As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

MINECRAFT: Important Server News In OP

• Options
    TheExAmTheExAm Gerrymandered your districts Registered User regular
    edited February 2011
    sarukun wrote: »
    Sarukon where is this giant mural thing of yours that people keep talking about?

I kind of want to see it.

I haven't bothered to start it yet, collecting the gold for it will take forever. Right now I'm building my house, and when that's done most of my time will be spent mining for gold and lapis and hunting for red and yellow flowers.

I have a veritable shit-ton of yellow dye if you need some. Got some orange, too.

TheExAm on
    6Jx6HOg.png
    Battlemans: DiscoCabbage | Elite: Dangerous: Aleksandr Khabaj
  • Options
    iamthepiemaniamthepieman Registered User regular
    edited February 2011
    ultimakay wrote: »
    so does Bukkit give you information like the most recent changes to a particular block and who did what to it?

like:

2011-02-29 12:05:45.251 x:23,y:100,z:-309,user:iamthepieman,action:destroy
    2011-02-29 12:05:47.251 x:23,y:100,z:-309,user:iamthepieman,action:placeitem(cobble)

Its similar to that, we can see any particular block's history. We get the ability through a plugin, as i dont think bukkit itself has that functionality built in, though it might.

that is very cool although it seems like that kind of record keeping would place a lot of additional load on the server.

iamthepieman on
  • Options
    jackaljackal Fuck Yes. That is an orderly anal warehouse. Registered User regular
    edited February 2011
    I think Bukkit uses MySQL to store the information which, being written by someone who isn't Notch, is really fast.

jackal on
  • Options
    edited February 2011
    jackal wrote: »
    I think Bukkit uses MySQL to store the information which, being written by someone who isn't Notch, is really fast.

yeah and now that i think of it, even with 30 users placing blocks as fast as possible that's still only 30-60 operations a second. Although to be fast it would have to keep local blocks in cache which might speed things up but would add a load to memory.

anyways, we'll see when it gets installed.

iamthepieman on
  • Options
    sarukunsarukun RIESLING OCEANRegistered User regular
    edited February 2011
    TheExAm wrote: »
    Sarukon where is this giant mural thing of yours that people keep talking about?

I haven't bothered to start it yet, collecting the gold for it will take forever. Right now I'm building my house, and when that's done most of my time will be spent mining for gold and lapis and hunting for red and yellow flowers.

I have a veritable shit-ton of yellow dye if you need some. Got some orange, too.

I gotta do some counting, I'm not sure how much orange I will need since all my calculations were originally done before the advent of dyes.

sarukun on
  • Options
    ultimakayultimakay Registered User regular
    edited February 2011
    jackal wrote: »

yeah and now that i think of it, even with 30 users placing blocks as fast as possible that's still only 30-60 operations a second. Although to be fast it would have to keep local blocks in cache which might speed things up but would add a load to memory.

anyways, we'll see when it gets installed.

We used it on the old map with Hey0 and it worked fine. Im not sure how the plugin works, but it didnt ever seem to add any additional stress to the server or cause slowdowns.

ultimakay on
    hLeTR.png
  • Options
    GloopGloop Registered User regular
    edited February 2011
    MrMonroe wrote: »
    photo-3.png

<3

Gloop on
  • Options
    TankHammerTankHammer Atlanta Ghostbuster Atlanta, GARegistered User regular
    edited February 2011
    Is everybody watching the YOGsCast? Because you should be. "Shadow of Israphel" is amazing but you should start with their basic Minecraft videos (You can skip to around episode 11 or so if you don't wanna go through them all) and then their "Survival Island" videos.

TankHammer on
  • Options
    sarukunsarukun RIESLING OCEANRegistered User regular
    edited February 2011
    TankHammer wrote: »
    Is everybody watching the YOGsCast? Because you should be. "Shadow of Israphel" is amazing but you should start with their basic Minecraft videos (You can skip to around episode 11 or so if you don't wanna go through them all) and then their "Survival Island" videos.

When Notch is "done" with Minecraft, the very next thing he should do is work on an expansion that supports story-type adventures like Shadow of Israphel.

sarukun on
  • Options
    TheExAmTheExAm Gerrymandered your districts Registered User regular
    edited February 2011
    TheExAm wrote: »

I gotta do some counting, I'm not sure how much orange I will need since all my calculations were originally done before the advent of dyes.

I've got 166 yellow and 25 orange, though punching sheep with 25 orange ought to get you at least twice that in orange wool if I'm thinking about this correctly.

