As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Yo Momma So U[Glee] She...

• Options
    SchrodingerSchrodinger Registered User regular
    edited March 2011
    VoodooV wrote: »
    I thought they were all sophmores last season.

I would have liked Emma's song more if two seconds in you didn't automatically realize "oh dear, she doesn't know what Afternoon Delight really means, does she?"

I mean I get it, she's the quiet, naive one with the germ phobia, but that just seemed a little too naive.

Arrested Development did that joke better.

Schrodinger on
  • Options
    silence1186silence1186 Character shields down! As a wingmanRegistered User regular
    edited March 2011
    There were a LOT of songs in this episode.

silence1186 on
  • Options
    KyouguKyougu Registered User regular
    edited March 2011
    The last one was predictably catchy.

And I'll give credit where credit is due, wasn't expecting an actual gay makeout scene.

Kyougu on
  • Options
    AeolusdallasAeolusdallas Registered User regular
    edited March 2011
    Yeah that last song was really catchy.

Aeolusdallas on
  • Options
    DacDac Registered User regular
    edited March 2011
    VoodooV wrote: »
    I thought they were all sophmores last season.

I would have liked Emma's song more if two seconds in you didn't automatically realize "oh dear, she doesn't know what Afternoon Delight really means, does she?"

I mean I get it, she's the quiet, naive one with the germ phobia, but that just seemed a little too naive.

Yeaaaah.

Didn't she have Super Sexy Song Time with Will during the Rocky Horror episode? And got into it?

Doesn't make a Hell of a lot of sense for her to not understand what Afternoon Delight is.

Dac on
    Steam: catseye543
    PSN: ShogunGunshow
    Origin: ShogunGunshow
  • Options
    Doctor DetroitDoctor Detroit Registered User regular
    edited March 2011
    So, realistically, Sue's next scene should be in prison.

Doctor Detroit on
  • Options
    devCharlesdevCharles Gainesville, FLRegistered User regular
    edited March 2011
    So, realistically, Sue's next scene should be in prison.

I don't think they care enough regarding should. This show has a sometimes annoying quality where it can go from over the top cartoonish (someone getting away with pushing someone down a flight of stairs) to super serious (a lot of the gay stuff.) It certainly does keep you guessing.

devCharles on
    Xbox Live: Hero Protag
    SteamID: devCharles
    twitter: https://twitter.com/charlesewise
  • Options
    Robos A Go GoRobos A Go Go Registered User regular
    edited March 2011
    Big-Ass Heart was more memorable than the generic, "Suck it, people who don't like us" song at the end. I can't count the number of times I've heard someone say, "The popular kids are going to end up washing our cars," in one context or another.

I was more impressed with Quinn's heart-breaking admission that she only wants Finn because she knows she can't do better than I was with Rachel's response to it. It's like Rachel didn't realize that Quinn was effectively saying that Rachel has a better future ahead of her, whereas Quinn's victory over her for Finn's heart will inevitably be the high point of her dull life.

Robos A Go Go on
  • Options
    SparserLogicSparserLogic Registered User regular
    edited March 2011
    More memorable, definitely.

... I still like the "Suck it, people who don't like us" song a ton.

SparserLogic on
  • Options
    Kipling217Kipling217 Registered User regular
    edited March 2011
    The song was called Loser Like Me. I liked it and I suspect the majority of the teen audience does too. Wouldn't surprise me that it got serious airplay, its exactly the kind of airy pop ballad that top 40 stations likes.

Kipling217 on
    The sky was full of stars, every star an exploding ship. One of ours.
  • Options
    edited March 2011
    Wow a lot of Rachel moments where I don't hate her and (gasp) actually feel a little empathy.

It's like it's season 1 again.

Now let's see how they make me hate her guts again.

Dac on
  • Options
    RikushixRikushix VancouverRegistered User regular
    edited March 2011
    You know, when they said they were going to give Glee a Sarah Palin type character who actually is symbolic of the tea party, they made it sound like they were going to make her pretty sympathetic.

Definitely not.

