Options

2010 Census Thread

• Options
    Cilla BlackCilla Black Priscilla!!! Registered User regular
    edited January 2011
    Antimatter wrote: »
    And it has a surprisingly low amount of bad stuff in it. Carpe Jugulum is the only book I can think of offhand which was just not good.

never read it, but I couldn't get into Monstrous Regiment

Monstrous Regiment wasn't bad but yeah it really never grew on me. I didn't care about any of the characters and the ending was sort of bleh. Vimes also seemed shoehorned into the story.

Cilla Black on
  • Options
    Metzger MeisterMetzger Meister It Gets Worse before it gets any better.Registered User regular
    edited January 2011
    AWWWW the thread where we were talking about the new chinese fighter jet got closed before i could make a racist joke :(

Metzger Meister on
  • Options
    SeriouslySeriously Registered User regular
    edited January 2011
    nope twitter stopped the cure for cancer

EDIT: how fortunate

for you

Seriously on
  • Options
    UrielUriel Registered User regular
    edited January 2011
    AWWWW the thread where we were talking about the new chinese fighter jet got closed before i could make a racist joke :(

You had a pretty good setup with my post.

Uriel on
  • Options
    AbracadanielAbracadaniel Registered User regular
    edited January 2011
    Flying cars are stupid and you are stupid for thinking it's 'the future'

People have tiny handheld devices that let them communicate with anyone in the world through a simple to use service and can share photos, videos, voice recordings and other information in seconds.

Fuck you and your silly idea of 'the future.'

Abracadaniel on
  • Options
    Shock GShock G Registered User regular
    edited January 2011
    what's going on in here, dudes

Shock G on
  • Options
    WietWiet Mao Mao Registered User regular
    edited January 2011
    Baidol wrote: »
    I am not certain the former resulted in the preclusion of the latter.

It's like a game of Civilsation. Humanity just needs to put a couple of turns into flying cars instead of twitter!

Wiet on
    XStly.jpg
  • Options
    edited January 2011
    where's my jetpack where's my robot hooker

waaaaaah

Abracadaniel on
  • Options
    edited January 2011
    Smart Hero wrote: »

People have tiny handheld devices that let them communicate with anyone in the world through a simple to use service and can share photos, videos, voice recordings and other information in seconds.

Smart Hero, making serious posts.

You are cramping my style.

But seriously flying cars is cool. :(

ITT I would rather fly around than talk to people.

Uriel on
  • Options
    edited January 2011
    I want a nuclear powered sedan

Shock G on
  • Options
    DichotomyDichotomy Registered User regular
    edited January 2011
    seriously
    fuckin' everybody predicts flying cars and jetpacks and space stations and moon colonies

but the shit that is going on with internet and smartphones and such is so much The Future that nobody saw it coming

Dichotomy on
    0BnD8l3.gif
  • Options
    Metzger MeisterMetzger Meister It Gets Worse before it gets any better.Registered User regular
    edited January 2011
    Uriel wrote: »

Chinese jets flying in formation, suddenly one of them veers off to the right without signaling.

If an F-22 shot one down, the pilot would just want to shoot more down in like an hour.

Metzger Meister on
  • Options
    HunterHunter Chemist with a heart of Au Registered User regular
    edited January 2011

Please tell me it was about 'frying'.

Hunter on
  • Options
    edited January 2011
    I want a moon colony powered by hating communism

Shock G on
  • Options
    edited January 2011

Do you really believe the general populace is capable of operating a vehicle that includes an additional dimension of movement.

The only way flying cars will ever be a reality is if they are controlled by an autopilot.

Abracadaniel on
  • Options
    JavenJaven Registered User regular
    edited January 2011
    People drive poorly and aggressively enough now

flying cars would be the single most deadly human invention ever

Javen on
  • Options
    edited January 2011
    Shock G wrote: »
    I want a moon colony powered by hating communism

Well it is the most efficient way of powering a colony.

Free (market) energy.

Uriel on
  • Options
    edited January 2011
    Why the fuck are flying cars being put down now? I mean yeah smart phones and the internet are goddamn amazing if you put any thought into what they mean at all, but what exactly is wrong with thinking about faster travel? Especially if you have friends/loved ones that live far away.

Cilla Black on
  • Options
    LiiyaLiiya Registered User regular
    edited January 2011
    Javen wrote: »

Yeah, I was thinking this too. I can barely drive as it is, god knows what'd happen if you put me in the air.

Liiya on
  • Options
    ZoelZoel I suppose... I'd put it on Registered User regular
    edited January 2011

Have you ever considered that maybe this is awful?

This is a time in human history when it is really easy to not be ignorant, and frankly the internet has done a really good job of making people more ignorant. It's made people less capable of intelligent discourse (which is more or less why I enjoy the schadenfreude when people get mad on a forum). It's proven that the human mind has absolutely no limit to the extent it is willing to convince itself of its own worldview, and that factual knowledge is a wikipedia entry.

Zoel on
    A magician gives you a ring that, when worn, will let you see the world as it truly is.
    However, the ring will never leave your finger, and you will be unable to ever describe to another living person what you see.
  • Options
    edited January 2011
    Yeah why tell you assholes I'm taking a shit when I can beam to your house and ask if I can use yours when my john is clogged.

