Options

[Space Wars] The Next Generation

• Options
    ForarForar #432 Toronto, Ontario, CanadaRegistered User regular
    edited February 2011
    Which Battletech novels, out of curiosity?

I really liked the saga of the Gray Death Legion, but most of the other ones I read were varying levels of crappiness. Especially the Clan Circle Jerking that seemed to go on for ages.

Forar on
    First they came for the Muslims, and we said NOT TODAY, MOTHERFUCKER!
  • Options
    EddEdd Registered User regular
    edited February 2011
    I actually get pretty upset when I think of Star Wars post Thrawn, and it's mostly out of sympathy for the main characters. How much epic shit can happen to three people in one lifetime? Am I wrong in believing that this galaxy is simultaneously the most exciting and worst place in the entire universe?

I sort of wish the series was more willing to let the old guard retire in peace before perhaps jetting ahead (or back) a few hundred/thousand years to tell a new story with new people somewhere else in this very big but rarely explored galaxy.

I mean, Legacy sort of did, but it's largely a reiteration of the same tropes we already know. Luke shows up for fuck's sake.

Edd on
  • Options
    LibrarianThorneLibrarianThorne Registered User regular
    edited February 2011
    Edd wrote: »
    I actually get pretty upset when I think of Star Wars post Thrawn, and it's mostly out of sympathy for the main characters. How much epic shit can happen to three people in one lifetime? Am I wrong in believing that this galaxy is simultaneously the most exciting and worst place in the entire universe?

I sort of wish the series was more willing to let the old guard retire in peace before perhaps jetting ahead (or back) a few hundred/thousand years to tell a new story with new people somewhere else in this very big but rarely explored galaxy.

I mean, Legacy sort of did, but it's largely a reiteration of the same tropes we already know. Luke shows up for fuck's sake.

I mean yes, but on the other hand ForceGhost!Luke is also shown to be pretty ineffectual. The politicking that occurrs throughout Legacy is also of a different caliber than what's occurred in the post-Thrawn EU, and handled much better (don't even get me started on NJO and the clusterfuck since...).

I really like Legacy for throwing a spanner in the setting by having a Skywalker be totally reluctant to get about saving the galaxy. It also feels much more true to the spirit of the Original Trilogy, and a lot of the grittiness in Legacy calls back to that.

I am desperately saddened that they ended Legacy at #50 and are wrapping up the series in a 6 issue miniseries. That's pretty lame, in my book.

LibrarianThorne on
  • Options
    CadeCade Eppur si muove.Registered User regular
    edited February 2011
    What as their reasoning for wrapping it up anyways, far as I knew not only was it the most popular Star Wars comic out there but it was Dark Horses best selling book.

Only thing I can think of is that they figured it had run it's course and decided to end it instead of drawing it out endlessly.

Cade on
  • Options
    LanlaornLanlaorn Registered User regular
    edited February 2011
    Forar wrote: »
    Which Battletech novels, out of curiosity?

I really liked the saga of the Gray Death Legion, but most of the other ones I read were varying levels of crappiness. Especially the Clan Circle Jerking that seemed to go on for ages.

I stopped reading at this point but my understanding is that it got much, much worse after the whole clans thing was resolved. Apparently, a cult within ComStar takes over and crashes the HPG network, the whole Inner Sphere collapses and there's like this new Dark Age. Sounds pretty terrible, I've never bothered to look into the details.

But in the sense of camraderie I, too, read the hell out of Battletech novels at the same time I was reading Star Wars novels. For the same reasons too, both settings were just fun as hell, it was basically daydreaming fuel.

I wish there were good novels in those settings. Or really, any big name setting that gets franchised out. I just can't stomach terrible writing as the price for a story set in a certain universe any more, even my middle school self could see the difference in quality between Asimov, Herbert, et al and the writers they'd get for Star Wars stuff. By now I've simply lost my tolerance for it =/

Lanlaorn on
  • Options
    ArchonexArchonex No hard feelings, right? Registered User regular
    edited February 2011
    Edd wrote: »

I mean yes, but on the other hand ForceGhost!Luke is also shown to be pretty ineffectual. The politicking that occurrs throughout Legacy is also of a different caliber than what's occurred in the post-Thrawn EU, and handled much better (don't even get me started on NJO and the clusterfuck since...).