Rikushix on
    StKbT.jpg
  • Options
    SpoitSpoit *twitch twitch* Registered User regular
    edited March 2011
    She was still more sympathetic then kurt :P

Spoit on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    edited March 2011
    Spoit wrote: »
    She was still more sympathetic then kurt :P

huh what

what are you even trying to say here

Because unless I'm very much mistaken, you're saying Kurt isn't a sympathetic character.
    O_o

Dac on
  • Options
    silence1186silence1186 Character shields down! As a wingmanRegistered User regular
    edited March 2011
    There are people in this thread who think Kurt is a Mary Sue, not deserving of sympathy.

silence1186 on
  • Options
    edited March 2011
    Yeah, I dont think the show has ever mocked kurt the way it mocked tammy.

Rikushix on
    StKbT.jpg
  • Options
    edited March 2011
    I'd argue Tammy was just as much a stereotype as Kurt can be when the plot's not all about him.

Doctor Detroit on
  • Options
    edited March 2011
    There are people in this thread who think Kurt is a Mary Sue, not deserving of sympathy.

Kurt is not a perfect character. Kurt makes a lot of mistakes, and sometimes does shit that's underhanded or stalkerish/creepy. The show doesn't glorify or gloss over those parts, either; Finn's called him out on it. His dad's called him out on it. He doesn't get a free ride.

Dunno what people mean when they say he's a Mary Sue, because he sure as Hell doesn't fit the description of any Mary Sue I've ever seen.

Dac on
  • Options
    edited March 2011
    Kurt's definitely not perfect, but how some of you can compare the way his character has been treated with that of Tammy (of what we've seen of her so far) is frankly beyond me.

Rikushix on
    StKbT.jpg
  • Options
    OrganichuOrganichu poops peesRegistered User, Moderator mod
    edited March 2011
    i find kurt boring and unlikeable... probably my least favorite of the 'main' cast

but i definitely don't consider him a gary stu or whatever

Organichu on
  • Options
    Kipling217Kipling217 Registered User regular
    edited March 2011
    So..... from 2 minutes of screentime and 10-12 lines we get the idea that Tammy has been unfairly treated....

Okay. I personaly don't mind how Tammy was treated. Its in keeping with the shows broad stereotypes.

I got to ask: what is the tea party/Sarah Palin's view of Glee kids in general? You know kids that are gay, like culture or have dreams beyond living in a small midwest town?

Kipling217 on
    The sky was full of stars, every star an exploding ship. One of ours.
  • Options
    edited March 2011
    I find it hard to care about the Glee club's victories when the judges are so cartoonishly incompetent. It gives you the impression that their efforts and how hard they worked didn't actually mean a damned thing because the judges are basically throwing darts at a board.

Hopefully that shit isn't gonna happen at nationals.

(Ironically, the only judge I've somewhat seen as respectable was ... Sue.)

Dac on
  • Options
    edited March 2011
    I dunno, the newscaster judge says something funny every time.

silence1186 on
  • Options
    edited March 2011
    "The funny" was not what I was talking about.

Dac on
  • Options
    edited March 2011
    Dac wrote: »
    I find it hard to care about the Glee club's victories when the judges are so cartoonishly incompetent. It gives you the impression that their efforts and how hard they worked didn't actually mean a damned thing because the judges are basically throwing darts at a board.

This is actually a pretty fair point. There's nothing inherently musical about any of those people. Also, what happened to only having to place 2nd at regionals to go to nationals. Isn't that what happened last year? Also, Mercedes said Aural Intensity beat them last year like there was a reason beyond the fact they pandered to the two celebrity judges. It's just a touch confusing.

The songs sounded somewhat generic, which I actually kind of like. If a bunch of kids supposedly wrote the songs, and they were at a ridiculously high quality level, I think it would have set a precedent going forward that they're able to come up with full great original songs in a week. It's also good that they didn't get someone to write the songs that has a very distinctive song writing style, so it feels more like an actual Glee song.

Blackbird was excellent. I enjoyed all the Warblers songs. The original song Puck did was the most memorable to me.

devCharles on
  • Options
    edited March 2011
    I believe it was a tie last year, which earned both schools the spot at nationals.

