As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Soy Un [Chat]edor

• Options
    VariableVariable Mouth Congress Stroke Me Lady FameRegistered User regular
    edited January 2011
    Winky wrote: »
    I will use the term "rape" flippantly unless I know or suspect that I am in the presence of someone who will be made uncomfortable by that. I mean, this seems like a pretty simple and fundamental rule of social interaction for any subject.

yup

Variable on
    BNet-Vari#1998 | Switch-SW 6960 6688 8388 | Steam | Twitch
  • Options
    amateurhouramateurhour One day I'll be professionalhour The woods somewhere in TennesseeRegistered User regular
    edited January 2011
    Preacher wrote: »
    Dead Space
    I guess what I'm getting out of it is that they need Issac because he knows how to make markers, and apparently they've had him in the crazy house making a marker for the last few years...

How did they cover up the ishamura incident though?

Chapter 10 spoiler from dead space 2

They blamed it on terrorism and outside of Issac and the members of the aftermath movies crew (of which one ends up being lobotomized and the other one is nolan fucking strauss) no one knew the real story.

ahhh that makes sense.

so...
    really it's just the Alien movie franchise?

amateurhour on
    are YOU on the beer list?
  • Options
    EddyEddy Gengar the Bittersweet Registered User regular
    edited January 2011
    Eddy wrote: »
    So you don't care if what you say is offensive to other people?

Most of the time, no. Outside of a work or with my inlaws I don't censor myself.

I know you don't. It's just funny seeing ultra-idealists struggle with hypocritical scenarios. Tickles me to see them slowly succumb to the real world.

Eddy on
    "and the morning stars I have seen
    and the gengars who are guiding me" -- W.S. Merwin
  • Options
    HonkHonk Honk is this poster. Registered User, __BANNED USERS regular
    edited January 2011
    Winky.
    345nc08.jpg

This still makes me cry when I look at it, totally amazing dude.

Honk on
    PSN: Honkalot
  • Options
    Styrofoam SammichStyrofoam Sammich WANT. normal (not weird)Registered User regular
    edited January 2011
    There's nothing wrong with rape jokes when you're with friends or whatever. Of course making one around a rape victim is horrible, but its not like when you say you just raped your buddy at halo all rape victims within a 10 mile radius are going to start tearing up, and I hardly think that's making light of rape in general.

Styrofoam Sammich on
    wq09t4opzrlc.jpg
  • Options
    PreacherPreacher Registered User regular
    edited January 2011

ahhh that makes sense.

so...
    Did they blame things on terrorism in the aliens franchise? I don't recall that in alien 3 or aliens. I do remember aliens they were flat out blaming ripley.

Preacher on
    I would like some money because these are artisanal nuggets of wisdom philistine.

pleasepaypreacher.net
  • Options
    LeitnerLeitner Registered User regular
    edited January 2011
    I would say the difference between referring to murder and referring to rape is that rape is several orders of magnitude more common, variable

The other difference is that everyone agrees, largely, when murders happen, and that they are bad

Whereas rape, which is a huge social problem, is surrounded by controversy and denial and refusal to recognize its very existence, etc., much like racism.

Saying "I raped that dude at halo" is as tasteless as "you got owned like a black slave," IMO, in a culture where rape and racism are pervasive ills.

Assault and muggings are far more common still, and frequently treated in a dismissive fashion by the police and others. Now I wouldn't put it on the same level of emotional harm, but it can certainly be up there for some people. Do you take issue with the language of violence that pervades through the language used by the gamers?

Leitner on
  • Options
    ZombiemamboZombiemambo Registered User regular
    edited January 2011
    why would you want to say "I raped in Halo" or whatever

do you enjoy likening your experience to forcefully having sex with somebody else?

Zombiemambo on
    JKKaAGp.png
  • Options
    FartacusFartacus __BANNED USERS regular
    edited January 2011

no

what you said is that you would criticize and report everything I said, because you were trying to make a point

which is not the same thing as actually causing offense

AFAIK, I only offended two people in the [chat] you're talking about, Ludious and Chu

and I apologized to both, and at least Chu understood my point and accepted it

so

no

but please keep this up

Fartacus on
  • Options
    dlinfinitidlinfiniti Registered User regular
    edited January 2011

do you enjoy likening your experience to forcefully having sex with somebody else?

when people say that i think they're referring more to nonconsensually dominating someone in the most absolute way possible and less to the other sexual implications

dlinfiniti on
    AAAAA!!! PLAAAYGUUU!!!!
  • Options
    DaxonDaxon Registered User regular
    edited January 2011
    The new being human is great :D

Daxon on
  • Options
    edited January 2011
    I would say the difference between referring to murder and referring to rape is that rape is several orders of magnitude more common, variable

The other difference is that everyone agrees, largely, when murders happen, and that they are bad

Whereas rape, which is a huge social problem, is surrounded by controversy and denial and refusal to recognize its very existence, etc., much like racism.

