As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[FRINGE] Reality be fragmenting at the seams

• Options
    Mojo_JojoMojo_Jojo We are only now beginning to understand the full power and ramifications of sexual intercourse Registered User regular
    edited February 2011
    The real problem with the other side is that the episodes with their Fringe division were much more interesting :)

Mojo_Jojo on
    Homogeneous distribution of your varieties of amuse-gueule
  • Options
    DisrupterDisrupter Registered User regular
    edited February 2011
    Right, its relatively obvious that they are normal folks over there. I mean, Peter shows that, by being one of "them." But for us to root for "them" over the folks we have been seeing since episode 1 is almost impossible. Even by showing that Walt started the conflict by being selfish and stealing Peter and even showing that their universe is falling apart because of that action, we will still root for the original universe we saw.

But they could have been clever and made the universes a bit more similar and slowly dropped hints that the "alternate" universe was in fact, ours, and that the folks we had been watching were from a different universe. Like all the small pop culture changes, and stuff like what buildings got hit on 9/11, switch that up. So then we go "oh shit! Peter's home universe doesnt have the twin towers and his new one does? That means his original is us! SNAPPP!"

That could be gimicky and fail horribly too. But at the very least, I think making the alt-verse so alien makes it very hard for us to relate to them. It lessens the conflict in the viewer and the choice becomes clear. Which is probably what they wanted. They probably didnt want the viewer to not know which side to root for. I just think itd be more interesting.

Disrupter on
    616610-1.png
  • Options
    jclastjclast Registered User regular
    edited February 2011
    Xeddicus wrote: »
    You mean when they yanked her back after crossing home a few times? I...guess... [tiny]but really secretly reject it.[/tiny]

I actually meant the first time when Bell called her over and then sent her back. I figured every time after that she had just figured out how to cope with the change herself.

jclast on
    camo_sig2.png
  • Options
    ElJeffeElJeffe Moderator, ClubPA mod
    edited February 2011
    It would be easy to make the viewers sympathize with the other universe, if the writers wanted to. Again, BSG made us sympathize with crazy-ass robots who ostensibly wanted to destroy the human race. It can be done.

As to Sam, I find his character so far to be fine, and interesting enough. I just hope they don't go the Lost route of having characters never bother asking very logical questions, like "who the hell are you?" and "what the hell is going on?" and instead just being all "I don't like you and so I'm going to refuse to ask any useful questions and just blunder about in ignorance."

ElJeffe on
    I submitted an entry to Lego Ideas, and if 10,000 people support me, it'll be turned into an actual Lego set!If you'd like to see and support my submission, follow this link.
  • Options
    edited February 2011
    My view on Sam is that nobody really knows TO ask anything about him. Its not like hes been super mystic and magic up to this point, hes just been a bit wise. What were they supposed to ask?

"Howd you get so wise?"

"I dunno, living life? Heres some shoes, and a gun."

He didnt really have any sort of super secret information, it was just sort of wisdom and bizzare theropy.

Now we dont know if Nina knows more about him then we do, so we dont know if there is anything for her to ask. We know the fringe gang doesnt really know much, but they arent in a position to even wonder.

So, basically the only person who knows something is up with him may or may not already have the questions about "what is up."

If...that...makes any sense.

Its like, theres a dude who is lying dead on the ground. And Nina is the only one who knows he is there. But she may or may not know why and how. So there is nobody definately around to ask "how and why."

In the future if we learn that Nina doesnt know shit, and she doesnt ask shit, well then thats bad Lost style writing. But until then, its just a relatively new mystery to ponder.

That being said, Sam seems useless to me. Id rather have more to do with the observers and have them serve any role he currently has. Too many "mystery folk." First people better be observers.

Disrupter on
    616610-1.png
  • Options
    ElJeffeElJeffe Moderator, ClubPA mod
    edited February 2011
    Well, Nina now knows that Sam wrote all those books, that he knows how the device works and how Peter is tied to it, he presumably knows a fuckload a bout the First People, and so on. There is no reason for her not to press him for massive amounts of extremely useful information, and it would be very strange if Sam didn't know a whole lot of useful things.

At this point, Nina should be pretty well-versed in a lot of this mythology, and she should be filling in several key Fringe Division people so that everyone's on the same page, assuming that she's legitimately a good guy trying to help save the world.

