As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Mammoths, cloning and you

• Options
    TastyfishTastyfish Registered User regular
    edited January 2011
    Feral wrote: »
    bowen wrote: »
    This is the largest thing. Imagine organ transplants that don't need anti-rejection pills, steroids, and a gamut of antibiotics/antivirals. Of course I'm sure drug companies will be sad, but fuck those guys.

If they're smart, they'll branch out into the equipment & chemicals needed to perform organ cloning. Medical devices & surgery supplies are a huge business, they just face different business challenges so pharma companies have to be careful reaching into that space.

(Can you tell I used to work for a pharma strategic consulting company? :) )

Cloning isn't the current best hope of transplant organs, due to requiring the organ to be built from scratch (which requires the support systems in place in order to the specific bits you want made). Answer probably lies in cell localisation - if you have the structure in place (so basically strip a pigs heart down to the basic skeleton) and then put stem cells in it, they realise they are in a heart (and whereabouts) and start developing to 'plug the holes'. Whether it works with a whole organ I'm not so sure, not heard anything lately (but then not looked).

Burtletoy wrote: »
    Won't the mammoth just die in a couple of days anyway? Doesn't anything that is cloned die within a couple of days?

......no?

Edit: Clones are, however, destined to die before the thing they are cloned from.

Stupid Telomeres.
    Humans have telomerases, the reactivation of them is one of the required steps for cancers - they're only active in embryos. Basically, your cloned embryo will repair and extend the telomeres of the original donor as part of it's development. Don't forget - the DNA that made you is copied from something that has been replicated billions of times, it's a strand that's been implanted from your adult parents into a cloning cell and then repaired.

Tastyfish on
  • Options
    ShanadeusShanadeus Registered User regular
    edited January 2011
    Starcross wrote: »
    I hope I can eventually clone myself and then put my consciousness into my new body!

Why clone yourself? Clone some good looking, genetically awesome person and have your consciousness put in that new body.

If he's going to transplant his brain into the new body then he better be sure of his brain not being rejected due to a nasty immune system.

Shanadeus on
  • Options
    edited January 2011
    Shanadeus wrote: »
    I hope I can eventually clone myself and then put my consciousness into my new body!

Why clone yourself? Clone some good looking, genetically awesome person and have your consciousness put in that new body.

If he's going to transplant his brain into the new body then he better be sure of his brain not being rejected due to a nasty immune system.

Brain and bone marrow transplant? Job done.

Tastyfish on
  • Options
    Rhesus PositiveRhesus Positive GNU Terry Pratchett Registered User regular
    edited January 2011

The two are one and the same ;-)

Rhesus Positive on
    [Muffled sounds of gorilla violence]
  • Options
    SolandraSolandra Registered User regular
    edited January 2011
    I think we should proceed full force with cloning extinct animals for one reason,

my desire to feast upon the flesh of new creatures.

then maybe cloning extinct creatures is not exactly what you're after? Because they aren't exactly... new... :)

Solandra on
  • Options
    bowenbowen How you doin'? Registered User regular
    edited January 2011
    Tastyfish wrote: »

Seems like you'd need to do a lot more of that. Or at least some sort of plasmapheresis to remove the current antibodies in the blood.

bowen on
    not a doctor, not a lawyer, examples I use may not be fully researched so don't take out of context plz, don't @ me
  • Options
    joshofalltradesjoshofalltrades Class Traitor Smoke-filled roomRegistered User regular
    edited January 2011
    I don't know, there are a lot of tasty animals on Earth that I haven't tried already. I don't need anything added to my backlog.

I wonder if we could make new old veggies, though. Not as interesting as animals, but potentially just as tasty.

joshofalltrades on
  • Options
    MuridenMuriden Registered User regular
    edited January 2011
    Or the dakotas.

north_dakota.jpg

Does this strike you as the ideal place for a T-Rex?

