Options

[Internet Dating] Travelling is really boring

• Options
    SarcastroSarcastro Registered User regular
    edited March 2011
    So, thanks for the advice ladies/guys.

Heavy overhaul last night, and it's still pretty awful but it reads a lot lighter than before. Still not happy with the self summary, but I went with my frustration on that and at least it's interesting now, I think.

Thoughts?

Sarcastro on
  • Options
    SliderSlider Registered User regular
    edited March 2011
    Lucid wrote: »
    Somehow I think she may sense that. Could have something to do with why she doesn't seem to care much about communicating with you.

Agreed. So, maybe I need to take it down a notch and just try to be friends with her?

Slider on
  • Options
    MalkorMalkor Registered User regular
    edited March 2011
    Slider wrote: »
    Lucid wrote: »
    Somehow I think she may sense that. Could have something to do with why she doesn't seem to care much about communicating with you.

Agreed. So, maybe I need to take it down a notch and just try to be friends with her?

I don't think anyone wants to help you mis-represent yourself to her...

Malkor on
    14271f3c-c765-4e74-92b1-49d7612675f2.jpg
  • Options
    CommunistCowCommunistCow Abstract Metal ThingyRegistered User regular
    edited March 2011
    tardcore wrote: »
    So a tranny just messaged me. How are you guys doing?

Can't be any worse than when one of my female friends had a guy message her asking to literally be her slave. He wrote a whole page on how he loves having a strong woman tell him what to do and what to clean. He didn't even want anything sexual he just wanted to be ordered around.

o_O

CommunistCow on
    No, I am not really communist. Yes, it is weird that I use this name.
  • Options
    rizriz Registered User regular
    edited March 2011
    Man he could come to my apartment and clean if he wants. :P

riz on
  • Options
    edited March 2011
    Hahaha holy hell, Sarcastro. The random capslock interjections pretty much just made my afternoon (fortunately laughing at the computer screen at my job is something that happens sometimes anyway). I'm not sure how well it will serve as a potential mate lobster trap of sorts, it's A WHOLE LOT OF WORDS, and just a little insane, but entertaining nonetheless.

riz on
  • Options
    PellaeonPellaeon Registered User regular
    edited March 2011
    Sarcastro wrote: »

Heavy overhaul last night, and it's still pretty awful but it reads a lot lighter than before. Still not happy with the self summary, but I went with my frustration on that and at least it's interesting now, I think.

Thoughts?

I've got to say you really have a way with words, and I've always found your posts on this board to be entertaining. I think what you have now is also entertaining/creative, I just don't know if it gives off the right vibe. I mean for me, any profile opening up with the whole " I hate self summaries and no one cares about this shit anyway" theme usually means quick exit, stage right. The fact that you incorporate it into some kind of awesome song is great and all, but you know, lipstick on a pig etc etc. It definitely picks up after that, and the back and forth with the caps is a clever idea, assuming the jokes hit the right spot for your would be lady friend. The whole thing is pretty damn long though, and almost comes off as trying too hard.

The great news is that you don't have to worry about being seen as another boring profile. I just think with a little change in tone, especially in the intro it might be a bit more inviting.

Pellaeon on
  • Options
    KyouguKyougu Registered User regular
    edited March 2011
    Sometimes I wonder what makes people put things in their profiles. I was glancing at some woman's profile that mentions twice about how she's trying to get out of debt.

Which you know, awesome for her and all, but sets off all sorts of alarms in my head.

Kyougu on
  • Options
    Fallout2manFallout2man Vault Dweller Registered User regular
    edited March 2011
    Well my Boss just talked to me, apparently there's a decent chance they'd like to relocate me further north to L.A. I hate to admit it but I've kind of been holding a torch for that neon haired girl I mentioned a while back, so this may now put us both within range soon, w00t w00t!

Still the whole ordeal can't help but leave me wondering about what specific qualities it was that kept me interested. I've talked to several other women who could've been accessible to me and I just lost interest in each of them after a short period of time. Including one closer with cool hair too, so it's not JUST the hair that did it. Something to ponder over as I sip Brandy by the fire with my Monocle, ohoho! :p

Fallout2man on
    On Ignorance:
    Kana wrote:
    If the best you can come up with against someone who's patently ignorant is to yell back at him, "Yeah? Well there's BOOKS, and they say you're WRONG!"