Basically, Sam right now appears to know a whole lot about what's going on. It's going to take a bit of contrivance if this information isn't spread to the key players.

I am expecting a bit of contrivance.

ElJeffe on
    I submitted an entry to Lego Ideas, and if 10,000 people support me, it'll be turned into an actual Lego set!If you'd like to see and support my submission, follow this link.
  • Options
    XeddicusXeddicus Registered User regular
    edited February 2011
    Actually, if Walternate just killed him that would make sense and wouldn't even be too contrived since it makes perfect sense for him to want our side in the dark. Would be convenient to deny them answers and draw things out, though, but can't have everything.

Xeddicus on
  • Options
    autono-wally, erotibot300autono-wally, erotibot300 love machine Registered User regular
    edited February 2011
    wait... about the books
    I though walter wrote one, because it was his typewriter? Or is it certain sam WROTE them, and doesn't just KNOW about them, because Walter told him something before his brain got scrambled, and hid his name so people could find out?

autono-wally, erotibot300 on
    kFJhXwE.jpgkFJhXwE.jpg
  • Options
    Mike DangerMike Danger "Diane..." a place both wonderful and strangeRegistered User regular
    edited February 2011
    wait... about the books
    I though walter wrote one, because it was his typewriter? Or is it certain sam WROTE them, and doesn't just KNOW about them, because Walter told him something before his brain got scrambled, and hid his name so people could find out?

I think you're confusing the ZFT manifesto from S1 and the First People books.

Mike Danger on
    Steam: Mike Danger | PSN/NNID: remadeking | 3DS: 2079-9204-4075
    oE0mva1.jpg
  • Options
    autono-wally, erotibot300autono-wally, erotibot300 love machine Registered User regular
    edited February 2011
    ah yes, I am

autono-wally, erotibot300 on
    kFJhXwE.jpgkFJhXwE.jpg
  • Options
    AstaerethAstaereth In the belly of the beastRegistered User regular
    edited February 2011
    I think the issue with Sam's character and lack of explanations is that he's basically an artifact from the 1st season, a character who helped transition us into the second season. Fringe Season 1 was comparatively awful, partly because new shows take time to figure themselves out, and partly because the creators were trying to pretend they weren't writing a sci-fi epic in the hopes of gaining a wider audience. Midway through season 2 they threw caution to the wind, and put out episodes breaking the usual procedural episode formula (Peter is alone, the whole thing takes place in one building, Walter explains the show's metaphors in the form of a period pot-fueled musical, etc.), at the same time deepening our understanding of the world(s), the characters, and their backstory.

The latter especially they had been loath to do early on; part of what made the first season bad was without understanding key pieces of the backstory (Walter started all this by stealing Peter; Olivia was experimented on as a child, etc.), it was hard to care about the characters or their situations. (Walter, especially, was not a convincing and moving Dr. Frankenstein figure until we learned what he had created and what the unforeseen consequences were.)

Anyway, most of the plotlines from season 1 were abandoned wholesale when the EPs decided to fast-track the mythology. Sam is basically the last character created in that early vein; we are told almost nothing about him, and then he too disappeared from the story. Now he's back a full season and a half later, and the difference between his character's depth and that of the main 3 stands way out. So naturally people are eager to see him developed, and hoping he will not be allowed to remain mysterious for mystery's sake. They shouldn't worry; he was never mysterious for mystery's sake, he was mysterious because the truth ("So this guy works at a bowling alley but he's hundreds of years old and knows all about this ancient world-destroying technology which...") is absurd and off-putting to the average TV viewer. They've since stopped caring about those viewers (that they were never going to get anyway) and are focusing on writing a very good show for the people who already like it. And doing pretty well, I think.

Astaereth on
    ACsTqqK.jpg
  • Options
    ReynoldsReynolds Gone Fishin'Registered User regular
    edited February 2011
    I'm glad at least one other person noticed the agent asking Olivia if she was a good shot (when we know she isn't normally), and then her nailing the bad guy in the spine from across a crowded room. So, is she going to force herself to become more like Fauxlivia so Peter will like her?

When Sam said Peter would have to choose between the two Olivias and that his love would save one universe, I groaned out loud and said, "This show just got really stupid." Unless he was just lying to Nina and giving her something he thought she'd believe for some reason, and the machine really does something completely different. Then that's pretty funny, really.

