As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

NOBODY EXPECTS THE [CHAT] INQUISITION!

• Options
    GoslingGosling Looking Up Soccer In Mongolia Right Now, Probably Watertown, WIRegistered User regular
    edited January 2011
    I'd try it both ways, if you can, but if not, go with the first way. However, I'd also only include the expired term limits from states that had them thrown out or repealed at least five years or so ago, so as to make sure that they're interfering as little as possible. What specifically are you comparing?

Well, the debate basically revolves around the premise that being with/out term limits ultimately results in a better-run society. So what I'm going to try to do is gather up a representative sample of yardsticks that, taken as a group, provide a pretty decent gauge of what kind of state one is. In each statistic, I score the states positively and negatively. The top 10 get scored-- 10 points for 1st, 9 points for 2nd, on down to 1 point for 10th. The bottom 10 get equivalent negative points. Points earned by any one state are credited or charged to the group.

I'll adjust the point total of the smaller group/s to bring it/them in line proportionally with that of the biggest group. If Group A has 10 states and Group B has 20, Group A's score would get doubled.

At the end, compare groups and see what state scores highest.

It's no Nate Silver project, but then, I need the formula to be something I can keep up with.

Gosling on
    I have a new soccer blog The Minnow Tank. Reading it psychically kicks Sepp Blatter in the bean bag.
  • Options
    Captain CarrotCaptain Carrot Alexandria, VARegistered User regular
    edited January 2011
    Also, unless NJ enacted legislative limits and no longer has them, you will technically need another group for "expired gubernatorial and no legislative term limits".

Captain Carrot on
  • Options
    GooeyGooey (\/)┌¶─¶┐(\/) pinch pinchRegistered User regular
    edited January 2011
    jacobkosh wrote: »
    Gooey wrote: »
    3 ninjas high noon at mega mountain

on Netflix instant watch?!

hells yeah

i love terrible movies

I expect a full report

!!!SPOILER ALERT!!!

it is terrible

Gooey on
    919UOwT.png
  • Options
    WMain00WMain00 Registered User regular
    edited January 2011
    oh god okay

so i reformatted and reinstalled windows. I have an HD I use for my OS and an HD I use for media storage. I think some of you may see where this is going but I am currently unable to move, edit, or delete any files on my media drive because I don't have permission.

Security > Permissions > Everyone > Full Control

does not work.

any ideas?

Reboot, press f8 during booting up process and choose safe mode when the options come up (should be F8 to force into the dos menu. If not try f5. If all else fails restart the machine while its booting).

In safe mode you should get the option of an administrator account. In there you can fix user settings and permissions for all user accounts on the system.

WMain00 on
  • Options
    JacobkoshJacobkosh Gamble a stamp. I can show you how to be a real man!Moderator mod
    edited January 2011

hells yeah

i love terrible movies

I expect a full report

!!!SPOILER ALERT!!!

it is terrible

aww jeah

Jacobkosh on
  • Options
    MikeManMikeMan Registered User regular
    edited January 2011

hells yeah

i love terrible movies

I expect a full report

!!!SPOILER ALERT!!!

it is terrible
    reported for lack of spoiler tags

MikeMan on
  • Options
    edited January 2011
    MikeMan wrote: »

hells yeah

i love terrible movies

I expect a full report

!!!SPOILER ALERT!!!

it is terrible

It has 3 ninjas in it!

NOW THE MOVIE IS RUINED FOR EVERYONE

Gooey on
    919UOwT.png
  • Options
    GoslingGosling Looking Up Soccer In Mongolia Right Now, Probably Watertown, WIRegistered User regular
    edited January 2011
    New Jersey showed as having active gubernatorial term limits.

Gosling on
    I have a new soccer blog The Minnow Tank. Reading it psychically kicks Sepp Blatter in the bean bag.
  • Options
    JacobkoshJacobkosh Gamble a stamp. I can show you how to be a real man!Moderator mod
    edited January 2011
    desc wrote: »
    Jakob, I read Flex Mentallo for the first time since the 90s, and now much less of it is over my head (not being a DC guy, all of the Infinite Crisis type reference stuff was totally a mystery).

Which made me go reread Promethea, which I've decided is definitely 100% my favorite comic ever.

Which made me reread All-Star Superman.

Which made me want to re-read Flex Mentallo.

look what you're done! you've trapped me in a Loop Of Comic Excellence.

This is excellent, desc.

Jacobkosh on
  • Options
    ThanatosThanatos Registered User regular
    edited January 2011

hells yeah

i love terrible movies
    Gooey, you need to watch Knock Knock. It is very clearly a movie made by a bunch of mobsters in order to launder money.

