As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

The Wilhelm Scream and other in-jokes

• Options
    TaminTamin Registered User regular
    edited January 2011
    While I was watching Mobile Suit Gundam, I kept hearing the steam IM chime.

I don't think it's quite the same noise, but it is very similar, and very distracting.

Tamin on
  • Options
    seasleepyseasleepy Registered User regular
    edited January 2011
    Honk wrote: »
    Podly wrote: »
    Thomamelas wrote: »
    they're probably just filled with lorem ipsum too

I'm trying to track down one of the HD shots of it, but it actually does have text rather then standard lorem ipsum filler.

maybe the headlines, but I'd be really surprised if the main text weren't greeked

moar like latin-ed.

Greeking is actually the term for using lorem ipsum (and also for altering corporate logos for tv/movies, making it say things like Cola Cola or Pipsi).

Also, while looking up greeking I found a whole bunch of pictures of that one newspaper that everyone reads.

seasleepy on
    Steam | Nintendo: seasleepy | PSN: seasleepy1
  • Options
    DraculaDracula DARCUL DAS WAMPY Registered User regular
    edited January 2011
    There is a police radio sound that is used in tons of stuff. It's a woman saying something you can't quite make out. I've heard it so many times.

Dracula on
  • Options
    joshofalltradesjoshofalltrades Class Traitor Smoke-filled roomRegistered User regular
    edited January 2011
    Dracula wrote: »
    There is a police radio sound that is used in tons of stuff. It's a woman saying something you can't quite make out. I've heard it so many times.

Oh yes. I know what you're talking about.

joshofalltrades on
  • Options
    SenjutsuSenjutsu thot enthusiast Registered User regular
    edited January 2011
    There's also an electrical-thing-on-the-fritz noise that I first heard in Bungie's Marathon that shows up everywhere

Senjutsu on
  • Options
    PwnanObrienPwnanObrien He's right, life sucks. Registered User regular
    edited January 2011
    Dracula wrote: »

Oh yes. I know what you're talking about.

I posted it on the first page. It's part of a longer sound clip that's used in everything.

PwnanObrien on
    Mwx884o.jpg
  • Options
    Thor1590Thor1590 Registered User regular
    edited January 2011
    I started noticing the Perfect Dark alarm noise being used in every movie ever.

Thor1590 on
  • Options
    RikushixRikushix VancouverRegistered User regular
    edited January 2011
    Aistan wrote: »
    There's also that "kids laughing in the background at a playground" sound clip that always jumps out at me whenever it's used.

I know exactly what you mean. Even when I was a kid, I would notice this on Magic School Bus all the time. It was terrible.

Even worse is what I found when I turned to google for it.

http://www.audionetwork.com/show-effect-results.aspx?stype=4&keywords=children+laughing

Click on that, and listen to the second link: "Man And Woman Attempting To Laugh Like Children, Though With Limited Success"

Who on Earth records these things?

Rikushix on
    StKbT.jpg
  • Options
    ReznikReznik Registered User regular
    edited January 2011
    I first noticed this particular pig noise in Warcraft 2, when you click on the critter pigs and they make that kind of 3 syllable oink. I swear I've heard it a bunch more times in other games, and possibly in TV shows as well.

Reznik on
    Do... Re.... Mi... Ti... La...
    Do... Re... Mi... So... Fa.... Do... Re.... Do...
    Forget it...
  • Options
    GreasyKidsStuffGreasyKidsStuff MOMMM! ROAST BEEF WANTS TO KISS GIRLS ON THE TITTIES!Registered User regular
    edited January 2011
    I heard the Wilhelm scream while playing Vanquish last week, it got a :D out of me. I enjoy hearing it and picking up on it.

GreasyKidsStuff on
  • Options
    mrt144mrt144 King of the Numbernames Registered User regular
    edited January 2011
    Doom Imp is one

mrt144 on
  • Options
    KalTorakKalTorak One way or another, they all end up in the Undercity.Registered User regular
    edited January 2011
    There's a certain "glass-breaking" noise that gets re-used a lot, I always notice it. Also a "crowd gasp" noise.