Muriden on
    MrGulio.332 - Lover of fine Cheeses. Replays
    301787-1.png
  • Options
    dlinfinitidlinfiniti Registered User regular
    edited January 2011
    just because they don't currently make harleys large enough for a t-rex to properly enjoy the open road doesnt mean it can't be done

dlinfiniti on
    AAAAA!!! PLAAAYGUUU!!!!
  • Options
    edited January 2011
    bowen wrote: »

Seems like you'd need to do a lot more of that. Or at least some sort of plasmapheresis to remove the current antibodies in the blood.

I'd have thought it unlikely they'd have antibodies against the donor, especially since we're talking clones. They don't hand around for long though and it's not hard to take out the cells that'll respond to or create them. We should probably focus our efforts on the brain transplant side, maybe practise with a few corpses first, electrical stimulation of the motor cortex of the brain should be a nice obvious sign that the connections have taken - if only there was some source that could provide the significant power we would need.

Dinosaurs are the one thing I wouldn't want to bring back - we'd be so disappointed with how they really look, and watching some sort of Doom Puffin slowly expire from lack of oxygen would just kill off the last of my childhood. Far better to try to correct the genes in chickens or ostriches, see how many of the dinosaur traits we can bring back.

Tastyfish on
  • Options
    L Ron HowardL Ron Howard The duck MinnesotaRegistered User regular
    edited January 2011
    I'd have thought it unlikely they'd have antibodies against the donor, especially since we're talking clones. They don't hand around for long though and it's not hard to take out the cells that'll respond to or create them. We should probably focus our efforts on the brain transplant side, maybe practise with a few corpses first, electrical stimulation of the motor cortex of the brain should be a nice obvious sign that the connections have taken - if only there was some source that could provide the significant power we would need.

I think I've heard of this idea before. Can't quite put my finger on it, though.

L Ron Howard on
  • Options
    DarkCrawlerDarkCrawler Registered User regular
    edited January 2011
    There is no reason that - if we were able to do so - we shouldn't bring back Mammoths or extinct animals, or help the preservation of animals under the threat of extinction.

DarkCrawler on
  • Options
    BurtletoyBurtletoy Registered User regular
    edited January 2011
    There is no reason that - if we were able to do so - we shouldn't bring back Mammoths or extinct animals, or help the preservation of animals under the threat of extinction.

Except, you know, ecological terrorism.

And; Cloning can't help a species that is near extinction.

Burtletoy on
  • Options
    tbloxhamtbloxham Registered User regular
    edited January 2011

Modern cloning couldn't, but I mean, if the technology goes far enough that we can just poop a hundred blue whales a month out of the cloning vats then it might. Although, this would only help if the species had been destroyed by something which was at that point resolved.

tbloxham on
    "That is cool" - Abraham Lincoln
  • Options
    Styrofoam SammichStyrofoam Sammich WANT. normal (not weird)Registered User regular
    edited January 2011
    You can't just grow complex life and then throw it out in the ocean any more than you can release an animal that has spent its entire life in a zoo.

Styrofoam Sammich on
    wq09t4opzrlc.jpg
  • Options
    edited January 2011
    We had a thread about that "First Synthetic Life" created thing a year or so ago, right?

I guess some guys kinda one-up'ed them a little while back.

They made some E. Coli that had non-natural occuring protiens in it and still survived.

Which, yeah, I guess could mean that cloning might some day be useful for species on the brink of extinction, because in theory we could give them genetic variation.

But then it isn't really cloning as much as synthesising life.

So, again, cloning can't help an near-extinct species.

Burtletoy on
  • Options
    MrOlettaMrOletta Registered User regular
    edited January 2011
    Or Texas.

Stock D&D edit

Let's be honest, that T-rex would be shot dead so fast..

MrOletta on
  • Options
    chiasaur11chiasaur11 Never doubt a raccoon. Do you think it's trademarked?Registered User regular
    edited January 2011
    MrOletta wrote: »
    Or Texas.

Stock D&D edit

Unless we gave THEM guns!

Seriously, heavily armed Dinosaurs is the one idea that cannot possibly go wrong.

chiasaur11 on
  • Options
    lonelyahavalonelyahava Call me Ahava ~~She/Her~~ Move to New ZealandRegistered User regular
    edited January 2011
    Or Texas.

Stock D&D edit

That's why I said the Dakotas.

