Options

Cooker? I barely know her! [Cooking Thread]

• Options
    SchrodingerSchrodinger Registered User regular
    Last night I made the best tasting tomato sauce to date despite having crap tomatoes available. I'd been contemplating what would happen if I made some in a pressure cooker for a while and then a short while back Kenji from Serious Eats wrote something up about it. I basically spliced together two recipes, my usual tomato sauce recipe: https://food52.com/recipes/13722-marcella-hazan-s-tomato-sauce-with-onion-and-butter and http://www.seriouseats.com/recipes/2016/10/pressure-cooker-tomato-sauce.html

It turned out I had forgotten to restock my San Marzano tomatoes though so I worked with a can of store brand whole tomatoes I originally picked up a few years back intending to mix with better tomatoes in soup before finding where the San Marzanos were located in stores.

Ingredients used:
    One 28ish oz can of tomatoes
    One medium sized onion
    One carrot
    A bunch of dried basil
    A decent amount of dried oregano but not as much as the basil
    An even smaller amount of dried red pepper flakes
    2 glugs of fish sauce
    Kosher salt
    4 Tbsp unsalted butter

Onion was peeled, trimmed, and cut in half. Carrot was cut into 3 or 4 chunks. Tomatoes were dumped into a pressure cooker, then "chopped" by cutting them up with kitchen shears. Added a generous amount of basil to make up for the poor quality tomatoes (basil shares the chemical compound that makes good tomatoes taste good so it can help compensate for poor tomatoes), then the oregano and red pepper flakes. Added the fish sauce, eyeballing about 2 teaspoons worth. Added the onion and carrot and stirred. Added the butter. Turned on the heat until the butter was melted and stirred again.

Since I was using an electric pressure cooker, I put the lid on, set it to high pressure, and set the timer for 48 minutes, adding a few to Kenji's recommended 45 minutes as electric cookers are usually a bit lower pressure and lower temperature than stove top models. After it was done and had come back to normal atmospheric pressure, I noticed the result was really, really watery. I think it was a combination of the poor quality tomatoes (they were packed in a lot of runny liquid) and the amount of butter I added in. Without being able to boil off, all that water stayed around. So I removed the onion and carrot and threw the proto-sauce into a saucier and simmered it until the liquid had reduced (the saute setting on the electric cooker uses a higher temperature than I like for reducing sauces but would be an option if I was really lazy) and the result was a really deeply flavored sauce for about 3 entree sized servings of pasta.

Will see the results with using better tomatoes later this week but I'm keeping the butter for flavor reasons.

Does this mean that canned tomatoes aren't pre-pressure cooked in the canning process? I guess this is something where they could rely entirely on pH levels.

• Options
    DeciusDecius I'm old! I'm fat! I'M BLUE!Registered User regular
    Ok I have this slow cooker recipe, and I have a question about its preparation.
    Slow Cooker Korean Beef

Ingredients
    • 1-2lbs flank steak cut into strips/cubes
    • 2 tbsp Sesame Oil
    • 2 tbsp Mirin
    • 1/2 cup soy sauce
    • 1 tsp red pepper flakes
    • 1/2 cup brown sugar
    • 1 medium onion chopped
    • 4 cloves garlic minced
    • 1/4 cup cornstarch
    • 3/4 peanut butter milk stout!!! basically I take a sip and pour the rest in. really this is an awesome addition. if you don't have this or a similar beer throw in 1/2 cup beef broth.

Directions
    Chop your flank steak up and toss and coat with corn starch.

Throw the rest of the ingredients in and stir, add the steak and cook for 3-4 hours on high or 5-6 on low. I serve it over jasmine rice with green onions as a garnish.

It says toss and coat the meat. Do I toss it with the oil first, before coating it in the cornstarch? Or am I just tossing and coating with the cornstarch?

camo_sig2.png
    I never finish anyth
  • Options
    lonelyahavalonelyahava Call me Ahava ~~She/Her~~ Move to New ZealandRegistered User regular
    just with the cornstarch, is my guess. I'd normally just toss beef with flour for a beef stew type thing.