Reynolds on
    uyvfOQy.png
  • Options
    Captain VashCaptain Vash Registered User regular
    edited February 2011
    Don't trust Sam Weiss.

Captain Vash on
    twitterforweb.Stuckens.1,1,500,f4f4f4,0,c4c4c4,000000.png
  • Options
    edited February 2011
    Of course, if that was on the OTHER side he may be on our side. But just in case they better stick him with some needles and such, just to make sure.

Xeddicus on
  • Options
    CaptainPeacockCaptainPeacock Board Game Hoarder Top o' the LakeRegistered User regular
    edited February 2011
    The evil ones have mustaches. Easy to spot.

280px-SamWeiss.jpg

CaptainPeacock on
    Cluck cluck, gibber gibber, my old man's a mushroom, etc.
  • Options
    edited February 2011
    The whole "Peter will choose an Olivia and thus choose the fate of the universe!" thing isnt bad in theory...but its horrible in execution.

Peter being the catalyst for the machine, and thus ultimately chosing which one survives works for me. Even if its a subconcious choice.

Explaining such things would allow the viewer to draw their own conclusion that his feelings for the olivias would play a part. Again, not bad. They can even point it out more directly when the time comes.

But flat out stating "OMG HIS LOVE FOR OLIVIA 1 OR OLIVA 2 WILL DECIDE THE FATE OF UNIVERSES" is....horrible.

Disrupter on
    616610-1.png
  • Options
    CaptainPeacockCaptainPeacock Board Game Hoarder Top o' the LakeRegistered User regular
    edited February 2011
    I'm curious if and how they will explain exactly why it's attuned to Peter. I mean, "old tech", old as the First People supposedly, attuned to someone who was far from being born?

CaptainPeacock on
    Cluck cluck, gibber gibber, my old man's a mushroom, etc.
  • Options
    Mike DangerMike Danger "Diane..." a place both wonderful and strangeRegistered User regular
    edited February 2011
    I'm curious if and how they will explain exactly why it's attuned to Peter. I mean, "old tech", old as the First People supposedly, attuned to someone who was far from being born?

Yeah, this is the really mysterious part of things to me still, and I'm interested to see how they handle it.

Mike Danger on
    oE0mva1.jpg
  • Options
    edited February 2011
    To me that seems like a Lost style mystery that will have no actual explanation outside of something that simply breaks down to "fate".

There's probably not going to be a decent explanation for it. I mean what could it possibly be? Why would they build their machine specifically for peter?

What I suspect is they will have built the machine for a random set of DNA or something, sort of a massive game of russian ruellete. Every time someone is born they could possibly be the trigger. Just so happens Peter is.

Disrupter on
    616610-1.png
  • Options
    DarkCrawlerDarkCrawler Registered User regular
    edited February 2011
    Started watching this show. It's interesting, though some things feel off...like the massive 3D text.

But it's pretty okay otherwise, except I really don't like the main lead for some reason. The guy from Dawson's Creek is awesome, as is the professor dude. She just seems kind of uncharismatic compared to them.

DarkCrawler on
  • Options
    WassermeloneWassermelone Registered User regular
    edited February 2011

Yeah, this is the really mysterious part of things to me still, and I'm interested to see how they handle it.

I mean hes fairly unique. By fairly, I mean entirely. Sure multiple people have been to different universes, but not many have been one not of their origin for so long. William Bell also lived in another dimension for some time and if I remember correctly, he was the absolutely huge energy source that got them home.

Wassermelone on
  • Options
    tallgeezetallgeeze Registered User regular
    edited February 2011
    Started watching this show. It's interesting, though some things feel off...like the massive 3D text.

But it's pretty okay otherwise, except I really don't like the main lead for some reason. The guy from Dawson's Creek is awesome, as is the professor dude. She just seems kind of uncharismatic compared to them.

It takes a while to warm up to Olivia given the flimsy backstory they gave her. Don't worry, though. They move away from that.

tallgeeze on
  • Options
    edited February 2011
    Wasnt Bell's issue that he went back and forth too much?

Olivias "power" confuses me as I dont get what the big deal about crossing is if Bell and Walt have done it (and in bells case, often). I get Bell sort of implied multiple crossings without someone like Olivia fucks one up and makes them be all unstable and potentially boomy...

