryDescriptorArbitraryDescriptor changed Registered User regular
    edited May 2011
    Hammers do damage by material weight, so a light mace might be a good weapon if you don't want to seriously injure anyone.
    MechMantis wrote: »
    The logistics should be fun to work out. Or Fun to work out. We'll see.

Can't it be both?

Won't it be both?

Not if I succeed!
    Yeah, the trick to avoiding parties is to not use tables, wells, or statues (or possibly other things) to define meeting halls. I used to have constant party problems but now I just don't use party-causing objects to define meeting halls (I define them in the zones menu instead), and now I have 0 parties.

I made the mistake of placing restraints and not designating them for the jail. A dwarf then began a party in the 2-space jail cell.

Ostracism, brilliant. If only you could get them to throw refuse at the one in chains.

Alternate interpretation: Get that fellow showing off his legendary leather thong from a few pages ago, and you've got a sexy dungeon party.

ArbitraryDescriptor on
  • Options
    hailthefishhailthefish Registered User regular
    edited May 2011
    Oh god the horror.

Just don't give your sheriff a whip to go with the theme. Unless you -want- everyone dead.

hailthefish on
  • Options
    Mojo_JojoMojo_Jojo We are only now beginning to understand the full power and ramifications of sexual intercourse Registered User regular
    edited May 2011
    Haha. Well that was a disaster. I was busy mining the pipes to get water down to my cavern fort, hit a localised aquifer from underneath which of course generates infinite water. None of the hatches or floodgates were fully installed. So I managed to drop a door to stop the onslaught of water. Everything was fine.

Until I remembered that I'd mined a strip out of the floor in the dining room, the idea being that I could pop some wells there. The pressure had filled the dining room entirely with 7/7 water. Fortunately, it had doors.

Being a clever gent, I tore a door off and decided that the dining room would now be a farm (as it would be muddy as hell). So everything was going fine, until some fucker accidentally opened the door which was holding back the aquifer. Because I'd forgotten to forbid passage and somebody wanted a rock from the other side.

Two dwarves drowning was the first notice I had, but by then it was too late. I could have worked around it I'm sure, but I decided to abandon.

Nice map though. Steep sided river valleys are great fun.

Mojo_Jojo on
    Homogeneous distribution of your varieties of amuse-gueule
  • Options
    SoaLSoaL fantastic Registered User regular
    edited May 2011
    haha the dwarf liason just went berserk because it couldn't find a way into my fortress. He beat a merchant to death and then ran off the map. The Merchant's Yak Bull was stricken by melancholy

SoaL on
    DKFA7.gif
  • Options
    edited May 2011
    SoaL wrote: »
    haha the dwarf liason just went berserk

I had something like this happen to me. The Caravan came visiting and no sooner than they were set up at my Trade Depot I was beseiged by Goblins and Trolls. Sadly, only a Marble Door stood between the invaders and the merchants. The guards put up a good fight, but despite one repeatedly hitting a troll in the head no trolls died.

I promptly raised my bridge and sealed myself off. Seems the Liason got tired of me NOT letting him commit suicide by Troll and went berserk on one of my Initial 7. He chased Urist McFarmer around a bit and then cornered him, only to get his skull caved in. I was overjoyed to see that McFarmer escaped without injury!

Bonepart on
  • Options
    Mojo_JojoMojo_Jojo We are only now beginning to understand the full power and ramifications of sexual intercourse Registered User regular
    edited May 2011
    Bonepart wrote: »

I had something like this happen to me. The Caravan came visiting and no sooner than they were set up at my Trade Depot I was beseiged by Goblins and Trolls. Sadly, only a Marble Door stood between the invaders and the merchants. The guards put up a good fight, but despite one repeatedly hitting a troll in the head no trolls died.

I promptly raised my bridge and sealed myself off. Seems the Liason got tired of me NOT letting him commit suicide by Troll and went berserk on one of my Initial 7. He chased Urist McFarmer around a bit and then cornered him, only to get his skull caved in. I was overjoyed to see that McFarmer escaped without injury!

