As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Isaac [chat]imov

• Options
    SenjutsuSenjutsu thot enthusiast Registered User regular
    edited January 2011
    Seattle is lousy with utilikilts

it is a city-wide embarrassment

Senjutsu on
  • Options
    JacobkoshJacobkosh Gamble a stamp. I can show you how to be a real man!Moderator mod
    edited January 2011
    moniker wrote: »
    Asimov has been one of my favorite authors for about a decade, though I haven't read any of his stuff in quite a while.

Yeah, the Foundation stuff totally helped shape how I view the world. For better or worse. Hopefully the former.

What I like about Foundation and about Asimov in general is that it is a very warm, humanist work. I mean the writing and characters are vintage 30s pulp but the attitude that shines through is this very wonderful, kind of Yiddish outlook about embracing life and humanity with all its foibles and flaws. It stands in sharp contrast with a lot of other science fiction that feels written in a spirit of spiteful misanthropy ("one day everything will be different and we rocket scientists/geneticists/hackers will rule you cattle!").

Jacobkosh on
  • Options
    EchoEcho ski-bap ba-dapModerator mod
    edited January 2011
    This album has the worstest mixing.

Echo on
  • Options
    Silas BrownSilas Brown That's hobo style. Registered User regular
    edited January 2011
    Just turned in my leave slip to the boss. Going to Seattle in March. Yesssss

Silas Brown on
  • Options
    edited January 2011
    Probability of a framed printout of the wiccan rede hanging on her bedroom wall?

High.

Senjutsu on
  • Options
    RentRent I'm always right Fuckin' deal with itRegistered User regular
    edited January 2011
    Man I sure have forgotten a lot about lping

damn

Rent on
  • Options
    PreacherPreacher Registered User regular
    edited January 2011
    One of the enforcers at the charity dinner a couple years back was wearing the utilikilt with that that little blade thing? I was embarrased to talk to him.

Preacher on
    I would like some money because these are artisanal nuggets of wisdom philistine.

pleasepaypreacher.net
  • Options
    JacobkoshJacobkosh Gamble a stamp. I can show you how to be a real man!Moderator mod
    edited January 2011
    holy shit Feral

let it all out

Jacobkosh on
  • Options
    MikeManMikeMan Registered User regular
    edited January 2011
    so i paid 70 dollars for this chemistry "textbook" that wasn't sold anywhere other than the NC state bookstore... and what they sent me was literally just a binder with the textbook in sheets inside

it's been two weeks and already several pages are ripping out

on top of that, the online portion of the class requires you to re-purchase an electronic version of the same book
    that i will never use

for another 70 dollars

wheeeeee

MikeMan on
  • Options
    Styrofoam SammichStyrofoam Sammich WANT. normal (not weird)Registered User regular
    edited January 2011
    Senjutsu wrote: »

I think the word you're looking for here is scourge.

Styrofoam Sammich on
    wq09t4opzrlc.jpg
  • Options
    Fuzzy Cumulonimbus CloudFuzzy Cumulonimbus Cloud Registered User regular
    edited January 2011
    Feral wrote: »
    Preacher wrote: »
    Sword twirly girl is attractive, but she's got a creepy intensity to her, and on top of that appears to be dressed in cosplay, so she's definately a nutter.

I bet her boyfriend is 25 years her senior and regularly wears a utilikilt.

Also, I bet all of her furniture is hand-me-down but she owns the completed works of Terry Goodkind.
    hehehehe

Fuzzy Cumulonimbus Cloud on
  • Options
    AngelHedgieAngelHedgie Registered User regular
    edited January 2011
    jacobkosh wrote: »
    Asimov has been one of my favorite authors for about a decade, though I haven't read any of his stuff in quite a while.

Yeah, the Foundation stuff totally helped shape how I view the world. For better or worse. Hopefully the former.

