As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

2 million [Mass Effect Thread]'s in the first day

• Options
    -Tal-Tal Registered User regular
    edited January 2011
    keeping the base actually requires less deus ex machina, since you're getting real, useful information on your enemy instead of hoping they'll just go away, or pretending like the galaxy is in any state to fight them

-Tal on
    PNk1Ml4.png
  • Options
    BotznoyBotznoy Registered User regular
    edited January 2011
    -Tal wrote: »
    keeping the base actually requires less deus ex machina, since you're getting real, useful information on your enemy instead of hoping they'll just go away, or pretending like the galaxy is in any state to fight them

That's a good point, despite the risks of indoctrination (which you could nullify by rotating science teams) the amount of data contained in the production facility of a reaper outweighs the cons

Botznoy on
    IZF2byN.jpg

Want to play co-op games? Feel free to hit me up!
  • Options
    chiasaur11chiasaur11 Never doubt a raccoon. Do you think it's trademarked?Registered User regular
    edited January 2011
    Well, you could save most of the sapient species of the galaxy with nothing more than you have now.

Send a decent population to some halfway livable world somewhere in the ass-end of the galaxy. Include at least one person who knows the score. Maybe some Geth as "service drones". Make sure you're sending stable types

Lock down the relay.

Protheans proved it works in theory, even if they didn't do it well enough to survive.

And the base might be useful in theory, but considering the hurdles involved and the time until the next reaper attack, it's unlikely to produce results before it's too late.

I mean, if the council listened to Shepard's mad rantings, it'd probably be a good thing to hand them. Science teams in shifts and closely monitored after (Partially indoctrinated would be a hell of a lot worse than full husk. Husks can't sabotage your defense grids and form stable fifth columns).

As is, there'd be a lot of damage before any good would be done. People wouldn't listen to Shepard or Kirrahe saying "Hey, be careful with this stuff", and it all goes to hell.

And, let's face it, some of the stuff shouldn't get into anyone's hands if it can be avoided. Indoctrination, at minimum, is something I wouldn't want becoming commonly available.

chiasaur11 on
  • Options
    edited January 2011
    The best way to beat indoctrination is to study it and try to find a counter. Avoiding it won't cut it anymore, because once the reapers come it won't be possible to avoid.

-Tal on
    PNk1Ml4.png
  • Options
    edited January 2011
    The best way to beat indoctrination is to study it and try to find a counter. Avoiding it won't cut it anymore, because once the reapers come it won't be possible to avoid.

Depends on how long it'll take to develop a counter and if Mordin survives.

One thing i don't understand is the fact that the Salarians have knowledge of the existance of reapers, or at the very least the effects of the indoctrination but don't make it known.

Botznoy on
    IZF2byN.jpg

• Options
    chiasaur11chiasaur11 Never doubt a raccoon. Do you think it's trademarked?Registered User regular
    edited January 2011
    Botznoy wrote: »

One thing i don't understand is the fact that the Salarians have knowledge of the existance of reapers, or at the very least the effects of the indoctrination but don't make it known.

Have a guess at that one.

Salarians view war, properly handled, as sitting next to a guy all buddy buddy for weeks, months, years.

Then his bodyguards leave the room, he trusts you completely, and you stab him in the heart.

They probably just don't want to commit to anything before they're ready for a decisive strike. Makes sense.

chiasaur11 on
  • Options
    Dox the PIDox the PI Registered User regular
    edited January 2011
    Hey guys, lets develop a cure of mind control

Dox the PI on
  • Options
    edited January 2011
    No i mean they're whole thing is intelligence, they have a report written by mordin re: Indoctrination but they never choose to say anything. It just bugs me

Botznoy on
    IZF2byN.jpg

• Options
    edited January 2011
    Dox the PI wrote: »
    Hey guys, lets develop a cure of mind control

Rage, Rage will work, it's already an anesthetic
    chiasaur11 wrote: »

Have a guess at that one.

Salarians view war, properly handled, as sitting next to a guy all buddy buddy for weeks, months, years.

Then his bodyguards leave the room, he trusts you completely, and you stab him in the heart.

They probably just don't want to commit to anything before they're ready for a decisive strike. Makes sense.

I thought their whole doctrine was strike first, strike hard, kill with the first blow, they don't have the time too spend fluffing around doing that.

