PreacherPreacher Registered User regular
edited August 2011 in Debate and/or Discourse
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UdmupNxobP0

You got your cowboys vs aliens

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=M_pAsPPDdC8

You got your urban group of military vs aliens

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=c5mO_kK0v_w

You even have brad pitt vs aliens

This is a thread about movie trailers and not just aliens aight sweet hearts.

I would like some money because these are artisanal nuggets of wisdom philistine.

pleasepaypreacher.net
Preacher on

• Options
    JacobkoshJacobkosh Gamble a stamp. I can show you how to be a real man!Moderator mod
    edited January 2011
    Preacher wrote: »

Preacher is wise and it will pay to heed him.

Jacobkosh on
  • Options
    edited January 2011
    jacobkosh wrote: »

Preacher is wise and it will pay to heed him.

Make note this is the first my name and wise has been used in sentence with un.

Preacher on
    I would like some money because these are artisanal nuggets of wisdom philistine.

pleasepaypreacher.net
  • Options
    JoolanderJoolander Registered User regular
    edited January 2011
    Oh Harrison Ford

I <3 you

Joolander on
  • Options
    TomantaTomanta Registered User regular
    edited January 2011
    How could you forget bumbling idiots vs aliens?

Paul

Tomanta on
  • Options
    Casually HardcoreCasually Hardcore Once an Asshole. Trying to be better. Registered User regular
    edited January 2011
    Battle: Los Angeles is on my list of 'movies I want to see 2011'.

Who cares if it's McCliches, I just want a decent alien invasion movie that does have Tom Cruise coming home to his still living family like nothing happened at all.

Casually Hardcore on
  • Options
    edited January 2011
    I forgot about Paul, but at the same time, I can claim that was my anti rogen bias.

Preacher on

pleasepaypreacher.net
  • Options
    edited January 2011
    I forgot about Paul, but at the same time, I can claim that was my anti rogen bias.

I find that an acceptable answer.

Tomanta on
  • Options
    edited January 2011
    Tomanta wrote: »

Besides I had to set up my illegal alien joke, four trailers is pushing comedic limit.

Preacher on

pleasepaypreacher.net
  • Options
    edited January 2011

Besides I had to set up my illegal alien joke, four trailers is pushing comedic limit.

The rule of 3, sure.

So, um.... *goes in search of a new trailer that hasn't been posted*.

All I got is a newPriest TrailerWhich, meh.

Tomanta on
  • Options
    edited January 2011
    Best part of Priest is that Karl Urban is playing the bad guy.

Preacher on

pleasepaypreacher.net
  • Options
    chiasaur11chiasaur11 Never doubt a raccoon. Do you think it's trademarked?Registered User regular
    edited January 2011
    Karl Urban is pretty alright.

Man was excellent in Star Trek.

chiasaur11 on
  • Options
    edited January 2011
    chiasaur11 wrote: »
    Karl Urban is pretty alright.

Man was excellent in Star Trek.

I like him, he was great in Red, Bourne supremecy, lotr etc. He's a solid actor, just that priest looks very much meh.

Preacher on

pleasepaypreacher.net
  • Options
    TehSpectreTehSpectre Registered User regular
    edited January 2011
    Karl Urban's best role was the comedy relief in Ghost Ship.

GS_023.jpg

TehSpectre on
    9u72nmv0y64e.jpg
  • Options
    Page-Page- Registered User regular
    edited January 2011
    Missing requisite Alien vs Ninja trailer.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=D-PXdjz5SsM

Page- on
    Competitive Gaming and Writing Blog Updated in October: "Song (and Story) of the Day"
    Anyone want to beta read a paranormal mystery novella? Here's your chance.
    stream
  • Options
    MoridinMoridin Registered User regular
    edited January 2011

The rule of 3, sure.

I'm just gonna pretend that this is Legion, and there never was a movie with Dennis Quaid and Paul Bettany with that title.

We'll come out ahead.

Moridin on
    sig10008eq.png
  • Options
    Casually HardcoreCasually Hardcore Once an Asshole. Trying to be better. Registered User regular
    edited January 2011
    Moridin wrote: »

The rule of 3, sure.

I'm just gonna pretend that this is Legion, and there never was a movie with Dennis Quaid and Paul Bettany with that title.

We'll come out ahead.

Man, I can't even make it through the trailer before I get bored. Such a 'meh' trailer.

Casually Hardcore on
  • Options
    shorttiminshorttimin regular Registered User regular
    edited January 2011
    Moridin wrote: »

The rule of 3, sure.

We'll come out ahead.

Man, I can't even make it through the trailer before I get bored. Such a 'meh' trailer.

I'll see it and I'll probably enjoy too. Bettany hasn't done a non-"religious" movie since A Knight's Tale has he? At least nothing I can remember off the top of my head.

