As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

The Wilhelm Scream and other in-jokes

joshofalltradesjoshofalltrades Class TraitorSmoke-filled roomRegistered User regular
edited January 2011 in Debate and/or Discourse
When I was a kid I watched the Star Wars movies at least 10 times a day. Lasers! Bad guys! Magic! Spaceships! Whoooosh!

Then I noticed that one of the screams uttered sounded very familiar.

Compilation

Skip to :38.

So okay, I caught on to this scream being used in two different movies. But it's actually used in a metric buttload of films, as an in-joke between sound editors. They'll play this game where they'll see if they can spot the Wilhelm Scream (as it's known) somewhere in the movie.
The Wilhelm scream is a frequently-used film and television stock sound effect first used in 1951 for the film Distant Drums. The effect gained new popularity (its use often becoming an in-joke) after it was used in Star Wars and many other blockbuster films as well as television programs and video games. The scream is often used when someone is shot, falls from a great height, or is thrown from an explosion.

The Wilhelm scream has become a well-known cinematic sound cliché, and by 2008 had been used in over 216 films.

The sound is named for Private Wilhelm, a character in The Charge at Feather River, a 1953 western in which the character is shot with an arrow. This was believed to be the second movie to use the sound effect and its first use from the Warner Brothers stock sound library

This kind of thing interests me way more than it probably should. From now on I'll be keeping an ear out for the Scream.

What are some in-jokes, either personal to you or out in the world that we can help raise awareness of (I guess making them in-jokes no longer)?

joshofalltrades on

• Options
    Styrofoam SammichStyrofoam Sammich WANT. normal (not weird)Registered User regular
    edited January 2011
    Its also in Starcraft.

But yeah there are several sounds that pop up all over. Like the static sound a ghost makes when he used lockdown in SC1.

Styrofoam Sammich on
    wq09t4opzrlc.jpg
  • Options
    TheOtherHorsemanTheOtherHorseman Registered User regular
    edited January 2011
    Its also in Starcraft.

But yeah there are several sounds that pop up all over. Like the static sound a ghost makes when he used lockdown in SC1.

The roar used by dragons in Warcraft 2 has popped up in a number of movies and TV shows, and I recognize it every time.

My youth has prepared me well for the challenges of my rigorous life.

TheOtherHorseman on
  • Options
    FeralFeral MEMETICHARIZARD interior crocodile alligator ⇔ ǝɹʇɐǝɥʇ ǝᴉʌoɯ ʇǝloɹʌǝɥɔ ɐ ǝʌᴉɹp ᴉRegistered User regular
    edited January 2011
    The menu button-press in Starcraft seems to come up in a lot of not-Blizzard games. I don't know if it's a stock sound in public domain or what.

Funny this thread came up right now. About one week ago, I was watching Lord of the Rings with my girlfriend and her husband, and during the battle of Helm's Deep we heard a Wilhelm scream. Hubby and I started cracking up hysterically and my girlfriend was all "whut?" so we showed her one of those YouTube compilations.

Feral on
    every person who doesn't like an acquired taste always seems to think everyone who likes it is faking it. it should be an official fallacy.

the "no true scotch man" fallacy.
  • Options
    joshofalltradesjoshofalltrades Class Traitor Smoke-filled roomRegistered User regular
    edited January 2011
    I didn't actually find out that it had a name until watching a Rifftrax, and after the scream they said, "Oh no, they shot Wilhelm!" I was like, "Huh?" and looked up the joke (since people actually document the jokes these guys make and explain them, I'm not joking).

joshofalltrades on
  • Options
    nexuscrawlernexuscrawler Registered User regular
    edited January 2011
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OtPWLZ3h56g

You've heard this one many times too

Castle Thunder was originally used in 1931's frankenstein. t's been in many many is particularly common in old cartoons like Scooby Doo

nexuscrawler on
  • Options
    joshofalltradesjoshofalltrades Class Traitor Smoke-filled roomRegistered User regular
    edited January 2011

Castle Thunder was originally used in 1931's frankenstein. t's been in many many is particularly common in old cartoons like Scooby Doo

They used the same sound effect several times in a row on some of these! I've only got minimal experience in sound editing for video but if you have, say, 2 or 3 thunder effects, it seems like it would make a lot more sense to vary it up a bit.

joshofalltrades on
  • Options
    FeralFeral MEMETICHARIZARD interior crocodile alligator ⇔ ǝɹʇɐǝɥʇ ǝᴉʌoɯ ʇǝloɹʌǝɥɔ ɐ ǝʌᴉɹp ᴉRegistered User regular
    edited January 2011
    It doesn't hurt that the Wilhelm scream is genuinely funny.

