Options

[Fox/adult Disney animation] Krapopolis is apparently appropriately named

• Options
    Golden YakGolden Yak Burnished Bovine The sunny beaches of CanadaRegistered User regular
    edited May 2011
    Zilla360 wrote: »

Well, I laughed more than I did during the actual movie. So there's that, I suppose...

Golden Yak on
    H9f4bVe.png
  • Options
    cloudeaglecloudeagle Registered User regular
    edited May 2011
    There's also some new show or another called Allen Gregory, which Gawker describes as "Jonah Hill gives the voice to a precocious rich kid who stoops to the level of attending public school."

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xL3aOAryx_c&feature=player_embedded

Welp, he's certainly punchable.

cloudeagle on
    Switch: 3947-4890-9293
  • Options
    TubularLuggageTubularLuggage Registered User regular
    edited May 2011
    So Napoleon Dynamite and Allen Gregory both look beyond terrible.

The only possible explanation here is that Fox hasn't cancelled many new shows lately, and they've gotta get their fix.

TubularLuggage on
  • Options
    KirbithKirbith I appear to be made of delicious cake. Registered User regular
    edited May 2011

The only possible explanation here is that Fox hasn't cancelled many new shows lately, and they've gotta get their fix.

I could not agree with you more. I'm pretty sure Allen Gregory is about as bad as a show can get for me. I can't stand Jonah Hill and yea. It looks beyond awful. I am mostly bummed out that I'll have to wait til mid season to watch more Bob's Burgers.

Kirbith on
    Backloggery | Steam - Kirbith | PSN - Kirbith | 3DS: 4957-2249-4817
  • Options
    TexiKenTexiKen Dammit! That fish really got me!Registered User regular
    edited May 2011
    Allen Gregory, what the hell:

-animation that looks like it's from an Educational cartoon
    -Peter Parker and Dean Pelton are dating
    -ruin a good Phil Collins song why don't you
    -oh look a little rich kid making jokes about Charlie Rose and having sushi and wine for lunch, how original hey guys listen to this great new Celine Dion song from Titanic it's soooooo good!

TexiKen on
  • Options
    3v3v Registered User regular
    edited May 2011
    Is that the dean from Community?

3v on
    512285-1.png
    PantsB wrote: »
    Koreans 4 Gate like this
    White People 4 gate like this
  • Options
    edited May 2011
    Finally saw Sunday's Simpsons. Not bad, but not truly good either.

cloudeagle on
  • Options
    GreasyKidsStuffGreasyKidsStuff MOMMM! ROAST BEEF WANTS TO KISS GIRLS ON THE TITTIES!Registered User regular
    edited May 2011
    I thought Allan Gregory looked fine. Not amazing but not offensively bad.

GreasyKidsStuff on
  • Options
    InvisibleInvisible Registered User regular
    edited May 2011
    Wow. I didn't think it was possible for Napoleon Dynamite to be worse than the movie, but it is. Bravo Fox. Bravo.

The other show looks like it was made on that cheap, free animation thing I've seen on youtube and that really awful insurance commercial. The show would have to be pretty good, better than that trailer, for me to get past how the animation looks.

I can't wait to see Seth MacFarlane's The Flintstones. I imagine it'll be the television equivalent to American McGee's video game series. My guess in the first few episodes we'll see a rehash of the Family Guy Flintstones joke about the animal tampon and a prehistoric animal dildo.

Invisible on
  • Options
    klokateer9047klokateer9047 A.K.A Captain Freezeezy Long island,NYRegistered User regular
    edited May 2011

this

klokateer9047 on
    Steam:Klokateer9047

Xbox live:Wonderboy9047

@Astonishingmike on twitter

STILL THE BEST 1973-FOREVER
  • Options
    NibbleNibble Registered User regular
    edited May 2011
    TexiKen wrote: »
    Allen Gregory, what the hell:

-animation that looks like it's from an Educational cartoon
    -Peter Parker and Dean Pelton are dating
    -ruin a good Phil Collins song why don't you
    -oh look a little rich kid making jokes about Charlie Rose and having sushi and wine for lunch, how original hey guys listen to this great new Celine Dion song from Titanic it's soooooo good!

