As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Someone explain the dickwolves controversy to me

DiscoZombieDiscoZombie Registered User regular
edited February 2011 in Debate and/or Discourse
I'm sure I'm not the first one to start a thread on this topic, but the search function appears broken and I manually searched a few pages back and didn't find anything. Mike's latest tweets and PA blog posts brought it to the forefront of my mind again. I just want to know why this joke was such a big deal. I have tried reading all the feminist responses and just wind up more in the dark.

As Gabe himself said, jokes about "violence,rape,aids,pedophilia,bestiality,drugs,cancer,homosexuality" are prevalent in PA as well as our culture at large and no one bats an eyelash, but make a joke about rape - one that's in no way mean-spirited - and you have angry bloggers, boycotts, threats, etc. If I was raped, would I find rape jokes funny? Probably not. But if it was cartoonish and obviously not cruel or espousing rape, I would have no reason to feel threatened by such a joke. I would move on with my life.

I'm sure there are PA fans who were physically abused, but no one says they were triggered when Tycho beats the shit out of Gabe or vice versa. I'm sure there are people who have cancer or AIDS or were victimized by pedophiles when they were younger, but no one said anything when comics with those topics as a punchline came out, but when they do a comic in which a fictitious NPC in a fictitious MMO was raped by a fictitious creature, the activists come out of the woodwork. I'm not saying the activists are wrong. I just want to understand what makes this non-PC joke special.

This isn't even the first time rape has been used as a punchline in a PA comic...

DiscoZombie on

• Options
    dresdenphiledresdenphile Watch out for snakes!Registered User regular
    edited February 2011
    "Rape is bad, and not something to be made fun of, ever, ever ever." I think is the rub of it.

dresdenphile on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    ArteenArteen Adept ValeRegistered User regular
    edited February 2011
    You might want to check out this thread.

Arteen on
  • Options
    ShanadeusShanadeus Registered User regular
    edited February 2011
    I don't get it either.
    The fact that the poor NPCs are being raped by the dickwolves is kinda besides the point and not at all integral to the joke which is about the way quests are designed.

The use of "rape" is there to imply that shit is bad - which rape is.

Shanadeus on
  • Options
    saint2esaint2e Registered User regular
    edited February 2011
    I'm just waiting until the twitiots inferring that mike is a "rape apologist" come up with a hash tag... #GabeAndMe perhaps?

saint2e on
    banner_160x60_01.gif
  • Options
    tofutofu Registered User regular
    edited February 2011
    I don't think the comic is offensive but the shirt is.

People wear offensive shirts all the time though so whatever.

tofu on
  • Options
    FeralFeral MEMETICHARIZARD interior crocodile alligator ⇔ ǝɹʇɐǝɥʇ ǝᴉʌoɯ ʇǝloɹʌǝɥɔ ɐ ǝʌᴉɹp ᴉRegistered User regular
    edited February 2011
    Arteen wrote: »
    You might want to check out this thread.

Better yet, skip the thread and read this post, in its entirety.
    I just want to understand what makes this non-PC joke special.

I'd like to ask you a few questions:

1) If the slave in the original dickwolf comic weren't being raped nightly, but beaten, would the joke have been as funny?

2) Likewise, if the shirt didn't show a "Dickwolves" logo, but a logo that represented somebody who beats (rather than rapes) slaves, would it have been as funny?

3) If the slave in the comic weren't an adult, but a child... say, a child of 4 years old... would the rape joke have been less funny, more funny, or not funny at all?

Feral on
    every person who doesn't like an acquired taste always seems to think everyone who likes it is faking it. it should be an official fallacy.

the "no true scotch man" fallacy.
  • Options
    Spaten OptimatorSpaten Optimator Smooth Operator Registered User regular
    edited February 2011
    Feral wrote: »
    Better yet, skip the thread and read this post, in its entirety.
    That Post wrote:
    Wearing this shirt reinforces the idea that rape is a topic that you sprinkle over your other content to spice it up a little, or that it’s “edgy” somehow to laugh about rape. And all of this over a comic strip whose actual three-panel-setup joke had nothing to do with rape. (Which, to repeat: just droppin’ rape in there to make your comic “darkly funny” or “mature” or whatever…perpetuates rape culture.)