Saying "I raped that dude at halo" is as tasteless as "you got owned like a black slave," IMO, in a culture where rape and racism are pervasive ills.

sure, they're both tasteless.

oh man I slaughtered him!

is tasteless too.

I dunno, I see you have reasons that you view them different, but I can't agree. I'm fine with leaving it at that to be honest.

Variable on
  • Options
    edited January 2011

All the time, I want the people on the otherside to know I think of killing them in the game is a sexual gratification for me. Every headshot is foreplay, every misplaced bit of rage a stroke of my penis. When they get frustrated its like the greatest climax.

Preacher on
    I would like some money because these are artisanal nuggets of wisdom philistine.

pleasepaypreacher.net
  • Options
    edited January 2011
    dlinfiniti wrote: »

when people say that i think they're referring more to nonconsensually dominating someone in the most absolute way possible and less to the other sexual implications

yeah still not something I would want to say about myself or someone else as if it was a compliment

"man you totally dominated that person against their will"

Zombiemambo on
    JKKaAGp.png
  • Options
    edited January 2011
    And you're saying that the blogger who took "offense" to the t-shirt and who made one of her own for financial gain and/or publicity wasn't arguing in bad faith?

Eddy on
  • Options
    Dark_SideDark_Side Registered User regular
    edited January 2011

It could perhaps be argued that by having the word co-opted into the regular lexicon, its definition within that context would have increasingly less to do with the act of sexual rape, instead of a more generic, albeit still vulgar, term for besting someone decidedly.

Or I could just be blowing a shitload of smoke...

Dark_Side on
  • Options
    edited January 2011

yeah still not something I would want to say about myself or someone else as if it was a compliment

boy oh boy I sure did win that round!

just doesn't have the same ring to it

Variable on
  • Options
    Casual EddyCasual Eddy The Astral PlaneRegistered User regular
    edited January 2011
    Variable wrote: »

I did indeed score far more points than the other person in that round of play

Casual Eddy on
  • Options
    Dread Pirate ArbuthnotDread Pirate Arbuthnot OMG WRIGGLY T O X O P L A S M O S I SRegistered User regular
    edited January 2011
    AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAHHHHHHHHH

Dread Pirate Arbuthnot on
  • Options
    edited January 2011

I don't measure my success in terms of violence and domination

Zombiemambo on
    JKKaAGp.png
  • Options
    RMS OceanicRMS Oceanic Registered User regular
    edited January 2011

Aww, what's wrong? <3

RMS Oceanic on
  • Options
    edited January 2011

"Hooray variable we beat the other team, they played poorly and we played excellently! I think we should engage in sexual congress with their loved ones who also think we are the bee knees based on our ability!"

Preacher on

pleasepaypreacher.net
  • Options
    PowerpuppiesPowerpuppies drinking coffee in the mountain cabinRegistered User regular
    edited January 2011

I did indeed score far more points than the other person in that round of play

which was to be demonstrated

Powerpuppies on
    sig.gif
  • Options
    edited January 2011
    Admittedly bees knees is a bit vulgar.

Preacher on

pleasepaypreacher.net
  • Options
    emnmnmeemnmnme Registered User regular
    edited January 2011
    Fartacus wrote: »

no

what you said is that you would criticize and report everything I said, because you were trying to make a point

AFAIK, I only offended two people in the [chat] you're talking about, Ludious and Chu

so

no

but please keep this up

I've always wanted to make a thread discussing phony outrage and feigned indignity and all that stuff. We don't care if random dude uses foul language in private but a politician uttering foul language in public? That politician needs to resign! The public is offended! ... not really, but the public thinks they're expected to be offended so they go along with it.

