As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[Fox/adult Disney animation] Krapopolis is apparently appropriately named

• Options
    devCharlesdevCharles Gainesville, FLRegistered User regular
    edited May 2011
    Synthesis wrote: »
    I didn't like Conway Twitty the first time. I may be in the minority when it comes to that in this thread.

Shockingly, another three times didn't improve my impression of it.

I felt the same pretty much.

The reason I liked the Star Wars episodes is that they couldn't rely on the manatee jokes and actually had to rely on making real jokes and doing actual satire. Robot Chicken still did it better though.

devCharles on
    Xbox Live: Hero Protag
    SteamID: devCharles
    twitter: https://twitter.com/charlesewise
  • Options
    GodfatherGodfather Registered User regular
    edited May 2011
    Family Guy took a lot of the great one-shot jokes from Season 2 and ran them into the ground.

My favorite one was the Ollie Williams one (the first time around). It was so completely random and hilarous.

And then they did it again. And again. And again. And again.

Godfather on
  • Options
    JuliusJulius Captain of Serenity on my shipRegistered User regular
    edited May 2011
    Mr Ray wrote: »
    There may have been something else present at College which influenced my taste in television,

Yeah it's really the only way I can enjoy it. Normally the show has too many "heh, that's kinda funny" moments and not enough very funny moments and I usually can't work up the patience to sit trough the kinda funny stuff for the good jokes.

Julius on
  • Options
    emnmnmeemnmnme Registered User regular
    edited May 2011
    Godfather wrote: »
    Family Guy took a lot of the great one-shot jokes from Season 2 and ran them into the ground.

My favorite one was the Ollie Williams one (the first time around). It was so completely random and hilarous.

And then they did it again. And again. And again. And again.

's gonna rain!

emnmnme on
  • Options
    maximumzeromaximumzero I...wait, what? New Orleans, LARegistered User regular
    edited May 2011
    Really? a flanders and crabapple episode? at least they tried to make it interesting with the voting thing.

I was certainly surprised, but I wonder if the whole thing is pointless; will their relationship be permanent, like Apu's marriage, or eventually reset like Skinner and Krabopple's engagement (and I was rooting for that one, personally)?

Also, I had no idea they were working on a sequel to Simpsons Arcade.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7TsW-KIRYac&feature=player_embedded#at=177

Doesn't look that good.

It's been out for some time. I bought it on sale. It's bland as hell.

maximumzero on
    FU7kFbw.png
    Switch: 6200-8149-0919 / Wii U: maximumzero / 3DS: 0860-3352-3335 / eBay Shop
  • Options
    TexiKenTexiKen Dammit! That fish really got me!Registered User regular
    edited May 2011
    Did the original arcade game ever get up on XBox Live?

TexiKen on
  • Options
    edited May 2011
    TexiKen wrote: »
    Did the original arcade game ever get up on XBox Live?

Nope.

maximumzero on
    FU7kFbw.png
  • Options
    SynthesisSynthesis Honda Today! Registered User regular
    edited May 2011
    devCharles wrote: »
    Synthesis wrote: »
    I didn't like Conway Twitty the first time. I may be in the minority when it comes to that in this thread.

Shockingly, another three times didn't improve my impression of it.

I felt the same pretty much.

The reason I liked the Star Wars episodes is that they couldn't rely on the manatee jokes and actually had to rely on making real jokes and doing actual satire. Robot Chicken still did it better though.

The thing for me, strange I suppose, is that satire tends to be very hit or miss. This is the Fox thread, or I'd bring up South Park as an example (heretically, I no longer like the show for precisely this reason). It's about as tired as random jokes to me.

I'd like to think I enjoy American Dad because the satire it relies on is very self-contained and self-referential, which is some of the few satire I haven't tired out of. Of course, every so often it wanders out into SP or more general territory, and I find it boring (Yes, I know, the Japanese are all perverts, liberals are all secular wimps, etc.). It's difficult to explain.

Synthesis on
  • Options
    azith28azith28 Registered User regular
    edited May 2011
    You know, the Seth- Flintstones thing isnt really that much of a stretch.

The Flintstones were a cartoon version of the honeymooners after all. i've got very mixed feelings here. First off the idea of a more mature Flintstones appeals to me as a way to continue to stretch the media as less a kids-only format. Do we need it especially? not really...if he was given this property to work with before family guy became a household name then I dont think it would have especially been very different then family guy, so I see this more as a way that he can retell the same stories with different characters.

I'm willing to watch it....and I'm old enough that it treads on my nostalgia.

azith28 on
    Stercus, Stercus, Stercus, Morituri Sum
  • Options
    edited May 2011
    Maybe Seth can go in a direction that's not focused on an animated family as its prime cast.