This was what I didn't get about the response: that any use of the word 'rape' in a humorous context perpetuates rape culture and isn't funny. Because that's not true, it's lazy analysis, and it totally ignores nuance and context. We laugh at jokes involving the holocaust in "The Producers," for example. It's tricky, but it can be done. And when it works, it's hilarious.

Because a topic is dark or sensitive doesn't mean it must be excised from all humor. In my view, these topics can work well in comedy by their very nature.

Spaten Optimator on
  • Options
    MarathonMarathon Registered User regular
    edited February 2011
    I don't think the point of that comic was to make fun of or glorify rape (or "rape culture" whatever that is) at all.

The subject of rape was used essentially as a tool to convey just how horrible the conditions were for the slaves quickly and in a manner anyone could easily understand. Then, in contrast make the actual joke about the nature of RPG's where once you reach whatever goal sent you into a place with such horrible conditions in the first place you leave and instantly go on about your day.

Marathon on
  • Options
    XaquinXaquin Right behind you!Registered User regular
    edited February 2011
    I've always wondered why it got so much more attention than all their other comics about rape

Xaquin on
  • Options
    MKRMKR Registered User regular
    edited February 2011
    It's pretty complicated, and internet discussion rarely handles nuance with any sort of grace.

I'm going to try.

So there's a comic about a stupid MMO trope. Saving as many slaves as is required, and no more. Worst hero ever.

But the problem: "raped to sleep by the dickwolves." This is a trigger for a subset of rape survivors.

People in and around that subset took issue with it. They could have handled it with a bit more tact, but that's moot now. The response to the insufficiently tactful response was not very tactful.

Now there's a shitstorm. Views have been solidified. Lines have been drawn. Dickwolf shirts have been sold.

It's an awful mess that will never be settled satisfactorily because everyone's so riled up about it.

MKR on
  • Options
    Spaten OptimatorSpaten Optimator Smooth Operator Registered User regular
    edited February 2011
    Xaquin wrote: »
    I've always wondered why it got so much more attention than all their other comics about rape

I think it just went viral amongst a slice of feminist bloggers--fewer people noticed the other comics, or fewer people bothered to write about them. Controversies like this generate their own momentum as people within a community quote one another or link to each others' posts.

Spaten Optimator on
  • Options
    tardcoretardcore Registered User regular
    edited February 2011
    It's one of those things only a rape victim will truly understand. Others will just fight for or against the use of rape as a joke.

Bad taste? Probably. Was it intended as a joke? Absolutely. If you're not comfortable with adult topics and language, Mike said it best, this comic isn't for you.

tardcore on
  • Options
    FeralFeral MEMETICHARIZARD interior crocodile alligator ⇔ ǝɹʇɐǝɥʇ ǝᴉʌoɯ ʇǝloɹʌǝɥɔ ɐ ǝʌᴉɹp ᴉRegistered User regular
    edited February 2011

Three hypotheses, which are not mutually exclusive:

1) Penny-Arcade has grown in popularity.

2) The presence of rape survivors and communities that explicitly care about sexual assault issues have grown in size.

3) There are more rape survivors or people who explicitly care about sexual assault issues among Penny-Arcade's readership.

While I'm making points in threes, I want to also mention that there are three acts here that people find objectionable, and it helps if we separate them:

1) The original comic which made passing reference to a rape joke.

2) The 'apology' comic which poked fun at people who found the original rape joke objectionable.

3) The Dickwolves t-shirt (which, by the way, was released right before PAX).

Of these, I don't really care about (1). I understand why other people found it offensive, but I personally overlooked it. (2) struck me as ignorant, but again, ignorance is not necessarily moral failure. All it showed is that they didn't really understand, and didn't care to learn, why people found it objectionable.