Then honestly you're not coming out of this looking great either.
  • Options
    edited March 2011
    Better warn that girl not to dye her neon hair brown if she ends up dating you. :P

riz on
  • Options
    edited March 2011
    Actually she's a photographer and after checking her Deviant Art (which she posted on her profile) I've seen her hair every color under the sun, including brown. I think I'm pretty safe whatever color it is. ;)

What I'd worry more about right now is I've got two friends who are on hard times and I'm effectively supporting them financially right now (which is why I'm always broke despite making the $$$ writing software) and I'm really not sure how they're going to react to the idea that I won't always be able to give them free rent or pay for their car/insurance/gas anymore if I end up moving. Since I'll have to spend 3-4 months saving my entire paycheck to move.

Fallout2man on
    On Ignorance:
    Kana wrote:
    If the best you can come up with against someone who's patently ignorant is to yell back at him, "Yeah? Well there's BOOKS, and they say you're WRONG!"

• Options
    CommunistCowCommunistCow Abstract Metal ThingyRegistered User regular
    edited March 2011
    Actually she's a photographer and after checking her Deviant Art (which she posted on her profile) I've seen her hair every color under the sun, including brown. I think I'm pretty safe whatever color it is. ;)

What I'd worry more about right now is I've got two friends who are on hard times and I'm effectively supporting them financially right now (which is why I'm always broke despite making the $$$ writing software) and I'm really not sure how they're going to react to the idea that I won't always be able to give them free rent or pay for their car/insurance/gas anymore if I end up moving. Since I'll have to spend 3-4 months saving my entire paycheck to move.

You don't need money to move. You can just have your friends pay you back by carrying your furniture to the new location. Who cares if its a long way. They owe you monies.

CommunistCow on
    No, I am not really communist. Yes, it is weird that I use this name.
  • Options
    edited March 2011
    You don't need money to move. You can just have your friends pay you back by carrying your furniture to the new location. Who cares if its a long way. They owe you monies.

That is an option, but then there's also that tricky matter of finding a place to live with a roof of some kind. I'm not a troll, so bridges are out of the question. I am however a merciless pirate on the RIAA's most wanted list. So I could get me a cutlass and try hijacking a ship in the harbor! Actually, that sounds kind of fun :D

Fallout2man on
    On Ignorance:
    Kana wrote:

• Options
    edited March 2011
    Pellaeon wrote: »

Thoughts?

I've got to say you really have a way with words, and I've always found your posts on this board to be entertaining. I think what you have now is also entertaining/creative, I just don't know if it gives off the right vibe. I mean for me, any profile opening up with the whole " I hate self summaries and no one cares about this shit anyway" theme usually means quick exit, stage right. The fact that you incorporate it into some kind of awesome song is great and all, but you know, lipstick on a pig etc etc. It definitely picks up after that, and the back and forth with the caps is a clever idea, assuming the jokes hit the right spot for your would be lady friend. The whole thing is pretty damn long though, and almost comes off as trying too hard.

The great news is that you don't have to worry about being seen as another boring profile. I just think with a little change in tone, especially in the intro it might be a bit more inviting.

Yah, I didn't like the tone on the intro either. I ditched it, and went for something more positive. Used a literary device (caps/id/barker) to bring out some highlights. I dont usually like to use those as conversation starters, but they work, so. ya. It's not at all bad atm, I might tweak here and there later. The length has to stay, I've tried to trim, but it it just gets longer :P I'm naturally wordy; so much so that if that expectation is created through the profile, it'll probably be best for everyone. :)

Sarcastro on
  • Options
    LaliluleloLalilulelo Richmond, VARegistered User regular
    edited March 2011
  • Options
    milehighmilehigh Registered User regular
    edited March 2011
    Woo, great night, had to share. Seemingly uninterested girl from yesterday texted me today wanting to get together again (not sure how to feel about that). On the plus side, AWESOME date with a gorgeous art teacher, 4 hours of really great conversation, coffee, followed by dinner and a definite second date to hit up a museum exhibit soon. Nothing quite like this feeling when things go well, totally makes any unreturned messages feel completely irrelevant. :lol:

milehigh on
  • Options
    edited March 2011
    milehigh wrote: »
    Woo, great night, had to share. Seemingly uninterested girl from yesterday texted me today wanting to get together again (not sure how to feel about that). On the plus side, AWESOME date with a gorgeous art teacher, 4 hours of really great conversation, coffee, followed by dinner and a definite second date to hit up a museum exhibit soon. Nothing quite like this feeling when things go well, totally makes any unreturned messages feel completely irrelevant. :lol:

Some (and certianly not all) seemingly uninterested girls are simply nervous as all hell and can't think of anything to say. Playing it cool is a a trait shared by many.