• Options
    Steel AngelSteel Angel Registered User regular
    edited November 2016
    Last night I made the best tasting tomato sauce to date despite having crap tomatoes available. I'd been contemplating what would happen if I made some in a pressure cooker for a while and then a short while back Kenji from Serious Eats wrote something up about it. I basically spliced together two recipes, my usual tomato sauce recipe: https://food52.com/recipes/13722-marcella-hazan-s-tomato-sauce-with-onion-and-butter and http://www.seriouseats.com/recipes/2016/10/pressure-cooker-tomato-sauce.html

It turned out I had forgotten to restock my San Marzano tomatoes though so I worked with a can of store brand whole tomatoes I originally picked up a few years back intending to mix with better tomatoes in soup before finding where the San Marzanos were located in stores.

Ingredients used:
    One medium sized onion
    One carrot
    A bunch of dried basil
    2 glugs of fish sauce
    Kosher salt
    4 Tbsp unsalted butter

Onion was peeled, trimmed, and cut in half. Carrot was cut into 3 or 4 chunks. Tomatoes were dumped into a pressure cooker, then "chopped" by cutting them up with kitchen shears. Added a generous amount of basil to make up for the poor quality tomatoes (basil shares the chemical compound that makes good tomatoes taste good so it can help compensate for poor tomatoes), then the oregano and red pepper flakes. Added the fish sauce, eyeballing about 2 teaspoons worth. Added the onion and carrot and stirred. Added the butter. Turned on the heat until the butter was melted and stirred again.

Since I was using an electric pressure cooker, I put the lid on, set it to high pressure, and set the timer for 48 minutes, adding a few to Kenji's recommended 45 minutes as electric cookers are usually a bit lower pressure and lower temperature than stove top models. After it was done and had come back to normal atmospheric pressure, I noticed the result was really, really watery. I think it was a combination of the poor quality tomatoes (they were packed in a lot of runny liquid) and the amount of butter I added in. Without being able to boil off, all that water stayed around. So I removed the onion and carrot and threw the proto-sauce into a saucier and simmered it until the liquid had reduced (the saute setting on the electric cooker uses a higher temperature than I like for reducing sauces but would be an option if I was really lazy) and the result was a really deeply flavored sauce for about 3 entree sized servings of pasta.

Will see the results with using better tomatoes later this week but I'm keeping the butter for flavor reasons.

Does this mean that canned tomatoes aren't pre-pressure cooked in the canning process? I guess this is something where they could rely entirely on pH levels.

Pressure canning is not the same as pressure cooking as far as the term is normally used. My limited research suggests that the time for the former is a lot shorter than what you normally do with the latter. So the results are quite different. But I'm pretty sure tomatoes rely on the acidity as most references to pressure canning are for low acid foods.
    Decius wrote: »
    Ok I have this slow cooker recipe, and I have a question about its preparation.
    Slow Cooker Korean Beef

Ingredients
    • 1-2lbs flank steak cut into strips/cubes
    • 2 tbsp Sesame Oil
    • 2 tbsp Mirin
    • 1/2 cup soy sauce
    • 1 tsp red pepper flakes
    • 1/2 cup brown sugar
    • 1 medium onion chopped
    • 4 cloves garlic minced
    • 1/4 cup cornstarch
    • 3/4 peanut butter milk stout!!! basically I take a sip and pour the rest in. really this is an awesome addition. if you don't have this or a similar beer throw in 1/2 cup beef broth.

Directions
    Chop your flank steak up and toss and coat with corn starch.

Throw the rest of the ingredients in and stir, add the steak and cook for 3-4 hours on high or 5-6 on low. I serve it over jasmine rice with green onions as a garnish.

It says toss and coat the meat. Do I toss it with the oil first, before coating it in the cornstarch? Or am I just tossing and coating with the cornstarch?

Coating meat with corn starch before throwing it on the heat is a common thing in Asian cooking to get crispier texture. It's basically a dredge without the flour taste.

Steel Angel on
    Big Dookie wrote: »
    I found that tilting it doesn't work very well, and once I started jerking it, I got much better results.