Botznoy on
    IZF2byN.jpg

• Options
    edited January 2011
    Mass_Effect_Paragon_x_Renegade_by_ghostfire.png

It's Vanderloo Shep with FemShep siting on top of him in skimpy clothing

Dox the PI on
  • Options
    TrippyJingTrippyJing Moses supposes his toeses are roses. But Moses supposes erroneously.Registered User regular
    edited January 2011
    fap fap fap

TrippyJing on
    b1ehrMM.gif
  • Options
    edited January 2011
    I dunno.

Feels like you just aren't trying anymore.

chiasaur11 on
  • Options
    edited January 2011
    Holy shit that was top of the page :shock:

Dox the PI on
  • Options
    TurambarTurambar Independent Registered User regular
    edited January 2011
    Taking incest to a whole new level.

Turambar on
    Steam: turamb | Origin: Turamb | 3DS: 3411-1109-4537 | NNID: Turambar | Warframe(PC): Turamb
  • Options
    OrcaOrca Also known as Espressosaurus WrexRegistered User regular
    edited January 2011
    Is that considered twincest?

Orca on
  • Options
    edited January 2011
    Technically masturbation.

chiasaur11 on
  • Options
    curly haired boycurly haired boy Your Friendly Neighborhood Torgue Dealer Registered User regular
    edited January 2011
    whatever it is, it's hot.

curly haired boy on
    RxI0N.png
    Registered just for the Mass Effect threads | Steam: click ^^^ | Origin: curlyhairedboy
  • Options
    edited January 2011
    Don't wear jeans to a strip club, in ME don't wear Heavy armour to a strip club..

Is it weird that i think the hair looks good on femshep

Botznoy on
    IZF2byN.jpg

• Options
    EmporiumEmporium Registered User regular
    edited January 2011

It looks better than any of the hair I've seen in-game.

Emporium on
  • Options
    edited January 2011
    No i mean they're whole thing is intelligence, they have a report written by mordin re: Indoctrination but they never choose to say anything. It just bugs me

they do, Mordin's essay is publicly available

but it's painfully easy for the Council to say "yep, that's some neat technology the geth have for their geth ship, good thing we killed it and it's gone forever"

-Tal on
    PNk1Ml4.png
  • Options
    edited January 2011
    It's classified, by the STG

Botznoy on
    IZF2byN.jpg

• Options
    ForarForar #432 Toronto, Ontario, CanadaRegistered User regular
    edited January 2011
    Emporium wrote: »

It is backwards, however.

In that I thought the consensus was that Hale made the best Renegadeshep.

Forar on
    First they came for the Muslims, and we said NOT TODAY, MOTHERFUCKER!
  • Options
    kedinikkedinik Captain of Industry Registered User regular
    edited January 2011
    Dox the PI wrote: »
    Mass_Effect_Paragon_x_Renegade_by_ghostfire.png

It's Vanderloo Shep with FemShep siting on top of him in skimpy clothing

Sexing yourself isn't incest, per se.

The baby would just be more of yourself!

kedinik on
    I made a game! Hotline Maui. Requires mouse and keyboard.
  • Options
    edited January 2011
    Forar wrote: »
    Emporium wrote: »

It is backwards, however.

In that I thought the consensus was that Hale made the best Renegadeshep.

Best Shep in general, really, but even more true for Renegade, yeah.

She even gets more interrupts!

chiasaur11 on
  • Options
    Captain CarrotCaptain Carrot Alexandria, VARegistered User regular
    edited January 2011
    Dox, you're falling down on the job. The last two pictures have been cute.

Captain Carrot on
  • Options
    DeMoNDeMoN twitch.tv/toxic_cizzle Registered User regular
    edited January 2011
    So are there any sidemissions in ME1 that are actually worth doing?

I mean, the Dr. Heart one was kind of cool, but so far I'm just killing lots of stuff in identical rooms.

DeMoN on
    Steam id : Toxic Cizzle
    *TyCart*_banner.jpg
  • Options
    edited January 2011
    DeMoN wrote: »

I mean, the Dr. Heart one was kind of cool, but so far I'm just killing lots of stuff in identical rooms.

Well, that's the thing.

Lot of the side missions have good writing. But they also have similar or identical gameplay.