(3) is the act that I found in particularly bad taste, because the design of the t-shirt explicitly aligned the wearer with the fictional rapists. To extend Spaten's Holocaust analogy above, it would be one thing to just laugh at Holocaust jokes, it would be another thing entirely to design and market a T-shirt with a "Nazis" sports team logo right before your audience is going to gather en masse at a convention.

Feral on
    every person who doesn't like an acquired taste always seems to think everyone who likes it is faking it. it should be an official fallacy.

the "no true scotch man" fallacy.
  • Options
    edited February 2011
    In a joke. The comic isn't joking about rape. It's being used to amplify the horror of the situation. It's very much anti-rape in its character.

MKR on
  • Options
    saint2esaint2e Registered User regular
    edited February 2011
    Echo chamber for sure. Glad to see the tide has turned on twitter and primarily the posts are pro-gabe

saint2e on
    banner_160x60_01.gif
  • Options
    ED!ED! Registered User regular
    edited February 2011
    Just another instance where context is dismissed out of hand and the topic becomes "And just why is rape funny. . ."

ED! on
    "Get the hell out of me" - [ex]girlfriend
  • Options
    tofutofu Registered User regular
    edited February 2011

(3) is the act that I found in particularly bad taste, because the design of the t-shirt explicitly aligned the wearer with the fictional rapists. To extend Spaten's Holocaust analogy above, it would be one thing to just laugh at Holocaust jokes, it would be another thing entirely to design and market a T-shirt with a "Nazis" sports team logo right before your audience is going to gather en masse at a convention.

Essentially, this is what I have a problem with

I would never wear it but like I said, people wear offensive clothing all the time and I ignore it

tofu on
  • Options
    HalibutHalibut Passion Fish Swimming in obscurity.Registered User regular
    edited February 2011
    The original comic does not in any way perpetuate a "rape culture." The humor is not in the rape, but in the ridiculous nature of fetch quests in video games. Someone please point out to me where in the comic it is implied that rape is funny or good. Just because it is used in a joke, doesn't make it the punchline of the joke.

My wife got a degree in sociology and practically minored in women's studies, and if there's anything I've noticed about her coursework, it's that feminists will take anything and bend and flex it until it acts in direct opposition to their world view. Not all feminists on every issue, mind you, but there will inevitably be someone who tries to make a name for herself (himself) as a way to rile up support for "the cause." And it always riles up support because feminism is a movement that is literally founded on being unhappy about everything. As the equality gap is closed, there are more and more straws to grasp at if you want to stay pissed off.

That's not to say that Gabe did everything right. He should have just publicly ignored these people and gone on with his life. There's no use debating your views with someone who thinks the world is against them.

And before anyone jumps down my throat, no I don't believe that the sexes (and certainly not the genders) of this world have achieved the definition of equality. But to say this comic promotes rape culture is reaching. It's the same argument the media uses to pin actual acts of violence on video games or music or movies.

Now, that said, I understand why folks are pissed off about the shirt. It is a shirt that basically promotes a creature that is solely associated with the act of rape. Basically take what I said about rape not being the punchline of the comic and throw it out the window. Even if it's just a jab at the misplaced angst some people felt from the comic, this kind of thing absolutely does contribute to the culture of objectification of women and dismissal of sexual abuse that is prevalent in parts of the gaming community. Even if it's not directly saying "rape is funny," I guarantee you that many PAers at PAX will wear the shirt as a way to stand together against the enemy. And even if they don't consciously think about the enemy as women who have survived rape, that's certainly what they are doing.

Halibut on
  • Options
    VestyVesty Registered User regular
    edited February 2011
    The thing about Gabe's news post pertaining to all this the other day that makes me scratch my head is when he is talking about the dickwolves shirt at PAX and how that would make people uncomfortable about attending and so they won't sell it. Did he not draw a dickwolf during a panel at PAX prime in front of a ton of people to laughter and applause? Did anyone care raise a voice about that? I don't think he gave much pause about making sure everyone was comfortable during that. But a tshirt with just the name on it god forbid!

