As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

MINECRAFT: Important Server News In OP

• Options
    MrMonroeMrMonroe passed out on the floor nowRegistered User regular
    edited February 2011
    photo-3.png

MrMonroe on
  • Options
    Virgil_Leads_YouVirgil_Leads_You Proud Father House GardenerRegistered User regular
    edited February 2011
    Depressperado
    I once claimed that you were secretly James Franko.
    How correct am I, and what's it like to be so wealthy and affluent?
    Have you ever thought about going the Bruce Wayne route?

Virgil_Leads_You on
    VayBJ4e.png
  • Options
    BaidolBaidol I will hold him off Escape while you canRegistered User regular
    edited February 2011
    I fixed up the North Road by homogenizing the walls and floor and finishing up the wooden bridge. There's a sort of glass junction that connects the cobble tunnel to the wood bridge that I'm not too fond of, so if the local denizens want to replace it (or everything else too), please do so.

Baidol on
    Steam Overwatch: Baidol#1957
  • Options
    sarukunsarukun RIESLING OCEANRegistered User regular
    edited February 2011
    MrMonroe wrote: »
    photo-3.png

Two in the same thread? Good work.

sarukun on
  • Options
    edited February 2011
    sarukun wrote: »
    photo-3.png

it seemed like you needed a reminder

I actually think the cactus palisade is pretty cool

it is unfortunate that the builder appears to have abandoned it, but that's what you get

Spawn looks like Houston right now. No zoning is a bad idea in heavily populated areas.

MrMonroe on
  • Options
    edited February 2011
    photo-3.png

it is unfortunate that the builder appears to have abandoned it, but that's what you get

Spawn looks like Houston right now. No zoning is a bad idea in heavily populated areas.

Did it? Did it really? Indignant perhaps, considering the rows that my little cauldron gold recipe and pixel-art mural caused and then having the shoe on the other foot and getting scolded for it, but hey, spilt milk.

sarukun on
  • Options
    PonyPony Registered User regular
    edited February 2011
    the whole idea behind my city i am building out in the wilderness is to establish zones first.

then be like "okay, go"

it's actually coming across really nicely, should be ready for people to come in and start building next week.

Pony on
  • Options
    DepressperadoDepressperado I just wanted to see you laughing in the pizza rainRegistered User regular
    edited February 2011
    if wanting to be james franco determined whether or not you were james franco I would be eight james francos.
    james franco

Depressperado on
  • Options
    edited February 2011
    if wanting to be james franco determined whether or not you were james franco I would be eight james francos.
    james franco

see a doctor, man

shit is out of control

Pony on
  • Options
    edited February 2011
    Pony wrote: »
    james franco

see a doctor, man

shit is out of control

In his defense, I would abuse the shit out of people thinking I was James Franco.

sarukun on
  • Options
    AneurhythmiaAneurhythmia Registered User regular
    edited February 2011
    Someone built a large wooden structure next to the Pit Stop in spawn, and they buried my major water source, which should have been clearly man-made, because it attached to the obviously unnatural moat they reworked in their building process. They also didn't spawn-proof their building, and I had to put more torches all over their shit to keep zombies from dropping on my head.

Also, I find giant structures in spawn a bit overwhelming, but I suspect they're an inevitability of development. My only argument might be that if a large structure is intended for use by only one person, that would be overly indulgent for a shared spawn area. And also, spawn-proof your shit.

Aneurhythmia on
  • Options
    edited February 2011
    Did it? Did it really? Indignant perhaps, considering the rows that my little cauldron gold recipe and pixel-art mural caused and then having the shoe on the other foot and getting scolded for it, but hey, spilt milk.

I think the only people that aesthetically objected to your work still qualified it with our right to build what you want. That doesn't make it free from criticism, though.

The gold recipe thing was a different issue about game balance.

I think you have a good point about communal agreement around spawn though.

Aneurhythmia on
  • Options
    DepressperadoDepressperado I just wanted to see you laughing in the pizza rainRegistered User regular
    edited February 2011
    I'm scared, I can't stop james francoing

Depressperado on
  • Options
    edited February 2011
    Pony, did your old mines have zombie and sider spawners?

Aneurhythmia on
  • Options
    SygnonSygnon Registered User regular
    edited February 2011
    the whole idea behind my city i am building out in the wilderness is to establish zones first.

then be like "okay, go"

it's actually coming across really nicely, should be ready for people to come in and start building next week.

I keep hoping there will be a mod that will spawn people arbitrarily far apart in the beginning, that way you will slowly encounter other players after you get established on your own

Sygnon on
    b0b11710e1ddcbfc1958f52a53cb7566.png
  • Options
    edited February 2011

mine didn't, but Nuka's did.

my old mine had a skeleton spawner, which i encased and turned into a bone mill. It formed the foundation of my shop, deep underground. I also created a massive pit mine and a whole field of obsidian i was slowly harvesting.