But...sometimes they act like crossing over is impossible without her. Walt did it, Peter did it, Bell did it too much and went boom. Walternate did it. That one dude who could teleport or whatever...did it.

Disrupter on
    616610-1.png
  • Options
    ShaggyShaggy Registered User regular
    edited February 2011
    Disrupter wrote: »

Olivias "power" confuses me as I dont get what the big deal about crossing is if Bell and Walt have done it (and in bells case, often). I get Bell sort of implied multiple crossings without someone like Olivia fucks one up and makes them be all unstable and potentially boomy...

But...sometimes they act like crossing over is impossible without her. Walt did it, Peter did it, Bell did it too much and went boom. Walternate did it. That one dude who could teleport or whatever...did it.

I think Olivia is special because she can cross over without any sort of machine or anything. It seemed everyone else needed something to help them along, while Olivia can just cross over at will. Maybe she will be able to learn to do it without the tank in the future. I mean, she already showed she was capable of it in season 1 when she used it to solve that case about the twins.

Shaggy on
  • Options
    ImthebOHGODBEESImthebOHGODBEES Registered User regular
    edited February 2011

Just a quick note on the bolded part:

I live and work just outside Boston, and I've actually found 2 inns and an icecream place (and one other...don't remember what) that have their signs/names in simply free standing plain white blocky letters remeniscent of the title blocks. I can't find any on google, but I may take a couple pictures in the next few days. When I first saw the signs out here, I was wondering if they did that on purpose in the show simply as a feel for the area or something, I've never noticed the type of sign in other areas that I've lived.

ImthebOHGODBEES on
    Do you, in fact, have any builds in this shop at all?
  • Options
    edited February 2011
    Shaggy wrote: »

I think Olivia is special because she can cross over without any sort of machine or anything. It seemed everyone else needed something to help them along, while Olivia can just cross over at will. Maybe she will be able to learn to do it without the tank in the future. I mean, she already showed she was capable of it in season 1 when she used it to solve that case about the twins.

This, and I believe she also doesn't suffer from the degrading effects that killed Bell and that Massive Dynamic coffee mug.

Mike Danger on
    oE0mva1.jpg
  • Options
    ZekZek Registered User regular
    edited February 2011
    Shaggy wrote: »

This, and I believe she also doesn't suffer from the degrading effects that killed Bell and that Massive Dynamic coffee mug.

The other Cortexifan kids could do it too though, they just had to combine their powers. So I guess Olivia is just slightly better at it?

Zek on
  • Options
    edited February 2011
    If I recall, they couldn't cross over, they could help Olivia cross over by powering her up. Then they all died, so Bell had to power her up.

Xeddicus on
  • Options
    RhalloTonnyRhalloTonny Of the BrownlandsRegistered User regular
    edited February 2011
    The whole "Peter will choose an Olivia and thus choose the fate of the universe!" thing isnt bad in theory...but its horrible in execution.

Peter being the catalyst for the machine, and thus ultimately chosing which one survives works for me. Even if its a subconcious choice.

Explaining such things would allow the viewer to draw their own conclusion that his feelings for the olivias would play a part. Again, not bad. They can even point it out more directly when the time comes.

But flat out stating "OMG HIS LOVE FOR OLIVIA 1 OR OLIVA 2 WILL DECIDE THE FATE OF UNIVERSES" is....horrible.

This sums up my feelings regarding the last minute Sam info summary. I hope it turns out that he's just making it up, but it feels like they're going down that road.

RhalloTonny on
    !
  • Options
    EchoEcho ski-bap ba-dapModerator mod
    edited February 2011
    Started watching this from the start again, since I never saw more than two thirds of season one.

I had forgotten how freaky the intro parts of the first episodes were. D:

Echo on
  • Options
    edited February 2011
    That first part of the pilot is so screwed up.

Mike Danger on
    oE0mva1.jpg
  • Options
    AntimatterAntimatter Devo Was Right Gates of SteelRegistered User regular
    edited February 2011
    That first part of the pilot is so screwed up.

It was jaw dropping.

Antimatter on
  • Options
    Mojo_JojoMojo_Jojo We are only now beginning to understand the full power and ramifications of sexual intercourse Registered User regular
    edited February 2011

People say that a lot about the text. I quite like it. It seems an odd thing to take offence to.

The lead sadly stays the lead and doesn't cheer up or become interesting. We're all praying for a terrible car crash in a future episode though.