It's like we're back in the family sitcom days with the TGIF line up. It'd be nice for him to actually leave the Simpsons formula, and see what it's like.

devCharles on
  • Options
    JokermanJokerman Everything EverywhereRegistered User regular
    edited May 2011
    Hexmage-PA wrote: »
    I heard Seth Macfarlane say in an interview he likes a gag to go on just a little too long, and then have it go longer. No shit, I totally hadn't noticed what with the extended musical numbers and Conway Twitty and all. But when a gag goes on for too long and falls flat its just plain horrible to watch.

I watched the Star Wars special that was aired last night, and about halfway through the 10 minute sequence of all the characters nodding in turn at one another I had to restrain myself from kicking my TV.

You think doing a version of an hour and a half long movie they'd be cutting the fat whenever possible.

Jokerman on
  • Options
    cloudeaglecloudeagle Registered User regular
    edited May 2011
    Jokerman wrote: »
    I heard Seth Macfarlane say in an interview he likes a gag to go on just a little too long, and then have it go longer. No shit, I totally hadn't noticed what with the extended musical numbers and Conway Twitty and all. But when a gag goes on for too long and falls flat its just plain horrible to watch.

I watched the Star Wars special that was aired last night, and about halfway through the 10 minute sequence of all the characters nodding in turn at one another I had to restrain myself from kicking my TV.

You think doing a version of an hour and a half long movie they'd be cutting the fat whenever possible.

Ten minutes? Seriously?

I know it's the knee-jerk reaction, but I'm starting to think the writers really are putting these things in simply so there's less to write and they can crank them out quicker.

Man. Remember when the "Sideshow Bob steps on many rakes" sequence seemed bizarre and the absolute cutting edge of comedy? And went from funny to awkward and back around to funny? It felt like an eternity, but you know how long that actually went on? Twenty seconds.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EryhQdXTjP8

cloudeagle on
    Switch: 3947-4890-9293
  • Options
    Hexmage-PAHexmage-PA Registered User regular
    edited May 2011
    cloudeagle wrote: »

Ten minutes? Seriously?

I was exaggerating; it was more like 2 or 3.

Hexmage-PA on
  • Options
    edited May 2011

Well the scrolling intro did say basically "Fuck it we're phoning it in." did it not?

maximumzero on
    FU7kFbw.png
  • Options
    edited May 2011
    I thought the title crawl was facetious. Whoops.

devCharles on
  • Options
    SentrySentry Registered User regular
    edited May 2011
    I thought the title crawl was facetious. Whoops.

Nope. It was a warning label.

Sentry on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    wrote:
    When I was a little kid, I always pretended I was the hero,' Skip said.
    'Fuck yeah, me too. What little kid ever pretended to be part of the lynch-mob?'
  • Options
    edited May 2011

Ten minutes? Seriously?

That's still about 10 times as long as any "too long" joke needs to be.

cloudeagle on
  • Options
    JuliusJulius Captain of Serenity on my shipRegistered User regular
    edited May 2011

Ten minutes? Seriously?

Unless you're high.

Julius on
  • Options
    mrt144mrt144 King of the Numbernames Registered User regular
    edited May 2011
    I just noticed that there has been very few shows on Fox Animation Sundays that aren't based on families (most importantly, looking at the lineup now; 2 parents, 2-3 kids).

This isn't new, but BAM, it just hit me in the face.

mrt144 on
  • Options
    HonkHonk Honk is this poster. Registered User, __BANNED USERS regular
    edited May 2011
    Julius wrote: »

Ten minutes? Seriously?

Unless you're high.

I actually thought that part was the funniest thing in the whole movie/episode, probably because I was in the right mood for it at the time.

But when they do the same with their horrible musical numbers or Conway Twitty I get enraged and change the channel.

Honk on
    PSN: Honkalot
  • Options
    HitsuraptorHitsuraptor Registered User regular
    edited May 2011
    Just read about this on cracked and wow, apparently all the little mcbain clips from 91-93 on the simpsons go together to make a movie

McBain

Hitsuraptor on
  • Options
    SentrySentry Registered User regular
    edited May 2011
    so I just watched the Simpsons from this week.

So here is a chance for them to permanently change something about the show and have it have a lasting impact, and instead of finding it more interesting I was just incredibly bored. Now I don't know what to complain about.

Sentry on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    wrote:
    When I was a little kid, I always pretended I was the hero,' Skip said.
    'Fuck yeah, me too. What little kid ever pretended to be part of the lynch-mob?'
  • Options
    JokermanJokerman Everything EverywhereRegistered User regular
    edited May 2011
    Honk wrote: »
    Julius wrote: »

Ten minutes? Seriously?

Unless you're high.

I actually thought that part was the funniest thing in the whole movie/episode, probably because I was in the right mood for it at the time.

But when they do the same with their horrible musical numbers or Conway Twitty I get enraged and change the channel.

I thought the scene with Peter Solo having the Imperial officers dig there own graves with there own helmet was waaay funny.

