As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[Space Wars] The Next Generation

• Options
    SynthesisSynthesis Honda Today! Registered User regular
    edited February 2011
    Page- wrote: »
    That's what Descent is for.

And it still had tri-cording.

fun, more detailed game physics > 90s game physics

Fix'd. If not, why not keep TIE Fighter's visuals too? Why have joystick support or better resolutions? Why bother with a new TIE Fighter at all? :P

Descent (and Descent: Freespace) came out in the 90s and had (marginally more) more advance physics. Because they knew they needed them. But I'd settle for something beyond "Ships travel in perfectly straight lines at a set top speed", I don't need "real world physics" in something that entirely avoids that.

Synthesis on
  • Options
    Muramasa18Muramasa18 Registered User regular
    edited February 2011
    Man I love those TNG edits. Not to derail the thread or anything, but...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=S7cXWrdHshE

So...how 'bout them lightsabers?

Muramasa18 on
  • Options
    BubbaTBubbaT Registered User regular
    edited February 2011
    Synthesis wrote: »
    chiasaur11 wrote: »
    BubbaT wrote: »
    Blah blah: plot device to explain why people don't just throw gigantic solid blocks of heavy metals at planets at lightspeed to annihilate them, because it would annihilate everything and the universe wouldn't be plausible because a whacko with a spaceship is as powerful as Moff Tarkin

I'm okay with this

Newton doesn't exist in Star Wars anyways. In TIE Fighter or any of the other Larry Holland games, when you turn off your engines in space, you come to a complete stop.

Well, yeah. He wasn't born yet.

Purely non-Newtonian physics inevitably feel wrong to me. Then again, I got into TIE Fighter because I loved flight sims. Really, any similar game would really benefit from some sense of momentum and application of other forces, rather than "Your fighter can turn in any direction without any sort of problems, only limited by turn speed".

I think it'd make for more interesting dogfighting. Force people to do something other than try and out-turn each other for ten minutes. But, that's only me. I'm sure that would piss people off as well.

I like IL-2 too, but I don't think Newtonian physics necessarily help Star Wars. I mean, look at how big the engines on a SD are, compared to an X-wing. That would mean a SD would be much faster than an X-wing in space.

BubbaT on
  • Options
    edited February 2011
    Blah blah: plot device to explain why people don't just throw gigantic solid blocks of heavy metals at planets at lightspeed to annihilate them, because it would annihilate everything and the universe wouldn't be plausible because a whacko with a spaceship is as powerful as Moff Tarkin

I'm okay with this

Newton doesn't exist in Star Wars anyways. In TIE Fighter or any of the other Larry Holland games, when you turn off your engines in space, you come to a complete stop.

Well, yeah. He wasn't born yet.

Purely non-Newtonian physics inevitably feel wrong to me. Then again, I got into TIE Fighter because I loved flight sims. Really, any similar game would really benefit from some sense of momentum and application of other forces, rather than "Your fighter can turn in any direction without any sort of problems, only limited by turn speed".

I think it'd make for more interesting dogfighting. Force people to do something other than try and out-turn each other for ten minutes. But, that's only me. I'm sure that would piss people off as well.

I like IL-2 too, but I don't think Newtonian physics necessarily help Star Wars. I mean, look at how big the engines on a SD are, compared to an X-wing. That would mean a SD would be much faster than an X-wing in space.

Except the apparent mechanics in Star Wars can be very, very easily subverted, so that's not a problem. Mass is an issue too, look how much mass an SD would have compared to an X-Wing. And then there's engine output. That will not be a problem. I haven't said I'm demanding strict Newtonian physics, since those are flat-out impossible in the setting, but really, fighter combat needs to evolve beyond "Empty space, point your fighter in any direction to go that way in a completely straight line at any time".

Honestly, apparently, a Star Destroyer can go 40% of the speed of a X-Wing anyway (something like that), if traveling in a straight line.

In-planet combat would be a completely different matter--for something like that, I'm aware that Star Wars ships have gravity-defying technology, but that doesn't mean we shouldn't have things like momentum in maneuvering or weather conditions. Likewise, in space, make it more interesting than ships that just go in the direction you point them endlessly. Why can't I slide like I see ships doing constantly in the movies? How come ship damage has no effect on maneuverability (sort of the engines just stopping completely, which rarely happens).

