As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Mammoths, cloning and you

ShanadeusShanadeus Registered User regular
edited January 2011 in Debate and/or Discourse
WhollyMammoth_1.jpg

From the Tech Herald:
According to Professor Akira Iritani of Kyoto University, a cloning technique pioneered in 2008 by Dr. Teruhiko Wakayama of the Riken Centre for Developmental Biology should enable him to bring the wholly mammoth back from extinction within the next five years.

The process in question was used by Dr. Wakayama to successfully clone a mouse from another mouse frozen for a period of 16 years—thereby overcoming the scientific hurdle associated with prolonged tissue damage when exposed to extremely cold temperatures.

With the effects of cold damage apparently no longer an issue, Dr. Iritani told UK newspaper The Daily Telegraph that all he needs “is a good sample of soft tissue” from a frozen mammoth in order to clone the mighty pachyderm.

Once a sample has been recovered and Dr. Wakayama’s technique has been applied in order to isolate healthy nuclei, an African elephant will be used as a surrogate host for the wholly mammoth during a gestation period of around 600 days.

Based on ongoing cold-beating experiments focusing on cattle, Dr. Iritani believes his chances of successfully cloning a wholly mammoth presently stand at around 30 percent.

He has also said a scientific research team will begin scouring Siberia in the summer for a viable tissue sample. If that search proves fruitless, he will contact Russian scientists in the hope of extracting nuclei from one of their already recovered samples.

I guess this raises the question of whether or not we'll be able to resurrect other relatively recently extinct animals such as the Dodo and the sabre toothed tiger.

Previously, scientists have tried to clone the Pyrenian Ibex with what I suppose you could call successful results:
Wikipedia wrote:
In 2003, scientists attempted to clone the extinct Pyrenean Ibex (C. p. pyrenaica). This initial attempt failed; of the 285 embryos reconstructed, 54 were transferred to 12 mountain goats and mountain goat-domestic goat hybrids, but only two survived the initial two months of gestation before they too died.[53] In 2009, a second attempt was made to clone the Pyrenean Ibex; one clone was born alive, but died seven minutes later, due to physical defects in the lungs.[54]

But what should we do with all these animals if we manage to resurrect them?

The ones who died out directly because of human activity might survive in the wild so long as we don't repeat whatever it was that drove them to extinction in the first place but other animals such as the above mentioned Mammoth might have died out because of natural climate change and thus not be capable of surviving unaided without some form of human assistance.

Shanadeus on

• Options
    ShivahnShivahn Unaware of her barrel shifter privilege Western coastal temptressRegistered User, Moderator mod
    edited January 2011
    I doubt you could clone a dodo or a tiger or anything unless someone has one in their freezer or something. The dodo lived on Madagascar, right? I can't imagine there being any frozen dodo meat available.

As to "what do we do?" I can't imagine much is going to happen except that they'll be repeat-cloned and given to various zoos. If enough extinct animals are perhaps a new type of zoo will emerge.

Shivahn on
  • Options
    MvrckMvrck Dwarven MountainhomeRegistered User regular
    edited January 2011
    Shivahn wrote: »
    If enough extinct animals are perhaps a new type of zoo will emerge.

I think we all know how this ends.

Mvrck on
  • Options
    YougottawannaYougottawanna Registered User regular
    edited January 2011
    This can only end one way

t-rex-jurassic-park.jpg

Yougottawanna on
  • Options
    TastyfishTastyfish Registered User regular
    edited January 2011
    Thought the main reason that was suspected of killing mammoths was the grasslands they lived on turned into forests at the end of the ice age, has this reversed to some extent in Russia (other than human logging and conversion to farmland)?

I imagine they'd be pretty much just kept in zoos, though I could see people wanting the pygmy ones as pets.

Tastyfish on
  • Options
    iguanacusiguanacus Desert PlanetRegistered User regular
    edited January 2011

t-rex-jurassic-park.jpg

So.... awesomely?

iguanacus on
  • Options
    TheOtherHorsemanTheOtherHorseman Registered User regular
    edited January 2011
    There is absolutely no forgotten monster of antiquity that I think shouldn't be resurrected and unleashed on our plains.

If it's good enough for my campaign slogan, it has to be true.

TheOtherHorseman on
  • Options
    edited January 2011
    Obligatory:
    Don’t you see the danger, John, in what you’re doing here? Genetic force is the most awesome power the planet’s ever seen, but you wield it like a kid that found his dad’s gun. I’ll tell you the problem with the scientific power that you’re using here. It didn’t acquire any discipline to attain it. You read what others have done and you took the next step. You didn’t earn the knowledge for yourself so therefore you don’t take any responsibility for it. You stood on the shoulders of geniuses to accomplish something as fast as you could and before you even knew it you had it. You patented it and packaged it and slapped it on a plastic lunch box, and now your selling it! You wanna sell it! Well, your scientists were so preoccupied with whether or not they could they didn’t stop if they should. No, hold on John, this is not an animal wiped out by deforestation or the building of a dam. Dinosaurs had their shot and nature selected them for extinction.