Also, Eyeborgs. It's slow at first, but picks up about 2/3rds of the way through. It features Adrian Paul and Danny Trejo.

Thanatos on
  • Options
    DasUberEdwardDasUberEdward Registered User regular
    edited January 2011
    WMain00 wrote: »
    oh god okay

so i reformatted and reinstalled windows. I have an HD I use for my OS and an HD I use for media storage. I think some of you may see where this is going but I am currently unable to move, edit, or delete any files on my media drive because I don't have permission.

Security > Permissions > Everyone > Full Control

does not work.

any ideas?

Reboot, press f8 during booting up process and choose safe mode when the options come up (should be F8 to force into the dos menu. If not try f5. If all else fails restart the machine while its booting).

In safe mode you should get the option of an administrator account. In there you can fix user settings and permissions for all user accounts on the system.

Alright i'll give that a shot. I remember needing to do a lot from the command prompt once before to fix a similar issue. Hopefully this works.

DasUberEdward on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    AbdhyiusAbdhyius Registered User regular
    edited January 2011
    superhero comics r dumb

Abdhyius on
    ftOqU21.png
  • Options
    edited January 2011

hells yeah

i love terrible movies

I expect a full report

!!!SPOILER ALERT!!!

it is terrible

It has 3 ninjas in it!

NOW THE MOVIE IS RUINED FOR EVERYONE
    I HOPE YOU BURN IN HELL GOOEY

MikeMan on
  • Options
    edited January 2011
    If you want terrible movies that were theatrically released, try GI Joe: The Rise of Cobra and Legion.

Thanatos on
  • Options
    edited January 2011
    Thanatos wrote: »

hells yeah

i love terrible movies
    Gooey, you need to watch Knock Knock. It is very clearly a movie made by a bunch of mobsters in order to launder money.

Also, Eyeborgs. It's slow at first, but picks up about 2/3rds of the way through. It features Adrian Paul and Danny Trejo.

Eyeborgs is great. I'll have to try Knock Knock.

If you like Christopher Lambert I suggest Druids. It is so terrible. That and Mean Guns. So bad.

Gooey on
    919UOwT.png
  • Options
    edited January 2011
    Gosling wrote: »
    When Wilson was elected President, his Senate President was sworn in as Governor, but had to resign temporarily at the end of the term so he wouldn't succeed himself as governor, even though he'd been in the office only a month or so, IIRC. Corzine, on the other hand, ran for reelection, correct?

Captain Carrot on
  • Options
    edited January 2011

If you like Christopher Lambert I suggest Druids. It is so terrible. That and Mean Guns. So bad.
    Man, you could go with just Christopher Lambert movies and make a night of it.

I don't know if it's still there, but Subway is one of Luc Besson's early films featuring him, and it is fucking weird (and pretty bad).

You will have trouble rating other movies one star after watching Knock Knock. Toxic Skies is another really bad one; I actually couldn't finish that one.

I've seen Mean Guns, I'll have to check out Druids.

Thanatos on
  • Options
    descdesc Goretexing to death Registered User regular
    edited January 2011
    speaking of, I knew I needed Absolute All-Star Superman, but I'm trying to be more frugal than I have been the last few years, cutting down frivolous purchases, tightening the belt, etc.

then last night I was visiting a buddy of mine and playing Dominion and noticed he had a copy.

oh man oh man

on amazon right now buying it. It is so well-served by the format. if DC were smart they would Absolute-size Flex Mentallo as well, because it's the same Quitely approach with those big full page bleeds with panels overlaid kind of thing, and that kind of thing in the bigger format is perfect. man.

desc on
  • Options
    InquisitorInquisitor Registered User regular
    edited January 2011
    Gooey: watch Surf Ninjas

Inquisitor on
  • Options
    KalkinoKalkino Buttons Londres Registered User regular
    edited January 2011
    Dammit, I just ended up paying 7 quid for some French raspberry jam. It was one of those situations where I had misread the price (I thought it was about 2.5 pounds, which turns out to refer to 250 grams), then felt too silly to put it back on the shelf once I got to the till. It looks dammed good though and should go well with the bread I purchased.

Kalkino on
    Freedom for the Northern Isles!
  • Options
    edited January 2011
    When Wilson was elected President, his Senate President was sworn in as Governor, but had to resign temporarily at the end of the term so he wouldn't succeed himself as governor, even though he'd been in the office only a month or so, IIRC. Corzine, on the other hand, ran for reelection, correct?

A bunch of states had rules that said you couldn't succeed yourself. Virginia's the only state that still has that rule.

Doesn't mean Virginia's the only state with gubernatorial term limits. They just changed what the limit is.