Steam Profile
    3DS: 3454-0268-5595 Battle.net: SteelAngel#1772
  • Options
    m!ttensm!ttens he/himRegistered User regular
    Cornstarch also helps give that really shiny look to Asian dishes which some people like (me) and others don't (my wife).

• Options
    SimpsoniaSimpsonia Registered User regular

Ingredients used:
    One medium sized onion
    One carrot
    A bunch of dried basil
    2 glugs of fish sauce
    Kosher salt
    4 Tbsp unsalted butter

Have you tried making Kenji's original red sauce recipe? The pressure cooker one is a good approximation, but if you have the time, you really need to try the original. The carmelization that occurs when cooking it in the oven makes for a sauce unlike any I've had before. seriouseats.com/2014/09/the-food-lab-use-the-oven-to-make-the-best-darned-italian-american-red-sauce-ever-recipe.html

• Options
    ResIpsaLoquiturResIpsaLoquitur Not a grammar nazi, just alt-write. Registered User regular
    I'm at a loss, and looking for a bit of urgent help.

I was making some cheesecakes for friends, and I ended up making a new recipe, specifically this one: http://www.foodnetwork.com/recipes/alton-brown/sour-cream-cheesecake-recipe.html

I followed the instructions carefully, and let it (them, really, as I made 2) cool in the oven and set overnight in the refrigerator. Removed from the pans, they hold their shape on the outside, and cut fairly easily, but the inside is...too moist. It's not a liquid and it does hold its shape, but only just barely. I had planned on delivering surprise slices to friends, but they're not really firm enough to transport.

I'm trying to figure out what to do. I think rebaking is out, freezing doesn't seem viable... I'm thinking I might scoop out the innards, whip it up and use it as a cheesecake-custard filling for something, but that feels like a nuclear option. If anyone has an idea on salvaging what I have, I'd certainly appreciate it.

League of Legends: MichaelDominick; Blizzard(NA): MichaelD#11402; Steam ID: MichaelDominick
    PwH4Ipj.jpg
  • Options
    ChanusChanus Harbinger of the Spicy Rooster Apocalypse The Flames of a Thousand Collapsed StarsRegistered User regular
    did you use light sour cream?

not having the fat would possibly cause the mixture to be thinner than intended

Allegedly a voice of reason.
  • Options
    ResIpsaLoquiturResIpsaLoquitur Not a grammar nazi, just alt-write. Registered User regular
    edited November 2016
    Chanus wrote: »
    did you use light sour cream?

not having the fat would possibly cause the mixture to be thinner than intended

Just checked. Standard sour cream, single ingredient, "cultured cream". It wasn't wearing a monocle, so I don't know HOW cultured, but it seems to be the real deal.

Edit: To add, I'm concerned it just didn't cook quite long enough. I followed the instructions exactly, giving it the hot water bath at the prescribed temperature, cooking for an hour, then letting sit in the oven for an hour, before cooling in the fridge. Nonetheless, that's how it seems to me. No real jiggle, but its insides are more like pudding than pie. In fact, I'd describe it quite like that--a consistency similar to a homemade cooked jello pudding pie.

ResIpsaLoquitur on
    League of Legends: MichaelDominick; Blizzard(NA): MichaelD#11402; Steam ID: MichaelDominick
    PwH4Ipj.jpg
  • Options
    That_GuyThat_Guy I don't wanna be that guy Registered User regular
    How did you prepare the filling? Did you use a hand/stand mixer or did you do it by hand?

• Options
    That_Guy wrote: »
    How did you prepare the filling? Did you use a hand/stand mixer or did you do it by hand?

Stand mixer: sour cream first, then cream cheese and sugar, then the eggs, cream, and vanilla (mixed together by hand, initially). Mixed until reaching a fairly even texture.

PwH4Ipj.jpg
  • Options
    edited November 2016
    What was the consistency before baking? IIRC it should be something like pancake batter.

Edit: I might also consider beating the egg, sugar, cream, flavor mix a bit. Maybe to a soft foam before mixing it with the rest of the ingredients.

That_Guy on
  • Options
    What was the consistency before baking? IIRC it should be something like pancake batter.

It was, perhaps a little thicker than how I make pancakes, but in that ballpark, definitely.