Will the dwarves still siege you for doing that?

Mojo_Jojo on
  • Options
    edited May 2011
    Mojo_Jojo wrote: »
    Bonepart wrote: »

Will the dwarves still siege you for doing that?

They haven't yet. Relations still seem to be pretty good. I got another Caravan from the Mountainhomes and did some profitable trading (offloading all my crap!)

Bonepart on
  • Options
    ArbitraryDescriptorArbitraryDescriptor changed Registered User regular
    edited May 2011
    Well shit. First of the Seven, a legendary miner, was clearing the slopes off of my fort entrance, and in one mighty swing he breached a small pond, and caused a 1 tile overhang to collapse on him. The cave-in broke his legs and winded him, and he proceeded to suffocate in 2/7 of water from the draining pond before anyone came for him.

Not counting Adv. mode, I think that's my most unexpected death yet. I was dumbstruck.

I have buried him according to his wishes*. Entombed in the mines, in a crypt made of rough walls and filled with loose stone.

*If ghosts need to be appeased, how long until Dwarves actually start generating burial preferences? Bury them improperly: get poltergeist'd. Bury them according to their wishes, maybe a bit of stone will be seen to haul itself from time to time, or artfully crafted trinkets are found in their favorite workshop.

ArbitraryDescriptor on
  • Options
    RamiRami Registered User regular
    edited May 2011
    Demiurge wrote: »
    What's best to give a sheriff anyway? Wooden training axe? Copper mace? I happen to think beatings build character but I don't want them dead.

I like to give them a whip looted from one of the goblin raids I'd almost certainly had at some point. Lashings fit the theme of the lawbringer and they're kinda crappy weapons so not really that dangerous. Plus exotic, I'm not even sure they can skill up in them.

Rami on
    Steam / Xbox Live: WSDX NNID: W-S-D-X 3DS FC: 2637-9461-8549
    sig.gif
  • Options
    TheKoolEagleTheKoolEagle Registered User regular
    edited May 2011
    Rami wrote: »

I like to give them a whip looted from one of the goblin raids I'd almost certainly had at some point. Lashings fit the theme of the lawbringer and they're kinda crappy weapons so not really that dangerous. Plus exotic, I'm not even sure they can skill up in them.

i thought whips were super broken and caused dwarves to be ripped apart even through armor

or is that just metal whips?

edit: also you know i've been thinking, I think dwarf fortress may be my favorite game, the only major thing I would like to see added is some type of multiplayer experience, of course not like 2 forts on the same map but the ability to be in the same 'world' as like 8 other outposts and have the ability to send armies or caravans around like once a year, maybe balance playtime by allowing people to desync by a year and them have the slower ones catch up

TheKoolEagle on
    uNMAGLm.png Mon-Fri 8:30 PM CST - 11:30 PM CST
  • Options
    fadingathedgesfadingathedges Registered User regular
    edited May 2011
    I just embarked in a haunted forest, and I know it's just squiggles on the screen but Dense Wormy Tendrils are freaking me out.

fadingathedges on
  • Options
    RamiRami Registered User regular
    edited May 2011
    Rami wrote: »

i thought whips were super broken and caused dwarves to be ripped apart even through armor

or is that just metal whips?

edit: also you know i've been thinking, I think dwarf fortress may be my favorite game, the only major thing I would like to see added is some type of multiplayer experience, of course not like 2 forts on the same map but the ability to be in the same 'world' as like 8 other outposts and have the ability to send armies or caravans around like once a year, maybe balance playtime by allowing people to desync by a year and them have the slower ones catch up

I wasn't aware of any such thing, but I haven't played DW for a few iterations now (not since before the animal update). Also I tend to have large jails so physical beatings are never handed out anyway. Really though, leaving my sheriff unarmed almost always leads to him punching straight through someone's skull and brain, so whatever a whip is like it can't be any worse.

Rami on
    Steam / Xbox Live: WSDX NNID: W-S-D-X 3DS FC: 2637-9461-8549
    sig.gif
  • Options
    A Flock of WalrusA Flock of Walrus For the Greater Good! Registered User regular
    edited May 2011
    I'd like to play this game because it sounds detailed, sandboxish and amazing but it also scares me.