Ship maneuverability really should mean something besides "how fast can you turn left or right". But that's only my opinion, which is why I acknowledged purists wouldn't like it.

Synthesis on
  • Options
    Modern ManModern Man Registered User regular
    edited February 2011
    Muramasa18 wrote: »

I'm always struck by just how boring people were in TNG. It was a ship full of dorky jazz fans.

At least people in Star Wars hang out in dive bars and listen to cool jizz.

Modern Man on
    Aetian Jupiter - 41 Gunslinger - The Old Republic
    Rigorous Scholarship

• Options
    edited February 2011
    People are so much nicer in TNG.

I guess they'd have to be. They spend their careers being diligent, compassionate, and wearing pajamas.

Synthesis on
  • Options
    ForarForar #432 Toronto, Ontario, CanadaRegistered User regular
    edited February 2011
    Modern Man wrote: »
    hang out in dive bars and listen to cool jizz.

The really seedy underbelly of Mos Eisley...

Forar on
    First they came for the Muslims, and we said NOT TODAY, MOTHERFUCKER!
  • Options
    Page-Page- Registered User regular
    edited February 2011

Fix'd. If not, why not keep TIE Fighter's visuals too? Why have joystick support or better resolutions? Why bother with a new TIE Fighter at all? :P

Descent (and Descent: Freespace) came out in the 90s and had (marginally more) more advance physics. Because they knew they needed them. But I'd settle for something beyond "Ships travel in perfectly straight lines at a set top speed", I don't need "real world physics" in something that entirely avoids that.

Descent, and not Freespace, was still dominated by the strafe-movement physics of 90s fps physics, though. Which is what made it, and those other games, fun.

So, really, flying in a straight line was the slowest thing you could do.

Page- on
    Competitive Gaming and Writing Blog Updated in October: "Song (and Story) of the Day"
    Anyone want to beta read a paranormal mystery novella? Here's your chance.
    stream
  • Options
    mrt144mrt144 King of the Numbernames Registered User regular
    edited February 2011

I'm always struck by just how boring people were in TNG. It was a ship full of dorky jazz fans.

At least people in Star Wars hang out in dive bars and listen to cool jizz.

They love it when there's hot jizz within ear shot.

mrt144 on
  • Options
    Muramasa18Muramasa18 Registered User regular
    edited February 2011
    Just once I'd like to hear Papa Palpatine or Vader say "Tea. Earl Grey. Hot."

Muramasa18 on
  • Options
    chiasaur11chiasaur11 Never doubt a raccoon. Do you think it's trademarked?Registered User regular
    edited February 2011

And then force choking a guy who doesn't make it well.

And yeah, TNG is full of incredibly boring people. Really stands out in comparison to the original series, where the average Starfleet officer's interests seemed to be babes, brew, brawling (and chess).

chiasaur11 on
  • Options
    edited February 2011

And yeah, TNG is full of incredibly boring people. Really stands out in comparison to the original series, where the average Starfleet officer's interests seemed to be babes, brew, brawling (and chess).
    60's Star Trek was a lot like NASA of the 60's- a bunch of smart, hard-partying guys. Astronauts back then were like brainy rockstars.

TNG was like NASA of the 90's- boring, overly-bureaucratic and completely devoid of risk-taking or sexiness. I mean, Troi was the show's sex appeal.

Modern Man on
    Rigorous Scholarship

• Options
    chiasaur11chiasaur11 Never doubt a raccoon. Do you think it's trademarked?Registered User regular
    edited February 2011

60's Star Trek was a lot like NASA of the 60's- a bunch of smart, hard-partying guys. Astronauts back then were like brainy rockstars.

TNG was like NASA of the 90's- boring, overly-bureaucratic and completely devoid of risk-taking or sexiness. I mean, Troi was the show's sex appeal.

Does Deep Space 9 mean the NASA of the future is running morally ambiguous military operations?

Because that would be cool.

chiasaur11 on
  • Options
    edited February 2011
    Does Deep Space 9 mean the NASA of the future is running morally ambiguous military operations?