PwH4Ipj.jpg
  • Options
    VishNubVishNub Registered User regular
    I think I agree with you -- it sounds like it probably didn't fully cook all the way through. I know you followed the recipe, but... it is possible your oven thermostat is off. You can check that with a $3 oven thermometer, but that doesn't help you now.

I would probably rebake one of them for another 10-15m after letting it come to room temp (if you have time for all that). If that works, repeat with the other one.

• Options
    ChanusChanus Harbinger of the Spicy Rooster Apocalypse The Flames of a Thousand Collapsed StarsRegistered User regular
    yeah ovens are often boxes of hot lies

Allegedly a voice of reason.
  • Options
    VishNub wrote: »
    I think I agree with you -- it sounds like it probably didn't fully cook all the way through. I know you followed the recipe, but... it is possible your oven thermostat is off. You can check that with a $3 oven thermometer, but that doesn't help you now.

I would probably rebake one of them for another 10-15m after letting it come to room temp (if you have time for all that). If that works, repeat with the other one.

I'll give it a go. I've sliced into one, but not the other. While they sit out to get to room temperature, do you have an opinion as to which one, and what do you think about using a water bath this time around as well?

PwH4Ipj.jpg
  • Options
    I guess the sliced one, since it's kind of already fucked (I'm sure it tastes fine, but the presentation is getting dicey).

Bake for 15, then check a slice on the other side.

• Options
    AbsoluteZeroAbsoluteZero The new film by Quentin Koopantino Registered User regular
    edited November 2016

I was making some cheesecakes for friends, and I ended up making a new recipe, specifically this one: http://www.foodnetwork.com/recipes/alton-brown/sour-cream-cheesecake-recipe.html

I followed the instructions carefully, and let it (them, really, as I made 2) cool in the oven and set overnight in the refrigerator. Removed from the pans, they hold their shape on the outside, and cut fairly easily, but the inside is...too moist. It's not a liquid and it does hold its shape, but only just barely. I had planned on delivering surprise slices to friends, but they're not really firm enough to transport.

I'm trying to figure out what to do. I think rebaking is out, freezing doesn't seem viable... I'm thinking I might scoop out the innards, whip it up and use it as a cheesecake-custard filling for something, but that feels like a nuclear option. If anyone has an idea on salvaging what I have, I'd certainly appreciate it.

Most likely under cooked. 250 degrees seems low. You don't really need a water bath for cheesecake either. For my cheesecakes I like to do 325 degrees for one hour. Then turn the oven off and, without opening the oven door, let the cheesecake rest inside for another hour. Finally move the cheesecake to a wire rack to cool to room temperature before refrigerating.

Edit: I'll add that AB's recipes are usually pretty solid in my experience, so the texture you are experiencing may be the intended result.

AbsoluteZero on
    cs6f034fsffl.jpg
  • Options

Most likely under cooked. 250 degrees seems low. You don't really need a water bath for cheesecake either. For my cheesecakes I like to do 325 degrees for one hour. Then turn the oven off and, without opening the oven door, let the cheesecake rest inside for another hour. Finally move the cheesecake to a wire rack to cool to room temperature before refrigerating.

Yeah, I found 250 to be on the low side as well, but I usually do pretty well following Alton Brown's recipes. My standard, which is cream cheese as the only dairy, goes without a water bath and at about 300-325.

It looks like it was undercooked. I took @VishNub 's advice and cooked the sliced one a bit more. Not quite enough, but it definitely firmed up and tasted more like it was supposed to.

PwH4Ipj.jpg
  • Options
    Steel AngelSteel Angel Registered User regular

Yeah, I found 250 to be on the low side as well, but I usually do pretty well following Alton Brown's recipes. My standard, which is cream cheese as the only dairy, goes without a water bath and at about 300-325.

It looks like it was undercooked. I took VishNub 's advice and cooked the sliced one a bit more. Not quite enough, but it definitely firmed up and tasted more like it was supposed to.

A lot of ovens have trouble holding temperatures on the low side. Newer ovens tend to be better at it but it's inconsistent for older ones.

Big Dookie wrote: »
    I found that tilting it doesn't work very well, and once I started jerking it, I got much better results.