Shanadeus on
  • Options
    BamaBama Registered User regular
    edited January 2011
    iguanacus wrote: »

t-rex-jurassic-park.jpg

So.... awesomely?
    Things don't get really awesome until the sequel.

Life Finds a Way

Bama on
  • Options
    Rhesus PositiveRhesus Positive GNU Terry Pratchett Registered User regular
    edited January 2011
    As readers of Jasper Fforde will know, this will lead to mammoth migrations through Swindon and dodos grown at home for pets.

Also a subclass of Neanderthals.

Rhesus Positive on
    [Muffled sounds of gorilla violence]
  • Options
    edited January 2011
    Ah yes, the cloning of Neanderthals.

I wonder if when that'll happen.

Shanadeus on
  • Options
    bowenbowen How you doin'? Registered User regular
    edited January 2011
    I don't think the purpose for cloning the animals is so much for reviving the extinct species so much as honing our ability to manipulate genetic material.

bowen on
    not a doctor, not a lawyer, examples I use may not be fully researched so don't take out of context plz, don't @ me
  • Options
    Styrofoam SammichStyrofoam Sammich WANT. normal (not weird)Registered User regular
    edited January 2011
    I think we should proceed full force with cloning extinct animals for one reason,

my desire to feast upon the flesh of new creatures.

Styrofoam Sammich on
    wq09t4opzrlc.jpg
  • Options
    ShivahnShivahn Unaware of her barrel shifter privilege Western coastal temptressRegistered User, Moderator mod
    edited January 2011
    bowen wrote: »
    I don't think the purpose for cloning the animals is so much for reviving the extinct species so much as honing our ability to manipulate genetic material.

I'm pretty sure the reason for cloning those animals is because, as a scientist, it's fucking awesome, and as a non-scientist, it's still awesome so you get grant money.

Shivahn on
  • Options
    QuidQuid Definitely not a banana Registered User regular
    edited January 2011
    Reading the article does not make me optimistic about this at all.

I mean, fuck yeah it'd be great if it could happen, but the guy thinks he has a 30% chance of finding the right material alone, to say nothing of the rather poor results achieved so far with most clones.

Quid on
  • Options
    ZombiemamboZombiemambo Registered User regular
    edited January 2011
    Won't the mammoth just die in a couple of days anyway? Doesn't anything that is cloned die within a couple of days?

Zombiemambo on
    JKKaAGp.png
  • Options
    BurtletoyBurtletoy Registered User regular
    edited January 2011
    Won't the mammoth just die in a couple of days anyway? Doesn't anything that is cloned die within a couple of days?

......no?

Edit: Clones are, however, destined to die before the thing they are cloned from.

Stupid Telomeres.

Burtletoy on
  • Options
    edited January 2011

No, they can live for quite some time, but do tend to have problems. Dolly the cloned sheep lived from 1996 to 2003, for example. Also we have better technology now.

Shivahn on
  • Options
    StarcrossStarcross Registered User regular
    edited January 2011

Dolly the Sheep lived for about 7 years.

Starcross on
  • Options
    edited January 2011
    Damn, apparently I am not knowledgeable about cloning

Zombiemambo on
    JKKaAGp.png
  • Options
    joshofalltradesjoshofalltrades Class Traitor Smoke-filled roomRegistered User regular
    edited January 2011
    Quick, hide Hitler's brain!

I don't think we can safely say that a good reason to do this is to learn the past behaviors of now-extinct animals, since we can never truly determine how large nurture plays a part in their development and actions. As a way of seeing real, breathing creatures that don't exist today, it'd be neat. As long as Wayne Knight doesn't get employed by the inevitable theme park resulting.

joshofalltrades on
  • Options
    FeralFeral MEMETICHARIZARD interior crocodile alligator ⇔ ǝɹʇɐǝɥʇ ǝᴉʌoɯ ʇǝloɹʌǝɥɔ ɐ ǝʌᴉɹp ᴉRegistered User regular
    edited January 2011

I'm pretty sure the reason for cloning those animals is because, as a scientist, it's fucking awesome, and as a non-scientist, it's still awesome so you get grant money.

Best-case scenario: we're able to grow some actual living tissue, and see how it differs in structure and function from comparable tissue from modern evolutionary relatives. This gives us insight not just on the evolution of life on the planet, but on different ways evolution might 'solve' an adaptive problem.

Feral on
    every person who doesn't like an acquired taste always seems to think everyone who likes it is faking it. it should be an official fallacy.

the "no true scotch man" fallacy.
  • Options
    BurtletoyBurtletoy Registered User regular
    edited January 2011

Ever eaten a Banana?

[tiny]clones![/tiny]

Burtletoy on
  • Options
    edited January 2011
    That would certainly be excellent, Feral.

But I like the idea of a Japanese scientist writing "because it's fucking awesome" in the "why are you doing this research" part of a form.

Shivahn on
  • Options
    dojangodojango Registered User regular
    edited January 2011
    I think we should proceed full force with cloning extinct animals for one reason,

my desire to feast upon the flesh of new creatures.

For sure. I bet mammoths were delicious.

dojango on
  • Options
    edited January 2011
    Burtletoy wrote: »

Ever eaten a Banana?