Because that would be cool.
    Maybe. We've apparently already invaded a planet that looks a lot like Dagobah.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=izYAn7XDFys&feature=related

Modern Man on
    Rigorous Scholarship

• Options
    edited February 2011

Descent, and not Freespace, was still dominated by the strafe-movement physics of 90s fps physics, though. Which is what made it, and those other games, fun.

So, really, flying in a straight line was the slowest thing you could do.

And X-Wing and TIE Fighter have no form of strafing or sliding. Descent would have, obviously, sucked without that feature, and TIE Fighter could benefit from that small step, even if it is faster paced.

Synthesis on
  • Options
    L Ron HowardL Ron Howard The duck MinnesotaRegistered User regular
    edited February 2011
    There was a game that I saw that was trying to basically create Descent/X-Wing in Newtonian space using as close to real physics as possible.

IIRC, it was abandoned because there is no way to control it well enough. Even if you have two joysticks, one for pitch and yaw and the other for slewing, you're still missing thrust from the main engine (in the back) and rotation. Not to mention if you add things such as different weapons and weapon configurations/hardpoints, shield options, sensor configurations, etc.

It was also abandoned because it was boring as hell. In even small to medium sized maps, you end up playing a space version of a submarine simulator, making ever-so-minute adjustments and watching your sensor trying to find the other guy hoping he won't see you; hoping you run into/see him first. But the second you did anything to engage him, he saw you. Basically, you'd float around for a really stupid long time, and then the game would be over and both players would be dead.

I can't remember the name at the moment, and I don't really care to go look it up, because it just wasn't fun.

I don't think it made it out of the beta phase.

L Ron Howard on
  • Options
    edited February 2011
    Basically any attempt to change Star Wars from "WWII naval battles in space" to "actual space combat" would pretty much wreck everything.

Look at a Star Destroyer. I think it's one of the coolest looking SW spaceships, but it makes no sense as a combat SPACEship. The vast majority of the guns are topside. That's good if you're a warship on Earth being attacked by dive bombers, but in space you can be attacked from any side. There's almost no defenses on the SD's belly.

Battles would be confusing messes, because there'd be no need for all the ships to align along the same plane. Half the ships might be upside down - assuming one can even define which direction is "up" in space.

You wouldn't even have anything recognizable as a dogfight. Ships don't need to bank in space. The space shuttle doesn't bank, it has booster jets on its sides that fire when it wants to move laterally.

You'd have no sound of screaming TIE engines, or lasers being fired. Explosions would be tiny, as there is only the tiny amount of oxygen in the fighter to sustain them. Ships with engines running should be constantly accelerating, instead we have constant thrust = constant velocity.

BubbaT on
  • Options
    LanlaornLanlaorn Registered User regular
    edited February 2011
    You definitely can do Newtonian physics simply, there was a BSG mod for Freespace 2 that I checked out which did exactly that. You don't even need one joystick lol.

I love shows with real spaceship physics. I'm cool with FTL and artifical gravity, etc. but everything else should be as "hard" as possible. BSG fighter battles and strafing runs were far more enjoyable than Star Wars ones IMO.

Lanlaorn on
  • Options
    edited February 2011
    You'd have to do away with the Force as well, which is basically, let's face it, magic that a wizard did. If sound can't travel through empty vacuum, telepathic brain waves can't. If they existed.

It would pretty much remove a lot of stuff from those movies.

Synthesis on
  • Options
    KlashKlash Lost... ... in the rainRegistered User regular
    edited February 2011
    Basically any attempt to change Star Wars from "WWII naval battles in space" to "actual space combat" would pretty much wreck everything.

Look at a Star Destroyer. I think it's one of the coolest looking SW spaceships, but it makes no sense as a combat SPACEship. The vast majority of the guns are topside. That's good if you're a warship on Earth being attacked by dive bombers, but in space you can be attacked from any side. There's almost no defenses on the SD's belly.

Battles would be confusing messes, because there'd be no need for all the ships to align along the same plane. Half the ships might be upside down - assuming one can even define which direction is "up" in space.