What I like about Foundation and about Asimov in general is that it is a very warm, humanist work. I mean the writing and characters are vintage 30s pulp but the attitude that shines through is this very wonderful, kind of Yiddish outlook about embracing life and humanity with all its foibles and flaws. It stands in sharp contrast with a lot of other science fiction that feels written in a spirit of spiteful misanthropy ("one day everything will be different and we rocket scientists/geneticists/hackers will rule you cattle!").

That explains why I preferred him over Heinlein.

AngelHedgie on
    XBL: Nox Aeternum / PSN: NoxAeternum / NN:NoxAeternum / Steam: noxaeternum
  • Options
    RiemannLivesRiemannLives Registered User regular
    edited January 2011
    Asimov on Shakespeare (all 1000+ pages of it) and Asimov On Numbers are both very good.

Just stay away from this late sci-fi period (eg: after he stopped writing sci-fi in favor of other subjects for 20 years then came back to it).

Like Heinlein, he really degenerated later on.

RiemannLives on
    Attacked by tweeeeeeees!
  • Options
    edited January 2011
    MikeMan wrote: »
    so i paid 70 dollars for this chemistry "textbook" that wasn't sold anywhere other than the NC state bookstore... and what they sent me was literally just a binder with the textbook in sheets inside

on top of that, the online portion of the class requires you to re-purchase an electronic version of the same book
    that i will never use

for another 70 dollars

wheeeeee

textbooks are a crazy scam

although when we had printed course packs like that they tended to be cheap

Senjutsu on
  • Options
    edited January 2011
    She probably goes by the name Bianca, but her real first name is like Amy.

Preacher on
    I would like some money because these are artisanal nuggets of wisdom philistine.

pleasepaypreacher.net
  • Options
    AriviaArivia I Like A Challenge Earth-1Registered User regular
    edited January 2011

welp I know what I need to get for March

Arivia on
    huntresssig.jpg
  • Options
    Fuzzy Cumulonimbus CloudFuzzy Cumulonimbus Cloud Registered User regular
    edited January 2011

that i will never use

for another 70 dollars

wheeeeee
    if you need to access like mastering chemistry or something
    or the online portion of a book
    I think you can now buy them separately
    I think that law got passed that requires publishers to do so
    also go bitch to your professor about it
    seriously

Fuzzy Cumulonimbus Cloud on
  • Options
    ElkiElki get busy Moderator, ClubPA mod
    edited January 2011
    Feral wrote: »
    She owns more than three species of pets, one of which lives in a tank that hasn't been cleaned in three months.

She spends half the year preparing for Ren Faire and the other half of the year recovering from Ren Faire.

Her 1993 Corolla has bumper stickers reading "Blessed Be" and "Not All Who Wander Are Lost." At least one of those stickers in printed in Papyrus.

Her D&D character has more work experience than she does.

Good evening!

Elki on
    smCQ5WE.jpg
  • Options
    edited January 2011

that i will never use

for another 70 dollars

wheeeeee

fuck that shit so hard

after you're safely out of class I would buttonhole that professor in a hallway and ream the shit out of him, frankly

Jacobkosh on
  • Options
    edited January 2011

Man what? Have you read Have Spacesuit Will Travel? Red Planet? Even Stranger In A Strange Land (for all it turns to shit in the last 1/4) in no way fits with what jacob is talking about.

And no, neither does Starship Troopers.

RiemannLives on
    Attacked by tweeeeeeees!
  • Options
    edited January 2011

No, the scourge is what we want to use on them.

AngelHedgie on
  • Options
    FeralFeral MEMETICHARIZARD interior crocodile alligator ⇔ ǝɹʇɐǝɥʇ ǝᴉʌoɯ ʇǝloɹʌǝɥɔ ɐ ǝʌᴉɹp ᴉRegistered User regular
    edited January 2011

playgu

Feral on
    every person who doesn't like an acquired taste always seems to think everyone who likes it is faking it. it should be an official fallacy.

the "no true scotch man" fallacy.
  • Options
    edited January 2011
    also to go back to that video, she is grabbing the damn blade with her hands while twirling it

I don't believe this is an effective combat technique

Senjutsu on
  • Options
    edited January 2011
    also also the fusion of celtic and metal is unholy in my eyes

Senjutsu on
  • Options
    edited January 2011
    also to go back to that video, she is grabbing the damn blade with her hands while twirling it

I refuse to watch the video, but is this the kind of sword that has an unsharpened part just above the gaurds so you can grab it there for extra leverage if need be?