Booting up the game and poking around thoroughly confused me. Also, the newbie guide is gigantic, not that i'm opposed to reading.

Scary to start off in I guess.

A Flock of Walrus on
    PNA1v.jpg
  • Options
    edited May 2011
    I'd like to play this game because it sounds detailed, sandboxish and amazing but it also scares me.

Booting up the game and poking around thoroughly confused me. Also, the newbie guide is gigantic, not that i'm opposed to reading.

Scary to start off in I guess.

The newbie guide is to read while you play. So you'll pick it up pretty fast.

The only tricky bits are the military and machines like pump stacks, and the wiki contains detailed explanations (often with "this is really complicated; just do this".

Mojo_Jojo on
  • Options
    Ninja Snarl PNinja Snarl P My helmet is my burden. Ninja Snarl: Gone, but not forgotten.Registered User regular
    edited May 2011
    Picked this up for the first time in ages. Like a lot of the new additions and changes, but why the hell is the military stuff so shitawful? I've got some badger boars in my fort bugging everybody, but I can't even figure out how the hell to just activate some soldiers to go kill them.

What the hell was wrong with being able to just activate soldiers? Now the whole system is so utterly obtuse that I can't even figure out how to tell soldiers to go kill some damned animal and I've been playing this since back in the 2D cliff-face-only days.

Improvement is great and all, but holy shit is the military system completely and unnecessarily screwed up.

Ninja Snarl P on
  • Options
    fadingathedgesfadingathedges Registered User regular
    edited May 2011
    It's basically 100% new UI that work with burrows so you can very specifically detail a squad's activities throughout the year (as well as gear, rest time, etc). It makes more sense once you 'get' it. There is no more 'activated/deactivated' status. It takes a little setting up when you make a new squad but works really well after that.

fadingathedges on
  • Options
    MuddBuddMuddBudd Registered User regular
    edited May 2011
    Open Squad menu.

Select Squad.

Use kill command.

MuddBudd on
    There's no plan, there's no race to be run
    The harder the rain, honey, the sweeter the sun.
  • Options
    Gandalf_the_CrazedGandalf_the_Crazed Vigilo ConfidoRegistered User regular
    edited May 2011
    MuddBudd wrote: »
    Open Squad menu.

Select Squad.

Use kill command.

Select your dwarf, and then, select your badger boar.

Gandalf_the_Crazed on
    PEUsig_zps56da03ec.jpg
  • Options
    Ninja Snarl PNinja Snarl P My helmet is my burden. Ninja Snarl: Gone, but not forgotten.Registered User regular
    edited May 2011
    No, it's fine now, it's just really aggravating to have something so basic be so screwy, especially after playing the game for so long. Having to toggle something like five different things just to get a suicide squad up is pretty ridiculous when you just need to kill one thing.

EDIT: Tantrum has ended.

Ninja Snarl P on
  • Options
    edited May 2011
    It is a very weird system. But now that I understand how it works, I can see why he made it. It makes automatic responding possible.

MuddBudd on
  • Options
    INeedNoSaltINeedNoSalt with blood on my teeth Registered User regular
    edited May 2011
    So, I got a fort going, I like it, I love it, I want some more of it, I realized there's absolutely no ore on the entire map except for native gold.

nothing else.

anywhere.

INeedNoSalt on
  • Options
    edited May 2011
    Turn the gold into various trinkets. Sell the trinkets in exchange for every iron and steel object the caravans have, melt the random junk you get down.

hailthefish on
  • Options
    INeedNoSaltINeedNoSalt with blood on my teeth Registered User regular
    edited May 2011
    Yep, that's the plan.

It won't last long though.

There's only a little bit of gold, and it's all on cavern levels.

Caverns filled with trolls.

The only weapons I have are picks.