I really like Legacy for throwing a spanner in the setting by having a Skywalker be totally reluctant to get about saving the galaxy. It also feels much more true to the spirit of the Original Trilogy, and a lot of the grittiness in Legacy calls back to that.

I am desperately saddened that they ended Legacy at #50 and are wrapping up the series in a 6 issue miniseries. That's pretty lame, in my book.

Before Fate, Legacy was probably the only good thing in the EU that was ongoing/wasn't ancient.

Which makes it even more of a travesty.

There's no way they're going to finish all the plot lines sufficiently in time, either.

Archonex on
  • Options
    SynthesisSynthesis Honda Today! Registered User regular
    edited February 2011
    And it had to be a Skywalker.

God help you if you're related to someone important in Star Wars. God help you even more if you're not, and need to get something done.

Synthesis on
  • Options
    edited February 2011
    Synthesis wrote: »
    And it had to be a Skywalker.

God help you if you're related to someone important in Star Wars. God help you even more if you're not, and need to get something done.

Except Cade is pretty fucking useless, all things considered.

It took the combined forces of Luke, Mara, and eventually Vader himself rising from the dead temporarily to get him to do more then binge on drugs.

And even then, he didn't really do anything useful other then make the main bad guys look like tools. Which in a time of war may be good for propaganda, but not much for actually winning it. Though it's obvious they were going somewhere interesting with the Cade storyline before the series got pre-emptively shit-canned for being good in a time when the EU was godawful.

He was one of the only characters in the EU who was so flippant about the whole "dark side" "light side" thing, that he could tap into both sides creatively. Case in point. Him force lightning a guy to life.

If you want to talk about lineage, and useful characters, though. Jagged Fel and the Solo's are where to look. Fate, and the accompanying series set it up, but it's clear that Jaina and him go off to make the Imperial Knights at some point, and the Fels keep ruling until Legacy, at least. One of the main imperial characters is a descendant of Fel himself.

Other then that, Legacy is pretty much free of pre-existing EU characters.

Archonex on
  • Options
    reVersereVerse Attack and Dethrone God Registered User regular
    edited February 2011
    Archonex wrote: »
    Vader himself rising from the dead temporarily

Oh goddamnit.

reVerse on
  • Options
    South hostSouth host I obey without question Registered User regular
    edited February 2011
    Well, Force Ghosts are an actual thing. If it was only a ghost, it's not that bad.

South host on
    Hope is the first step on the road to disappointment.
  • Options
    HamHamJHamHamJ Registered User regular
    edited February 2011
    What is wrong with you people.

Legacy is terrible.

The first trade paper back is probably the worst Star Wars comic I have ever read. The plot makes no sense, the "action" is static and lifeless, the characters are unlikeable, and it is just the usual EU retreading of the same old ideas with no originality.

HamHamJ on
    While racing light mechs, your Urbanmech comes in second place, but only because it ran out of ammo.
  • Options
    edited February 2011
    reVerse wrote: »

Oh goddamnit.

It's not the how it sounds.

Mara's force ghost does this weird shape-change thing to turn into Vader for a few panels, to scare the shit out of Cade.

Ultimately, threatening him with going down the same path as Vader is what pulls Cade out of his despair induced drug binge long enough to get involved in more important things. Not appealing to his sense of decency. Which further serves to emphasize what a shit-heel he is.

Archonex on
  • Options
    LibrarianThorneLibrarianThorne Registered User regular
    edited February 2011
    reVerse wrote: »

Oh goddamnit.

It's not the how it sounds.

Mara's force ghost does this weird shape-change thing to turn into Vader for a few panels, to scare the shit out of Cade.

