As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

The Wilhelm Scream and other in-jokes

• Options
    HappylilElfHappylilElf Registered User regular
    edited January 2011
    Also, it was very common for Tarantino to ask his actors to do a "Hello Sally" take, which just meant an actor/actress would finish their take, look directly at the camera, wave and yell, "Hello, Sally!" Sally is the name of the person editing the film, and undoubtedly had to deal with hundreds of these takes of people greeting her.

My god, that's hilarious. :lol:

Extremely :lol:

HappylilElf on
  • Options
    Johnny ChopsockyJohnny Chopsocky Scootaloo! We have to cook! Grillin' HaysenburgersRegistered User regular
    edited January 2011
    Also, it was very common for Tarantino to ask his actors to do a "Hello Sally" take, which just meant an actor/actress would finish their take, look directly at the camera, wave and yell, "Hello, Sally!" Sally is the name of the person editing the film, and undoubtedly had to deal with hundreds of these takes of people greeting her.

Hello Sally!
    Inglorious is the last time you'll see that, though. Sadly, Sally Menke, the Sally in question, died last year.

Johnny Chopsocky on
    ygPIJ.gif
    Steam ID XBL: JohnnyChopsocky PSN:Stud_Beefpile WiiU:JohnnyChopsocky
  • Options
    OptyOpty Registered User regular
    edited January 2011
    GiantBomb has a page on the Wilhelm scream being used in games.

The main reason these are reused so often is because it's often cheaper/quicker to buy a sound effects license than to make new sound effects in house.

Opty on
  • Options
    HonkHonk Honk is this poster. Registered User, __BANNED USERS regular
    edited January 2011
    JebusUD wrote: »
    Notice how every truck going by in those "Worlds blankediest police blank" has the same Doppler effect horn sound?

Hoonnk Honk-Hooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooonk..

You rang.

Honk on
    PSN: Honkalot
  • Options
    joshofalltradesjoshofalltrades Class Traitor Smoke-filled roomRegistered User regular
    edited January 2011

Hello Sally!
    Inglorious is the last time you'll see that, though. Sadly, Sally Menke, the Sally in question, died last year.

I didn't realize there was actual video of this! This is hilarious!

But also really sad to hear about Sally :cry:

joshofalltrades on
  • Options
    PopeTiberiiPopeTiberii Registered User regular
    edited January 2011
    Honk wrote: »
    JebusUD wrote: »
    Notice how every truck going by in those "Worlds blankediest police blank" has the same Doppler effect horn sound?

Hoonnk Honk-Hooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooonk..

You rang.

<3

PopeTiberii on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    VariableVariable Mouth Congress Stroke Me Lady FameRegistered User regular
    edited January 2011
    so earlier myself and someone else mentioned a scream, YYYEEEAAAAAAAAAAAAHHHH!

I mentioned to a friend (who I think I referenced in my post) and he instantly said 'Oh, the Howie Scream'

it is so named for its use in Broken Arrow when Howie Long's character is kicked from a train

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hf6_hok4-lo

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=49sPDziuO84

Variable on
    BNet-Vari#1998 | Switch-SW 6960 6688 8388 | Steam | Twitch
  • Options
    darksteeldarksteel Registered User regular
    edited January 2011
    The sound that warping in Protoss buildings makes in Starcraft 1. I know I've heard that everywhere, especially when there's some kind of electrical surge or something similar.

darksteel on
    shikisig6-1.jpg
  • Options
    Fraa JadFraa Jad Registered User regular
    edited January 2011
    Who Sampled is a great site that catalogs samples in songs, with examples of all of them.

Fraa Jad on
  • Options
    kikuchiyokikuchiyo Registered User regular
    edited January 2011
    Lucas and Spielberg are always throwing the number 1138 into their productions (THX-1138 was one of Lucas' early films). It was the fake cell block number that Luke uses in a bluff in Episode IV, it's written on the chalk board in the opening credits of Pinky and the Brain (Spielberg was a producer or something), it was on a license plate in American Graffiti ... and that's all I can remember off the top of my head.