I've more or less abandoned my Darkwood home. There's still some shit there I want to rip out and take with me, I'm probably going to make a trip out there tonight to gather more of my shit, but most of my stuff is now out by Paradise Falls where my city is going up.

Pony on
  • Options
    edited February 2011

I think the only people that aesthetically objected to your work still qualified it with our right to build what you want. That doesn't make it free from criticism, though.

The gold recipe thing was a different issue about game balance.

I think you have a good point about communal agreement around spawn though.

Out of respect for those people and their objections, I chose to build it elsewhere. It is hardly surprising I would expect the same from others.

sarukun on
  • Options
    TankHammerTankHammer Atlanta Ghostbuster Atlanta, GARegistered User regular
    edited February 2011
    If pony actually does come through on his city project I think tha'd be pretty cool.

Pony, make sure you mark the lots with a designation for whether the site is zoned for residential, commercial, utility, industrial, park, etc.

TankHammer on
  • Options
    edited February 2011
    Sygnon wrote: »

then be like "okay, go"

I keep hoping there will be a mod that will spawn people arbitrarily far apart in the beginning, that way you will slowly encounter other players after you get established on your own

I would really enjoy something like this.

Actually, what I'd really like is something like this mixed with the game experience featured in the Yog'scasts.

sarukun on
  • Options
    edited February 2011
    photo-3.png

Well, I thought you were getting the shaft there. (though not on the cauldron recipe, that was just you getting indignant about how a mod should be in place to help you do one specific thing)

I think you're just lashing out at another project which really isn't so terrible of an eyesore as though you're determined to teach everyone else the same lesson you learned about not being the guy with the shoe. You're acting a lot more "petty retribution" than "spilt milk."

MrMonroe on
  • Options
    jackaljackal Fuck Yes. That is an orderly anal warehouse. Registered User regular
    edited February 2011

There's a zombie spawner trap built off of the north road tunnel (there's a door to it on the west wall of the tunnel and it is marked with a sign) if you need feathers (although skeleton spawners seem strictly better unless you have a huge fuck ton of flint).

jackal on
  • Options
    edited February 2011
    TankHammer wrote: »
    If pony actually does come through on his city project I think tha'd be pretty cool.

Pony, make sure you mark the lots with a designation for whether the site is zoned for residential, commercial, utility, industrial, park, etc.

basically I don't want to go through flattening and gridding out the whole god damn field, so what I'm going to do is build large neighborhood grids, which will have specific zoning.

each neighborhood will be connected to each other, and then I will fill the spaces in between with decorative space or whatever so the place doesn't get too crowded.

one neighborhood, for example, is intended to be right next to an area designated as a free open pit mine. the plots are only 10x10 and are right next to each other, good for people to build mining shacks as they rip into the pit. the plots being 10x10 will create a very "tenement" feel for the area, and I'm fine with that.

I've got an area for a park, and a small amount of big plots, like 20x20 and that. Those will probably move quickly, so basically the first residents will probably end up getting the sweet plots and other people will have to get other areas.

But yeah, the neighborhoods will be zoned. For example, near the port there will be a market district. The plots will be specifically designated as for shops and businesses. Personal homes go elsewhere.

Pony on
  • Options
    edited February 2011

mine didn't, but Nuka's did.

my old mine had a skeleton spawner, which i encased and turned into a bone mill. It formed the foundation of my shop, deep underground. I also created a massive pit mine and a whole field of obsidian i was slowly harvesting.

Ah, alright. I was mining under my spawn house, hit Prane's mine, and that hit a mine deal with these spawners, and I couldn't find my way back, so I was trying to figure out where to go up.

Aneurhythmia on
  • Options
    edited February 2011
    Well, I thought you were getting the shaft there. (though not on the cauldron recipe, that was just you getting indignant about how a mod should be in place to help you do one specific thing)

I think you're just lashing out at another project which really isn't so terrible of an eyesore as though you're determined to teach everyone else the same lesson you learned about not being the guy with the shoe. You're acting a lot more "petty retribution" than "spilt milk."

Well thanks for giving me evil-mastermind credit, but I really just think it's fuggin' ugly and if a bunch of other people think it shouldn't be there any more (especially if it's abandoned, as was suggested), it should be taken down because, again, spawn is communal. "Petty retribution" doesn't factor into it even a little bit; I would want that mess taken down and would be giving the same reasons for it even if I'd never planned a mural in the first place.

As for the cauldron, I'd like to remind you that wasn't even my idea in the first place.

sarukun on
  • Options
    ultimakayultimakay Registered User regular
    edited February 2011

Your wrong about the cauldron issue. When the idea came to change maps, I made the decision to get everyones ok(that was still active on the server) that we could change maps and that people were fine with abandoning projects that they had put potentially 2 months of work into. I made special concessions to Sarukun so that he was ok with us starting a new map. These concessions are between me and him, and I had discussed with him about a potential cauldron recipe for gold but realized it wouldnt work(this was before the new map was even up). Ive stated this once and I will do it again, if we have the cauldron it will only be used for blocks you cant get through normal game play (and flowers for map size reasons).

ultimakay on
    hLeTR.png
  • Options
    edited February 2011
    Thank you for that, ultima.