That high-pitched "bwwwaaaargh!' is so goofy.

Feral on
    every person who doesn't like an acquired taste always seems to think everyone who likes it is faking it. it should be an official fallacy.

• Options
    nexuscrawlernexuscrawler Registered User regular
    edited January 2011

They used the same sound effect several times in a row on some of these! I've only got minimal experience in sound editing for video but if you have, say, 2 or 3 thunder effects, it seems like it would make a lot more sense to vary it up a bit.

most cartoon production is as lazy as humanely possible

I'm convinced Hanna Barbara actually drew like 10 seconds of animation that they reused for like 20 years

nexuscrawler on
  • Options
    KlashKlash Lost... ... in the rainRegistered User regular
    edited January 2011
    Thats what that is? Its an in joke?

I hear these types of things in games and movies all the time, I just figured that people were being cheap and rehashing sounds from various sources. That scream, for example, always sounded so fake and would annoy me any time I heard it. Now its at least a funny nuisance.

Klash on
    We don't even care... whether we care or not...
  • Options
    MrVyngaardMrVyngaard Live From New Etoile Straight Outta SosariaRegistered User regular
    edited January 2011
    I also recall hearing the door open/close sound used in Doom also in at least a few films/movies. Can't remember which ones, but definately that sample.

MrVyngaard on
    "now I've got this mental image of caucuses as cafeteria tables in prison, and new congressmen having to beat someone up on inauguration day." - Raiden333
    camo_sig2.png
  • Options
    edited January 2011
    Quentin Tarantino and Kevin Smith also really love their in-jokes (Mooby the Golden Calf, Big Kahuna Burger, etc.)

But I always get a sneaking suspicion while watching movies, especially by directors like them, that I'm missing some joke. Lots of times I'll be in a theater and everybody laughs at some mundane thing, and I'll kind of go "huh?".

joshofalltrades on
  • Options
    KrieghundKrieghund Registered User regular
    edited January 2011
    The problem with that scream is that once I heard about it, I hear it every time it's used. Kinda gets on my nerves sometimes.

Krieghund on
  • Options
    edited January 2011
    Klash wrote: »

I hear these types of things in games and movies all the time, I just figured that people were being cheap and rehashing sounds from various sources. That scream, for example, always sounded so fake and would annoy me any time I heard it. Now its at least a funny nuisance.

It started out as a cheap reuse of a stock sound in the 50s. It didn't become a Hollywood in-joke until the 80s, IIRC.

Feral on

• Options
    KlashKlash Lost... ... in the rainRegistered User regular
    edited January 2011
    There is also a "thud" like death sound, if anyone knows it. Its often used when someone gets clubbed or is otherwise coming into contact with a solid object.

The first time I heard it was in one of the Army Men games by 3DO. Since then I notice it everywhere, it even manages to show its head in otherwise serious movies. Unfortunately I just can't recall where else I've heard it.

Does anybody have any clue what I'm blathering about? Its a short "ugh" death/injury sound from thuddy-thingies.

Klash on
    We don't even care... whether we care or not...
  • Options
    edited January 2011
    There are quite a lot of stock sounds that I pick up on. Vyngaard pointed out the Doom doors and I pick up on it every time I hear that, too. Also, I'm finding a lot of Valve's sound effects are being repurposed for indie titles. 7 Days a Skeptic pretty much ripped them off wholesale.

I don't think any of them have been elevated to the joke level of the Wilhelm Scream, though.