Steam Profile
    3DS: 3454-0268-5595 Battle.net: SteelAngel#1772
  • Options
    jungleroomxjungleroomx It's never too many graves, it's always not enough shovels Registered User regular
    @Steel Angel

I don't know if you've tried this before, but try replacing the kosher salt with freshly grated parmesan. It should liquefy fairly well and adds savory/saltiness to the sauce directly without it actually being salt.

You usually need to double up on the amount as compared to the salt, but I feel it gives it a nicer bit of texture and a more flavorful "saltiness" in the process.

• Options
    jungleroomxjungleroomx It's never too many graves, it's always not enough shovels Registered User regular
    edited November 2016
    Southern Maryland Stuffed Ham incoming.

It's a regional recipe from my old hometown that is as follows:

Take diced kale, 1/2 cup red pepper flakes, 1 tbs celery salt, 1 tsp garlic powder, and 1 tsp of green pepper flakes and mix it all up. Take a chef's knife to a good cut of ham (bone in!) and make some deep incisions, stuff the incisions with the prior kale mix. Spread remaining mixture over the outside and wrap in cheesecloth and let set in fridge overnight to let the seasoning seep into the meat.

Next day, fill a large pot with vegetable stock, a peeled onion (whole), and a tbs of salt. Bring to boil. Put covered ham in stock and let it go for about an hour.

When it comes out, it should have a slightly stringy texture, but extremely tender. It should be a bit salty and pretty spicy.

Enjoy.

jungleroomx on
  • Options
    XaquinXaquin Right behind you!Registered User regular

Take diced kale, 1/2 cup red pepper flakes, 1 tbs celery salt, 1 tsp garlic powder, and 1 tsp of green pepper flakes and mix it all up. Take a chef's knife to a good cut of ham (bone in!) and make some deep incisions, stuff the incisions with the prior kale mix. Spread remaining mixture over the outside and wrap in cheesecloth and let set in fridge overnight to let the seasoning seep into the meat.

Next day, fill a large pot with vegetable stock, a peeled onion (whole), and a tbs of salt. Bring to boil. Put covered ham in stock and let it go for about an hour.

When it comes out, it should have a slightly stringy texture, but extremely tender. It should be a bit salty and pretty spicy.

Enjoy.

Thought I was the only southern marylander here

glad you made it out!

• Options
    I'm hosting Thanksgiving (and my in-laws) this year. Right now I'm planning to smoke a turkey and make my grandmother's recipe for potatoes: boiled then riced, add butter and sour cream, nope keep adding more butter and sour cream, don't whip too much, it should be creamy but not overly smooth.

Beyond that, my wife is making pies and cranberry sauce, my mother-in-law is bringing two sides and my sister-in-law is in charge of salad and alcohol. That leaves me to make stuffing and dinner rolls.

There are some picky eaters so I will probably go with a simple/classic sage & bread stuffing; though I suppose it should be dressing since it's not stuffed in anything (due to health and logistical reasons: see smoker above). Any other ideas about stuffing/dressing?

I was thinking about making dinner rolls but I didn't want anything too fussy (no laminating biscuits or croissants). I was thinking about these but was open to any other suggestions.

• Options
    My normal stuffing is

Pan fry sausage -- usually like sweet italian -- then remove most of the fat.
    Saute onions, shallots, a little garlic, celery, sage leaves
    Add dried fruit -- currants, raisins, apricots, apple, etc...
    Add nuts -- walnuts usually
    Add box stuffing
    Add chicken stock
    Mix
    Bake covered, then higher and uncovered to get some crunchy crust

You get the sweet from the fruit, savory from the sausage, crunchy from the crust and the nuts on a background of tasty stuffing mush. Most people seem to like it.

My girlfriend on the other hand, likes her stuffing exactly as prepared on the box, without baking, and with like, extra celery. It's awful.

We are both partial to the canned cranberry sauce, served with the lines from the can intact. There's something special about that. Like childhood, I guess.

• Options
    DaimarDaimar A Million Feet Tall of Awesome Registered User regular

Woah there! I thought this was the good food thread, not the bad one.