At least there, there's less people. They still all got guns, but there's less of them.

lonelyahava on
  • Options
    DiorinixDiorinix Registered User regular
    edited January 2011
    chiasaur11 wrote: »
    Or Texas.

Stock D&D edit

Seriously, heavily armed Dinosaurs is the one idea that cannot possibly go wrong.
    2010-09-24-20p20.jpg

Diorinix on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    Mmmmm....toasty.
  • Options
    MuridenMuriden Registered User regular
    edited January 2011
    Or Texas.

Stock D&D edit

Dinosaur-with-lazer-gun.jpg

Muriden on
    MrGulio.332 - Lover of fine Cheeses. Replays
    301787-1.png
  • Options
    Edith UpwardsEdith Upwards Registered User regular
    edited January 2011
    We NEED to invest heavily in cloning cloning and myco-electric prosthesis in order to survive the shitstorm that'll occur when antibiotics and anti-necrotic/rejection drugs stop working.

Remember all of the shitty sci-fi villains based around this? Yeah, we're going to become the goddamned Phage if you don't do enough science.

Or we die and cats take over the world.

Edith Upwards on
  • Options
    ACSISACSIS Registered User regular
    edited January 2011
    First we need to outlaw feeding antibiotics to cattle as a growth accelerator on a global scale and prosecute abuses with an iron fist to slow the goddamm process down. Its stupidity in its purest form.

ACSIS on
  • Options
    Styrofoam SammichStyrofoam Sammich WANT. normal (not weird)Registered User regular
    edited January 2011
    Arch is the resident biologist, but anti biotics can actually become viable again if not used much, as the immunities are shed as the bug is no longer exposed.

Worth noting.

Styrofoam Sammich on
    wq09t4opzrlc.jpg
  • Options
    edited January 2011
    Arch isn't the only one.

:x

Burtletoy on
  • Options
    Linespider5Linespider5 ALL HAIL KING KILLMONGER Registered User regular
    edited January 2011
    Mammoth clones?

I thought we were gonna clone up some Aurochs first, funding courtesy of Red Bull, so we could get us some supertaurine.

Linespider5 on
  • Options
    ButtcleftButtcleft Registered User regular
    edited January 2011
    wasnt the oxygen content of the atmosphere far higher in the age of dinosaurs than it is today?

Wouldnt that basically doom the mammoth to dying from hypoxia?

Buttcleft on
  • Options
    iguanacusiguanacus Desert PlanetRegistered User regular
    edited January 2011
    Mammoths only went extinct in the last like 10k years, so... no?

iguanacus on
  • Options
    override367override367 ALL minions Registered User regular
    edited January 2011
    Humans used to ride around on mammoth back hurling spears at the evil Neanderthals and their Reptite allies

Nobody will shatter the image of early man's history that I have going, so don't try

override367 on
  • Options
    MetroidZoidMetroidZoid Registered User regular
    edited January 2011
    This all reminds me of Discovery's "Raising the Mammoth"

That was such a fucking let down. "Oh it got left in a storage place and the heat climbed up and the little guy rotted and ewww we're not cloning that shit" or something like that.

MetroidZoid on
    9UsHUfk.jpgSteam
    3DS FC: 4699-5714-8940 Playing Pokemon, add me! Ho, SATAN!
  • Options
    JoolanderJoolander Registered User regular
    edited January 2011
    Humans used to ride around on mammoth back hurling spears at the evil Neanderthals and their Reptite allies

Nobody will shatter the image of early man's history that I have going, so don't try

you forgot about the amulets

tell us about the amulets

Joolander on
  • Options
    Linespider5Linespider5 ALL HAIL KING KILLMONGER Registered User regular
    edited January 2011
    This all reminds me of Discovery's "Raising the Mammoth"

That was such a fucking let down. "Oh it got left in a storage place and the heat climbed up and the little guy rotted and ewww we're not cloning that shit" or something like that.

Put that way, it sounds hilarious. Like, scientists being all prissy with their clone candidate samples.

Grow-ussss.

Linespider5 on
  • Options
    KistraKistra Registered User regular
    edited January 2011
    Arch is the resident biologist, but anti biotics can actually become viable again if not used much, as the immunities are shed as the bug is no longer exposed.