I'll add more references if I can find them.

kikuchiyo on
  • Options
    edited January 2011
    Variable wrote: »

I mentioned to a friend (who I think I referenced in my post) and he instantly said 'Oh, the Howie Scream'

it is so named for its use in Broken Arrow when Howie Long's character is kicked from a train

snip

Ugh. That's the one. And it's terrible.

PopeTiberii on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    kikuchiyokikuchiyo Registered User regular
    edited January 2011
    kikuchiyo wrote: »
    I'll add more references if I can find them.

Look here for more references than you'll ever need.

kikuchiyo on
  • Options
    VariableVariable Mouth Congress Stroke Me Lady FameRegistered User regular
    edited January 2011

snip

Ugh. That's the one. And it's terrible.

terrible at being bad, maybe

Variable on
    BNet-Vari#1998 | Switch-SW 6960 6688 8388 | Steam | Twitch
  • Options
    Disco11Disco11 Registered User regular
    edited January 2011

Hello Sally!

It's crazy when you think she edited every one of his movies. she must have seen thousands of those hello Sally takes.

Disco11 on
    PSN: Canadian_llama
  • Options
    Donkey KongDonkey Kong Putting Nintendo out of business with AI nips Registered User regular
    edited January 2011
    I have got to find that clip of children laughing that you hear everywhere constantly. It ends with a really distinctive rhythm that catches my attention every time.

Donkey Kong on
    Thousands of hot, local singles are waiting to play at bubbulon.com.
  • Options
    DemerdarDemerdar Registered User regular
    edited January 2011

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hf6_hok4-lo

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=49sPDziuO84

It's seriously called the "Howie Scream"?

Awesome, because that's the movie scene I instantly think of when I hear that YEAAAAAAAAAAAAAAUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH.

Demerdar on
    y6GGs3o.gif
  • Options
    RentRent I'm always right Fuckin' deal with itRegistered User regular
    edited January 2011
    Rent on
  • Options
    AngelHedgieAngelHedgie Registered User regular
    edited January 2011
    Rent wrote: »

When you refuse to own up to the steaming pole of cinema you've dropped into the punchbowl of modern film.

AngelHedgie on
    XBL: Nox Aeternum / PSN: NoxAeternum / NN:NoxAeternum / Steam: noxaeternum
  • Options
    RoyceSraphimRoyceSraphim Registered User regular
    edited January 2011
    I just spent valuable game time looking at Pulp Fiction's trivia page, thanks to this thread.

I learned that Tarantino helped with the comic book argument in Crimson Tide.

Then I read this at the bottom of the non-spoiler content about Uma Thurman's character
    IMDB wrote:
    Most likely unintentionally, Mia's character of Raven McCoy on her pilot for Fox Force Five is related to three characters of the X-Men series. The name Raven can be derived from Raven Darkholme, the real name of "Mystique" while the surname McCoy is the last name of the character "Beast" whose real name is Hank McCoy. Also, Mia describes her character as having been raised by circus performers, the same upbringing as Kurt Wagner aka "Nightcrawler". Ironically all three characters are blue.

RoyceSraphim on
  • Options
    BiopticBioptic Registered User regular
    edited January 2011
    KalTorak wrote: »
    Ego wrote: »
    One I always notice is, generally in 'desolate' shots, they play this set of background 'music' that's... I don't know, maybe it's supposed to sound like electrical transformers alternating pitch or something. Reminds me of cicadas a bit.

But you hear it often in The Walking Dead, and I last heard it on The Abyss in the scene where they're towing the rig into place. But it's all over the damned place.

I'll see if I can dig up a clip of it...

edit: pretty sure it shows up often in Breaking Bad, too, in the desert scenes.

Seems like desolate shots also always have that slow, single crow-cawing sound.