KalTorak on
  • Options
    KlatuKlatu Aussie Aussie Aussie Oi Oi OiRegistered User regular
    edited January 2011
    Ahh, so that's what that scream is called. I've heard it around, but never knew what it was called.

I heard it most recently again in Human Target s02e01 when someone gets thrown out of a cable car... and I think Psych has used it recently too.

Klatu on
    Steam id:Klatu - PS id: Klatu_PA - 3DS FC: 0920-0528-6680
  • Options
    PwnanObrienPwnanObrien He's right, life sucks. Registered User regular
    edited January 2011
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=O47UY80VKfo

Listen very closely at the end.

God I wish that would get put into more scenes of crowds screaming.

PwnanObrien on
    Mwx884o.jpg
  • Options
    RikushixRikushix VancouverRegistered User regular
    edited January 2011
    Sounded like a bird of prey.

Rikushix on
    StKbT.jpg
  • Options
    jungleroomxjungleroomx It's never too many graves, it's always not enough shovels Registered User regular
    edited January 2011
    The menu sound in XCOM is everywhere.

Everyfuckingwhere.

jungleroomx on
  • Options
    matt has a problemmatt has a problem Points to 'off' Points to 'on'Registered User regular
    edited January 2011
    KalTorak wrote: »
    There's a certain "glass-breaking" noise that gets re-used a lot, I always notice it.
    The one used in the original Goldeneye game does. So does the one in the old DOS game Crusader.

matt has a problem on
    nibXTE7.png
  • Options
    EchoEcho ski-bap ba-dapModerator mod
    edited January 2011
    There was a whole lot of stock sound effects used in games in the 90s.

There's that double-swoosh rocket launcher sound from Doom as well.

Echo on
  • Options
    EgoEgo Registered User regular
    edited January 2011
    One I always notice is, generally in 'desolate' shots, they play this set of background 'music' that's... I don't know, maybe it's supposed to sound like electrical transformers alternating pitch or something. Reminds me of cicadas a bit.

But you hear it often in The Walking Dead, and I last heard it on The Abyss in the scene where they're towing the rig into place. But it's all over the damned place.

I'll see if I can dig up a clip of it...

edit: pretty sure it shows up often in Breaking Bad, too, in the desert scenes.

Ego on
    Erik
  • Options
    DarkPrimusDarkPrimus Registered User regular
    edited January 2011
    And here's an awesome mini-documentary on the amen break, perhaps the most sampled drum beat ever

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5SaFTm2bcac

God damn the number of songs...

DarkPrimus on
  • Options
    KalTorakKalTorak One way or another, they all end up in the Undercity.Registered User regular
    edited January 2011
    Ego wrote: »
    One I always notice is, generally in 'desolate' shots, they play this set of background 'music' that's... I don't know, maybe it's supposed to sound like electrical transformers alternating pitch or something. Reminds me of cicadas a bit.

But you hear it often in The Walking Dead, and I last heard it on The Abyss in the scene where they're towing the rig into place. But it's all over the damned place.

I'll see if I can dig up a clip of it...

edit: pretty sure it shows up often in Breaking Bad, too, in the desert scenes.

Seems like desolate shots also always have that slow, single crow-cawing sound.

KalTorak on
  • Options
    EgoEgo Registered User regular
    edited January 2011
    I actually went hunting for that sound in a bunch of shows I was talking about (even watching the abyss on the scene I swear it had it) and couldn't find it. I wish it were easier to describe so I could be certain I'm not insane.

it's just a sequence of about five electronic tones that are sort of disharmonious. It's generally subtle. It sounds very electronic. That's as good as I can do :|.

Ego on
    Erik
  • Options
    PopeTiberiiPopeTiberii Registered User regular
    edited January 2011
    Reznik wrote: »
    I first noticed this particular pig noise in Warcraft 2, when you click on the critter pigs and they make that kind of 3 syllable oink. I swear I've heard it a bunch more times in other games, and possibly in TV shows as well.

