As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Super Robot Wars - SRW Z2 (PSP) - Break the World!

• Options
    CygnusZCygnusZ Registered User regular
    edited May 2011
    And an update. Got through the last route split and did the map with little queen.

I'm finding the game easy because of how broken so many of the units are. Dancougar Nova is an absolute monster. Sure the moon base enemies were difficult, but good ol Nova was one shotting them left and right with the Dankuken (now only 30 energy). Add on to that you can wring 3-4 uses of hot blooded, the only real problem is the lack of healing. It's not a big problem though, the thing has fantastic armor and Johnny gets like 4 shots of iron shield.

Amuro and the Macross units are also inexplicably powerful. Of my reals, it feels like Amuro, Camille, Alto, Kiriko and Ozma simply can't get hit. I did manage to get Kiriko hit just once, and all it did was make him an unstoppable monster. OTOH, even with Exia upgraded and an S-Adaptor, I'm having trouble keeping hit percentages down for Setsuna.

Is that mech Simon pilots supposed to be good? I've been keeping him at a decent level and using him, but it just seems like he gets overshadowed by Getter, Mars and Dancougar Nova.

EDIT: I also meant to ask, is L supposed to be good? I've only heard bad things about the DS games, but apparently L sort of got it right?

CygnusZ on
  • Options
    OtakuD00DOtakuD00D Can I hit the exploding rocks? San DiegoRegistered User regular
    edited May 2011
    I never did unlock Chirico's hidden ability. Guy never got hurt enough for it to trigger.

I beat the game a couple days ago. The last battle was a long, drawn out affair that forced me to not resort on my SP until the final boss finally reared his head. He came along with two more of the really big, 80k hp nasties that popped in earlier that stage; I just ignored them and went right for him.

I dunno. The game wasn't really that easy- then again I didn't pump the power past Stage 5 for most of my units. Some got to 6; I focused on Full Upgrade Bonuses instead. Aquarion's easily the most broken thing by endgame if you abuse the crap out of the Element system and carefully manage their SP levels. Also- keeping an EN Replenishing unit nearby.

OtakuD00D on
    makosig.jpg
  • Options
    CyborgZetaCyborgZeta Registered User regular
    edited May 2011
    CygnusZ wrote: »
    EDIT: I also meant to ask, is L supposed to be good? I've only heard bad things about the DS games, but apparently L sort of got it right?
    Huh? The first DS game, W was really really good. Really easy, but yet really good.

L is good too. It took the Partner System from K and fixed it, actually making it worth using. The story is much better than K's mess, and compared to the recent Z2 should provide a decent challenge if you like that.

The Macross F Valkyries were actually very useful in L though that didn't carry over to Z2.

CyborgZeta on
    "Blacker than a moonless night, hotter and more bitter than Hell itself...That is coffee." - Godot
  • Options
    OtakuD00DOtakuD00D Can I hit the exploding rocks? San DiegoRegistered User regular
    edited May 2011
    I dunno... while I found Ozma and Lucah to be useless in the end, Alto and Michael were damn useful. Alto became one of my main grunt killers, especially once I gave him consecutive attack, bumped his power a little, his full upgrade bonus (moar attack bonus), and the Tornado Pack. Michael is a reliable sniper who will last you the whole game, unlike a certain Gundam pilot who dies in mission 48. Besides. His Ace bonus is bilarious: Evade/Accuracy bonus when adjacent to any female main pilot. Close to, if not, a free Focus.

OtakuD00D on
    makosig.jpg
  • Options
    edited May 2011
    And I'm finished. No huge problems, but I'll admit that Gaou gave me a bit of a run for my money.
    My top pilot was Aoi (Dancougar Nova) with 181 kills.
    Who was your top pilot and how many kills did they have?

Some plot notes:
    (Spoilered just in case)
    1) Moby Dick (the beast Crow spends the first half of the game chasing) isn't Magaret's little brother, that's just something Aim told her to get her to fight.

2) At the end, Gaou went into a canyon in the shadow moon and had his memory restored. Probably going there is going to be a big plot point for Saisei.

3) An unhappy (at best neutral) ending to SRW is a first.

4) I predict that Part 2 will have two main characters. A Super Robot developed by Carlos which has Carlos, Ester and Crow as the pilots and a real robot from the remnants of Insalam (Magaret's little brother is a good candidate).

CygnusZ on
  • Options
    edited May 2011
    Some plot notes:
    (Spoilered just in case)
    3) An unhappy (at best neutral) ending to SRW is a first.

4) I predict that Part 2 will have two main characters. A Super Robot developed by Carlos which has Carlos, Ester and Crow as the pilots and a real robot from the remnants of Insalam (Magaret's little brother is a good candidate).
    Nah, SRW K for the DS had an unhappy/neutral ending already. Z2.1 is not the first, although it makes more sense since it's just part 1.