You wouldn't even have anything recognizable as a dogfight. Ships don't need to bank in space. The space shuttle doesn't bank, it has booster jets on its sides that fire when it wants to move laterally.

You'd have no sound of screaming TIE engines, or lasers being fired. Explosions would be tiny, as there is only the tiny amount of oxygen in the fighter to sustain them. Ships with engines running should be constantly accelerating, instead we have constant thrust = constant velocity.

The bolded drives me crazy in every sci-fi universe. I mean, it just... space is huge, and I... What? you blockaded them? Huh? Space borders? What? I can't wrap my head around concepts that involve an infinitely expanding void.

That said, I can't name anything I love more than how space fights are portrayed in Star Wars, anyways. Just dog fightin' with lasers and pewpewpew all over. I can push past the logic-disconnect for the sake of "HOLY CRAP, LASER-SUPER-DEATH-RAY-ENGINES WITH MEGA-ZAPPING-STUFF!"

I guess what I'm saying is I love Star Destroyers. Things are just the greatest. This is why Empire at War is one of the best things the Star Wars EU has given its fans. It could benefit from a Y-axis or something, and not being so God damned ugly, but targetting a space-fish-cruiser and bustin' their engines, then tractoring them and letting some bounty hunters rip 'em up is the best RTS experience I've ever had. Still waiting for "Star Wars: Total War in Space, Now with More Pews".

Klash on
    We don't even care... whether we care or not...
  • Options
    edited February 2011
    Lanlaorn wrote: »
    You definitely can do Newtonian physics simply, there was a BSG mod for Freespace 2 that I checked out which did exactly that. You don't even need one joystick lol.

I love shows with real spaceship physics. I'm cool with FTL and artifical gravity, etc. but everything else should be as "hard" as possible. BSG fighter battles and strafing runs were far more enjoyable than Star Wars ones IMO.

How good a fight is, whether between spaceships or people, has more to do with choreography and cinematography than physics. The opening scene in Ep3 could have had 100% perfect Newtonian physics and it still would've sucked because there was so much crap on the screen no one could tell what was even going on.

Ep4 Battle of Yavin + wacky movie physics > Ep3 Battle of whatever + 100% perfect physics.

BubbaT on
  • Options
    edited February 2011
    You'd have to do away with the Force as well, which is basically, let's face it, magic that a wizard did. If sound can't travel through empty vacuum, telepathic brain waves can't. If they existed.

It would pretty much remove a lot of stuff from those movies.

Honestly I'm cool with Space Wizards, I just can't stand space friction and space 2D nonsense.

Babylon 5 starfighters obeyed Newtonian physics and they had psychics. The concepts aren't mutually exclusive.

Lanlaorn on
  • Options
    HamHamJHamHamJ Registered User regular
    edited February 2011
    Babylon 5 followed proper physics in space and the space battles were great.

There is nothing inherently boring about using proper physics.

HamHamJ on
    While racing light mechs, your Urbanmech comes in second place, but only because it ran out of ammo.
  • Options
    edited February 2011
    Seems like as good a time as any to ask--anyone care to recommend any Empire or War (or expansion) mods?

I'm mostly looking for mods with really big character rosters, mods that include major visual upgrades (Thrawn's Revenge or the FX Mods are examples) or mods that really expand the scale of the battles and galaxy to actually fit Star Wars. Anyone found one they like?

Synthesis on
  • Options
    CadeCade Eppur si muove.Registered User regular
    edited February 2011
    Angry Video Game Nerd reviews Star War games.

Vader turns into a scorpion.

Bet you didn't see THAT in the special editions.

Cade on
  • Options
    AspectVoidAspectVoid Registered User regular
    edited February 2011
    Klash wrote: »

The bolded drives me crazy in every sci-fi universe. I mean, it just... space is huge, and I... What? you blockaded them? Huh? Space borders? What? I can't wrap my head around concepts that involve an infinitely expanding void.

Actually, Star Wars has this explained in a variety of EU books. The Star Wars galaxy is extremely hazardous. The only way to safely travel through it in hyperspace is along very specific and mapped out Hyperspace Lanes, that are known to be free of obstruction. Even the slightest miscalculation could send you jumping into a star or something.