You know, I kept up with Homestar Runner for a long time, like over a year, and then I stopped. When I went back I didn't understand anything. I didn't realize how much of it was in-joke material until I wasn't watching it regularly anymore.

joshofalltrades on
  • Options
    EchoEcho ski-bap ba-dapModerator mod
    edited January 2011
    MrVyngaard wrote: »
    I also recall hearing the door open/close sound used in Doom also in at least a few films/movies. Can't remember which ones, but definately that sample.

Yes! JUst what I came here to post. I'm sure I've heard it in a radio ad as well.

The X-Com door opening sound is a bit different, but extremely similar.

Echo on
  • Options
    PwnanObrienPwnanObrien He's right, life sucks. Registered User regular
    edited January 2011
    PwnanObrien on
    Mwx884o.jpg
  • Options
    VariableVariable Mouth Congress Stroke Me Lady FameRegistered User regular
    edited January 2011
    think of how insane this probably made people before the internet

I remember 'discovering' this scream with friends when we were younger and then being able to find the history online (my friend actually once made a thread here called 'YYEEEEAAAAAAAAAAAAAAHHHHHHHH' about another scream, not the wilhelm)

but I think the scream he was talking about there sometimes gets confused with the wilhelm. can't remember the name right now

Variable on
    BNet-Vari#1998 | Switch-SW 6960 6688 8388 | Steam | Twitch
  • Options
    Caveman PawsCaveman Paws Registered User regular
    edited January 2011
    Is there a sound for the over used sound effect of someone falling down? I haven't heard it recently but watch more than three 80's movies and you are bound to hear it about 10 times.

Caveman Paws on
  • Options
    PwnanObrienPwnanObrien He's right, life sucks. Registered User regular
    edited January 2011
    PwnanObrien on
    Mwx884o.jpg
  • Options
    PodlyPodly you unzipped me! it's all coming back! i don't like it!Registered User regular
    edited January 2011
    In sound-design and music production, there's a boatload of them, because you can reproduce them so easily.

One of my favorite is a sample/hold lfo modulation to pitch. Because apparently that's what a computer "sounds like" when it processes data. Or at least that's what we tell ourselves.

http://www.synthmania.com/Famous%20Sounds/Processing%20(from%20Alesis%20airSynth).mp3

Podly on
    follow my music twitter soundcloud tumblr
    9pr1GIh.jpg?1
  • Options
    JoolanderJoolander Registered User regular
    edited January 2011
    skip to 1:55

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=P8N5XzKqRfQ

the sound of firing the rocket launcher is everywhere

Joolander on
  • Options
    TofystedethTofystedeth Registered User regular
    edited January 2011
    Feral wrote: »
    Klash wrote: »

It started out as a cheap reuse of a stock sound in the 50s. It didn't become a Hollywood in-joke until the 80s, IIRC.

If I'm remembering correctly from the NPR story I heard on it years ago, the actual name of the sound clip is "Man Being Eaten By Crocodile."

Tofystedeth on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    edited January 2011
    If I ever get eaten by a crocodile, I will do my absolute best to make a Wilhelm Scream my last act on this earth

joshofalltrades on
  • Options
    PodlyPodly you unzipped me! it's all coming back! i don't like it!Registered User regular
    edited January 2011
    And here's an awesome mini-documentary on the amen break, perhaps the most sampled drum beat ever

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5SaFTm2bcac

Podly on
    9pr1GIh.jpg?1
  • Options
    edited January 2011
    Podly on
    9pr1GIh.jpg?1
  • Options
    OmeksOmeks Registered User regular
    edited January 2011
    I can't find any videos of examples, but the first thing I thought of when I saw this thread was "Doom Doors."

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jOrX0kec7so

I remember watching my dad play Doom when I was a kid. Then at one point, for some reason I remember this above anything else, I watched an episode of Rugrats where they had the Doom Door sound effect. My tiny mind freaked out when I heard it. "OMG THAT'S THE SOUND THE DOORS MAKE IN DOOM!"

It's really kind of an obnoxious sound when you listen to it enough times.