Vesty on
  • Options
    KageraKagera Imitating the worst people. Since 2004Registered User regular
    edited February 2011
    He also said he'd be wearing his Dick Wolves shirt to PAX and since the shirts aren't prohibited from PAX those who did buy them can still wear them there.

Which means this whole 'not selling them anymore so people feel comfortable' doesn't really work out too well.

But hell I'm not a webcomic millionaire what do *I* know?

Kagera on
    My neck, my back, my FUPA and my crack.
  • Options
    Hexmage-PAHexmage-PA Registered User regular
    edited February 2011
    What the H is "rape culture"?

Hexmage-PA on
  • Options
    Eat it You Nasty Pig.Eat it You Nasty Pig. tell homeland security 'we are the bomb'Registered User regular
    edited February 2011
    It's only a "controversy" because some comparatively small time weblog writers trolled G&T into responding to them.

What Gabe is doing now is just equivocation. They don't think the joke is actually bad, apparently, since the strip is still up and they haven't apologized for it or anything... but they also pulled the shirt. They don't want people to feel "uncomfortable" at PAX, but apparently people who are uncomfortable about the whole dickwolves affair should just not attend, or something.

They should've either just ignored it if they didn't think it was a problem, or pulled the strip with a brief apology if they thought it was.

Eat it You Nasty Pig. on
    NREqxl5.jpg
    it was the smallest on the list but
    Pluto was a planet and I'll never forget
  • Options
    edited February 2011
    Hexmage-PA wrote: »

The social mores and tolerances that allow for rapists to thrive.

This could be the sexual objectification of women in media, the common misperception that 'men can't be raped', and inequality leading to one group having privileges over another group.

Kagera on
  • Options
    edited February 2011

There's some literature going around, but none of it does a good job of answering the question.

MKR on
  • Options
    takyristakyris Registered User regular
    edited February 2011

Three hypotheses, which are not mutually exclusive:

1) Penny-Arcade has grown in popularity.

2) The presence of rape survivors and communities that explicitly care about sexual assault issues have grown in size.

3) There are more rape survivors or people who explicitly care about sexual assault issues among Penny-Arcade's readership.

While I'm making points in threes, I want to also mention that there are three acts here that people find objectionable, and it helps if we separate them:

2) The 'apology' comic which poked fun at people who found the original rape joke objectionable.

Of these, I don't really care about (1). I understand why other people found it offensive, but I personally overlooked it. (2) struck me as ignorant, but again, ignorance is not necessarily moral failure. All it showed is that they didn't really understand, and didn't care to learn, why people found it objectionable.

Let's just assume I limed pretty much the whole thing.

Maybe I should bold it, since some people seem to be having trouble getting past "But the shirt wasn't so bad!"

takyris on
  • Options
    JohnnyCacheJohnnyCache Starting Defense Place at the tableRegistered User regular
    edited February 2011
    Kagera wrote: »

This could be the sexual objectification of women in media, the common misperception that 'men can't be raped', and inequality leading to one group having privileges over another group.

ah...

they "thrive?"

JohnnyCache on
  • Options
    Eat it You Nasty Pig.Eat it You Nasty Pig. tell homeland security 'we are the bomb'Registered User regular
    edited February 2011

It's basically an edgy euphemism for male privilege; in western society, particularly white male privilege.

Eat it You Nasty Pig. on
    NREqxl5.jpg
  • Options
    edited February 2011
    It's always explained with anecdotes and exaggerated examples. It seems imaginary, but I want to believe people have a solid defense for the notion. I've not ruled out it being a thing.

MKR on
  • Options
    QuidQuid Definitely not a banana Registered User regular
    edited February 2011

I'm okay with 1 and 3 but I don't think this sentence is fully fair to the situation. Specifically, it made fun of people who felt the original rape joke promoted rape. Which it did not. It clearly demonstrated it as bad.