Worth noting.

Unfortunately, it doesn't work exactly that way with many antibiotics because many of the drug resistance mutations confer resistance to groups of antibiotics so you have to stop using all of the related drugs for several decades before any of them can become effective again.

For instance, doctors don't prescribe penicillin very often any more but penicillin resistance is still very common because penicillin derivatives are still very commonly used.

Kistra on
    Animal Crossing: City Folk Lissa in Filmore 3179-9580-0076
  • Options
    L Ron HowardL Ron Howard The duck MinnesotaRegistered User regular
    edited January 2011
    Or Texas.

Stock D&D edit

Give the T-rexes some Sharks to ride too, while we're at it.

L Ron Howard on
  • Options
    jothkijothki Registered User regular
    edited January 2011
    tbloxham wrote: »

Modern cloning couldn't, but I mean, if the technology goes far enough that we can just poop a hundred blue whales a month out of the cloning vats then it might. Although, this would only help if the species had been destroyed by something which was at that point resolved.

The other side of that is that if we can poop a hundred blue whales a month out of cloning vats, we won't actually need to keep blue whales alive as a species. If we ever develop a hankering for having some blue whales around, we could just make some.

jothki on
  • Options
    Rhesus PositiveRhesus Positive GNU Terry Pratchett Registered User regular
    edited January 2011
    jothki wrote: »

The other side of that is that if we can poop a hundred blue whales a month out of cloning vats, we won't actually need to keep blue whales alive as a species. If we ever develop a hankering for having some blue whales around, we could just make some.

The ultimate designer safari holiday.

"Yeah, I'd like some Bengal tigers, a few Kudu, a leopard or two, whichever elephant that best matches my umbrella, and of course the most dangerous quarry of all... a t-rex with a gun."

Rhesus Positive on
    [Muffled sounds of gorilla violence]
  • Options
    NeadenNeaden Registered User regular
    edited January 2011
    jothki wrote: »

The problem with this is that Blue Whales have a lot of behaviors they need to learn. We saw something kinda similar with Elephants where too many of the older males were killed by poachers so the young males grew up without good role models and murdered rhinos. The last thing we need is a pod of young blue whales attacking boats.

Neaden on
  • Options
    PixiStyxPixiStyx Registered User regular
    edited January 2011
    Ooo! I was wondering how long it would be before they tried this. I don't mind resurrecting recently extinct animals, particularly those driven there by human hand. Chances are, the environments that they lived in could still handle them. That said, I don't know about introducing resurrected species to the wild until one is ABSOLUTELY sure. We have a terrible habit of throwing things into the wild that create terrible environmental problem later on.

Actually, the animal I wish they would resurrect is the Auroch. It's a kind of wild bull and was human kind's ancestral food source in Europe back in the stone age. The last one only went extinct cerca 1600. I think that would be our best bet.

PixiStyx on
    RLFhalf2-1.gif -A webcomic
  • Options
    TheOrangeTheOrange Registered User regular
    edited January 2011
    I for one endorss cloning the raptors, I mean, hunting them would be the ultimate game D:

But wow, really, not to sound old but the things I've read about during the last decade makes me want to freeze myself so I can see the Wonders of the Future.

TheOrange on
  • Options
    DarkCrawlerDarkCrawler Registered User regular
    edited January 2011
    PixiStyx wrote: »
    Ooo! I was wondering how long it would be before they tried this. I don't mind resurrecting recently extinct animals, particularly those driven there by human hand. Chances are, the environments that they lived in could still handle them. That said, I don't know about introducing resurrected species to the wild until one is ABSOLUTELY sure. We have a terrible habit of throwing things into the wild that create terrible environmental problem later on.

Actually, the animal I wish they would resurrect is the Auroch. It's a kind of wild bull and was human kind's ancestral food source in Europe back in the stone age. The last one only went extinct cerca 1600. I think that would be our best bet.

We still got photos of Tasmanian tigers. Australia has a lot of empty space. It would be a perfect breeding ground for all these kinds of resurrection experiments.
    HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA got you Aussies

DarkCrawler on