Gosling on
  • Options
    edited January 2011
    Kalkino wrote: »
    Dammit, I just ended up paying 7 quid for some French raspberry jam. It was one of those situations where I had misread the price (I thought it was about 2.5 pounds, which turns out to refer to 250 grams), then felt too silly to put it back on the shelf once I got to the till. It looks dammed good though and should go well with the bread I purchased.

So you're going to need quite a few loaves a bread now is what you're saying.

desc on
  • Options
    edited January 2011
    The thing is, I don't think any of the Absolutes have collected a series as short as Flex. People might not want to pay $50 for 98 pages. It is, at least, being done in the Deluxe format (a la the recent JLA hardbacks) which is about 20% larger than normal.

Jacobkosh on
  • Options
    matt has a problemmatt has a problem Points to 'off' Points to 'on'Registered User regular
    edited January 2011

Or just a spoon, if he's feeling decadent.

matt has a problem on
    nibXTE7.png
  • Options
    edited January 2011
    Inquisitor wrote: »
    Gooey: watch Surf Ninjas

the original ghost rydazzz

Gooey on
    919UOwT.png
  • Options
    WMain00WMain00 Registered User regular
    edited January 2011
    I wonder if DUE fixed it.

WMain00 on
  • Options
    edited January 2011

Man, you could go with just Christopher Lambert movies and make a night of it.

I don't know if it's still there, but Subway is one of Luc Besson's early films featuring him, and it is fucking weird (and pretty bad).

You will have trouble rating other movies one star after watching Knock Knock. Toxic Skies is another really bad one; I actually couldn't finish that one.

I've seen Mean Guns, I'll have to check out Druids.

The dialogue in Druids is what makes it. It is so, so, so bad. The entire supporting cast overacts everything and Christopher Lambert is

well, he's christopher lambert.

Gooey on
    919UOwT.png
  • Options
    KalkinoKalkino Buttons Londres Registered User regular
    edited January 2011

Or just a spoon, if he's feeling decadent.

I do feel kind of decadent, yes. The bakery where I got the bread and jam had pretty neat stuff there, like a large collection of edible baked spoons, forks and the like. I could have got a decadent spoon to eat the decadent jam, then eaten the decadent spoon!

This is the bakery by the way. The interactive photo is not from the London branch, so I think it must be one of the two French branches. It looks about 90% similar to the London one though

Kalkino on
    Freedom for the Northern Isles!
  • Options
    edited January 2011
    The thing is, I don't think any of the Absolutes have collected a series as short as Flex. People might not want to pay $50 for 98 pages. It is, at least, being done in the Deluxe format (a la the recent JLA hardbacks) which is about 20% larger than normal.

ahhh true.

Look, I just want it as big and lavish as humanly possible. :p

I didn't realize "Deluxe" was actually slightly bigger. This placates me.

desc on
  • Options
    edited January 2011
    what is christopher lambert's accent?

MikeMan on
  • Options
    Evil MultifariousEvil Multifarious Registered User regular
    edited January 2011
    Evil Multifarious on
  • Options
    edited January 2011
    what is christopher lambert's accent?
    He's French.

Well, he's American, but his accent is French-Swiss.

Thanatos on
  • Options
    DaxonDaxon Registered User regular
    edited January 2011
    If you want terrible movies that were theatrically released, try GI Joe: The Rise of Cobra and Legion.

GI Joe was hilaribad though.

Haven't seen Legion.

Daxon on
  • Options
    edited January 2011
    He's credited as "Christophe Lambert" in his francophone films; I don't know if that's just to appeal to the French, or if that's because it's his actual name. I suspect the latter.

Thanatos on
  • Options
    edited January 2011

I don't know what this is, but I think I approve.

desc on
  • Options
    edited January 2011
    I was going to say something about how terrible this is.

But it's actually kind of catchy.

Thanatos on
  • Options
    edited January 2011

A bunch of states had rules that said you couldn't succeed yourself. Virginia's the only state that still has that rule.

Doesn't mean Virginia's the only state with gubernatorial term limits. They just changed what the limit is.

Ah, good point, my mistake.

Captain Carrot on
  • Options
    edited January 2011
    Hollywood has really lost the trick of making decent B-movies. Growing up in the 80s, we were surrounded by these genre movies that made up for slim budgets with clever filmmaking. Even when they weren't what you'd call good, a lot of them had envelope-pushing subject matter or innovative practical effects or a nice dose of humor.

Now studios spend $100 million making the exact same kind of movies but po-faced, joyless, and with crap CGI and overbearing color-grading.

Jacobkosh on
  • Options
    edited January 2011
    The second 3 ninjas where they go to japan is subtly racist i think

this is coming from a republican, mind you

Gooey on
    919UOwT.png
  • Options
    edited January 2011
    Commando was made with a paltry (by today's standards) 10 million bucks