Yes! I notice this one all the time. I've heard it in TV shows, movies, games, you name it.

There's that one scream that irritates the hell out of me every time I hear it, though, and it's not the Wilhelm scream. It's the one at the end of the 'Aaaaah! Real Monsters' intro music. I've also heard it in Broken Arrow and a bunch of other movies and shows. It's so distinct and noticeable I have no idea why any sound guy would ever use it unless he wanted to get some laughs...

PopeTiberii on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    BallmanBallman Registered User regular
    edited January 2011
    There's another scream that I hear a lot, and after reading the thread, I think it might have been mentioned already, but I don't know what its name is. It's the sound effect that plays in Starcraft 1 when you click on the terran academy. It's like someone yelling "YYEEEEEAAAAHHHH!"

Ballman on
  • Options
    MentalExerciseMentalExercise Indefenestrable Registered User regular
    edited January 2011
    It's not exactly an in joke, but I'm surprised no one has mentioned director Alan Smithee.

MentalExercise on
    "More fish for Kunta!"

--LeVar Burton
  • Options
    proXimityproXimity Registered User regular
    edited January 2011

Listen very closely at the end.

God I wish that would get put into more scenes of crowds screaming.

Is that... Howard Dean's scream?

proXimity on
    camo_sig2.png
  • Options
    ElJeffeElJeffe Moderator, ClubPA mod
    edited January 2011
    The one that always bugged me was the Generic Video Game Being Played sound that was used in pretty much every movie during the 80s and 90s whenever someone was playing a game. I'm not positive of the origin, but I think it's from the Atari 2600 version of Pac-Man, or something similar. It's something really oldschool.

But it was used for almost every game ever shown. Some kid would be playing a racing game on their PlayStation and all you hear is WAKKAWAKKAWAKKAWAKKAWAKKA.

ElJeffe on
    I submitted an entry to Lego Ideas, and if 10,000 people support me, it'll be turned into an actual Lego set!If you'd like to see and support my submission, follow this link.
  • Options
    AngelHedgieAngelHedgie Registered User regular
    edited January 2011
    Tamin wrote: »
    While I was watching Mobile Suit Gundam, I kept hearing the steam IM chime.

I don't think it's quite the same noise, but it is very similar, and very distracting.

You're probably referring to the Newtype Flash. Which is actually rather memetic in anime.

AngelHedgie on
    XBL: Nox Aeternum / PSN: NoxAeternum / NN:NoxAeternum / Steam: noxaeternum
  • Options
    BackstopBackstop Registered User regular
    edited January 2011

There's that one scream that irritates the hell out of me every time I hear it, though, and it's not the Wilhelm scream. It's the one at the end of the 'Aaaaah! Real Monsters' intro music. I've also heard it in Broken Arrow and a bunch of other movies and shows. It's so distinct and noticeable I have no idea why any sound guy would ever use it unless he wanted to get some laughs...

It was posted on page 2 of the thread in youtube form. It seems to be titled "gut-wrenching with fall" but the video calls it "Youraagh"

And the bird screech noise they always play is called "red-tailed hawk", there's a list of these on Wikipedia.

Backstop on
  • Options
    JebusUDJebusUD Adventure! Candy IslandRegistered User regular
    edited January 2011
    Notice how every truck going by in those "Worlds blankediest police blank" has the same Doppler effect horn sound?

and every car turning sharp has the same tire screech?

JebusUD on
    and I wonder about my neighbors even though I don't have them
    but they're listening to every word I say
  • Options
    VariableVariable Mouth Congress Stroke Me Lady FameRegistered User regular
    edited January 2011
    Ballman wrote: »
    There's another scream that I hear a lot, and after reading the thread, I think it might have been mentioned already, but I don't know what its name is. It's the sound effect that plays in Starcraft 1 when you click on the terran academy. It's like someone yelling "YYEEEEEAAAAHHHH!"

yeah I mentioned it

I don't know the name but it's out there

Variable on
    BNet-Vari#1998 | Switch-SW 6960 6688 8388 | Steam | Twitch
  • Options
    matt has a problemmatt has a problem Points to 'off' Points to 'on'Registered User regular
    edited January 2011
    ElJeffe wrote: »
    The one that always bugged me was the Generic Video Game Being Played sound that was used in pretty much every movie during the 80s and 90s whenever someone was playing a game. I'm not positive of the origin, but I think it's from the Atari 2600 version of Pac-Man, or something similar. It's something really oldschool.