For some reason, something about it reminded me of Daria, so I might at least give it a chance for the first couple episodes. The animation is way better than Bob's Burgers, at least.

Nibble on
    sig.php?id=178
  • Options
    HitsuraptorHitsuraptor Registered User regular
    edited May 2011
    DanHibiki wrote: »
    devCharles wrote: »
    Seth MacFarlane's eventual goal is to just take up more and more of Fox airtime with diminishing quality shows until we are living in the world from Idiocracy.

my god...
    Someone other then me has seen Idiocracy?

I was gonna watch it, but you know, needed to get my electrolytes up

Hitsuraptor on
  • Options
    JokermanJokerman Everything EverywhereRegistered User regular
    edited May 2011
    Arnt they canceling American dad for Napoleon dynomite?

Also, I thought AD was awesome this sunday, but is it just me or is bullock just a jerk now?

Jokerman on
  • Options
    KirbithKirbith I appear to be made of delicious cake. Registered User regular
    edited May 2011
    Jokerman wrote: »

Also, I thought AD was awesome this sunday, but is it just me or is bullock just a jerk now?

They've got American Dad up in the 9:30 slot for the fall schedule.

Fox Fall Schedule.

Kirbith on
    Backloggery | Steam - Kirbith | PSN - Kirbith | 3DS: 4957-2249-4817
  • Options
    BubbaTBubbaT Registered User regular
    edited May 2011

When was he not?

"You know Smith, last night, as I was looking at the back of your daughter's head..."

BubbaT on
  • Options
    RanadielRanadiel Registered User regular
    edited May 2011
    Looking forward to both Allen Gregory and Napoleon Dynamite both tanking hard.

Who in their right mind would think that shows that revolve around the worst character archtypes - annoying kids/teenagers - would somehow translate into a successful series?

Ranadiel on
  • Options
    SkutSkutSkutSkut Registered User regular
    edited May 2011
    Kirbith wrote: »

Fox Fall Schedule.

Where's Bobs Burgers? :(

SkutSkut on
  • Options
    Captain TragedyCaptain Tragedy Registered User regular
    edited May 2011
    SkutSkut wrote: »

Fox Fall Schedule.

Midseason (Jan 2012) after Family Guy.

Captain Tragedy on
  • Options
    edited May 2011
    SkutSkut wrote: »

Fox Fall Schedule.

It's not coming back until mid-season.

TubularLuggage on
  • Options
    WMain00WMain00 Registered User regular
    edited May 2011
    I've never quite understood the hate for Seth MacFarlane that comes from this thread. Family Guy and American Dad are both good shows. I particularly like there incoporation of musical based theatrics into their shows, and I think Seth is a brilliant, talented guy.

Yes, the jokes sometimes are a bit useless, but it's still good fun to watch.

Now The Simpsons. That's a show that should die.

WMain00 on
  • Options
    edited May 2011
    American Dad is good, but Family Guy is pretty terrible.

TubularLuggage on
  • Options
    edited May 2011
    Ranadiel wrote: »

Who in their right mind would think that shows that revolve around the worst character archtypes - annoying kids/teenagers - would somehow translate into a successful series?

Because they appeal to annoying kids/teenagers. Duh. (Or at least that's how the theory goes in the executives' shriveled brains.)

cloudeagle on
  • Options
    SentrySentry Registered User regular
    edited May 2011
    I will reserve judgement for Allen Gregory because, as someone earlier said, it kind of reminds me of Daria. It also reminds me a bit of the Critic, although I can't quite put my finger on why.

I would trade every remaining episode of every Fox sitcom to have Daria and the Critic back. Or just the Critic.

Sentry on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    wrote:
    When I was a little kid, I always pretended I was the hero,' Skip said.
    'Fuck yeah, me too. What little kid ever pretended to be part of the lynch-mob?'
  • Options
    ThesmileyemoThesmileyemo Registered User regular
    edited May 2011
    So this was the most disapointing Simpsons ever, I had read that not only was Albert Brooks guest starring, but he was actually going to be Hank Scorpio again.