Therefore, to blockade a system in Star Wars, you simply need to block the small Hyperspace Lanes that leads to and from that system. The Empire does this by sticking an Interdictor cruiser and some support vessels in the middle of the Hyperspace Lane. The Interdictor creates a Gravity well inside the Hyperspace Lane, which forces any ship out of Hyperspace, at which point they open fire and destroy said vessel. While you won't stop everything, you'll probably stop a good 99% of the traffic in and out of a system. If you keep more ships inside the system, you can clean up the rest of the traffic that avoids the Hyperspace Lanes.

AspectVoid on
    PSN|AspectVoid
  • Options
    edited February 2011
    AspectVoid wrote: »
    Klash wrote: »

Actually, Star Wars has this explained in a variety of EU books. The Star Wars galaxy is extremely hazardous. The only way to safely travel through it in hyperspace is along very specific and mapped out Hyperspace Lanes, that are known to be free of obstruction. Even the slightest miscalculation could send you jumping into a star or something.

Therefore, to blockade a system in Star Wars, you simply need to block the small Hyperspace Lanes that leads to and from that system. The Empire does this by sticking an Interdictor cruiser and some support vessels in the middle of the Hyperspace Lane. The Interdictor creates a Gravity well inside the Hyperspace Lane, which forces any ship out of Hyperspace, at which point they open fire and destroy said vessel. While you won't stop everything, you'll probably stop a good 99% of the traffic in and out of a system. If you keep more ships inside the system, you can clean up the rest of the traffic that avoids the Hyperspace Lanes.

Except Solo.

Solo is probably the bane of Imperial traffic cops, moonshine regulators, and similar the galaxy over.

chiasaur11 on
  • Options
    edited February 2011
    I don't know if there's really only a certain number of hyperspace routes that exist, as opposed to there only being a certain number that have been charted and are regarded as safe. If you're on top of a mountain, you can ski down whatever side of it you want, but I'd recommend taking the designated route.

HamHamJ wrote: »

There's nothing inherently entertaining about using proper physics either.

BubbaT on
  • Options
    edited February 2011
    That's about it. It's rarely touched upon, but someone actually has to blindly explore new hyperspace routes. Well, not blindly, but they have to make calculations and guesses on things that aren't certain, and if they make a mistake they're dead.

Page- on
    Competitive Gaming and Writing Blog Updated in October: "Song (and Story) of the Day"
    stream
  • Options
    KlashKlash Lost... ... in the rainRegistered User regular
    edited February 2011
    AspectVoid wrote: »

Right, a wizard did it. I know. :P

Like I said, despite sci-fi being completely bonkers with its science, its just so cool, I couldn't care less. I'll take turbo lasers and hyperdrive over real science any day.

Klash on
    We don't even care... whether we care or not...
  • Options
    XandarXandar Registered User regular
    edited February 2011
    HamHamJ wrote: »

Watching the fights on TV was cool, but I'm not so sure about the implementation in games. There is a game where you pilot a starfury: Baylon 5: I Found Her I never got very far with it, but I was also without a flightstick so....

Point being, while watching the combat may be fun and interesting, can you translate that into a game well? Not sure it has been accomplished as yet. :(

May have to DL and try B5 again now that I have a working stick...

Xandar on
    OsokC8u.png
  • Options
    edited February 2011
    I think the project is defunct now, but IIRC the Freespace 2 Mod "Beyond the Red Line" was a full conversion Battlestar Galactica mod where you fly a viper with newtonian physics.

I remember trying the demo and doing just fine with mouse + keyboard, if it still exists you could give that a shot.

Lanlaorn on
  • Options
    see317see317 Registered User regular
    edited February 2011
    ...Look at a Star Destroyer. I think it's one of the coolest looking SW spaceships, but it makes no sense as a combat SPACEship. The vast majority of the guns are topside. That's good if you're a warship on Earth being attacked by dive bombers, but in space you can be attacked from any side. There's almost no defenses on the SD's belly...