But it was used for almost every game ever shown. Some kid would be playing a racing game on their PlayStation and all you hear is WAKKAWAKKAWAKKAWAKKAWAKKA.
    If it's the one I'm thinking of, it's Donkey Kong on the 2600.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SbUL3KUkLH4

matt has a problem on
    nibXTE7.png
  • Options
    ThomamelasThomamelas Only one man can kill this many Russians. Bring his guitar to me! Registered User regular
    edited January 2011
    John Carpenter slipped a joke into the credits of Assault on Precinct 13.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EtUfV0REV2k

Around 56 seconds or so, you'll see the editing was done by a fellow named John T. Chance. John T. Chance is the Sheriff, played by John Wayne, in Rio Bravo. Rio Bravo was the film that inspired Assault on Precinct 13.

Thomamelas on
  • Options
    ElJeffeElJeffe Moderator, ClubPA mod
    edited January 2011
    ElJeffe wrote: »

If it's the one I'm thinking of, it's Donkey Kong on the 2600.

Yep, that's it!

Nothing builds immersion more than watching some kid play state-of-the-art video games with the sound effects from 30 years ago.

ElJeffe on
    I submitted an entry to Lego Ideas, and if 10,000 people support me, it'll be turned into an actual Lego set!If you'd like to see and support my submission, follow this link.
  • Options
    edited January 2011
    JebusUD wrote: »
    Notice how every truck going by in those "Worlds blankediest police blank" has the same Doppler effect horn sound?

Hoonnk Honk-Hooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooonk..

Every time. Without fail. It must be some trucker morse code.

PopeTiberii on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    DasUberEdwardDasUberEdward Registered User regular
    edited January 2011
    Every car that stops has squealing breaks.

Every. Car. Ever.

DasUberEdward on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    DarkPrimusDarkPrimus Registered User regular
    edited January 2011

Every. Car. Ever.

How do you know they're braking otherwise?

DarkPrimus on
  • Options
    joshofalltradesjoshofalltrades Class Traitor Smoke-filled roomRegistered User regular
    edited January 2011
    I mentioned Tarantino earlier but didn't elaborate much. One of the things that I do immediately after watching a new Tarantino flick is check the IMDB page for trivia, because there are always a crapload of homages, in-jokes and just plain fun things to know about his movies.

Kill Bill has a really long page of them. One of the things that isn't on there is when Daryl Hannah's character puts her finger under Uma Thurman's nose to check her breathing. It's the sort of thing you wouldn't really notice, but apparently is an homage to many of Tarantino's favorite flicks, particularly kung fu. Also, it was very common for Tarantino to ask his actors to do a "Hello Sally" take, which just meant an actor/actress would finish their take, look directly at the camera, wave and yell, "Hello, Sally!" Sally is the name of the person editing the film, and undoubtedly had to deal with hundreds of these takes of people greeting her.

joshofalltrades on
  • Options
    DasUberEdwardDasUberEdward Registered User regular
    edited January 2011
    DarkPrimus wrote: »

Every. Car. Ever.

How do you know they're braking otherwise?

I know that's the standard response.

I guess because the car stopped moving. Beats me. It's just grating.

DasUberEdward on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    edited January 2011
    Also, it was very common for Tarantino to ask his actors to do a "Hello Sally" take, which just meant an actor/actress would finish their take, look directly at the camera, wave and yell, "Hello, Sally!" Sally is the name of the person editing the film, and undoubtedly had to deal with hundreds of these takes of people greeting her.

My god, that's hilarious. :lol:

PopeTiberii on
    steam_sig.png