Mojo_Jojo on
    Homogeneous distribution of your varieties of amuse-gueule
  • Options
    edited February 2011
    I imagine people notice it because it looks slightly cheap. Like they thought it up day before air, someone wiped up a prototype and they went with that. Of course, the main title sequence kind of looks like that too, so it just must be a style choice.

Xeddicus on
  • Options
    mxmarksmxmarks Registered User regular
    edited February 2011
    I think anyone who thinks that - literally - Peter's LOVE is what makes the machine kill one universe or the other is looking at things way, way, waaaaaaaaay too literally.

I think it's as simple as:

-Peter can control the machine
    -The machine can destroy a universe
    -Peter will not want to kill his girlfriend

and therefore, whoever Peter really loves, he will want them not to be dead.

the machine will not be running off feelings, i bet. the picture with flames shooting out of his face seem to tell me the machine cares very little about who he loves, just who he's chosen to destroy.

mxmarks on
    PSN: mxmarks - WiiU: mxmarks - twitter: @ MikesPS4 - twitch.tv/mxmarks - "Yes, mxmarks is the King of Queens" - Unbreakable Vow
  • Options
    edited February 2011
    Eh. Maybe. But then what happens when he doesn't want either side to be destroyed? If he isn't directly controlling it then it has to be going off of his feelings. I suppose he could choose which side just based on Us or Them. But why would he choose Them at this point? Just for Fauxlivia? He can't have THAT many feelings left for her...

Edit for new thoughts: Though, if Olivia starts acting weird over the stupid note and he has no clue what her deal is I suppose that could tip him over the edge. Well, if I had to make up some reason for it that would anyway... And come to think of it, the guy was a mind reader. So he gleaned the whole 2-worlds-2-Olivia's thing from Peter, came to the conclusion Peter still had feelings for Fauxlivia because Peter was thinking that apparently, and then didn't say a word about anything but the feelings bit at the last minute....ooook.

Xeddicus on
  • Options
    edited February 2011
    Haha that is such a good call. I mean, the guy just found out there another universe out there that we are at war with and a machine that will decide which universe gets destroyed and a dude with cool jackets who will be used to fire off siad machine...

and all he comments on is some crush?

I mean, yes, he probably would be less shocked then the average joe to find this out, but youd think its something hed want to discuss or react to.

Also Olivia was being kind of a bitch.

"Man my power sucks, I cant even be near people. My social interactions are all fake because I already know everything. Life is impossible to live normally and I have to be secluded and alone."

"I wish i had your power."

"Really bitch? Did you not listen to anything I just said? Its a curse."

"I wish I had your power."

"Fine, ya know what, he wants to bang your evil alternate version. He wants to do it in front of you while you watch and cry and he blows up your universe! Suck on that lady."

Disrupter on
    616610-1.png
  • Options
    edited February 2011
    I was going to suggest maybe due to Olivia's prompting and his own crush he only picked up Peter's romantically themed thoughts, but even if that was the case those would have ALTERNATE UNIVERSE all over it. So...yeah... maybe he totally made it up and is from the other side!

Xeddicus on
  • Options
    SolandraSolandra Registered User regular
    edited February 2011
    The statement from the mind reader was "He still has feelings for her." That doesn't tell us what those feelings are. We assume that the feelings are positive, but it doesn't say "he's still in love with her." I wouldn't rule out the idea that Peter's feelings for Fauxlivia are rage, embarrassment, betrayal, confusion and the certain wistful "OMG WTF?" that sometimes happens when the person you're dating turns out to be a whole lot different than what they seemed to be.

I'm betting on rage complicated by betrayal and the hurt look in Olivia's eyes.

Solandra on
  • Options
    edited February 2011
    It won't be as simple as that. And there is some justification for it, since Fauxlivia does have a lot of the qualities Peter likes in Olivia. He may still care about her, for instance, and then feel bad about putting a bullet in her head. And maybe shed a tear over it. That's as simple as it'll get I'm thinking. If it boiled down to "Fuck that bitch!" it be awesome, but not dramatic enough. Or so I bet.

Unless, of course, it's all a red herring and Peter was telling the whole 100% truth when Olivia asked. Which is such a novel idea I'll go with it! Mind reading guy and Sam are in this bullshit together!

Xeddicus on