Options

[Fox/adult Disney animation] Krapopolis is apparently appropriately named

• Options
    cloudeaglecloudeagle Registered User regular
    skeldare wrote: »
    cloudeagle wrote: »
    ...holy shit, Fox has been airing Bordertown since the start of January?

Wow, they REALLY haven't been advertising the thing. Looks like a complete burn-off.

You seem surprised

It's still mildly shocking that Fox isn't celebrating something with Seth MacFarlane's name on it.

But it's looking like the days he can drunkenly scrawl something on a cocktail napkin and get it greenlit the same night are long over. Especially since his last two movies bombed.

Switch: 3947-4890-9293
  • Options
    MagicPrimeMagicPrime FiresideWizard Registered User regular
    I honestly haven't sat and watched an episode of the Simpsons in probably a decade. But on a whim I sat down and watched a rerun on FX over the weekend. It was the Bart's Soul Episode which is/was probably one of my favorite episodes ever.

BNet • magicprime#1430 | PSN/Steam • MagicPrime | Origin • FireSideWizard
    Critical Failures - Havenhold CampaignAugust St. Cloud (Human Ranger)
  • Options
    DanHibikiDanHibiki Registered User regular
  • Options
    emnmnmeemnmnme Registered User regular
    TexiKen wrote: »
    Also, has anybody watched that Border Town show?

I watched the first episode and cracked a weak smile at one joke. It's a train wreck.

• Options
  • Options
    Mr KhanMr Khan Not Everyone WAHHHRegistered User regular
    DanHibiki wrote: »

The idea behind this was also part of, i want to say the famous "Tomacco" episode, where the reason the Simpsons moved back to Grampa's farm was because Homer lost all of their money betting on stock in a MoCap animation company called "Animotion."

• Options
    ZythonZython Registered User regular
    edited February 2016
    Mr Khan wrote: »

The idea behind this was also part of, i want to say the famous "Tomacco" episode, where the reason the Simpsons moved back to Grampa's farm was because Homer lost all of their money betting on stock in a MoCap animation company called "Animotion."

The Tomacco episode was kicked off by Homer inadvertantly challenging a Souther colonel to a duel. I remember that because the Zorro movie in the beginning was one of the few hilarious modern Simpsons gags.

Edit: Some googling shows that Homer losing money in stocks led to him being a human guinea pig, leading to his IQ increase.

Zython on
    Switch: SW-3245-5421-8042 | 3DS Friend Code: 4854-6465-0299 | PSN: Zaithon
    Steam: pazython
  • Options
    wanderingwandering Russia state-affiliated media Registered User regular
    Is an episode that came out in '99 really modern Simpsons?

• Options
    edited February 2016
    wandering wrote: »
    Is an episode that came out in '99 really modern Simpsons?

I consider anything after season 10 to be "modern" Simpsons. But point taken anyhow. Geeze. I could have sworn it aired in the early 2000's.

Zython on
  • Options
    I'd say there's really three eras of Simpsons at this point:

Seasons 1-9 (ish): Rise and golden area
    Seasons 10-19: Decline and crap
    Seasons 20-on: Modern, recovery (to an arguable extent)

• Options
    Zython wrote: »

The Tomacco episode was kicked off by Homer inadvertantly challenging a Souther colonel to a duel. I remember that because the Zorro movie in the beginning was one of the few hilarious modern Simpsons gags.

Edit: Some googling shows that Homer losing money in stocks led to him being a human guinea pig, leading to his IQ increase.

Damn, i'm losing my edge on Simpsons trivia.

• Options
    Zython wrote: »

Damn, i'm losing my perspicacity on Simpsons trivia.

It's always the last place you look.

• Options
    WiseManTobesWiseManTobes Registered User regular
    This age-old sentiment of not letting the Simpsons characters evolve really needs to go away.

It's only getting more and more antiquated as other shows begin to embrace continuity and change. South Park now references events throughout each season, which has only made it funnier (like the whole Lorde subplot). Steven Universe is a 10 minute episodic cartoon that features actual character development, where characters actually grow in subtle-yet-consistent ways and previous events are not forgotten.

You'd think after 30 years they would be allowed to experiment even a little with The Simpsons.

Heck coming back on that development/continuity can be downright amazing too, one of my favorite scenes in TV happened recently, and was when I realized what I thought had been a dropped joke ending type deal, came back in a BIG way.

Rick and Morty spoilers
    They had an episode where everything went horribly wrong and they basically screwed up their entire planet, so they jokingly went to an alternate universe where they had just died in that universe and took their place.

Even had a joking " We can only do this 4 -5 times more tops! *wink at camera*" moment.

Then this happened.

https://youtu.be/E_qvy82U4RE

Steam! Battlenet:Wisemantobes#1508
  • Options
    OptyOpty Registered User regular
    The weird thing with The Simpsons is random things age/change while some things are eternal. Basically any child that's not part of Lisa or Bart's class age to some degree, people like Apu, Flanders, Marge's Sisters, or Sideshow Bob have major permanent events happen to them, and then the Simpsons themselves are eternal except for small things needed for that week's plot.