And yeah Esther is most likely going to be a protagonist in Saisei-hen. Don't know what kind of mech she'll be piloting but a Super is likely.

CyborgZeta on
    "Blacker than a moonless night, hotter and more bitter than Hell itself...That is coffee." - Godot
  • Options
    edited May 2011
    Setsuna was my top pilot by game's end, somewhere close to ~131 kills. By FAR. Alto was next up, I believe.
    Ribbons brainwashes ZEXIS's boss. FUCKING RIBBONS!

So what's the deal with Gaou's ability to turn people into dimensional monsters, anyway? He eats their essence and corrupts them or something?

I'm totally max-tuning Todoh's Gekka as soon as I get it. It turns out his Full Upgrade Bonus is the ability to ignore barriers. I assume this includes Dimensional Monster barriers.

OtakuD00D on
    makosig.jpg
  • Options
    edited May 2011
    Here's what we do know about Gaou:
    1) He's not human.

2) He travels dimensions to get a strong army of dimensional beasts. He tells Zexis that they are better off not knowing why he does so.

3) He didn't kill Zexis at first because he wanted them to get stronger before turning them into DM.

4) Visting Moon Will, Professor Satome, Lord Genome and a few others somehow jogged his memory.

5) Not sure if it's related, but Ranka, Nia, Eureaka and Eureka all somehow know the same song but learned it from different places. I'm also going to predict an event in Z2 where Ranka, Sheryl and Lacus have a joint concert and they sing the song together.

Also:

http://www.andriasang.com/e/blog/2011/05/18/this_weeks_famitsu/
    It's been literally weeks since a new Super Robot Wars game appeared in Famitsu. It's about time for another one, don't you think?

This week's Famitsu has a first look at 2nd Super Robot Wars OG, a PS3 entry in the OG series. According to early reports, the game will have 2D battle scenes that look really sweet.

It's extremely disappointing (and let's face it, stupid) they didn't make the mainline game on PS3. Oh well, at least a PS3 Zeta 2 collection is all but guaranteed for next year now.

CygnusZ on
  • Options
    cj iwakuracj iwakura The Rhythm Regent Bears The Name FreedomRegistered User regular
    edited May 2011
    Maybe they want this one to get a US release. OG was the only chance SRT ever got.

cj iwakura on
    wVEsyIc.png
  • Options
    PureauthorPureauthor Registered User regular
    edited May 2011
    ... It is in fact not stupid that they made SRWZ2 on the PSP instead of the PS3. It's pretty much the best platform possible in terms of returns.

Anyway, new OG game. Even if I never play it, there's remixed music all up in this joint.

Pureauthor on
    SS FC: 1334 0950 5927
    Platinum FC: 2880 3245 5111
  • Options
    cj iwakuracj iwakura The Rhythm Regent Bears The Name FreedomRegistered User regular
    edited May 2011
    Still bitter Exceed didn't come out here. I would've bought it just for Reiji and Xiaomu. Twice.

cj iwakura on
    wVEsyIc.png
  • Options
    edited May 2011
    In general, SRW sales potential in the abroad market is probably pretty low. It's a super text heavy turn based strategy RPG. The game itself isn't even really that great, it's pushed a lot by the beautiful animation and popularity of the anime series appearing in the game.

Z2 on PSP itself isn't a bad decision, but I don't get why you'd make a more expensive game with way less sales potential on the more expensive platform. They should both be on PSP, or if one of those games MUST be on a HD console, it makes more sense to give it to Z2.

CygnusZ on
  • Options
    edited May 2011
    Smaller roster, I guess. Less stuff to animate and... stuff.

Also, I heard somewhere that these backgrounds are 3D models instead of sprites.

Pureauthor on
  • Options
    MaddocMaddoc I'm Bobbin Threadbare, are you my mother? Registered User regular
    edited May 2011
    OG pretty much tanked the idea that SRW sells purely on the popularity of the series contained therein.

I won't argue that it's certainly one factor, but the OG series has been massively, massively popular without any of that.

Maddoc on
  • Options
    edited May 2011
    Not quite as popular as mainline 'anime mecha' series, though.

They get around 270K to the others' 400-450K.

Pureauthor on
  • Options
    edited May 2011
    I doubt Atlus USA still cares about the franchise. If it wasn't made in-house, they don't really care about niche Japanese games anymore.

cj iwakura on
    wVEsyIc.png
  • Options
    Xenogears of BoreXenogears of Bore Registered User regular
    edited May 2011
    That's not entirely true; it's more of a case of less and less of these games coming out and more competition.