Then it was just an theme song gag.

Just as well I suppose, since the Simpsons aren't good enough for Hank Scorpion anymore.

Thesmileyemo on
  • Options
    BubbaTBubbaT Registered User regular
    edited May 2011

Family Guy seems to be a pretty classic case of playing to the room when everyone's gathered around the writers' table. They clearly all love live-action musical interludes and Broadway musical recreations.

Reminds me of when the Simpsons had Homer doing the fist-shaking bit in seemingly every episode.

BubbaT on
  • Options
    DanHibikiDanHibiki Registered User regular
    edited May 2011
    Ranadiel wrote: »

Mike Judge?

DanHibiki on
  • Options
    devCharlesdevCharles Gainesville, FLRegistered User regular
    edited May 2011
    I can't really blame Family Guy for not being what I particularly like anymore. I think it was more that my tastes in comedy just kind of changed away from that.

devCharles on
    Xbox Live: Hero Protag
    SteamID: devCharles
    twitter: https://twitter.com/charlesewise
  • Options
    edited May 2011
    I can't really blame Family Guy for not being what I particularly like anymore. I think it was more that my tastes in comedy just kind of changed away from that.

The pre and post cancellation seasons are basically two different shows that happen to have the same characters.

TubularLuggage on
  • Options
    King RiptorKing Riptor Registered User regular
    edited May 2011
    WMain00 wrote: »
    I've never quite understood the hate for Seth MacFarlane that comes from this thread. Family Guy and American Dad are both good shows. I particularly like there incoporation of musical based theatrics into their shows, and I think Seth is a brilliant, talented guy.

Yes, the jokes sometimes are a bit useless, but it's still good fun to watch.

Now The Simpsons. That's a show that should die.

Family guy isn't the show it was. Lord knows they've been attempting to fix that to limited success but it's far to little now.

American Dad had a rough start because it was for all intents and purposes a clone. Once Family guy came back the writers were given free reign to make solid gold ever since.

King Riptor on
    I have a podcast now. It's about video games and anime!Find it here.
  • Options
    MalkorMalkor Registered User regular
    edited May 2011
    BubbaT wrote: »

Family Guy seems to be a pretty classic case of playing to the room when everyone's gathered around the writers' table. They clearly all love live-action musical interludes and Broadway musical recreations.

Reminds me of when the Simpsons had Homer doing the fist-shaking bit in seemingly every episode.

I really wonder what Family Guy would have been like if they hadn't been canceled, and re-born with an instant fan-base that basically wanted more of the same.

Malkor on
    14271f3c-c765-4e74-92b1-49d7612675f2.jpg
  • Options
    devCharlesdevCharles Gainesville, FLRegistered User regular
    edited May 2011
    To some degree, Family Guy also felt really fresh when it first came out. The cutaways went from really unusual and interesting to overused and tired. I guess I also liked that they had to work around FOX. Not being able to go for the easier dirty joke improved the show I think. I listened to the commentary from the first couple seasons, and they talked about some of their alternative ideas that were not approved by FOX, and what they replaced with was actually better in some ways.

devCharles on
    Xbox Live: Hero Protag
    SteamID: devCharles
    twitter: https://twitter.com/charlesewise
  • Options
    klokateer9047klokateer9047 A.K.A Captain Freezeezy Long island,NYRegistered User regular
    edited May 2011
    Really? a flanders and crabapple episode? at least they tried to make it interesting with the voting thing.

klokateer9047 on
    Steam:Klokateer9047

Xbox live:Wonderboy9047

@Astonishingmike on twitter

STILL THE BEST 1973-FOREVER
  • Options
    TexiKenTexiKen Dammit! That fish really got me!Registered User regular
    edited May 2011
    American Dad was funny, went a bit weird with the A-plot

Bob's Burgers, very good. BOB'S BURGERS! COME ON GENE!