RiemannLives on
    Attacked by tweeeeeeees!
  • Options
    Styrofoam SammichStyrofoam Sammich WANT. normal (not weird)Registered User regular
    edited January 2011

Kilt King, Lord of the Scourge, with his dread blade, Pantsmourne.

Styrofoam Sammich on
    wq09t4opzrlc.jpg
  • Options
    edited January 2011

I don't think having a vagina is an effective combat technique senj.

And the US military backs me up there.

Preacher on

pleasepaypreacher.net
  • Options
    FeralFeral MEMETICHARIZARD interior crocodile alligator ⇔ ǝɹʇɐǝɥʇ ǝᴉʌoɯ ʇǝloɹʌǝɥɔ ɐ ǝʌᴉɹp ᴉRegistered User regular
    edited January 2011
    Preacher wrote: »

I don't think having a vagina is an effective combat technique senj.

It all depends on how you wield it.

Feral on
    every person who doesn't like an acquired taste always seems to think everyone who likes it is faking it. it should be an official fallacy.

the "no true scotch man" fallacy.
  • Options
    edited January 2011

Man what? Have you read Have Spacesuit Will Travel? Red Planet? Even Stranger In A Strange Land (for all it turns to shit in the last 1/4) in no way fits with what jacob is talking about.

And no, neither does Starship Troopers.

I take it you never read the Lazarus Long stories, then. There is a reason Heinlein is well-read in libertarian circles.

AngelHedgie on
  • Options
    EchoEcho ski-bap ba-dapModerator mod
    edited January 2011
    That video gave me a random urge to play some Soul Calibur.

Echo on
  • Options
    Regina FongRegina Fong Allons-y, Alonso Registered User regular
    edited January 2011
    That japanese girl got her video played on the Ellen show though.

I don't understand why you guys are still talking about sword chick. Baton girl is way cooler.

Regina Fong on
  • Options
    ElendilElendil Registered User regular
    edited January 2011
    there is a dead space armor for dragon age 2

what

Elendil on
  • Options
    edited January 2011

Senj, she's clearly employing the millenia old combat techniques of the elder Grey Elves of the West.

Clearly.

Styrofoam Sammich on
    wq09t4opzrlc.jpg
  • Options
    DasUberEdwardDasUberEdward Registered User regular
    edited January 2011
    i just rocked so much homework.

just schooled from 9AM to 7PM.

awww yisss

DasUberEdward on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    edited January 2011

I refuse to watch the video, but is this the kind of sword that has an unsharpened part just above the gaurds so you can grab it there for extra leverage if need be?

to be honest I can't really tell, she's just whipping it around like a monkey on speed

Senjutsu on
  • Options
    ElendilElendil Registered User regular
    edited January 2011
    I think some of the big swords you could hold the blade in your hands and use them as a club

Elendil on
  • Options
    edited January 2011
    That japanese girl got her video played on the Ellen show though.

I don't understand why you guys are still talking about sword chick. Baton girl is way cooler.

Look we can't legally bone that dirty gap tooth, but ren faire wench would go dp if you gave her the gor books.

Preacher on

pleasepaypreacher.net
  • Options
    TaminTamin Registered User regular
    edited January 2011
    Well

nothing seems to have blown up

mouse and keyboard ... chk

internet ... chk

Tamin on
  • Options
    edited January 2011
    Elendil wrote: »
    there is a dead space armor for dragon age 2

what

They did the same thing with the original and Mass Effect 2.

AngelHedgie on
  • Options
    Regina FongRegina Fong Allons-y, Alonso Registered User regular
    edited January 2011
    It's not a god damned claymore, it's some slender, curved, quasi-oriental thing that was ordered off the internet and is undoubtedly not sharpened.

Regina Fong on
This discussion has been closed.