Ultimately, threatening him with going down the same path as Vader is what pulls Cade out of his despair induced drug binge long enough to get involved in more important things. Not appealing to his sense of decency. Which further serves to emphasize what a shit-heel he is.

Man, I love Cade's shitheel-ness though. He's all the wrong parts of Han Solo gin'd up with the power of a Skywalker and he's exactly as bad an idea as that sounds. The exasperation the Jedi at Cade's sheer uselessness is pretty great. Jariah Syn is a pretty great character in his own right, as well, and plays excellently off of Cade.

LibrarianThorne on
  • Options
    edited February 2011
    If you want to talk about lineage, and useful characters, though. Jagged Fel and the Solo's are where to look. Fate, and the accompanying series set it up, but it's clear that Jaina and him go off to make the Imperial Knights at some point, and the Fels keep ruling until Legacy, at least. One of the main imperial characters is a descendant of Fel himself.

That's pretty disappointing as well. But hereditary succession is pretty much the definition of a 'dynasty', so I don't see how you'd do it otherwise, if that was the goal.

I stand by my statement. There is no escaping having famous parents.

Synthesis on
  • Options
    reVersereVerse Attack and Dethrone God Registered User regular
    edited February 2011
    The idea of the ghost of Darth Vader going around doing interventions is hilarious and horrible. I'm imagining it as a Star Wars version of Touched by an Angel.

reVerse on
  • Options
    devCharlesdevCharles Gainesville, FLRegistered User regular
    edited February 2011
    BubbaT wrote: »
    Mandos in the movies are hilariously incompetent. I have no idea how they suddenly got turned into super-badasses by anyone. Someone should write a book that has Jar Jar being this secret super awesome assassin who mows down armies of Jedi single-handedly - even though in the movies he couldn't make it 3 steps without stepping in poop.

Personally, I find Mandos way more interesting as a result of the KOTOR books more than anything else. All those mandos pretty much got wiped out by a pissed off Jedi though.

devCharles on
    Xbox Live: Hero Protag
    SteamID: devCharles
    twitter: https://twitter.com/charlesewise
  • Options
    GaryOGaryO Registered User regular
    edited February 2011
    devCharles wrote: »
    Mandos in the movies are hilariously incompetent. I have no idea how they suddenly got turned into super-badasses by anyone. Someone should write a book that has Jar Jar being this secret super awesome assassin who mows down armies of Jedi single-handedly - even though in the movies he couldn't make it 3 steps without stepping in poop.

Personally, I find Mandos way more interesting as a result of the KOTOR books more than anything else. All those mandos pretty much got wiped out by a pissed off Jedi though.

Back in the day Mandolorians were extinct. I think it was in the Star wars magazine they did in the early 90's had a feature on Boba Fett where it said he was wearing one of (if not) the last suits of Mandalorian Battle armour left in the galaxy because the Jedi wiped them out. Now of course there is millions of the damm mary sues and Boba Fett is less cool than an Ewok.

GaryO on
  • Options
    BubbaTBubbaT Registered User regular
    edited February 2011
    EDIT: Also, I'd like to join in on the KJA hate-train that comes about periodically. The destruction of the Knight Hammer? Most goddamn stupid thing I'd read for as much as two years after reading it. And that streak was only broken because I'm a damn fool and read some Battletech novels. That being said, I probably avoided some other really stupid stuff too.

Picking just one stupidest thing out of that book is impossible.

Daala stuns Callista, then walks off instead of taking the extra 2 seconds to switch her blaster back to "kill" and finish the job.

BubbaT on
  • Options
    L Ron HowardL Ron Howard The duck MinnesotaRegistered User regular
    edited February 2011
    GaryO wrote: »
    Back in the day Mandolorians were extinct. I think it was in the Star wars magazine they did in the early 90's had a feature on Boba Fett where it said he was wearing one of (if not) the last suits of Mandalorian Battle armour left in the galaxy because the Jedi wiped them out. Now of course there is millions of the damm mary sues and Boba Fett is less cool than an Ewok.