Jokerman on
  • Options
    King RiptorKing Riptor Registered User regular
    edited May 2011
    Sentry wrote: »
    so I just watched the Simpsons from this week.

So here is a chance for them to permanently change something about the show and have it have a lasting impact, and instead of finding it more interesting I was just incredibly bored. Now I don't know what to complain about.

I find just saying these current writers are awful covers all bases

King Riptor on
    I have a podcast now. It's about video games and anime!Find it here.
  • Options
    edited May 2011

I thought the scene with Peter Solo having the Imperial officers dig there own graves with there own helmet was waaay funny.

Yeah, that was by far the funniest part of the entire thing. Especially since Peter said he just wanted something dark to offset all the "cutesy Ewok crap".

Hexmage-PA on
  • Options
    KirbithKirbith I appear to be made of delicious cake. Registered User regular
    edited May 2011
    Just read about this on cracked and wow, apparently all the little mcbain clips from 91-93 on the simpsons go together to make a movie

McBain

HAHA that was pretty damn fantastic. I had no idea of that at all. <3 McBane though.

Kirbith on
    Backloggery | Steam - Kirbith | PSN - Kirbith | 3DS: 4957-2249-4817
  • Options
    GimGim a tall glass of water Registered User regular
    edited May 2011
    I'm confused how the Communist Nazis keeping UNICEF pennies from the weak orphans has to do with the master plot.

Gim on
  • Options
    edited May 2011
    Kirbith wrote: »

McBain

HAHA that was pretty damn fantastic. I had no idea of that at all. <3 McBane though.

Given the action movies I remember in the ten years following, I guess the McBane formula was timeless?

Synthesis on
  • Options
    edited May 2011
    The Commie Nazi thing remains one of the funniest things I've ever seen.

devCharles on
  • Options
    edited May 2011
    It was good enough McBane, it's good enough for Air Force One.

Synthesis on
  • Options
    ZythonZython Registered User regular
    edited May 2011
    The Commie Nazi thing remains one of the funniest things I've ever seen.

"That's what I call 'break neck speed'!"
    "Mom, a man just died..."

Zython on
    Switch: SW-3245-5421-8042 | 3DS Friend Code: 4854-6465-0299 | PSN: Zaithon
    Steam: pazython
  • Options
    edited May 2011
    I love the Adult Swim preview for the latest American Dad episode: "Then stupid ass Steve gets kidnapped by a gorilla!"

Hexmage-PA on
  • Options
    Donkey KongDonkey Kong Putting Nintendo out of business with AI nips Registered User regular
    edited June 2011
    This popped up on Hulu and a laughed pretty hard when I watched it.

Re: Seth MacFarlane and The Flintsones

http://www.hulu.com/watch/246224/the-morning-after-top-ten-moments-number-2

Donkey Kong on
    Thousands of hot, local singles are waiting to play at bubbulon.com.
  • Options
    Professor SnugglesworthProfessor Snugglesworth Registered User regular
    edited June 2011
    Kirbith wrote: »

McBain

I always get a chuckle from "Little Suzie is growing up."

It's so wonderfully deadpan.

Professor Snugglesworth on
  • Options
    edited June 2011
    Huh. Apparently my DVR actually caught my local station re-airing the latest ep of the Simpsons at 3 a.m. after their tornado freakout and I just now found it.

It's not bad, I certainly got a few chuckles out of it, but man, that's got to be the least intriguing season-ending cliffhanger ever.

cloudeagle on
  • Options
    RanadielRanadiel Registered User regular
    edited June 2011
    Was going through the recordings on my DVR and came across an American Dad episode I hadn't seen yet - Fart-break Hotel. Man, is it just me or does American Dad have the best celebrity cameos?

Ranadiel on
  • Options
    Zilla360Zilla360 21st Century. |She/Her| Trans* Woman In Aviators Firing A Bazooka. ⚛️Registered User regular
    edited June 2011
    Will those hurricane episodes ever get shown? Or is it still a pretty raw subject?

Zilla360 on
  • Options
    ZythonZython Registered User regular
    edited June 2011
    Zilla360 wrote: »
    Will those hurricane episodes ever get shown? Or is it still a pretty raw subject?

I think Fox said they'd air them this coming season.

Zython on
    Switch: SW-3245-5421-8042 | 3DS Friend Code: 4854-6465-0299 | PSN: Zaithon
    Steam: pazython
  • Options
    WhereisbobWhereisbob Registered User new member
    edited June 2011
    Ranadiel wrote: »
    Was going through the recordings on my DVR and came across an American Dad episode I hadn't seen yet - Fart-break Hotel. Man, is it just me or does American Dad have the best celebrity cameos?

Have you ever watched Extras (The BBC Series)?

Both seasons had some awesome cameos.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Fg_cwI1Xj4M

Whereisbob on
  • Options
    SchrodingerSchrodinger Registered User regular
    edited June 2011

McBain

Is that... VHS?

Schrodinger on