As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Mammoths, cloning and you

13»

• Options
    bowenbowen How you doin'? Registered User regular
    edited January 2011
    Kistra wrote: »
    Arch is the resident biologist, but anti biotics can actually become viable again if not used much, as the immunities are shed as the bug is no longer exposed.

Worth noting.

Unfortunately, it doesn't work exactly that way with many antibiotics because many of the drug resistance mutations confer resistance to groups of antibiotics so you have to stop using all of the related drugs for several decades before any of them can become effective again.

For instance, doctors don't prescribe penicillin very often any more but penicillin resistance is still very common because penicillin derivatives are still very commonly used.

How many forms of antibiotics are there? I know there are cillins and mycin/micin, not really familiar with the rest never having been on them. From what I remember there isn't an awful lot of broad spectrum antibiotics like penicillin and most target certain things don't they?

bowen on
    not a doctor, not a lawyer, examples I use may not be fully researched so don't take out of context plz, don't @ me
  • Options
    joshofalltradesjoshofalltrades Class Traitor Smoke-filled roomRegistered User regular
    edited January 2011
    Give the T-rexes some Sharks to ride too, while we're at it.

Then we can clone Hattori Hanzo and he can ride the T-rex

joshofalltrades on
  • Options
    electricitylikesmeelectricitylikesme Registered User regular
    edited January 2011
    Neaden wrote: »
    jothki wrote: »
    tbloxham wrote: »
    Burtletoy wrote: »
    There is no reason that - if we were able to do so - we shouldn't bring back Mammoths or extinct animals, or help the preservation of animals under the threat of extinction.

Except, you know, ecological terrorism.

And; Cloning can't help a species that is near extinction.

Modern cloning couldn't, but I mean, if the technology goes far enough that we can just poop a hundred blue whales a month out of the cloning vats then it might. Although, this would only help if the species had been destroyed by something which was at that point resolved.

The other side of that is that if we can poop a hundred blue whales a month out of cloning vats, we won't actually need to keep blue whales alive as a species. If we ever develop a hankering for having some blue whales around, we could just make some.
    The problem with this is that Blue Whales have a lot of behaviors they need to learn. We saw something kinda similar with Elephants where too many of the older males were killed by poachers so the young males grew up without good role models and murdered rhinos. The last thing we need is a pod of young blue whales attacking boats.

Actually this is exactly what we need. We need to arm the whales to fight the Japanese!

electricitylikesme on
  • Options
    joshofalltradesjoshofalltrades Class Traitor Smoke-filled roomRegistered User regular
    edited January 2011
    Actually this is exactly what we need. We need to arm the whales to fight the Japanese!

japan.jpg

?

joshofalltrades on