I remember reading such a thing too. I don't know exactly where Fett became a Mando, or whatever.

L Ron Howard on
  • Options
    edited February 2011
    EDIT: Also, I'd like to join in on the KJA hate-train that comes about periodically. The destruction of the Knight Hammer? Most goddamn stupid thing I'd read for as much as two years after reading it. And that streak was only broken because I'm a damn fool and read some Battletech novels. That being said, I probably avoided some other really stupid stuff too.

Picking just one stupidest thing out of that book is impossible.

Daala stuns Callista, then walks off instead of taking the extra 2 seconds to switch her blaster back to "kill" and finish the job.

Madine dying, though? Entirely appropriate, and rather needed in the setting.

"My God! People die in war? Commandos in particular? Especially foolish, middle-aged ones? Does Luke know about this?"

Synthesis on
  • Options
    President RexPresident Rex Registered User regular
    edited February 2011
    Nobody dies or bleeds in Star Wars. Their wounds are painlessly cauterized and then they're later revived and any body parts that happen to be missing get mechanical replacements. The force and censors will it.

President Rex on
  • Options
    GaryOGaryO Registered User regular
    edited February 2011
    Well Anakin Solo basically bleeds to death from a gut wound though

GaryO on
  • Options
    see317see317 Registered User regular
    edited February 2011
    Well Anakin Solo basically bleeds to death from a gut wound though

He doesn't count, he never had an action figure.

see317 on
  • Options
    edited February 2011

I remember reading such a thing too. I don't know exactly where Fett became a Mando, or whatever.

Some time after the Tales of the Bounty Hunter book was originally written. I remember reading that, and he was just some guy with a chip on his shoulder, among other things.

Synthesis on
  • Options
    Page-Page- Registered User regular
    edited February 2011
    Before the PT Fett was left alone, to be mysterious.

There are really 2 instances that stand out for the retconing. First, there was a DH comic in which Fett had to chase down and kill a guy who was posing as him. The only reason someone could pose as Fett was that his armour was completely unique, a one-of-a-kind relic that he acquired from a lost age. If you have Mandos running around, or even the idea of Mandos still fresh, that doesn't work. In the end, Fett has to take off his armour and pose as a client to lure the imposter into a trap -- he can do that because nobody knows what Fett looks like.

The 2nd instance is from the Tales of the Bounty Hunters book, where Fett is finally revealed to be an ex-cop with a bad attitude and a hate-on (that eventually turns into a rivalry) for Solo. Of course, at the end of that story Fett is presumed dead, which is the only reason his sudden reappearance way, way later in the timeline is a surprise.

Mandos are dumb.

Page- on
    Competitive Gaming and Writing Blog Updated in October: "Song (and Story) of the Day"
    Anyone want to beta read a paranormal mystery novella? Here's your chance.
    stream
  • Options
    FremanFreman Registered User regular
    edited February 2011
    That is the thing that annoys me most about the Star Wars Universe. It is a galaxy full of planets and untold trillions of lifeforms, but it is the same people and same planets that everything happens to. It was one of the problems of the prequels, everyone from the original trilogy had to make an appearance somewhere. Why did Boba Fett have to be the clone of the last of a dead warrior race (who weren't actually dead, by the way) and not just a badass hit man? The Wookie General in episode 3 had to be Chewbacca. The only people who can accomplish anything have the last name Solo or Skywalker?

Freman on
  • Options
    CouscousCouscous Registered User regular
    edited February 2011
    They forgot to put in Han Solo in the prequels.

Couscous on
  • Options
    Page-Page- Registered User regular
    edited February 2011
    Plenty of non Solos or Skywalkers have accomplished in the Star Wars universe.

And there was (and still is, to a lesser degree) a theme of destiny and fate to it all. The will of the Force. And even without that, it makes sense for the Solos and Skywalkers to be on top after the movies, since Force potential is hereditary, and they're pretty much the last continuous Force-strong bloodline around.