The Simpsons made it a point of principle (and probably still do to this day) to insert that sample into every single establishing shot of the Nuclear Power Plant ever. And it works - at some subtle level, it reinforces hostily and desolation in your mind.

Bioptic on
  • Options
    BackstopBackstop Registered User regular
    edited January 2011
    Every Pixar movie has a brief shot of a Pizza Planet delivery truck.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wY-HhL1EDjA

The Incredibles truck can be seen in the background when Frozone freezes Dash in mid-air, but it's as hard to pick out as Rataouille.

Backstop on
  • Options
    GodfatherGodfather Registered User regular
    edited January 2011
    Pizza planet!

Godfather on
  • Options
    joshofalltradesjoshofalltrades Class Traitor Smoke-filled roomRegistered User regular
    edited January 2011
    I knew the Pizza Planet truck was in every Toy Story, but I had no idea it was in every Pixar flick ever.

joshofalltrades on
  • Options
    jclastjclast Registered User regular
    edited January 2011
    My wife and I have been watching a lot of Star Trek: TNG lately, and I swear the sound used for holodeck and cargo bay doors is recycled a ton.

And I know Futurama uses the TNG regular door sound a lot, but I assume that it's intentional there.

jclast on
    camo_sig2.png
  • Options
    edited January 2011
    Yeah the Space Quest games also sampled a crapton of Star Trek stuff. In fact that whole series is basically a Star Trek in-joke with a few Star Wars/Aliens/other sci-fi movies thrown in.

joshofalltrades on
  • Options
    ToldoToldo But actually, WeegianRegistered User regular
    edited January 2011
    There's an "angry cat noise" somewhere between a hiss and a growl. You know you've heard it before.

Toldo on
  • Options
    ShaggyShaggy Registered User regular
    edited January 2011
    ElJeffe wrote: »
    The one that always bugged me was the Generic Video Game Being Played sound that was used in pretty much every movie during the 80s and 90s whenever someone was playing a game. I'm not positive of the origin, but I think it's from the Atari 2600 version of Pac-Man, or something similar. It's something really oldschool.

But it was used for almost every game ever shown. Some kid would be playing a racing game on their PlayStation and all you hear is WAKKAWAKKAWAKKAWAKKAWAKKA.
    If it's the one I'm thinking of, it's Donkey Kong on the 2600.

Yep, that's it!

Nothing builds immersion more than watching some kid play state-of-the-art video games with the sound effects from 30 years ago.

Does anyone know if there is a reason they do this and they don't just use the actual sound from the game? One that I always made me laugh is in Charlie's Angels when there are two kids playing Final Fantasy 8 but it has generic sound effects. Plus two players. There was also an episode of Dexter I just watched where he was playing one of the Halos on a PC and it also had some generic sound effects. Also he was playing only using a keyboard.

Shaggy on
  • Options
    matt has a problemmatt has a problem Points to 'off' Points to 'on'Registered User regular
    edited January 2011
    Shaggy wrote: »
    The one that always bugged me was the Generic Video Game Being Played sound that was used in pretty much every movie during the 80s and 90s whenever someone was playing a game. I'm not positive of the origin, but I think it's from the Atari 2600 version of Pac-Man, or something similar. It's something really oldschool.

But it was used for almost every game ever shown. Some kid would be playing a racing game on their PlayStation and all you hear is WAKKAWAKKAWAKKAWAKKAWAKKA.
    If it's the one I'm thinking of, it's Donkey Kong on the 2600.

Yep, that's it!

Nothing builds immersion more than watching some kid play state-of-the-art video games with the sound effects from 30 years ago.