Xenogears of Bore on
    3DS CODE: 3093-7068-3576
  • Options
    edited May 2011
    They have absolutely zero Japanese titles planned that weren't made by Atlus JP, and a ton of worthwhile titles that no one's localized. Heck, most of the ones that they would have done in the past, XSeed and Aksys have been doing instead.

cj iwakura on
    wVEsyIc.png
  • Options
    Xenogears of BoreXenogears of Bore Registered User regular
    edited May 2011
    Hence the competition.

Also I wouldn't localize most of the crap that's left over, primarily because it is all for the PSP.

Xenogears of Bore on
    3DS CODE: 3093-7068-3576
  • Options
    edited May 2011
    Pureauthor wrote: »
    Not quite as popular as mainline 'anime mecha' series, though.

They get around 270K to the others' 400-450K.

The main line games tend to sell around 500K, with the popularity of the series peaking at Alpha1 and steadily decreasing (though I have hope Z2 will get lifetime sales to match Z). OG has erratic performance, with the PS2 games actually selling really well (OGs 450K and OG:G 300K), but the DS spinoffs and Masou Kishin only pulling 100K each.

But yes, the games with licenses do tend to sell better because people care more about Gundam than Gesphalt.

CygnusZ on
  • Options
    edited May 2011
    Z2 on PSP itself isn't a bad decision, but I don't get why you'd make a more expensive game with way less sales potential on the more expensive platform. They should both be on PSP, or if one of those games MUST be on a HD console, it makes more sense to give it to Z2.
    Likely because putting Z2 on PSP lets them reuse sprites from the original Z. If it had been on PS3 they'd likely have to go back and touch up all the sprites for an HD system.

PSP was cheaper to develop for and has a bigger audience. My guess is that they used OG for their first HD SRW because they can probably afford to take risks with the OG stuff. Mainline games are a different story I'm guessing.

CyborgZeta on
  • Options
    edited May 2011
    "2nd Super Robot Wars OG"? Wasn't there already an OG2? Is it yet ANOTHER remake of that? What's going on?

OtakuD00D on
    makosig.jpg
  • Options
    edited May 2011
    Sounds like a new OG, not the Kyosuke/Excellen one.

cj iwakura on
    wVEsyIc.png
  • Options
    edited May 2011
    Why not call it OG3/The 3rd OG?

OtakuD00D on
    makosig.jpg
  • Options
    edited May 2011
    Well OG1 and OG2 were remade and compiled together into OGs; and OGG was a side game.

Maybe they're going from that, as a sequel to OGs?

CyborgZeta on
  • Options
    edited May 2011
    CyborgZeta wrote: »
    Well OG1 and OG2 were remade and compiled together into OGs; and OGG was a side game.

This seems to be the most likely case.

From the scans, it looks like Rai-Oh, Cerberus from MX, and Aile Chevalier from D at least are in

Having trouble determining too much else from the horribad scans

Maddoc on
  • Options
    edited May 2011
    CyborgZeta wrote: »

Oh, right.

OtakuD00D on
    makosig.jpg
  • Options
    FrosteeyFrosteey Elaise 1521-2945-8940Registered User regular
    edited May 2011
    What why wouldn't it focus on Kyosuke and Excellen : ( I really love the OG cast in general though so I'm excited since I haven't played anything since the GBA games.

I'm playing through Z2 now and I was pleasantly surprised with Dancougar Nova being a super robot that I do not hate. The genre is in dire need of more bishounen pilots.

Also hooked up Kallen with the Yggdrasil drive and EN regen part and she is microwaving everything ever and it is the best. And also feeding Lulu kills against all the people you would normally expect to shoot him down and it is the best : D

Frosteey on
  • Options
    edited May 2011
    Just looking on 2ch on the way back from work, this game is

第2次スーパーロボット大戦オリジナルジェネレーション

The other games were:

スーパーロボット大戦オリジナルジェネレーション
    スーパーロボット大戦オリジナルジェネレーション2
    スーパーロボット大戦オリジナルジェネレーションズ
    and
    スーパーロボット大戦オリジナルジェネレーション外伝

CygnusZ on
  • Options
    IanatorIanator Gaze upon my works, ye mighty and facepalm.Registered User regular
    edited May 2011
    One scan on /m/ has Altairlion (Ibis's unit from @2), Flickerei Geist (a Gespenst MkIII mashup from Real Robot Regiment) and three custom Gespies for Russel, Katina and Kai (looks like Katina took Kai's double-Stake unit from OGG).

Ianator on
    steam_sig.png
    Twitch | Blizzard: Ianator#1479 | 3DS: Ianator - 1779 2336 5317 | FFXIV: Iana Ateliere (NA Sarg)
    Backlog Challenge List
  • Options
    edited May 2011
    Frosteey wrote: »
    I'm playing through Z2 now and I was pleasantly surprised with Dancougar Nova being a super robot that I do not hate. The genre is in dire need of more bishounen pilots.