Page- on
    Competitive Gaming and Writing Blog Updated in October: "Song (and Story) of the Day"
    Anyone want to beta read a paranormal mystery novella? Here's your chance.
    stream
  • Options
    CadeCade Eppur si muove.Registered User regular
    edited February 2011
    Couscous wrote: »

They almost did.

He was going to be a boy and he was going to go adventuring with Yoda more or less as he went about doing his thing. There is some artwork out there of him.

Cade on
  • Options
    edited February 2011
    Freman wrote: »
    That is the thing that annoys me most about the Star Wars Universe. It is a galaxy full of planets and untold trillions of lifeforms, but it is the same people and same planets that everything happens to. It was one of the problems of the prequels, everyone from the original trilogy had to make an appearance somewhere. Why did Boba Fett have to be the clone of the last of a dead warrior race (who weren't actually dead, by the way) and not just a badass hit man? The Wookie General in episode 3 had to be Chewbacca. The only people who can do accomplish have the last name Solo or Skywalker?

Pretty much. You might know them by the name they take later, "Jedi".

It's very disheartening.

Synthesis on
  • Options
    chiasaur11chiasaur11 Never doubt a raccoon. Do you think it's trademarked?Registered User regular
    edited February 2011
    Cade wrote: »

They almost did.

He was going to be a boy and he was going to go adventuring with Yoda more or less as he went about doing his thing. There is some artwork out there of him.

And it would have been the worst thing.

chiasaur11 on
  • Options
    CouscousCouscous Registered User regular
    edited February 2011

They almost did.

That would completely clash with his lack of belief in the force in the OT.

Couscous on
  • Options
    ThirithThirith Registered User regular
    edited February 2011
    I just watched the last two episodes of Clone Wars. They're my first CW ever, so that may be to blame, but I found the episodes po-faced, ponderous and far from engaging, added to which I'm not a big fan of the character animation. Does the series pack more of a punch if you've been following the character arcs more closely?

Thirith on
    webp-net-resizeimage.jpg
    "Nothing is gonna save us forever but a lot of things can save us today." - Night in the Woods
  • Options
    devCharlesdevCharles Gainesville, FLRegistered User regular
    edited February 2011

They almost did.

That would completely clash with his lack of belief in the force in the OT.

Which makes it even more surprising it wasn't in the prequels.

devCharles on
    Xbox Live: Hero Protag
    SteamID: devCharles
    twitter: https://twitter.com/charlesewise
  • Options
    edited February 2011
    Thirith wrote: »
    I just watched the last two episodes of Clone Wars. They're my first CW ever, so that may be to blame, but I found the episodes po-faced, ponderous and far from engaging, added to which I'm not a big fan of the character animation. Does the series pack more of a punch if you've been following the character arcs more closely?

There are two Clone Wars series, Samurai Jack style and CGI style.

I can't stand CGI style, but Samurai Jack style is pretty awesome.

Lanlaorn on
  • Options
    edited February 2011
    chiasaur11 wrote: »

They almost did.

Instruct young Solo how to convert units of distance into units of time, I must.

BubbaT on
  • Options
    ThirithThirith Registered User regular
    edited February 2011
    Lanlaorn wrote: »
    Thirith wrote: »

There are two Clone Wars series, Samurai Jack style and CGI style.

I can't stand CGI style, but Samurai Jack style is pretty awesome.
    I've seen, enjoyed but (to be honest) forgotten the cel shaded Clone Wars. It's what I believe are the two most recent episodes of the CGI one that I've now watched.

Thirith on
    webp-net-resizeimage.jpg
    "Nothing is gonna save us forever but a lot of things can save us today." - Night in the Woods
  • Options
    President RexPresident Rex Registered User regular
    edited February 2011

They almost did.

Instruct young Solo how to convert units of distance into units of time, I must.

It probably was an egregious mistake (just like the Luke/Leia kiss), but the explanation I've heard is that giving the Kessel Run in parsecs implies that Solo lived dangerously by shortening the hyperspace routes between points. E.g. "most people have to take the safe route that's [x] parsecs long, I cut corners on the route and go [x] parsecs!"