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    Here's a cool trick for infusing your pan stuffing (aka dressing) with extra roasty turkey flavor. Buy a couple of turkey or a few chicken wings. Brown them on a grill or in a pan and add them on top of your dressing. Wings have a lot of great flavor that will soak in during baking. Keep the wing tips intact.

• Options
    Daimar wrote: »

Woah there! I thought this was the good food thread, not the bad one.

What? You're gonna go after walnuts in stuffing, and ignore the canned cranberry sauce?

• Options
    Here's a cool trick for infusing your pan stuffing (aka dressing) with extra roasty turkey flavor. Buy a couple of turkey or a few chicken wings. Brown them on a grill or in a pan and add them on top of your dressing. Wings have a lot of great flavor that will soak in during baking. Keep the wing tips intact.

And as a bonus the chef gets to eat wings while everything is wrapping up in the kitchen :D

• Options
    V1mV1m Registered User regular
    m!ttens wrote: »

And as a bonus the chef gets to eat wings while everything is wrapping up in the kitchen :D

Chef's priv

• Options
    Xaquin wrote: »

Enjoy.

Thought I was the only southern marylander here

glad you made it out!

It took a lot, lemme tell you.

But Facebook has shown my choice to be a wise choice.

• Options
    edited November 2016
    I REALLY wanted French Toast this morning. I had eggs, milk and flavorings but the only bread I had was a couple of stale english muffins. It sounds apocryphal but it was GOOD.
    9v139c2db7hd.jpg

That_Guy on
  • Options
    AresProphetAresProphet Registered User regular
    I REALLY wanted French Toast this morning. I had eggs, milk and flavorings but the only bread I had was a couple of stale english muffins. It sounds apocryphal but it was GOOD.
    9v139c2db7hd.jpg

this is the most delicious-looking political metaphor

ex9pxyqoxf6e.png
  • Options
    9v139c2db7hd.jpg

Something something Bayeux Tapestry, something history repeats itself.
    148680-120828-fare.jpg

In other news, I made a dry run for the Parker House rolls I'll be making at Thanksgiving! Recipe can be found here. Sorry about only showing three instead of the tray of 12... we may have gotten hungry and eaten a bunch before I remembered to take a picture.

VmYJYDY.jpg

These things are great! super soft, fluffy, sweet (without being overly so) rolls, very much like a potato bun but a little more dense.

• Options
    DaedalusDaedalus Registered User regular
    So, turkey day is coming up and I traditionally deep-fry a turkey. Last year I did some French fries after the turkey came out, because the fryer was right there and ready to go. It worked well and I like the idea of doing a deep fried side dish, but fries are boring and i want to do something more interesting. I can't think of what to do, though. Has anyone else here done something like this? What would work well here?

• Options
    edited November 2016
    Whole deep fried potatoes are fun. You parcook them in water and finish them in the frier. Just make sure they're good and dry before dropping in the oil. Deep fried green beans and onion rings with a cream sauce for dipping could be a fun take on the traditional casserole. Naturally you should be doing hush puppies. You could even mix in some pureed onion, garlic, celery and carrots to fill out the flavor profile. You could top it off with some cranberry filled fritters.

If I could think of a way of deep frying gravy I would suggest something there too.

With a deep frier, you only limit is your imagination. Pretty much anything that can be baked, boiled or grilled can also be fried.

That_Guy on
  • Options
    • Take balls of stuffing/dressing (whatever you call it), dip in tempura batter and deep fry.
    • Haricot verts, also battered and deep fried.
    • Cheese curds
    • If the oil is still hot after everyone's done eating supper, deep fried oreos (dipped in pancake batter) are pretty amazing

I haven't owned a deep frier in years, and for good reason. It's hard enough as it is keeping the weight off while eating healthy-ish :D

• Options
    SpoitSpoit *twitch twitch* Registered User regular
    Deep fried Mac and Cheese balls!

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    lonelyahavalonelyahava Call me Ahava ~~She/Her~~ Move to New ZealandRegistered User regular
    Deep fried turkey gravy arancini.

• Options
    NightDragonNightDragon 6th Grade Username Registered User regular
    Stop, my heart

This discussion has been closed.