• Options
    I'm amazed at how fast these can be cranked out. Includes Bush, but no Christie... and he just dropped out, what, two weeks ago?

https://youtu.be/3CHQlZiJ8YM

• Options
    IlpalaIlpala Just this guy, y'know TexasRegistered User regular
    Are half of them supposed to have crazy eyes?

FF XIV - Qih'to Furishu (on Siren), Battle.Net - Ilpala#1975
    Switch - SW-7373-3669-3011
    Fuck Joe Manchin
  • Options
    TexiKenTexiKen Dammit! That fish really got me!Registered User regular
    I was catching up on Family Guy episodes just because, you know.

And there was a recent episode where they go to Korea because Quagmire was on a korean show as American Johnny (it was actually a really good episode), but they did a parody of kpop songs that is almost up there with American Dad's B12 song:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0CceSdR3loY

• Options
    DasUberEdwardDasUberEdward Registered User regular
    The Simpsons live call in.

Was very weird. Felt like I fell into a portal to the year 2002 or something.

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    The Simpsons live call in.

Was very weird. Felt like I fell into a portal to the year 2002 or something.

Indeed. It's basically a flash game just with a voice actor speaking live. The only complex thing in there would be a vague lip sync simulator.

Castellenata ironically doesn't do the best improv, either. Not quite a faceplant, but it's a thing.

• Options
    MorkathMorkath Registered User, __BANNED USERS regular
    Ok I have to admit, the NES sports game jokes had me laughing on Family guy for the first time in a while.

• Options
    YarYar Registered User regular
    Wait, what live/call-in thing did the Simpsons do? I have only watched maybe 2 episodes since around Season 11.

• Options
    Yar wrote: »
    Wait, what live/call-in thing did the Simpsons do? I have only watched maybe 2 episodes since around Season 11.

They had Homer sitting behind a desk with some canned facial animations answering live phone calls for two minutes. Various characters from the show popped up to provide distractions.

• Options
    emnmnme wrote: »
    Yar wrote: »

They had Homer sitting behind a desk with some canned facial animations answering live phone calls for two minutes. Various characters from the show popped up to provide distractions.

It was... a thing. And I say that as the guy who has really enjoyed the last six seasons or so.

• Options
    YarYar Registered User regular
    Interesting. Need to find that. Thanks.

• Options
    skeldareskeldare Gresham, ORRegistered User regular
    Nintendo Console Codes
    Switch (JeffConser): SW-3353-5433-5137 Wii U: Skeldare - 3DS: 1848-1663-9345
    PM Me if you add me!
    HAIL HYDRA
  • Options
    Huh. That was...not bad. Not hilarious, but not bad.

• Options
    TaramoorTaramoor Storyteller Registered User regular
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kPnlQTi8heM

I think this belongs here... maybe?

• Options
    BolthornBolthorn Registered User regular
    Huh. Might give it a shot. Let a few build up on the DVR and see how it goes.

• Options
    The bit with the bird was funny but fish-out-of-water comedies rarely do anything for me.

• Options
    TexiKenTexiKen Dammit! That fish really got me!Registered User regular
    Sudekis doesn't seem right for the voice of He-Man there, but it's not enough to make it a problem.

The fucking stupid hipster nerd son I want to punch repeatedly.

• Options
    Kind of on topic: looks like I was wrong, Seth MacFarlane can still get any of his whims greenlit. This time it's an untitled dramady on a spaceship.

Also, yet another guest animator (Michal Socha) for a couch gag.

• Options
    Woops. Actually posting the couch gag would help:

https://youtu.be/jiPNCRZDLn4

• Options
    AbsoluteZeroAbsoluteZero The new film by Quentin Koopantino Registered User regular
    edited May 2016
    Kind of on topic: looks like I was wrong, Seth MacFarlane can still get any of his whims greenlit. This time it's an untitled dramady on a spaceship.

That link is very misleading.

deadline.com/2016/05/seth-macfarlane-create-star-fox-sci-fi-series-2017-18-season-1201749292/

fNtXfDn.jpg

AbsoluteZero on
    cs6f034fsffl.jpg
  • Options
    Interesting... oh and speaking of live action Seth stuff, Blunt Talk is great. Check it out.

• Options
    Road BlockRoad Block Registered User regular
    edited May 2016

That link is very misleading.

deadline.com/2016/05/seth-macfarlane-create-star-fox-sci-fi-series-2017-18-season-1201749292/

fNtXfDn.jpg

I wouldn't call giving MacFarlane access to a treasured series reason for hope. Still could be worse. For a minute there I was worried some idiot gave him the rights to Firefly.

Road Block on
  • Options
  • Options
    why'd they gotta drag Hank Hill in to this?

• Options
    EmperorSethEmperorSeth Registered User regular
    Wait, how did the Simpsons get out of it?

You know what? Nanowrimo's cancelled on account of the world is stupid.
  • Options
    AlphaRomeroAlphaRomero Registered User regular

I had this idea years ago, except it'd have been like the Simpsons arcade game and you pick any of those characters.

• Options
    Wait, how did the Simpsons get out of it?

Exclusivity deal with Tapped Out?