Just from Occam's razor alone it's more likely that Lucas probably didn't realize it wasn't a measure of time.

President Rex on
  • Options
    edited February 2011

They almost did.

It probably was an egregious mistake (just like the Luke/Leia kiss), but the explanation I've heard is that giving the Kessel Run in parsecs implies that Solo lived dangerously by shortening the hyperspace routes between points. E.g. "most people have to take the safe route that's [x] parsecs long, I cut corners on the route and go [x] parsecs!"

Just from Occam's razor alone it's more likely that Lucas probably didn't realize it wasn't a measure of time.

The Luke-Leia kiss doesn't bug me on a plot level, they didn't know at the time. Other than the ick factor, it's no different than Luke trying to kill Vader on Bespin, before he knew Vader was his dad.

Yeah, I know the parsec explanation. I think it's a pretty ingenious explanation, considering what AC Crispin had to work with. I mean, she was dealing with a factual problem, she couldn't just explain it away with an "a certain point of view" re-imagining. She even managed to make KJA's retarded "Maw black hole cluster" idea useful for something.

On a side note, I also like Crispin's Han Solo trilogy as a veiled shitting-on of the Jedi. With the t'landa Til we have another religion that enslaves people and forbids any kind of bonding relationship with other people. They also have psychic powers, but instead of getting them from The Force, they get them by doing drugs.

And only by escaping that influence does Crispin's Bria Tharen become of any use to the galaxy. She limits contact with her family, but does so to keep them safe, not because "OMG having a family leads to the Dark Side!" Oh, and she actually frees slaves, instead of giving a Jedi-esque "Eh, not my problem - even though I'm this supposed guardian of all that is light and good and just."

You know, if you actually played KOTOR while making decisions similar to what actual Jedi did, you'd probably end up Dark Side.

BubbaT on
  • Options
    edited February 2011

They almost did.

The Luke-Leia kiss doesn't bug me on a plot level, they didn't know at the time. Other than the ick factor, it's no different than Luke trying to kill Vader on Bespin, before he knew Vader was his dad.

Yeah, I know the parsec explanation. I think it's a pretty ingenious explanation, considering what AC Crispin had to work with. I mean, she was dealing with a factual problem, she couldn't just explain it away with an "a certain point of view" re-imagining. She even managed to make KJA's retarded "Maw black hole cluster" idea useful for something.

On a side note, I also like Crispin's Han Solo trilogy as a veiled shitting-on of the Jedi. With the t'landa Til we have another religion that enslaves people and forbids any kind of bonding relationship with other people. They also have psychic powers, but instead of getting them from The Force, they get them by doing drugs.

And only by escaping that influence does Crispin's Bria Tharen become of any use to the galaxy. She limits contact with her family, but does so to keep them safe, not because "OMG having a family leads to the Dark Side!" Oh, and she actually frees slaves, instead of giving a Jedi-esque "Eh, not my problem - even though I'm this supposed guardian of all that is light and good and just."

You know, if you actually played KOTOR while making decisions similar to what actual Jedi did, you'd probably end up Dark Side.

To be fair, in a KotOR setting where most planets you're on are occupied by the Sith or whatever, things like "freeing slaves" and "fuck the laws" tend to both be aligned the same way (Light side, good).

Meanwhile in the Prequels the Republic presumably lets every planet make their own laws on the slavery issue. So now you have a conflict between "Slavery ends now" and "I am grossly violating the laws and cultural practices of this place".

I know what I'd personally do, free the slaves and fuck up anyone who tries to stop me; laws and politics be damned, but when you think about it that's definitely Dark Side reasoning, being ruled by your passions, etc. It doesn't really bother me because as a Jedi I'd end up Dark Side anyway because I'd want to date chicks. On that topic, it's funny that both KotOR games have open romantic relationships between you and another Jedi while Prequel Trilogy rules have strictly celibate Jedi who need to lead secret affairs.

Lanlaorn on