SparserLogic on
  • Options
    SchrodingerSchrodinger Registered User regular
    edited March 2011
    Last year, they had to place in 2nd to keep their club.

It had nothing to do with going to nationals.

Schrodinger on
  • Options
    edited March 2011
    Last year, they had to place in 2nd to keep their club.

It had nothing to do with going to nationals.

You're totally right, my memory must be scrambled.

SparserLogic on
  • Options
    N1tSt4lkerN1tSt4lker Registered User regular
    edited March 2011
    Dac wrote: »

Hopefully that shit isn't gonna happen at nationals.

(Ironically, the only judge I've somewhat seen as respectable was ... Sue.)

I've got to agree about Sue. Which was a nice touch to her character.

I do kind of wonder, though, if Midwestern rural competitions (in whatever category) don't more often have "celebrity" judges rather than professional ones. Maybe that's a stereotype many people have that show is pandering to?

N1tSt4lker on
  • Options
    edited April 2011
    So I really liked the Warbler's rendition of "Somewhere Only We Know," and felt they pulled it off really well. Overall, a good episode, I thought.

silence1186 on
  • Options
    TaramoorTaramoor Storyteller Registered User regular
    edited April 2011
    -Great mashup of Unpretty and I Feel Pretty

-Santana or Zizes-centric episodes are now my favorite episodes

-No Sue. Which was odd, but she'll be back.

-A better-than-average episode.

-Raising Hope is still outstanding.

Taramoor on
  • Options
    edited April 2011
    Once again, my enjoyment of this episode coincides with a lack of Sue.

Also, while a great performance, when the show came back from a break to have Kurt sing, then went to commercial again right after...yeah, you can tell they padded this episode out.

Doctor Detroit on
  • Options
    edited April 2011
    Once again, my enjoyment of this episode coincides with a lack of Sue.

Also, while a great performance, when the show came back from a break to have Kurt sing, then went to commercial again right after...yeah, you can tell they padded this episode out.

It was 90 minutes instead of 60 so they could add a bunch more songs, so you're exactly right.

silence1186 on
  • Options
    Robos A Go GoRobos A Go Go Registered User regular
    edited April 2011
    I had to fast-forward through all the parts where they talked about body image. I just hate it when people act like plastic surgery violates the sanctity of the human body.

Robos A Go Go on
  • Options
    saint2esaint2e Registered User regular
    edited April 2011
    So I really liked the Warbler's rendition of "Somewhere Only We Know," and felt they pulled it off really well. Overall, a good episode, I thought.

Agreed, wholeheartedly. Kurt's solo I could've done without.

saint2e on
    banner_160x60_01.gif
  • Options
    edited April 2011
    saint2e wrote: »

I thought Kurt did a good job, but that song just dragged on towards the end.

silence1186 on
  • Options
    SpoitSpoit *twitch twitch* Registered User regular
    edited April 2011
    saint2e wrote: »

The a capella made his parts of the episodes a lot more watchable. And/or fast forwardable through. I'm sad it's over

Spoit on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    chaosisorderchaosisorder Cupcake Princess and Pinny Whore OregonRegistered User regular
    edited April 2011
    Can't we all just be happy Paltrow is gone?

chaosisorder on
  • Options
    ElJeffeElJeffe Moderator, ClubPA mod
    edited April 2011
    I thought the message of the show was sort of schizophrenic, what with "Let's all find something we dislike about ourselves and embrace it! ...except you, Pillsbury, because you're broken and need to fix it."

That aside, I liked the episode.

And fuck you, Mr. Paltrow Hater. I liked her character. :P

ElJeffe on
    I submitted an entry to Lego Ideas, and if 10,000 people support me, it'll be turned into an actual Lego set!If you'd like to see and support my submission, follow this link.
  • Options
    edited April 2011
    Honestly, I didn't particularly like the episode or songs they used. I'm a little sad to see the Warblers go to be honest, as I really liked their more understated approach to Glee performances.

devCharles on