Uriel on
  • Options
    Raijin QuickfootRaijin Quickfoot I'm your Huckleberry YOU'RE NO DAISYRegistered User, ClubPA regular
    edited January 2011
    We're starting to get into the realm of self-navigating cars so I would imagine by the time flying cars were the norm they would be driving themselves.

Then...Skynet.

Raijin Quickfoot on
  • Options
    edited January 2011
    I.S.S. Fuckyouivan

Shock G on
  • Options
    edited January 2011
    Why the fuck are flying cars being put down now? I mean yeah smart phones and the internet are goddamn amazing if you put any thought into what they mean at all, but what exactly is wrong with thinking about faster travel? Especially if you have friends/loved ones that live far away.

There's quite a leap in skill necessary to go from car to flying. I'm frightened by the drivers that come to PA from New Jersey. I could only imagine those assholes flying.

Hunter on
  • Options
    Viscount IslandsViscount Islands [INSERT SoKo HERE] ...it was the summer of my lifeRegistered User regular
    edited January 2011

Haha I just had the image of a drunk driver flying a car into a stereotypical perfect suburban home and it just fucking explodes.

Viscount Islands on
    I want to do with you
    What spring does with the cherry trees.
  • Options
    JavenJaven Registered User regular
    edited January 2011

Faster travel means teleporters

I am totally okay with teleporters

Javen on
  • Options
    edited January 2011
    Liiya wrote: »

Yeah, I was thinking this too. I can barely drive as it is, god knows what'd happen if you put me in the air.

Well, you are a woman and come from a country that doesn't even drive on the right side of the road.

Hunter on
  • Options
    edited January 2011
    I like that nuclear power airplanes were at one time considered a priority of the US Government.

Zoel on
    A magician gives you a ring that, when worn, will let you see the world as it truly is.
    However, the ring will never leave your finger, and you will be unable to ever describe to another living person what you see.
  • Options
    DichotomyDichotomy Registered User regular
    edited January 2011
    if flying cars were invented I would move into a bunker

Dichotomy on
    0BnD8l3.gif
  • Options
    QuothQuoth the Raven Miami, FL FOR REALRegistered User regular
    edited January 2011
    And it has a surprisingly low amount of bad stuff in it. Carpe Jugulum is the only book I can think of offhand which was just not good.

i know it's been two pages but i just wanted to say that i read this book the other day and it is actually quite enjoyable

it has some fun ruminations with that omnian priest, and it has agnes nitt, who is a delight

Quoth on
  • Options
    edited January 2011

Faster travel is fine, but that '50s mentality that everyone would have a flying car and a robot maid by now is just dumb nostalgia. The logistics of having something like an affordable and easily operated flying car is so staggering that it's almost out of the question.

A high-speed rail system (like the one that's been on the books for a while now) is a hell of a lot more effective and environmentally friendly than a shitton of flying cars (powered by fossil fuels)

Abracadaniel on
  • Options
    edited January 2011

Do you really believe the general populace is capable of operating a vehicle that includes an additional dimension of movement.

The only way flying cars will ever be a reality is if they are controlled by an autopilot.

Do people ever realize just how complicated driving a car is and how quickly a human adapts to doing it? Yes, yes I do believe the general populace is capable of operating a vehicle with an additional dimension of movement especially if roads and driving laws are adapted for flying as well as they are for regular driving.

Roads and road laws are incredibly complex and do an astonishingly good job, overall, of keeping people from getting fucking killed every single day. And people take that for granted constantly. Of course we'll see accidents and all sorts of damage, but not by any substantially higher amount if they take the same level of care and safety into the design of the laws and cars themselves as they do now.

Cilla Black on
  • Options
    edited January 2011
    I DON'T KNOW WHAT WE'RE YELLING ABOUT

Metzger Meister on
  • Options
    edited January 2011

This would be awesome because we would end up with laws that prohibited against the discrimination of people with differing understandings of physics.

Zoel on
  • Options
    EndEnd Registered User regular
    edited January 2011

Teleporters would be awesome.

End on
    I wish that someway, somehow, that I could save every one of us
    zaleiria-by-lexxy-sig.jpg
  • Options
    edited January 2011

fly.jpg

Abracadaniel on
  • Options
    edited January 2011

Yeah why tell you assholes I'm taking a shit when I can beam to your house and ask if I can use yours when my john is clogged.

Also be careful with teleporters, Doom told me they are always a portal to hell.

Uriel on
  • Options
    edited January 2011
    End wrote: »

Teleporters would be awesome.

yeah, until you got stuck in one with a fly and were forced to fuck gina davis. blech.

Metzger Meister on
  • Options
    MaceraMacera UGH GODDAMMIT STOP ENJOYING THINGSRegistered User regular
    edited January 2011
    guys, c'mon

it's the future, there's no need to argue

Macera on
    xet8c.gif
  • Options
    QuothQuoth the Raven Miami, FL FOR REALRegistered User regular
    edited January 2011
    teleporters scare me because how would i know whether it's really me coming out the other side

Quoth on
This discussion has been closed.