Quid on
  • Options
    edited February 2011
    Kagera wrote: »

ah...

they "thrive?"

Given the startling rape statistics in America today, yeah they kinda do. There is a SHITLOAD of things that need fixing in our society before we can say we are as hostile to rape as possible.

This would not of course bring an end to rape completely because nothing is ever perfect but there are a lot of changes we could do lower the instances of rape in the country.

Of course what those changes are, how possible they are, and how far to go is all up for debate.

Speaking of which, go RAPElisberger!

Kagera on
  • Options
    Fuzzy Cumulonimbus CloudFuzzy Cumulonimbus Cloud Registered User regular
    edited February 2011
    I followed the original backlash pretty closely. There were a bunch of far more moderate feminist interpretations over at Pandagon (I would ignore Shakespeare Sisters, largely).

I am incredibly disappointed in the way G&T have handled the backlash. This should have been handled with grace. Instead, they chose to be vitriolic and stoke the fires with a bunch of passive aggressive acts.

It makes me very sad to see them do that. I'm not abandoning PA, nor am I on some hellbent path to condemn them. I do think there is something particular to "gamer" culture that encourages vitriolic responses. Why this is the case, who knows?

Fuzzy Cumulonimbus Cloud on
  • Options
    takyristakyris Registered User regular
    edited February 2011
    I followed the original backlash pretty closely. There were a bunch of far more moderate feminist interpretations over at Pandagon (I would ignore Shakespeare Sisters, largely).

I am incredibly disappointed in the way G&T have handled the backlash. This should have been handled with grace. Instead, they chose to be vitriolic and stoke the fires with a bunch of passive aggressive acts.

It makes me very sad to see them do that. I'm not abandoning PA, nor am I on some hellbent path to condemn them. I do think there is something particular to "gamer" culture that encourages vitriolic responses. Why this is the case, who knows?

Hey, why are you being so sensitive? Clearly, the most reasonable response that intelligent, logical people can make is to go around and order people who had trouble with the comic or the shirt to prove that they were raped or admit that they are lying.

And then pat ourselves on the back for mythbusting that whole rape culture thing.

takyris on
  • Options
    LoveIsUnityLoveIsUnity Registered User regular
    edited February 2011

Yeah, this pretty much covers my feelings as well.

LoveIsUnity on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    edited February 2011

yes, because american culture in general has measured, graceful opinions about things

:rotate:

I thought the followup comic was actually the part that was in the poorest taste. Like, okay, have the joke if you want, but mocking the people who were offended by it just makes you look small.

Eat it You Nasty Pig. on
    NREqxl5.jpg
  • Options
    CasualCasual Wiggle Wiggle Wiggle Flap Flap Flap Registered User regular
    edited February 2011
    tofu wrote: »

Have I missed something here? The shirt I saw just had a picture of a wolfs head with dickwolves written under it. Where does rape even come into it?

Casual on
  • Options
    edited February 2011
    I didn't see the response comic as mocking. Completely missing the point, but still being a good response to the faulty point.
    Casual wrote: »

Have I missed something here? The shirt I saw just had a picture of a wolfs head with dickwolves written under it. Where does rape even come into it?

Dickwolves are the victim of a heinous stereotype as congenital rapists.

MKR on
  • Options
    WillethWilleth Registered User regular
    edited February 2011
    I'm going to paste what I said in the other thread because I think it's relevant. Quotes are also from the other thread:

--
    Rorus Raz wrote: »
    Willeth wrote: »
    Druhim wrote: »
    Whatever your position in this mess, you're convinced it's the other side that's being the dick.

No. This is not the case.

I don't even think I've taken a side. I think that both parties have reacted very strongly, and I think the only people who have really been 'dicks' are Mike, with his ridiculous joking dismissal of people, and a select portion of the community who are pulling a /b/ whenever possible.