Fart, I figure more than a few posters jumping on your case were going through the same motions.

emnmnme on
  • Options
    GooeyGooey (\/)┌¶─¶┐(\/) pinch pinchRegistered User regular
    edited January 2011

sounds like you lose a lot

at farmville

Gooey on
    919UOwT.png
  • Options
    FroThulhuFroThulhu Registered User regular
    edited January 2011

no

so

no

but please keep this up

Oh, man, are we back to shitting our pants over racism[chat] from the other day? Is that happening?

FroThulhu on
  • Options
    edited January 2011
    Dark_Side wrote: »

It could perhaps be argued that by having the word co-opted into the regular lexicon, its definition within that context would have increasingly less to do with the act of sexual rape, instead of a more generic, albeit still vulgar, term for besting someone decidedly.

Or I could just be blowing a shitload of smoke...

I don't care that some fucking retarded gamer decided it was fine to use it the way it is often used

I don't say it and I don't approve of anyone else using it that way

Zombiemambo on
    JKKaAGp.png
  • Options
    amateurhouramateurhour One day I'll be professionalhour The woods somewhere in TennesseeRegistered User regular
    edited January 2011

ahhh that makes sense.

so...
    Did they blame things on terrorism in the aliens franchise? I don't recall that in alien 3 or aliens. I do remember aliens they were flat out blaming ripley.

I mean that it's not an alien invasion like Mass Effect. It's a company using aliens as biological warfare.

amateurhour on
    are YOU on the beer list?
  • Options
    Dread Pirate ArbuthnotDread Pirate Arbuthnot OMG WRIGGLY T O X O P L A S M O S I SRegistered User regular
    edited January 2011

Aww, what's wrong? <3

League and Legends and [chat] combine to be ridiculous

• Options
    edited January 2011
    we fucking gassed those Jews, good job team

Zombiemambo on
    JKKaAGp.png
  • Options
    edited January 2011
    I gotta go pick up my dad from the bus stop

be back later

Variable on
  • Options
    RMS OceanicRMS Oceanic Registered User regular
    edited January 2011
    Today's Order of the Stick was sad, but in a beautiful way.

RMS Oceanic on
  • Options
    PowerpuppiesPowerpuppies drinking coffee in the mountain cabinRegistered User regular
    edited January 2011

Aww, what's wrong? <3

I'm pretty sure nobody was bothered in a lasting way, I would not stress over it.

Powerpuppies on
    sig.gif
  • Options
    edited January 2011
    Not everything is black and white, as much as people from both sides want to believe

Eddy on
  • Options
    edited January 2011

good for you?

when I'm playing a game of violence and domination I guess I do. and I don't feel bad about it.

Variable on
  • Options
    Evil MultifariousEvil Multifarious Registered User regular
    edited January 2011

sure, they're both tasteless.

oh man I slaughtered him!

is tasteless too.

I dunno, I see you have reasons that you view them different, but I can't agree. I'm fine with leaving it at that to be honest.

I dont know if i would consider that tasteless. I think there is something more revolting about using "rape" that way. You could say "our team slaughtered theirs" at work or at a dinner with yout folks, but you wouldnt say "rape." I know you don't really want to argue about it so I won't harass you.

Evil Multifarious on
  • Options
    edited January 2011

ahhh that makes sense.

so...

I mean that it's not an alien invasion like Mass Effect. It's a company using aliens as biological warfare.

Spoiler to your spoiler. Which relates to deadspace 1 and 2

Not entirely true, the original marker was not of human design, and its implied that real "convergence" would be pretty god damn awful for humanity if the necromorphs are an indication.

Preacher on

pleasepaypreacher.net
  • Options
    edited January 2011

Aww, what's wrong? <3

I'm pretty sure nobody was bothered in a lasting way, I would not stress over it.

I recognize that the scale of it was small but it was after losing at League of Legends for like six hours

in increasingly ridiculous ways

like 0/13/2 Bandito Fidldesticks

so I am just at a fever pitch of annoyance

• Options
    edited January 2011
    emnmnme wrote: »

no

so

no

but please keep this up

I've always wanted to make a thread discussing phony outrage and feigned indignity and all that stuff. We don't care if random dude uses foul language in private but a politician uttering foul language in public? That politician needs to resign! The public is offended! ... not really, but the public thinks they're expected to be offended so they go along with it.

Fart, I figure more than a few posters jumping on your case were going through the same motions.

I believe those who both protested and defended the t-shirt are guilty of phony outrage. Reasonable people shouldn't give a shit, but this is the internet.

Eddy on
This discussion has been closed.