Does anyone know if there is a reason they do this and they don't just use the actual sound from the game? One that I always made me laugh is in Charlie's Angels when there are two kids playing Final Fantasy 8 but it has generic sound effects. Plus two players. There was also an episode of Dexter I just watched where he was playing one of the Halos on a PC and it also had some generic sound effects. Also he was playing only using a keyboard.
    Probably something to do with Atari going under, and someone in the industry snapping up the rights for the sound effects for cheap. That or simply because, in the 80's, they were pretty universally recognized as "video game sounds".

matt has a problem on
    nibXTE7.png
  • Options
    edited January 2011
    That's really pretty much it. Unless a video game is inherently important to the story, all you need to know plotwise is that somebody is playing a video game. For us gamers, it's immersion-breaking, for everybody else they could not give even half a shit.

joshofalltrades on
  • Options
    Raiden333Raiden333 Registered User regular
    edited January 2011
    Raiden333 on
    There was a steam sig here. It's gone now.
  • Options
    VestyVesty Registered User regular
    edited January 2011
    I knew the Pizza Planet truck was in every Toy Story, but I had no idea it was in every Pixar flick ever.

Pixar throws a lot of references to their other movies in each film. Often there's something hidden relating to a film down the line as well since they're all being produced at the same time. Similar to the 1138 for Lucas and Speilberg you'll see A113 in every Pixar movie and in a lot of animated films / tv shows in general. It is a reference to classroom A113 at Cal Arts where a lot of the big names in animation went to school.

Vesty on
  • Options
    NotYouNotYou Registered User regular
    edited January 2011
    I fucking hate the wilhelm scream. I learned about it in a stupid sound design class and now every single fucking time I hear it, it completely takes me out of the movie. It has ruined countless action scenes for me. I hate it so much.

NotYou on
  • Options
    tehmarkentehmarken BrooklynRegistered User regular
    edited January 2011
    While not exactly an in-joke, the yellow-orange & blue color scheme is one of the most used in design. I remember seeing an image with a compilation of video game boxart, and it was ridiculous. And once you realize it, every time you see the color combo you just think "God dammit, there it is again! Dam you Mass Effect cover!"

edit:
    Found it! It's also recurring in film posters.
    eTDM4.jpg

tehmarken on
  • Options
    CadeCade Eppur si muove.Registered User regular
    edited January 2011
    Oh it's even worse for movie posters.

Behold! Though the ME example is there as well.

And yes this is done because:
    orange/blue just so happens to be the most common set of complementary colors because blue is “cool” and orange is “enthusiastic” and “energetic.”

Cade on
  • Options
    edited January 2011
    I learned about it in a color theory class a while ago, but they never told us just how often it's used. It is a very pretty combination, but holy crap it really is overused.

PopeTiberii on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    tehmarkentehmarken BrooklynRegistered User regular
    edited January 2011
    After I learned about it, the first thing I noticed was our very own beloved Penny Arcade site.

I almost punched a hole in my monitor.

tehmarken on
  • Options
    edited January 2011
    tehmarken wrote: »
    After I learned about it, the first thing I noticed was our very own beloved Penny Arcade site.

I almost punched a hole in my monitor.

Quick, don't look at your signature pic..

PopeTiberii on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    November FifthNovember Fifth Registered User regular
    edited January 2011
    There is a stock soundbyte in a Queensryche album that is in a ton of hospital scenes.

It goes something like "Telephone please, Dr. Davis, telephone, please. Dr. Blair, Dr. Blair. Dr. J. Hamilton, Dr. J. Hamiltion"

November Fifth on
  • Options
    BackstopBackstop Registered User regular
    edited January 2011
    I just heard the Wilhelm scream in "Dirty Jobs" last night. When Dog is cutting down the trees and drops one almost on top of the guys holding the rope it's there.

Go here and watch "a small snag", and it's at roughly 1:18.

Backstop on
  • Options
    CommunistCowCommunistCow Abstract Metal ThingyRegistered User regular
    edited January 2011
    In Doctor Strange Love the name of the encrypted radio discriminator was CRM-114. I noticed in a Heros episode that Hiro found his sword in case "CRM-114". It was also in Doc Brown's lab in Back to the Future.

CommunistCow on
    No, I am not really communist. Yes, it is weird that I use this name.