Omeks on
    Online Info (Click Spoiler for More):
    |Xbox Live Tag: Omeks
    |PSN Tag: Omeks_R7
    |Rock Band: Profile|DLC Collection
    Omeks.png
  • Options
    ThomamelasThomamelas Only one man can kill this many Russians. Bring his guitar to me! Registered User regular
    edited January 2011
    So due to copyright reasons, films and television shows don't use real newspapers. So they get newspapers from various prop houses that really all use a variation of the same fake newspaper.

same-newspaper-465x621.jpg
    all-the-same-newspaper.jpg

Thomamelas on
  • Options
    edited January 2011
    they're probably just filled with lorem ipsum too

Podly on
    9pr1GIh.jpg?1
  • Options
    ThomamelasThomamelas Only one man can kill this many Russians. Bring his guitar to me! Registered User regular
    edited January 2011
    Podly wrote: »

I'm trying to track down one of the HD shots of it, but it actually does have text rather then standard lorem ipsum filler.

Thomamelas on
  • Options
    edited January 2011
    Thomamelas wrote: »

I'm trying to track down one of the HD shots of it, but it actually does have text rather then standard lorem ipsum filler.

maybe the headlines, but I'd be really surprised if the main text weren't greeked

Podly on
    9pr1GIh.jpg?1
  • Options
    TachTach Registered User regular
    edited January 2011
    I do know the Doctor Who series shares a lot of sounds from City of Heroes/Villians.

It's funny to hear a knockback sound when the TARDIS is hit by lightning.

Tach on
  • Options
    Sangheili91Sangheili91 Registered User regular
    edited January 2011
    There's a specific cat noise that always plays when cats are fighting or something, but my google-fu is failing and I can't find anything on it. Anyone know what I'm talking about?

Sangheili91 on
  • Options
    DasUberEdwardDasUberEdward Registered User regular
    edited January 2011
    Thank you for filling my knowledge banks D&D.

DasUberEdward on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    Space CoyoteSpace Coyote Registered User regular
    edited January 2011
    "Uncle Tom Cobley and all" is added to the end of a list of names to exaggerate it's length, similar to 'Tom, Dick or Harry'. Some research papers have a "Cobley, U. T." added to the list of authors. There are a variety of placeholder names, used across different languages that can lead to fictional people having a very interesting publication history.

Space Coyote on
  • Options
    edited January 2011
    "Uncle Tom Cobley and all" is added to the end of a list of names to exaggerate it's length, similar to 'Tom, Dick or Harry'. Some research papers have a "Cobley, U. T." added to the list of authors. There are a variety of placeholder names, used across different languages that can lead to fictional people having a very interesting publication history.

Ha! I know the nature of scientific paper authorship prevents this from ever happening, but it would really be funny to see Cobley, U.T. cited seriously in a paper with the author not knowing it's a fake.

joshofalltrades on
  • Options
    HonkHonk Honk is this poster. Registered User, __BANNED USERS regular
    edited January 2011
    The StarCraft 1 button push is in a LOT of movies and tv shows too.

Honk on
    PSN: Honkalot
  • Options
    AistanAistan Tiny Bat Registered User regular
    edited January 2011
    There's also that "kids laughing in the background at a playground" sound clip that always jumps out at me whenever it's used.

Aistan on
  • Options
    HonkHonk Honk is this poster. Registered User, __BANNED USERS regular
    edited January 2011
    Thomamelas wrote: »

maybe the headlines, but I'd be really surprised if the main text weren't greeked

moar like latin-ed.

Honk on
    PSN: Honkalot
  • Options
    Muse Among MenMuse Among Men Suburban Bunny Princess? Its time for a new shtick Registered User regular
    edited January 2011
    There's a specific cat noise that always plays when cats are fighting or something, but my google-fu is failing and I can't find anything on it. Anyone know what I'm talking about?

You are note alone.
    Aistan wrote: »
    There's also that "kids laughing in the background at a playground" sound clip that always jumps out at me whenever it's used.

This one is really annoying. Very grating on the ears, stupid kids having fun.

I have noticed that The Walking Dead has used many of the same sound effects as those in the Half Life series. This is a board populated by nerds of all kinds, I am sure someone else has noticed!

Muse Among Men on