As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Desktop Dungeons - Say goodbye to your hour/hours/day/week/etc.

• Options
    EdcrabEdcrab Actually a hack Registered User regular
    edited February 2011
    Hah, I am so glad you guys pointed this game out. Lots of fun!

So far Human Thief and Human Rogue just breeze through things (by comparison, anyway). If I find the fireball and the +30% damage spell, I've pretty much already won! It's great when you come across things like wizards or gorgons that tend to have low HP, because you can pump up your attack power and then safely one-shot them for a big XP boost.

Edcrab on
    cBY55.gifbmJsl.png
  • Options
    DrakeDrake Edgelord Trash Below the ecliptic plane.Registered User regular
    edited February 2011
    Well, there went my day.

Drake on
  • Options
    arcatharcath Registered User regular
    edited February 2011
    Fuck the wizard. No really, fuck him in the ass.

arcath on
    camo_sig.png
  • Options
    themightypuckthemightypuck MontanaRegistered User regular
    edited February 2011
    I gave up with the bloodmage although I'm sure I can do it if I roll a decent map.

themightypuck on
    “Reject your sense of injury and the injury itself disappears.”
    ― Marcus Aurelius

Path of Exile: themightypuck
  • Options
    gjaustingjaustin Registered User regular
    edited February 2011
    Was just playing a Ranked game.

Elf Assassin and I ran into Iron Man. If I hadn't found CYDESTEP, I would have been screwed.

Fortunately I managed to cheese a couple higher level monsters with poison, get to level 8, hit him once, squeeze up to 9, then finish him off. Even had enough left over to finish off the remaining monsters and not use any health potions.

Yay! Though my score wasn't that great :(

gjaustin on
  • Options
    edited February 2011
    I gave up with the bloodmage although I'm sure I can do it if I roll a decent map.

Bloodmage can be really hit or miss.

Have you beaten it with Assassin yet? If you can find Poison and Fireball with a Bloodmage, you can kill any boss except Iron Man.

And don't forget that you can heal yourself with the blood stains - but don't waste them.

gjaustin on
  • Options
    DyvionDyvion Back in Sunny Florida!!Registered User regular
    edited February 2011
    There's gotta be something I'm not getting somehow.

I tried several games of gnome wizard. Several games of elf wizard. A couple of human wizard. Occasionally I'm stumped very early... like 1 map was 25% blocks. But normally I get to about level 8, there are a couple level 9's left and the level 10, and I've explored everything I can... out of mana, no more potions... I guess I shouldn't let it get to that point?

I'm still trying though!

Dyvion on
    Steam: No Safety In Life
    PSN: Dyvion -- Eternal: Dyvion+9393 -- Genshin Impact: Dyvion
  • Options
    edited February 2011
    Well if you can get poison and fireball early....

you can kill a level 9 gorgon with a level 1 mage which bumps you to level 6.

Even then I still cant manage to beat the boss.

arcath on
    camo_sig.png
  • Options
    ButtcleftButtcleft Registered User regular
    edited February 2011
    i can not win a map with wizard or priest.

took forever to unlock the 3rd warrior and thief classes, which I still havnt beaten yet.

Mostly due to the game liking to spawn those classes in a room thats blocked off by level 6+ monsters that i cant fathom how to beat at level 1 without being able to explore for spells and such

Buttcleft on
  • Options
    edited February 2011
    Dyvion wrote: »
    There's gotta be something I'm not getting somehow.

I tried several games of gnome wizard. Several games of elf wizard. A couple of human wizard. Occasionally I'm stumped very early... like 1 map was 25% blocks. But normally I get to about level 8, there are a couple level 9's left and the level 10, and I've explored everything I can... out of mana, no more potions... I guess I shouldn't let it get to that point?

I'm still trying though!