[tiny]clones![/tiny]

yeah I knew that.

Zombiemambo on
    JKKaAGp.png
  • Options
    QuidQuid Definitely not a banana Registered User regular
    edited January 2011
    Oh man. I can just imagine the absolute heart break if they manage to get the elephant to carry the baby mammoth to term only to have it die a few hours later.

Saddest day.

Quid on
  • Options
    nexuscrawlernexuscrawler Registered User regular
    edited January 2011

No, they can live for quite some time, but do tend to have problems. Dolly the cloned sheep lived from 1996 to 2003, for example. Also we have better technology now.

The in order to produce dolly they made dozens of still-born and severely deformed mistakes before a viable sheep made it.

nexuscrawler on
  • Options
    edited January 2011
    Quid wrote: »
    Oh man. I can just imagine the absolute heart break if they manage to get the elephant to carry the baby mammoth to term only to have it die a few hours later.

Saddest day.

They will probably try it 10-20 times with the expectation of maybe 1-2 mammoths surviving and growing up.

Shanadeus on
  • Options
    joshofalltradesjoshofalltrades Class Traitor Smoke-filled roomRegistered User regular
    edited January 2011
    Do you know how many people 1 T-Rex would feed

Well I don't know but I bet it's a lot

joshofalltrades on
  • Options
    edited January 2011
    Do you know how many people 1 T-Rex would feed

Well I don't know but I bet it's a lot

I think the real question that needs answering is the opposite one.

Starcross on
  • Options
    edited January 2011
    mr-owl-425.jpg

A-one, a two-hooooo, a-three... *CRUNCH*

...Three.

joshofalltrades on
  • Options
    FeralFeral MEMETICHARIZARD interior crocodile alligator ⇔ ǝɹʇɐǝɥʇ ǝᴉʌoɯ ʇǝloɹʌǝɥɔ ɐ ǝʌᴉɹp ᴉRegistered User regular
    edited January 2011
    Quid wrote: »

Saddest day.

Yeah that (and the Dolly thing) is pretty bad. I'm not really sure it is or should be ethical.

But I'd be all for injecting the DNA in some stem cells or something like that.

Feral on
    every person who doesn't like an acquired taste always seems to think everyone who likes it is faking it. it should be an official fallacy.

• Options
    L Ron HowardL Ron Howard The duck MinnesotaRegistered User regular
    edited January 2011

t-rex-jurassic-park.jpg

So.... awesomely?

Clever girl....

Other than cloning things for the sake of cloning them, or observing how to evolution has changed modern animals, one thing I know scientists and doctors want to do is clone organs for organ transplant.

At the very least this will help push cloning technology that much further along.

Until they decide to clone dinosaurs, I think we'll be fine.

L Ron Howard on
  • Options
    lonelyahavalonelyahava Call me Ahava ~~She/Her~~ Move to New ZealandRegistered User regular
    edited January 2011
    ok, this is cool.

Also, I think the food supply thing. That could be interesting.

Release one or two t-rexes into tribal war stricken places, like africa, and then let whatever happens happens.

no more tribal warfare, no more hunger problems (at least for a little bit)

Or hell, mexico.

Or the dakotas.

lonelyahava on
  • Options
    edited January 2011

t-rex-jurassic-park.jpg

So.... awesomely?

Clever girl....

Other than cloning things for the sake of cloning them, or observing how to evolution has changed modern animals, one thing I know scientists and doctors want to do is clone organs for organ transplant.

At the very least this will help push cloning technology that much further along.

Until they decide to clone dinosaurs, I think we'll be fine.

This is the largest thing. Imagine organ transplants that don't need anti-rejection pills, steroids, and a gamut of antibiotics/antivirals. Of course I'm sure drug companies will be sad, but fuck those guys.

bowen on
    not a doctor, not a lawyer, examples I use may not be fully researched so don't take out of context plz, don't @ me
  • Options
    edited January 2011
    This is the largest thing. Imagine organ transplants that don't need anti-rejection pills, steroids, and a gamut of antibiotics/antivirals. Of course I'm sure drug companies will be sad, but fuck those guys.

If they're smart, they'll branch out into the equipment & chemicals needed to perform organ cloning. Medical devices & surgery supplies are a huge business, they just face different business challenges so pharma companies have to be careful reaching into that space.

(Can you tell I used to work for a pharma strategic consulting company? :) )

Feral on

• Options
    edited January 2011
    Or Texas.

Stock D&D edit

joshofalltrades on
  • Options
    edited January 2011
    How much did it corrupt you Feral? ;)

Also yeah I think cloned organs are probably only a few decades away at this point. I don't see any problem with advancing cloning technology through projects like these if it led to breakthroughs in human cloning. Also, fuck Bush Jr.

bowen on
  • Options
    L Ron HowardL Ron Howard The duck MinnesotaRegistered User regular
    edited January 2011
    I hope I can eventually clone myself and then put my consciousness into my new body!

L Ron Howard on
  • Options
    edited January 2011
    I hope I can eventually clone myself and then put my consciousness into my new body!

Why clone yourself? Clone some good looking, genetically awesome person and have your consciousness put in that new body.

Starcross on