INeedNoSalt on
  • Options
    wavecutterwavecutter Registered User regular
    edited May 2011
    Oh, then it should be quick work.

wavecutter on
  • Options
    edited May 2011
    Hm. Usually in that situation there's a shitton of the single metal.

hailthefish on
  • Options
    edited May 2011
    Sigh. I don't suppose there's an easy way to keep dwarves inside now that they can't be forbidden from going outside? Making a stack of burrows and having to add dwarves to each one seems like a really, really terrible solution.

Ninja Snarl P on
  • Options
    edited May 2011
    Burrows can extend across multiple levels and you can define a "civilian" burrow for all civilians. Do both these things. It takes about 30 seconds, or more if you have a big fort.

hailthefish on
  • Options
    edited May 2011
    Still not as useful as just being able to order dwarves not to go outside for a while and still keep working via a couple of button presses, but a lot better than I was afraid of. Thanks.

EDIT: Well, "useful" probably isn't the word. I'm sure burrows are useful, I just wish the game let you tell civilian dwarves to stay inside without messing with burrows.

Ninja Snarl P on
  • Options
    edited May 2011
    Once you define the burrow, it's like 3 key presses to toggle it on or off. And it avoids situations like dwarves not working in the farms because they were once exposed to light and thus not technically inside and so on.

hailthefish on
  • Options
    edited May 2011
    Yeah, it's not nearly as bad as I feared it would be, but I still don't think there was much of a reason to strip out the functionality of telling dwarves to stay indoors via the orders screen.

I'm more irritated by the fact that using burrows to keep dwarves inside is EXTREMELY unintuitive through the interface. Using the old "orders" option, there were clear-cut choices: dwarves go wherever, civilian dwarves stay inside, all dwarves stay inside. The options literally told you those exact things.

Burrows and alerts and figuring out which options to toggle via the military screen makes no sense whatsoever because the game just isn't telling you what you need to know and/or is organized and worded very badly. There really needs to be some delineation in there about how squads and civilians are handled instead of it just being a jumbled mess of active/inactive/alerts/whatever all on the same screen.

But hey, at least this stuff is working now instead of things like the utterly inoperative military from the last version I played. It'll be nice to be able to actually heal dwarves instead of just having them permanently crippled because the medical system isn't functioning.

Ninja Snarl P on
  • Options
    Bliss 101Bliss 101 Registered User regular
    edited May 2011
    Yep, that's the plan.

I've been in this situation and it turned out to be a very succesful fort. You'll need to perfect your goblinite harvesting techniques without risking your unarmed "military". Lots of cage traps work but handling the loot and disposing of the goblins can be a lot of hassle. I recommend a drowning chamber, or the awesome dance of death bridge (the latter works extremely well, see this post for details). You can use anything in the weapon traps, in fact wooden weapons are best because the idea is to make goblins jump off the bridge, not to kill them on the bridge.

Bliss 101 on
    MSL59.jpg
  • Options
    YamiNoSenshiYamiNoSenshi A point called Z In the complex planeRegistered User regular
    edited May 2011
    No you little fucker do not use marble to make a table.

YamiNoSenshi on
  • Options
    edited May 2011
    Yep, that's the plan.

Gold should make fairly decent hammers, considering how heavy it is.

MuddBudd on
  • Options
    edited May 2011
    I don't think you can make non-artifact armor/weapons out of gold without modding.

hailthefish on
  • Options
    edited May 2011
    MuddBudd wrote: »
    Open Squad menu.

Select Squad.

Use kill command.

Sadly this is where my understanding of how the military system works ends. It drastically needs a UI overhaul, but then so do many other elements.

Mojo_Jojo on
  • Options
    A Flock of WalrusA Flock of Walrus For the Greater Good! Registered User regular
    edited May 2011
    So, i've been playing through this some using "The Complete and Utter Newby Tutorial" and its going pretty well.

Past the overcomplicated, ancient UI and 30 year old graphics, is a fun little sandboxy game.

Have a fortress area carved out, a still, a dining area, sleeping quarters, multiple levels and lots of workshops/tasks being done. I can see how this game would grow on you as it gets more and more and more complicated.

A Flock of Walrus on
    PNA1v.jpg