TexiKen on
  • Options
    InvisibleInvisible Registered User regular
    edited May 2011
    American Dad used some king of the hill characters:
    Ugly woman: Luanne
    Ugly wife: Peggy

Invisible on
  • Options
    Andy JoeAndy Joe We claim the land for the highlord! The AdirondacksRegistered User regular
    edited May 2011
    Good set of shows tonight, lots of laughs.

Andy Joe on
    XBL: Stealth Crane PSN: ajpet12 3DS: 1160-9999-5810 NNID: StealthCrane Pokemon Scarlet Name: Carmen
  • Options
    Professor SnugglesworthProfessor Snugglesworth Registered User regular
    edited May 2011
    Really? a flanders and crabapple episode? at least they tried to make it interesting with the voting thing.

I was certainly surprised, but I wonder if the whole thing is pointless; will their relationship be permanent, like Apu's marriage, or eventually reset like Skinner and Krabopple's engagement (and I was rooting for that one, personally)?

Also, I had no idea they were working on a sequel to Simpsons Arcade.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7TsW-KIRYac&feature=player_embedded#at=177

Doesn't look that good.

Professor Snugglesworth on
  • Options
    Mr RayMr Ray Sarcasm sphereRegistered User regular
    edited May 2011
    To some degree, Family Guy also felt really fresh when it first came out. The cutaways went from really unusual and interesting to overused and tired. I guess I also liked that they had to work around FOX. Not being able to go for the easier dirty joke improved the show I think. I listened to the commentary from the first couple seasons, and they talked about some of their alternative ideas that were not approved by FOX, and what they replaced with was actually better in some ways.

Its like when they gave George Lucas complete creative control and then he made 3 more movies. Oh yeah, I went there.

I should really watch some more family guy, because I used to be an uberfan when I was in College. There may have been something else present at College which influenced my taste in television, but I also think it really did just start to suck after a while. And it wasn't right after cancellation for me, they had three good seasons post-cancellation, but when I look at the episode list on Wikipedia its pretty clear that the suckification process started in season 6, and was complete by 7.

I heard Seth Macfarlane say in an interview he likes a gag to go on just a little too long, and then have it go longer. No shit, I totally hadn't noticed what with the extended musical numbers and Conway Twitty and all. But when a gag goes on for too long and falls flat its just plain horrible to watch. Conway Twitty was delightfully random the first time around, but then they re-used the gag! Four fucking times! At great length!

The breaking point for me was whatever episode it was where it was just Stewie and Brian in a bank vault for half an episode. It was an ok episode in itself, but it felt pretty... slow. It really showed how much they rely on cutaways to move things along. And then at the end, they showed aaaaaall the musical numbers again. And then some parts they cut out from other episodes. Which were all overly long gags which were cut for a damn good reason... because they weren't bloody well funny. Oh and then they teased that they were going to do the FCC song and they didn't do it. Motherfucker. At the time it felt like Seth Macfarlane had personally taken a shit on me.

TLDR; I have strong opinions about a cartoon.

Mr Ray on
  • Options
    SynthesisSynthesis Honda Today! Registered User regular
    edited May 2011
    I didn't like Conway Twitty the first time. I may be in the minority when it comes to that in this thread.

Shockingly, another three times didn't improve my impression of it.

Synthesis on
  • Options
    Hexmage-PAHexmage-PA Registered User regular
    edited May 2011
    Mr Ray wrote: »
    I heard Seth Macfarlane say in an interview he likes a gag to go on just a little too long, and then have it go longer. No shit, I totally hadn't noticed what with the extended musical numbers and Conway Twitty and all. But when a gag goes on for too long and falls flat its just plain horrible to watch.

I watched the Star Wars special that was aired last night, and about halfway through the 10 minute sequence of all the characters nodding in turn at one another I had to restrain myself from kicking my TV.

Hexmage-PA on
  • Options
    edited May 2011
    Dang. No Simpsons for me this week, since it was interrupted by local weatherpeople doing a tornado alert. Though I guess I can't be really upset, since said tornado demolished 30% of a town of 50,000. Yeek.

cloudeagle on