I think the strip, while perhaps inflammatory, is fine. Any topic should and can be the subject of humour. And hell, in this strip, rape wasn't even the subject. I think Stanton et al are perfectly justified in their outrage, irritation, or however it should best be described, especially at the shirt itself, and I think it's fair to call it a 'support Team Rape' shirt. I am certain that trigger words and events exist - at PAX 09, an acquaintance had to leave the event entirely because the crush outside the Main Theatre between was causing post-traumatic stress from his time in the military. I'm certain that the strip could have been a trigger for some people. However, I'm equally certain that the indication that Mike and Jerry should consider this when making any strip is laughable.

I'm annoyed at Penny Arcade for dealing with the situation incredibly badly. They didn't reject the premise of the detractors' arguments, and instead focused directly on the dickwolves themselves, a throwaway joke to reinforce the main one - thus making it the subject in a way it didn't need to be. I'm irritated with Stanton et al for assuming that the audience of Penny Arcade is not able to distinguish that the point of the comic isn't 'ha ha, rape'. I'm disappointed in the section of the community that decided they wanted to prove her right.

Does that count as a 'side'? If so, can we get more people on it?
    I'm almost with you, but Stanton et al have stated 1,000 times that they know the point of the comic. It's a subtle thing that's very hard to describe, but it's basically an associative effect that desensitizes people. I'm not entirely sold on the trigger issue, as there's likely tons of things that cause PTSD and nobody is going to be able to consider all the possibilities. I do think it's good for people to speak up and allow the creators to consider something they might hadn't before. In fact, few are calling for the comic to come down but rather just acknowledge that they weren't aware of the ramifications of what they did and how diverse the audience has grown in the past decade or so.

It's really the response that's pissed people off: the response comic just erected a strawman and the merch just pours salt on the wound. Mike's tweets are doing nothing to help the situation.

This isn't Jack Thompson, American Greetings, EA or some such. They're rape survivors, and I cannot say how terrible it is to wear a Dickwolf shirt at PAX just to spite these people.

So basically, I agree with you with a minor exception.

Oh, I don't think the people complaining about the comic don't understand it. But on my first impression of the idea of rape culture, a key part of it is the implication that discussing or mentioning something desensitizes people to it by default, which I immediately disagree with. When applied specifically to this strip, that implication applies to the PA audience, and as part of that audience I resent the supposition that I'm unable to differentiate between commentary, mention, and support.

What I know of rape culture, though, comes entirely from the mention of it over the last few days, and I've not read too much background or academic info that talks about this kind of psychology - so this might be a misinformed viewpoint.
    --

I've read this since, and I'm wondering if anyone knows of any psychological studies or whatnot I could read about this? As many good points as are made here, it's clearly a biased source.

Willeth on
    @vgreminders - Don't miss out on timed events in gaming!
    @gamefacts - Totally and utterly true gaming facts on the regular!
  • Options
    edited February 2011

We only know one thing about dickwolves. They rape slaves to sleep.

The shirt is a parody of a sports team shirt. Essentially we're rooting for a team named after slave rapers.

No not slave rappers.

Kagera on
  • Options
    Fuzzy Cumulonimbus CloudFuzzy Cumulonimbus Cloud Registered User regular
    edited February 2011

It was a taunt to the backlashers. I'm sure you can understand that there are overt statements and underlying covert statements that go with things. For example, if I knew you had lost your job yesterday, I could come to your house wearing a shirt that said "Proud to be employed." I could say "I'm just proud to be employed, dude!" but really I was egging you on by wearing that shirt.

Fuzzy Cumulonimbus Cloud on
  • Options
    skyknytskyknyt Registered User, ClubPA regular
    edited February 2011

I think this is the important thing to note in all of this. The problem is not comic one, it's the T-shirt, and the way response to that T-shirt has been handled.

And having Kurtz's awful social skills be made relevant again in any context, because good god that man is awful.

skyknyt on
    Tycho wrote:
    [skyknyt's writing] is like come kind of code that, when comprehended, unfolds into madness in the mind of the reader.
    PSN: skyknyt, Steam: skyknyt, Blizz: skyknyt#1160
This discussion has been closed.