All this trailer really makes me want to see is a movie based off of the priest from Hellsing. That dude was nuts.

shorttimin on
  • Options
    ForarForar #432 Toronto, Ontario, CanadaRegistered User regular
    edited January 2011
    ... I may see Priest based on sheer cheesiness alone.

Though I did manage to dodge Legion despite saying the same thing about that.

Forar on
    First they came for the Muslims, and we said NOT TODAY, MOTHERFUCKER!
  • Options
    edited January 2011
    A Knight's Tale deserved a sequel.

Page- on
    Competitive Gaming and Writing Blog Updated in October: "Song (and Story) of the Day"
    stream
  • Options
    JacobkoshJacobkosh Gamble a stamp. I can show you how to be a real man!Moderator mod
    edited January 2011
    Nobody seems to know how to do B-movies and make them fun anymore.

Compare anything in this thread with

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2yM3-YO7qHs

Jacobkosh on
  • Options
    FartacusFartacus __BANNED USERS regular
    edited January 2011
    jacobkosh wrote: »
    Nobody seems to know how to do B-movies and make them fun anymore.

Compare anything in this thread with

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2yM3-YO7qHs

It's so true.

Although, does the Expendables count? It's budget certainly wasn't enormous, but I suppose the cast was.

Fartacus on
  • Options
    edited January 2011
    Hell no.

Page- on
    stream
  • Options
    edited January 2011
    Is it self-awareness?

B-Movies of yore seemed to be aware of their own camp -- they didn't take themselves too seriously. But maybe it just seems that way to us in retrospect, I don't know.

But if I had to guess what makes a fun B-movie, I'd assume it's...well, a sense of fun.

Fartacus on
  • Options
    edited January 2011
    Which The Expendables lacked in spades.

Page- on
    stream
  • Options
    edited January 2011
    Page- wrote: »
    Which The Expendables lacked in spades.

Oh I disagree completely. Were you saying "Hell no" because it sucked or because it wasn't a B-movie? I thoroughly enjoyed it because it very much recalled old-school B-movies to me.

Fartacus on
  • Options
    edited January 2011
    Because it wasn't a fun B-movie.

Excessive macho posturing, terrible acting, and an awful plot aren't what fun b-movies are about.

Page- on
    stream
  • Options
    edited January 2011

Excessive macho posturing, terrible acting, and an awful plot aren't what fun b-movies are about.

But it seemed like such a self-parody

It had to be self-aware

I can't believe anything else

You know what though -- if nothing else, god bless it for being a self-contained story with a clear dramatic arc, clear villain, clear motives, etc. Simple, but clear.

I feel like that's a lot more than most action movies can say these days. They all want to build some gigantic fucking fantasy world with a bunch of incoherent bullshit and a too-big narrative that usually just means a lot of exposition and ambiguous motives and consequences that sap tension from the movie.

There's something to be said for the rather more restrained scope of something like the Expendables.

Also I maintain that it was tongue-in-cheek, at least partly.

Fartacus on
  • Options
    PonyPony Registered User regular
    edited January 2011
    Fartacus wrote: »

But it seemed like such a self-parody

It had to be self-aware

I can't believe anything else

You know what though -- if nothing else, god bless it for being a self-contained story with a clear dramatic arc, clear villain, clear motives, etc. Simple, but clear.

I feel like that's a lot more than most action movies can say these days. They all want to build some gigantic fucking fantasy world with a bunch of incoherent bullshit and a too-big narrative that usually just means a lot of exposition and ambiguous motives and consequences that sap tension from the movie.

There's something to be said for the rather more restrained scope of something like the Expendables.

Also I maintain that it was tongue-in-cheek, at least partly.

i concur. formulas are not bad, when applied well.

how well the Expendables applied those formulas is a matter of personal opinion, but the application is clear

Pony on
  • Options
    edited January 2011
    It was clearly open ended and sequel bait.

But the point is not whether it was taking itself seriously or not, it's whether it's a fun b-movie or not. Which it isn't. It's generally considered to be kind of terrible. Compare it to movies like Big Trouble in Little China and Repo Man, which are also b-movies and don't take themselves very seriously, but are also fun to watch and considered to be good movies because of that.

Page- on
    stream
  • Options
    edited January 2011
    Pony wrote: »

how well the Expendables applied those formulas is a matter of personal opinion, but the application is clear

Yeah. I don't know what happened to movies when people stopped doing that for the big-budget little-brain movies.

You know a formulaic movie? Star Wars. The oldest formula in the book, for fuck's sake.

It's weird. It's like the basics of storytelling have sort of disappeared from most modern big-budget moviemaking, but for the life of me I couldn't tell you why. It's bizarre.

Fartacus on
  • Options
    edited January 2011
    It was clearly open ended and sequel bait.