Keep on trucking! This game can have a steep learning curve, but as you figure it out it gets easier. Beating challenges to get bonuses helps too :)

As for what you're not getting, it sounds like you aren't attacking monsters higher level than you. That was the trick that took me the longest to figure it out. There aren't enough monsters to hit level 9 without abusing bonus exp.

Also, assuming this is your first round, Human Fighter and Halfling Thief are probably the easiest to start with.

From the wiki:
    Difference between levels Bonus experience
    0 0
    1 2
    2 6
    3 12
    4 20
    5 30
    6 42
    7 56
    8 72
    9 90

arcath wrote: »

Is this a challenge or just normal?

An Elf Bloodmage should be able to cast 15 fireballs against the boss. Assuming level 8, that's 430 damage. Are you saving your potions?

gjaustin on
  • Options
    edited February 2011
    gjaustin wrote: »
    Also, assuming this is your first round, Human Fighter and Halfling Thief are probably the easiest to start with.

I've unlocked both rogue and assassin. Haven't beatin normal with an assassin yet though. Managing the map seems to be a key skill to learn in this game.

Dyvion on
  • Options
    edited February 2011

An Elf Bloodmage should be able to cast 15 fireballs against the boss. Assuming level 8, that's 430 damage. Are you saving your potions?

I am not talking bloodmage.

Tier 1 Wizard. I have beaten Normal with the Thief, Rogue, Assassin, Priest and Monk. The Wizard is kicking my ass right now.

arcath on
    camo_sig.png
  • Options
    DarkewolfeDarkewolfe Registered User regular
    edited February 2011
    Will have to check this out. I've always been awful at roguelikes. Cast of the Winds was the only one I ever got anywhere on.

Darkewolfe on
    What is this I don't even.
  • Options
    edited February 2011

I am not talking bloodmage.

Tier 1 Wizard. I have beaten Normal with the Thief, Rogue, Assassin, Priest and Monk. The Wizard is kicking my ass right now.

Ugh, sorry :(. Got you mixed up with another poster after you quoted me talking about bloodmage.

Try beating it with Fighter first. That'll give you Wraiths which (despite their mana burn) are really easy for Elf Wizards to kill due to low health.

Or beat it with the Paladin first to unlock the heal. Heals for 2 are pretty absurd.

Otherwise, take advantage of the first strike and +30% glyphs and go Human Wizard. They'll only cost you 2 and 1 respectively, so you can do some pretty serious melee damage.

gjaustin on
  • Options
    DrDinosaurDrDinosaur Registered User regular
    edited February 2011

As long as you get fireball, you should be good to go. I used an Elf Bloodmage the first time I beat normal mode with it, got my mana up to 40 something (I bought a pendant of mana and got the Pactmaker boon). Use the blood piles the same way you do low level monsters; a way to heal during a fight. Potions aren't as effective with them, since you'll need the health to enable to heal from the damage caused by the mana.

DrDinosaur on
  • Options
    edited February 2011
    Wow, I just won a round based off a 20% chance to dodge. That was lucky, lucky, lucky.

gjaustin on
  • Options
    Anon the FelonAnon the Felon In bat country.Registered User regular
    edited February 2011
    I unlocked the paladin, and have now stalled.

I can't seem to get a single win under any conditions. Even fighter (tried every race) can't get the job done. I keep getting paired up against like...Frank on the fighter, and even with max potions there is NO way a fighter can take him down.

Of my personal favorite: Meatman v Elf Wizard. All my mana went into him, and he was at half health. Just straight beat me with his meat (ha ha?)

Getting frustrated...

Anon the Felon on
  • Options
    Apothe0sisApothe0sis Have you ever questioned the nature of your reality? Registered User regular
    edited February 2011
    To take down Frank you pretty much have to abuse a level up or two.

If you can have cydstepp unlocked then you can probably kill the fool with far less difficulty.

Apothe0sis on
  • Options
    edited February 2011
    One thing that might help people in general:

Most of the time you don't want to worship any Gods unless Pactmaker is a choice.