Edit: And for the record at the time, I told ultima that I would be okay with the new map regardless. What pissed me off was coming in with the idea that it would be in place and everybody crying foul over something that had no impact on them whatsoever, until it was pointed out that it could be used to affect PVP through the scarcity of Golden apples, at which point I conceded it was probably awful and shouldn't be allowed.

sarukun on
  • Options
    iamthepiemaniamthepieman Registered User regular
    edited February 2011
    Sarukon where is this giant mural thing of yours that people keep talking about?

I kind of want to see it.

iamthepieman on
  • Options
    edited February 2011
    Sarukon where is this giant mural thing of yours that people keep talking about?

I kind of want to see it.

I haven't bothered to start it yet, collecting the gold for it will take forever. Right now I'm building my house, and when that's done most of my time will be spent mining for gold and lapis and hunting for red and yellow flowers.

sarukun on
  • Options
    edited February 2011
    how big are we talking here? And can't you just use yellow wool? I'ts brighter than gold anyways.

iamthepieman on
  • Options
    edited February 2011
    Someone find me a good skeleton farm design. Burrowed right into the fuckers.

Aneurhythmia on
  • Options
    edited February 2011
    I compared yellow wool and gold when it was first added, gold looks better.

And the mural is around 100X100. When its done it will be visible from space. You can barely see all of it at once if you go to the top sky level. I will also be making an observation deck with a glass floor.

sarukun on
  • Options
    edited February 2011
    I see, so this is going to be built at bedrock level with the observation deck near cloud level?

You should make it a comic strip that can be read as people walk along a cloud-level walkway. It would give them something to do while they walked.

Make sure it is a funny, but also a classy strip.

iamthepieman on
  • Options
    edited February 2011
    I see, so this is going to be built at bedrock level with the observation deck near cloud level?

You should make it a comic strip that can be read as people walk along a cloud-level walkway. It would give them something to do while they walked.

Make sure it is a funny, but also a classy strip.

No, you can fit all of it on screen if I build it at sealevel.

Which is part of the plan, I intend to use the ocean to make a lot of it, since there's so much blue in it.

sarukun on
  • Options
    edited February 2011
    Incidentally, I think we should have a rule to deal with abandoned structures.

If someone hasn't worked on something for a while, a mod could certify a notice of demolition at their discretion. The complainant posts notices everywhere in the condemned building and ten days later anyone can take it down.

Plus I guess you post in here too.

MrMonroe on
  • Options
    edited February 2011
    Incidentally, I think we should have a rule to deal with abandoned structures.

If someone hasn't worked on something for a while, a mod could certify a notice of demolition at their discretion. The complainant posts notices everywhere in the condemned building and ten days later anyone can take it down.

Plus I guess you post in here too.

We have done this in the past, people would post that they are abandoning their place and that its now free to be used or taken down by anyone else.

ultimakay on
    hLeTR.png
  • Options
    edited February 2011
    man, 100x100 is 10,000 blocks. I'd be worried about vandalism for something with so much gold and lapis in it that is also so exposed for everyone to see.

iamthepieman on
  • Options
    edited February 2011
    man, 100x100 is 10,000 blocks. I'd be worried about vandalism for something with so much gold and lapis in it that is also so exposed for everyone to see.

When we get bukkit we will have a much easier time catching and banning people who vandalize things.

ultimakay on
    hLeTR.png
  • Options
    edited February 2011

I wasn't concerned about vandalism until we had that douchebag running around setting shit on fire.

But as with the cactus eyesore at spawn, it seems most people on the server have the restrait not to fuck with people's work, and in the case of accidents most usually fess up, apologize, and offer to help fix it. Y'all might be a bunch of snarky assholes, but vandals? I think not.

And if I'm proven wrong, well, lesson learned.

Edit: and bukkit, apparently. Moreover, as with my obsidian wall, the mods aren't reluctant about replacing lost goods/work.

sarukun on
  • Options
    edited February 2011
    so does Bukkit give you information like the most recent changes to a particular block and who did what to it?

like:

2011-02-29 12:05:45.251 x:23,y:100,z:-309,user:iamthepieman,action:destroy
    2011-02-29 12:05:47.251 x:23,y:100,z:-309,user:iamthepieman,action:placeitem(cobble)

iamthepieman on
  • Options
    edited February 2011
    so does Bukkit give you information like the most recent changes to a particular block and who did what to it?

like:

2011-02-29 12:05:45.251 x:23,y:100,z:-309,user:iamthepieman,action:destroy
    2011-02-29 12:05:47.251 x:23,y:100,z:-309,user:iamthepieman,action:placeitem(cobble)

Its similar to that, we can see any particular block's history. We get the ability through a plugin, as i dont think bukkit itself has that functionality built in, though it might.

ultimakay on
    hLeTR.png
This discussion has been closed.