But the point is not whether it was taking itself seriously or not, it's whether it's a fun b-movie or not. Which it isn't. It's generally considered to be kind of terrible. Compare it to movies like Big Trouble in Little China and Repo Man, which are also b-movies and don't take themselves very seriously, but are also fun to watch and considered to be good movies because of that.

OK but those are standout B-movies. Most fun B-movies are not of that caliber. I found it to be fun, and sort of hokey in a way that makes me think of a B-movie.

It was over-the-top veering into self-parody, there was ample gore, it didn't seem to take itself too seriously and certainly left room for levity, it was built on time-honored formulas and tropes, etc.

To me, it had the hallmarks of a B-movie, and I found it to be very fun.

I enjoyed it a lot more than most of the other summer fare in 2010.

Fartacus on
  • Options
    edited January 2011

Yeah. I don't know what happened to movies when people stopped doing that for the big-budget little-brain movies.

You know a formulaic movie? Star Wars. The oldest formula in the book, for fuck's sake.

It's weird. It's like the basics of storytelling have sort of disappeared from most modern big-budget moviemaking, but for the life of me I couldn't tell you why. It's bizarre.

I blame special effects advances

or more accurately

obsessions with special effects advances

Pony on
  • Options
    edited January 2011

I blame special effects advances

or more accurately

obsessions with special effects advances

Yeah, I think action movies have forgotten almost entirely that they are stories, and have essentially become really expensive music videos.

Which probably has something to do with a lot of modern action directors getting their starts in commercials and music videos (fuck yooooooouuuuuu Michael Bay)

Fartacus on
  • Options
    edited January 2011
    You know what is an excellent B-Movie? Piranha 3D

i saw the trailer for it, was like "God, I sure hope this movie is what it appears to be"

and it was, it totally was

i left that movie having received the movie that i wanted to see, which is really something i can't say about a lot of disappointing films in the past few years

Pony on
  • Options
    chiasaur11chiasaur11 Never doubt a raccoon. Do you think it's trademarked?Registered User regular
    edited January 2011
    Look.

Expendables just wasn't very good.

Not enough awesome action, not enough of an ensemble piece, not enough good one liners.

Never heard anyone cite a "that" line. Never heard "You NEED to see scene (X)".

Which is a very bad sign. Too bad, since Stallone can be pretty good when he's on his game.

chiasaur11 on
  • Options
    ForarForar #432 Toronto, Ontario, CanadaRegistered User regular
    edited January 2011
    chiasaur11 wrote: »
    Look.

Expendables just wasn't very good.

Not enough awesome action, not enough of an ensemble piece, not enough good one liners.

Never heard anyone cite a "that" line. Never heard "You NEED to see scene (X)".

Which is a very bad sign. Too bad, since Stallone can be pretty good when he's on his game.

The line I'll give you, but please, "the shotgun sequence" was fairly memorable, and comes up on these forums fairly regularly in random threads.

Edit: of note, I wasn't even that big a fan of the movie, and am not fanboying out in my defense. I just disagree on there not being a scene that people talked about.

But seriously, some of their "action heroes of our generation" choices were laaaaaaame.

Forar on
    First they came for the Muslims, and we said NOT TODAY, MOTHERFUCKER!
  • Options
    edited January 2011
    You know what is an excellent B-Movie? Piranha 3D

i saw the trailer for it, was like "God, I sure hope this movie is what it appears to be"

and it was, it totally was

i left that movie having received the movie that i wanted to see, which is really something i can't say about a lot of disappointing films in the past few years

Haha, yeah, I've been meaning to check it out.

Fartacus on
  • Options
    edited January 2011
    it's also very telling when you have a lot of movie trailers now that are basically just short music videos

directed by music video directors

that don't necessarily let you know what the fuck you are watching

the very first trailer for Inception was fucking terrible at telling you what the hell this movie is.

look, i don't hate viral marketing

it can exist, do its own thing, on the internet or whatever

but when you have a movie trailer that is basically a bunch of random bullshit and then like

"go to our website to unlock more of the secret!"

i want to punch those people in the balls

lookin' at you, JJ Abrams' marketing people

Pony on
  • Options
    edited January 2011
    There were about 1.5 decent scenes in the entire movie.

And another 90 minutes of entirely wasted potential.

Page- on
    stream
  • Options
    edited January 2011
    like, even the "music video" approach works okay if it shows a bunch of compelling scenes and conveys what the movie is about

like when I watched the trailer for Battle: Los Angeles, I was like "oh this is a movie about a squad of soldiers fighting against an alien invasion. I assume it focuses on the soldiers itself and not like, a single dad and his plucky daughter"

according to what i have read of the film, that is accurate

i appreciate that.

Pony on
This discussion has been closed.