TheExAm on
    6Jx6HOg.png
    Battlemans: DiscoCabbage | Elite: Dangerous: Aleksandr Khabaj
  • Options
    AneurhythmiaAneurhythmia Registered User regular
    edited February 2011
    skullandboners.jpg

Okay, this is clearly an out-dated render, but bear with me. The hill with the blue circle now has a building with a big hammer thing on top. The sign on it says Crafticus, and I don't know who that is or if they post here.

The red circle marks a little pasture structure that has been added in. Directly beneath it is some sort of water room. I've bored right up through both of these. If they're yours, let me know, so we can figure out what's going on.

I've built a rudimentary spiral stair down to a skeleton spawner, to try to establish public access. I think the water flow in it is bad, but it mostly works. Still, feel free to fix it if anyone knows what they're doing in that regard.

I just want to figure out whose stuff I dug through before I go digging a second hole, so I don't end up having to dig a third or fourth when I inevitably ruin someone else's something else.

Aneurhythmia on
  • Options
    edited February 2011

When Notch is "done" with Minecraft, the very next thing he should do is work on an expansion that supports story-type adventures like Shadow of Israphel.

When he's done with Minecraft I think he's going to work on whatever that other game his company wants to make. Then, when sales pitter out, he plans to release the source code to the public and the modding communities can run with it.

Minecraft 2 will be released after Mojang is acquired by a large game company like EA and it will have tons of polish and all the basic concepts of the original and all add-ons will be retail-released expansion-packs that add things like more animals, more minerals, more foods and things like mechanized machinery (elevators, and the like).

At least that's my prediction.

TankHammer on
  • Options
    edited February 2011

When he's done with Minecraft I think he's going to work on whatever that other game his company wants to make. Then, when sales pitter out, he plans to release the source code to the public and the modding communities can run with it.

Minecraft 2 will be released after Mojang is acquired by a large game company like EA and it will have tons of polish and all the basic concepts of the original and all add-ons will be retail-released expansion-packs that add things like more animals, more minerals, more foods and things like mechanized machinery (elevators, and the like).

At least that's my prediction.

and it will be "balanced" and playtested and everything will have a specific purpose and cost that is carefully weighed against its usefulness and it will be horrible.

iamthepieman on
  • Options
    edited February 2011
    Then we'll get people playing the new version arguing with people who only play 1.65 or whatever.

Years later, Notch will leave the company and start a new one with a 'spiritual sequel' to Minecraft a la Diablo2/Torchlight.

TankHammer on
  • Options
    AkootAkoot Registered User regular
    edited February 2011
    Strange how two bad players from my WoW server are now YouTube partners and make money by recording Minecraft videos. What a strange world we live in.

Although the videos are quite funny.

Akoot on
  • Options
    DerBeppoDerBeppo Registered User regular
    edited February 2011

He has said in the past that he wants to introduce a "story" element at some point. Whether that's just talk or something in the works remains to be seen.

DerBeppo on
  • Options
    edited February 2011
    Akoot wrote: »
    Strange how two bad players from my WoW server are now YouTube partners and make money by recording Minecraft videos. What a strange world we live in.

Although the videos are quite funny.

The fact that Xephos and Honeydew aren't very good at adventuring is part of why it's so good!

I used to play WoW on a server with internet celebrities too. I know how you feel.

TankHammer on
  • Options
    AkootAkoot Registered User regular
    edited February 2011
    I didn't even realise they had a fan base outside of my server untill a few months ago. I mean I figured a few goons would watch but it seems to have exploded in popularity lately.

Akoot on
  • Options
    edited February 2011
    Akoot wrote: »
    I didn't even realise they had a fan base outside of my server untill a few months ago. I mean I figured a few goons would watch but it seems to have exploded in popularity lately.

Yeah, I did track them down on SA a week or so ago.

Xephos anyway.

Is Minecraft down now or is this a problem on my end?

TankHammer on
  • Options
    edited February 2011
  • Options
    SeriouslySeriously Registered User regular
    edited February 2011
    even if that were a mod I'd use it all wrong

using invisibility to study the zombie in situ, learn the ways of creeper culture and spider society

Seriously on
  • Options
    divine willydivine willy Registered User regular
    edited February 2011
    skullandboners.jpg

Okay, this is clearly an out-dated render, but bear with me. The hill with the blue circle now has a building with a big hammer thing on top. The sign on it says Crafticus, and I don't know who that is or if they post here.

The red circle marks a little pasture structure that has been added in. Directly beneath it is some sort of water room. I've bored right up through both of these. If they're yours, let me know, so we can figure out what's going on.

I've built a rudimentary spiral stair down to a skeleton spawner, to try to establish public access. I think the water flow in it is bad, but it mostly works. Still, feel free to fix it if anyone knows what they're doing in that regard.