Definitely worth considering Wrex's mission, if only for loyalty reasons.

chiasaur11 on
  • Options
    Ethereal IllusionEthereal Illusion Registered User regular
    edited January 2011

Most of them will make some cameo in ME2, however brief and inconsequential.

Otherwise, yah you're killing lots of stuff in identical rooms for little story snippets and/or exp/lootz.

Ethereal Illusion on
    camo_sig2.png
  • Options
    SynthesisSynthesis Honda Today! Registered User regular
    edited January 2011

I'd say stay away from the ones that involve the Mako. The Mako sections that don't suck are, for the most part, mandatory--the side missions involve you climbing up a sheer cliff for ten minutes, popping out for thirty seconds to read a text box of boring text, and repeating the process over again. And they don't really give you much besides a tiny bit of experience and maybe some of those collectibles if you happen to run across them.

Synthesis on
  • Options
    0blique0blique Registered User regular
    edited January 2011
    I read the wiki to figure out where all the mining points were when I did all those mako missions, but it still was very tedious. If you do all the side missions, you will level yourself to 50 in no time, as well as having more credits and level X gear than you know what to do with But that also makes the game way too easy, so maybe it's a better idea to avoid them.

0blique on
  • Options
    LucascraftLucascraft Registered User regular
    edited January 2011
    In terms of side missions in ME1, at least one (maybe more) actually involves Cerberus crap. Them doing experiments of the ethically questionable kind.

Also, there are missions to kill some batarians. Killing batarians is fun.

Lucascraft on
  • Options
    edited January 2011
    Lucascraft wrote: »
    In terms of side missions in ME1, at least one (maybe more) actually involves Cerberus crap. Them doing experiments of the ethically questionable kind.

Oh man really? I didn't think there were any batarians in ME1. At least, I haven't seen any. I think.

DeMoN on
    *TyCart*_banner.jpg
  • Options
    Torso BoyTorso Boy Registered User regular
    edited January 2011
    While doing all the side missions might be tedious, it allows you to fucking steamroll the campaign, which is pretty satisfying.

Oh man really? I didn't think there were any batarians in ME1. At least, I haven't seen any. I think.

Only in the Bring Down the Sky DLC.

Torso Boy on
  • Options
    EmporiumEmporium Registered User regular
    edited January 2011

I think Bring Down the Sky was the introduction of the batarians (at least as far as shooting them in the face goes). I can't recall any other side missions involving batarians.

Emporium on
  • Options
    edited January 2011
    So apparently Bring Down the Sky is free on pc, and usable with the steam version of the game.

Ima get right on that.

DeMoN on
    *TyCart*_banner.jpg
  • Options
    SoundsPlushSoundsPlush yup, back. Registered User regular
    edited January 2011
    Bring Down the Sky is excellent, and you do get to kill a bunch of batarians. But I repeat myself.

As for sidequests, I'd do at least the Cerberus ones so you know how they roll, and the alien squadmate ones (Dr. Heart for Garrus, geth data for Tali, armor for Wrex). Make sure to do the Luna VI one you receive from Hackett at level 20.

SoundsPlush on
    s7Imn5J.png
  • Options
    edited January 2011
    Huh, didn't know Tali gives a sidequest. Maybe I just never went down the right dialogue tree. Or she gave it to me and I just forgot.

DeMoN on
    *TyCart*_banner.jpg
  • Options
    edited January 2011
    Huh, didn't know Tali gives a sidequest. Maybe I just never went down the right dialogue tree. Or she gave it to me and I just forgot.

You need to visit a certain cluster of systems; the Geth Incursion ones, clear all of them, then talk to Tali.

Orca on
  • Options
    metaghostmetaghost An intriguing odor A delicate touchRegistered User regular
    edited January 2011
    Horizon on Insanity is goddamn exhausting.

I'm pretty sure it took me over two hours to clear, especially since it took about 12 deaths to figure out a strategy for clearing the double Scion + Husks battle.

Stupid freezing shockwave attack is annoying as all hell, especially since it insta-killed Miranda.

metaghost on
  • Options
    edited January 2011
    Horizon is definitely a wall the first time you hit it. Double scion + husk charge is a bitch to handle, especially in a confined space. So that's pretty normal.

I won't say it's smooth sailing from here on out, but that's the most difficult mission in the game IMO. Of course, picking up Grunt on insanity isn't exactly a cakewalk either, but you made it through that too.

Orca on