And kudos on the good times mang! Thumbs up!

Sarcastro on
  • Options
    CorvusCorvus . VancouverRegistered User regular
    edited March 2011
    Woo, 2nd date tomorrow, and first was only Wednesday. This may be a good sign. And a few other potential dates next week. Funny how it can be feast or famine.

Corvus on
    :so_raven:
  • Options
    edited March 2011
    Corvus wrote: »
    Woo, 2nd date tomorrow, and first was only Wednesday. This may be a good sign. And a few other potential dates next week. Funny how it can be feast or famine.

That's all it ever is.

Lalilulelo on
  • Options
    StericaSterica Yes Registered User, Moderator mod
    edited March 2011
    So I messaged a girl, got messaged back. Wrote a follow-up, and nothing for five days.

Was checking messages, and I realized that I could not find my second message. Checked my sent folder and so forth. First message is there, but not the second. I've never had this happen before, and it's really awkward having to ask if she ever got it.

This third message is showing up in sent. Man, I am going to feel incredibly stupid if I forgot to hit "send."

Sterica on
    YL9WnCY.png
  • Options
    edited March 2011
    third message?

Lalilulelo on
  • Options
    edited March 2011
    Lalilulelo wrote: »

That's all it ever is.

Depends on your definitions I guess. I've mostly had either talking to one woman at a time or nothing, having conversations and quite possibly dates with three different people in a week is new to me. Waiting to see how tomorrow goes before I firm up plans with the other two possibilities.

Corvus on
  • Options
    edited March 2011
    third message?
    The third is just asking if she ever got the second. First and third show up in the sent folder, whereas the second is nowhere to be seen.

It's not a big deal if she got the second and doesn't want to continue, but I'd like to be sure. I'd hate to miss out on something due to technical or (more likely) personal error. Her response (to the first message) was very positive, so we'll see.

Sterica on
    YL9WnCY.png
  • Options
    Element BrianElement Brian Peanut Butter Shill Registered User regular
    edited March 2011
    I would have just sent a carbon copy of the second. Or claimed that you thought you sent one but it didn't send, either way sounds less like your asking why she never responded.

Element Brian on
    Switch FC code:SW-2130-4285-0059

Arch,
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=t_goGR39m2k
  • Options
    edited March 2011
    Eh, if she got it and didn't respond, she'll continue to not respond. And I can't send a second copy: there's no original to copy.

I get your point, and I tried not to sound accusatory. Not a big deal.

Sterica on
    YL9WnCY.png
  • Options
    edited March 2011
    Yeah I think you've got it right. The worst that happens is someone who wasn't going to reply anyway thinks you're creepy. But if you weren't creepy about it then even that shouldn't be the case. And you never know when things will just disappear into the internets never to be heard from again.

riz on
  • Options
    OrganichuOrganichu poops peesRegistered User, Moderator mod
    edited March 2011
    sarcastro i would recommend a picture that actually shows what you look like

if you're uncomfortable with your appearance i would probably be wary of posting more than one 'ambiguous' one, because imo it could scare people off

it would me, anyway

Organichu on
  • Options
    milehighmilehigh Registered User regular
    edited March 2011
    riz wrote: »
    Yeah I think you've got it right. The worst that happens is someone who wasn't going to reply anyway thinks you're creepy. But if you weren't creepy about it then even that shouldn't be the case. And you never know when things will just disappear into the internets never to be heard from again.

I think that has to be your approach. I've written several random poems to girls never to be heard from again. I just take it as having been 'absorbed by the internet.' The one Suess ballad I wrote hit a major tone with a girll, and we're getting together next Thursday. As much as I might invest in a piece I have to concede that people will hate it wtih a passion.

milehigh on
  • Options
    JeanJean Heartbroken papa bear Gatineau, QuébecRegistered User regular
    edited March 2011

Thoughts?