I just want to figure out whose stuff I dug through before I go digging a second hole, so I don't end up having to dig a third or fourth when I inevitably ruin someone else's something else.

I'm Crafticus in minecraft. I built that and just covered it up. I was trying to make a public egg collector and failed miserably. glad the space is being used more effectively, do what you want.

divine willy on
    gametag-Crafticus
  • Options
    RialeRiale I'm a little slow Registered User regular
    edited February 2011
    I'm starting to get disillusioned with my bigass castle/temple. I think it's just too big.

I might go run off into the wilderness and live a hermit life in some little hut. I'll probably wait till the next render goes live though so I can see where people are set up.

Riale on
    33c9nxz.gif
    Steam | XBL: Elazual | Last.fm
  • Options
    edited February 2011
    come join me riale. I live as a desert nomad slowly uncovering the relics of an ancient civilization long ago abandanded and covered in the sands of time when I'm not collecting wild flowers and mushrooms and figuring out ways to main and kill trespassers.

iamthepieman on
  • Options
    edited February 2011
    Hmm I don't know about desert, sand terrifies me. Actually, I'm usually terrified playing this game, with my combined fears of being smothered and claustrophobia. I was thinking something high up on a mountain, or like maybe a tree fort.

Riale on
    33c9nxz.gif
  • Options
    ExtermatottExtermatott Registered User regular
    edited February 2011
    Minecraft is the most terrifying game ever, it put Dead-space and Fear to shame.

Extermatott on
  • Options
    Vann DirasVann Diras Registered User regular
    edited February 2011
    I will always build on top of mountains because I like having a view

Vann Diras on
  • Options
    DoobhDoobh She/Her, Ace Pan/Bisexual 8-) What's up, bootlickers?Registered User regular
    edited February 2011
    Really? I build in front of mirrors for the same reason.

Doobh on
    Miss me? Find me on:

Twitch (I stream most days of the week)
    Twitter (mean leftist discourse)
  • Options
    edited February 2011
    Minecraft is the most terrifying game ever, it put Dead-space and Fear to shame.

this is so true.

i got lost in an underground cave system for almost an hour the other night. and it was small and fully lit! I just didn't notice the tiny hole that was my exit. toward the end I started to have a panic attack irl after going in circles and being unable to find my way out. had to step away for a moment. who knew blocks could be so terrifying?

Riale on
    33c9nxz.gif
  • Options
    jackaljackal Fuck Yes. That is an orderly anal warehouse. Registered User regular
    edited February 2011
    The worst part of deserts is what spawns in them. Creepers and spiders as far as the eye can see.

jackal on
  • Options
    SdkicksSdkicks Registered User regular
    edited February 2011
    hey guys, sorry about the huge cobblestone tower. Hindsight is 20/20 lol. I've remodeled it into a bio-dome type thing. Hopefully it's a little more aesthetically pleasing.

Sdkicks on
  • Options
    ultimakayultimakay Registered User regular
    edited February 2011
    Sdkicks wrote: »
    skullandboners.jpg

hey, I know the house belongs to Crafticus, and the pasture thing does too; however, I don't know if he still plans on using it or not. If you need me to, I can ask him for you.
    I'm Crafticus in minecraft. I built that and just covered it up. I was trying to make a public egg collector and failed miserably. glad the space is being used more effectively, do what you want.

ultimakay on
    hLeTR.png
  • Options
    AeytherAeyther Registered User regular
    edited February 2011
    Riale wrote: »

this is so true.

i got lost in an underground cave system for almost an hour the other night. and it was small and fully lit! I just didn't notice the tiny hole that was my exit. toward the end I started to have a panic attack irl after going in circles and being unable to find my way out. had to step away for a moment. who knew blocks could be so terrifying?

This, now add in hearing zombies and skeletons and spiders every few minutes.

Aeyther on
  • Options
    Calamity JaneCalamity Jane That Wrong Love Registered User regular
    edited February 2011
    connection refused?

Calamity Jane on
    twitter https://twitter.com/mperezwritesirl michelle patreon https://www.patreon.com/thatwronglove michelle's comic book from IMAGE COMICS you can order http://a.co/dn5YeUD
  • Options
    alsagoofyfoolalsagoofyfool Registered User regular
    edited February 2011
    SERVER DOWN!

alsagoofyfool on
  • Options
    edited February 2011
    son of a buttmother

divine willy on
    gametag-Crafticus
  • Options
    edited February 2011
    Does anyone else sketch out their ideas for minecraft projects?

iamthepieman on
  • Options
    edited February 2011
    that was all i did in class today

divine willy on
    gametag-Crafticus
  • Options
    nukanuka What are circles? Registered User regular
    edited February 2011
    It's up again.

nuka on