It makes some sense though, if you're following the "Best defense is a good offense" strategy.
    Assuming you have a limited amount of power for your weapon systems, concentrating them all in the same facing seems logical. As you said, it's space. You should be able to point your weapon side at a target with relatively little trouble assuming you're facing a big ship. This would give you a big concentrated punch to quickly take out a target.

You'd still want to give some defenses to cover the rest of the ship from fighters long enough for it to roll or rotate to bring the big guns to bear then blow the hell out of a big attacker.

The alternative, evenly distributing your weapons to give you a medium punch on all facings, would likely lead to much longer drawn out combats since you wouldn't be able to take down a target nearly as quickly if you can only focus a quarter of your guns on them at a time.

see317 on
  • Options
    edited February 2011
    Star Wars navel battles involve a whole lot of rolling and frontage management. They're a lot like oldschool navel battles for that, except with huge lasers instead of cannons.

Page- on
    stream
  • Options
    ThirithThirith Registered User regular
    edited February 2011
    Do navel battles involve Rouge Squadron? :wink:

Thirith on
    webp-net-resizeimage.jpg
    "Nothing is gonna save us forever but a lot of things can save us today." - Night in the Woods
  • Options
    edited February 2011
    Well, in reality you'd probably just use missiles. But assuming turret based weapons are awesome in the setting (and turbo-lasers aren't actually lasers so much as plasma bolts that result in giga-ton detonations, seriously they numbers they picked are absurd) you'd probably want to array them at the very top and bottom of your ship and just rotate to broadside the enemy.

Remember each shot has momentum and will rotate your ship, if you place the turrets in a diametrically opposed arrangement then the forces cancel out.

Lanlaorn on
  • Options
    edited February 2011
    They do use a lot of missiles, but in the Star Wars universe missile countermeasures are strong enough to keep things evened out.

All Star Wars spaceships are also equipped with systems that automatically dampen or negate the effects of recoil, inertia, acceleration, and just about anything else that would prevent a smooth ride. Of course, they can all be tweaked, as demonstrated by Porkins in the EU canon.

Page- on
    stream
  • Options
    edited February 2011
    What's really bad design though is having an external bridge, with windows no less. Everyone loves the way battleships and aircraft carriers look with that tower in the center, but even they have a Bridge where the guy drives the boat and then a CIC deep in the middle of the ship where people actually get all their data and give orders and whatever.

Lanlaorn on
  • Options
    L Ron HowardL Ron Howard The duck MinnesotaRegistered User regular
    edited February 2011
    It really is such a shame that when they designed the ships that they were thinking of how well such a thing would function in space as opposed to what would make it look cool in a movie...

L Ron Howard on
  • Options
    DacDac Registered User regular
    edited February 2011
    Archonex wrote: »
    The guy actually understood the concepts of racial equality (He wasn't human.), was a good boss (When someone fucked up, rather then force choke them, he listened to what they did, and realized that they had done everything possible to stop a crucial flaw in a system. He then promoted the guy to fix the issue. Turns out, he did, because the next time the flaw was exploited by the Republic, it nearly lead to the crew of the Falcon getting killed.) that didn't kill his troops, and had the un-matched loyalty of everyone that worked underneath him (See: Being a good boss.).

Late on this, but Thrawn has his personal bodyguard, Rukh, kill one of the personnel on the bridge of the Chimera because the guy fucked up on a ... I think tractor beam that the heroes had managed to escape via some space chicanery.

Admittedly, the man tried to explain that it wasn't his fault because he had never been trained in how to counter it (trying to pass blame to your trainer is not classy), but having your bodyguard slaughter him (in what was hinted to be a very unpleasant way) right in front of everyone is the kind of thing Vader would do.

It stood out, really, because Thrawn doesn't seem like that kind of character. He doesn't like wasting resources; I would've expected him to bust the man back down to private, or maybe put him on some other menial duty.

I guess he needed to make an example out of him? I don't know; I guess that's possible. I think Zahn went out of his way on it, though, because he wanted to establish Thrawn as a Bad Guy. It was still early in the first book of the Thrawn Trilogy, and I don't think his character had been fully established yet.

Dac on
    Steam: catseye543
    PSN: ShogunGunshow
    Origin: ShogunGunshow