Um.

Aoi is a girl. That said, I guess you can settle for Aquarion once it comes in roughly halfway through the game. Best boss-killer in the game, bar none.

OtakuD00D on
    makosig.jpg
  • Options
    edited May 2011
    OtakuD00D wrote: »

Um.

Aoi is a girl. That said, I guess you can settle for Aquarion once it comes in roughly halfway through the game. Best boss-killer in the game, bar none.

Sakuya and Johnny : ( Aoi and Kurara are good though, it's like the only super robot ever where I actually like all the pilots.

I just did mission 27 though and got Aquarion and a bunch of stuff but I think most of its pilots are ugly so I probably won't use it.

I think my fifteen person team will be mostly...
    Kallen
    Lulu
    Tohdoh

Klan
    Michel

Simon
    Kittan

Duo
    Quatre
    Lunamaria
    Lockon
    Garrod

Aoi

Athena

Crow

It is a pretty good team : D

Honestly, maybe take Crow out for more of the gundams, or Chirico, or a supply unit or something. His attacks are nice and all but even his most basic handgun shooting takes like thirty seconds.

Frosteey on
  • Options
    edited May 2011
    It's a character game so I think you can sort of get away with what you want to do, but just be aware that you're going to actually make the game pretty hard if you're aiming for SR points. You're really only going to use only one super?

You like pretty boys but not using Loran? For shame for shame

CygnusZ on
  • Options
    PataPata Registered User regular
    edited May 2011
    Katina and Russel are getting custom Gespensts yessssssssssssss

Pata on
    SRWWSig.pngEpisode 5: Mecha-World, Mecha-nisim, Mecha-beasts
  • Options
    edited May 2011
    OtakuD00D wrote: »

Um.

Sakuya and Johnny : ( Aoi and Kurara are good though, it's like the only super robot ever where I actually like all the pilots.

I just did mission 27 though and got Aquarion and a bunch of stuff but I think most of its pilots are ugly so I probably won't use it.

I think my fifteen person team will be mostly...
    Kallen
    Lulu
    Tohdoh

Klan
    Michel

Simon
    Kittan

Duo
    Quatre
    Lunamaria
    Lockon
    Garrod

Aoi

Athena

Crow

It is a pretty good team : D

Honestly, maybe take Crow out for more of the gundams, or Chirico, or a supply unit or something. His attacks are nice and all but even his most basic handgun shooting takes like thirty seconds.

The default three pilots are just fine. The rest are honestly pointless and just there for alternate seishin. Besides, the default setup gives you Bishounen co-pilot and his creepy sister.

Gonna agree with Cygnus. It's a bad, bad idea to focus on SR points on your first run if you're going to ignore most of the Supers. Reals just don't hit hard enough in this game to reliably deal with the DM barrier outside of a select few.

Todoh's Gekka has Barrier Pierce if you max out its stats. Go for it.

OtakuD00D on
    makosig.jpg
  • Options
    edited May 2011
    It's a character game so I think you can sort of get away with what you want to do, but just be aware that you're going to actually make the game pretty hard if you're aiming for SR points. You're really only going to use only one super?

When I was just browsing the new pilots I got I was going to use him, but then I saw what Turn A gundam actually looks like and there is no way I can use it.

Do Dancougar Nova and King Kittan not count : (

Also I thought a bunch of the things I'm using have barrier pierce on the best attack, and I've got ignore size on pretty much everyone who could use it already.

AnywayI was doing SR points for a bit but since there's no real prize for it I generally just ignore them. I would rather just more efficiently work towards the ace bonuses I want or whatever.

Frosteey on
  • Options
    edited May 2011
    Getter Robo comes super early and is awesome in every way

Including the completely rad bgm, HEATS

Maddoc on
  • Options
    edited May 2011
    He apparently only likes pretty guys. Which the Getter Robo trio don't really qualify for.

Now, if he was looking for people with the greatest number of awesome murderfaces...

Pureauthor on
  • Options
    edited May 2011
    And the naming matter has been settled.

http://www.andriasang.com/e/blog/2011/05/19/suparobo_name/

CyborgZeta on
  • Options
    edited May 2011

When I was just browsing the new pilots I got I was going to use him, but then I saw what Turn A gundam actually looks like and there is no way I can use it.

Do Dancougar Nova and King Kittan not count : (

Also I thought a bunch of the things I'm using have barrier pierce on the best attack, and I've got ignore size on pretty much everyone who could use it already.

AnywayI was doing SR points for a bit but since there's no real prize for it I generally just ignore them. I would rather just more efficiently work towards the ace bonuses I want or whatever.

Nova is overpowered, Kittan is not. How about using Gravion? Getter Robo is great, though I don't think the piltos qualify as pretty-boys.

CygnusZ on