Nice sword, bro ;) I think you should show your face/body more tough.

Jean on
    "You won't destroy us, You won't destroy our democracy. We are a small but proud nation. No one can bomb us to silence. No one can scare us from being Norway. This evening and tonight, we'll take care of each other. That's what we do best when attacked'' - Jens Stoltenberg
  • Options
    edited March 2011
    Organichu wrote: »

if you're uncomfortable with your appearance i would probably be wary of posting more than one 'ambiguous' one, because imo it could scare people off

it would me, anyway

Yeah, not having a clear picture of yourself is a gigantic red flag on a dating site. It just sends all the wrong messages.

Corvus on
  • Options
    edited March 2011
    I'm a link you guys to my profile. I been dusting it off recently, and sending out messages with a little bit of good response but then you can't tell if they haven't logged on or they don't want to respond to you anymore.

But tell me what you think, strengths, weaknesses, questions, comments concerns, lies, alibis, revelations and testimonies.

Lalilulelo on
  • Options
    GodfatherGodfather Registered User regular
    edited March 2011

it would me, anyway

Yeah, not having a clear picture of yourself is a gigantic red flag on a dating site. It just sends all the wrong messages.

I second this.

You need to be completely honest with you and your appearance. Having a dragon sword spike hilt held in a brooding pose and a profile photo that has the light sheen ramped up enough to make J.J. Abrams blushing is not a good sign. It actually makes you look very self-consious about your appearance, and that's the last thing you want women to think about yourself.

Godfather on
  • Options
    EggyToastEggyToast Jersey CityRegistered User regular
    edited March 2011
    Or it makes it look like you don't want to be recognized for some reason. Like maybe you aren't actually single.

EggyToast on
    || Flickr — || PSN: EggyToast
  • Options
    edited March 2011
    She didn't get the message. Communication reestablished!

Sterica on
    YL9WnCY.png
  • Options
    edited March 2011
    EggyToast wrote: »
    Or it makes it look like you don't want to be recognized for some reason. Like maybe you aren't actually single.

This is what I'm getting at. It raises the following questions and potentially more.

* Is this person ashamed of their appearance?
    * Are they in worse shape than they claim to be?
    * Are they trying to conceal their activities from a significant other who would not be cool with them.
    * And, do they not understand that physical attraction is a huge part of dating?

In all respects, if you're going to do internet dating, I think you have to go with the "here I am, I'm awesome" mentality and present your whole self.

Corvus on
  • Options
    edited March 2011
    Yeah, like fat girls who don't have a body shot. Deception is not attractive.
    Rorus Raz wrote: »
    She didn't get the message. Communication reestablished!

:D

Lalilulelo on
  • Options
    JuliusJulius Captain of Serenity on my shipRegistered User regular
    edited March 2011

In all respects, if you're going to do internet dating, I think you have to go with the "here I am, I'm awesome" mentality and present your whole self.

Hell, that goes for normal dating too. Few people get dates by sitting in the shadow trying to telepathically get a connection with a prospective date.

Julius on
  • Options
    edited March 2011
    Julius wrote: »

Hell, that goes for normal dating too. Few people get dates by sitting in the shadow trying to telepathically get a connection with a prospective date.
    Just a few more classes, and I'll show you.

I think it's also important to remember that some people find fatties attractive. If you're comfortable with being large, then you're simply losing on all fronts by being weird with photos. Some people think you're being deceptive, and people who might dig you get the wrong impression.

Sterica on
    YL9WnCY.png
  • Options
    edited March 2011
    Godfather wrote: »

it would me, anyway

I second this.

You need to be completely honest with you and your appearance. Having a dragon sword spike hilt held in a brooding pose and a profile photo that has the light sheen ramped up enough to make J.J. Abrams blushing is not a good sign. It actually makes you look very self-consious about your appearance, and that's the last thing you want women to think about yourself.

I actually gave up waiting for my friend and just took a few myself. It's not high grade, but ya, it's clear, uploaded and to the point. Just an everyday one. I'll probably swap it out if I get any others. I've been bugging people a ton to take them actually.

Sarcastro on
  • Options
    LaOsLaOs SaskatoonRegistered User regular
    edited March 2011

That's all it ever is.

My buddy and I call it the times of plenty and the times of few (because sometimes there's a hint of something, but really... it's usually none).

LaOs on