At a minimum, never ever worship Earthmother or Mystera Annur. The others at least can be useful in the right circumstances.

gjaustin on
  • Options
    anoffdayanoffday To be changed whenever Anoffday gets around to it. Registered User regular
    edited February 2011
    My dwarf fighter finally payed off. And with 3 HP left. D:

It's been a long time since I've beaten a game and put my arms in the air for achieving victory.

edit: Yay. I beat it again. I think I really like the berserker class. I beat the boss at level 8.

anoffday on
    Steam: offday
  • Options
    Apothe0sisApothe0sis Have you ever questioned the nature of your reality? Registered User regular
    edited February 2011

Most of the time you don't want to worship any Gods unless Pactmaker is a choice.

At a minimum, never ever worship Earthmother or Mystera Annur. The others at least can be useful in the right circumstances.

Earthmother is a pretty good god for the Transmuter - it's not like not regenerating hurts him given he doesn't do so, anyway.

If you can hit 100 piety on level 4 then stone form isn't terrible.

If you're a wizard and find Mystera Annur and BURNDARAYZ early enough then it can be fun.

Taurog is rarely super useful, unless you can reliably get the benefit that removes physical resistance when fighting resistant dudes. That said, if you are having a good run with the shops and can get the fine blade esp if you have or can get first strike (dancing blade) then you can get a lot of mileage out of Taurog.

Binlor Ironshield on the other hand. Urgh. Useless!

Apothe0sis on
  • Options
    edited February 2011
    Done. All t3 through normal. Finally got a decent map (with the snake haha). Now onto the specialty dungeons.

themightypuck on
    ― Marcus Aurelius

• Options
    edited February 2011

I went with misty for my successful bloodmage run. Once you get fireball it's smooth sailing.

themightypuck on
    ― Marcus Aurelius

• Options
    anoffdayanoffday To be changed whenever Anoffday gets around to it. Registered User regular
    edited February 2011
    Has anyone messed around with the different tilesets? I really like fegon.

anoffday on
  • Options
    edited February 2011
    Yeah, Fegon is the best one.

Apothe0sis on
  • Options
    edited February 2011
    There's a very cool looking tileset at the bottom of this thread.

http://forums.tigsource.com/index.php?topic=11688.15

anoffday on
  • Options
    edited February 2011
    Apothe0sis wrote: »
    To take down Frank you pretty much have to abuse a level up or two.

If you can have cydstepp unlocked then you can probably kill the fool with far less difficulty.

Also, it comes to me that the Venom Blade affects zombies even though APHEELSIK doesn't.

Apothe0sis on
  • Options
    edited February 2011
    Monk sucks. And warlord. Or I had terrible maps for both. Still haven't beatin it with wizard.

Dyvion on
  • Options
    RainbowDespairRainbowDespair Registered User regular
    edited February 2011
    Monk sucks. And warlord. Or I had terrible maps for both. Still haven't beatin it with wizard.

With the monk, you pretty much have to be Human. Destroy glyphs to remove his attack penalty and then you have a solid attacker with great defense. If you can find something that gives +% to defense, even better.

It's counter-intuitive, but in many ways, the Wizard is a better fighter than spell user. The Str boost, first strike, and heal spells (unlocked with one of the tier 3 characters) are all extremely useful with a Wizard since the -1 Mana cost makes a big difference (whereas it doesn't make as big of a difference with the Fireball spell).

The god that drops your Attack to 1 can potentially be useful if you're a Wizard and you have the Str boost spell. 1 energy = 2 piety. Don't do it in the Factory though since Super Meat Man has insane HP so you really want to beat him with physical attacks.

RainbowDespair on
  • Options
    edited February 2011
    Apothe0sis wrote: »

Earthmother is a pretty good god for the Transmuter - it's not like not regenerating hurts him given he doesn't do so, anyway.

If you can hit 100 piety on level 4 then stone form isn't terrible.

If you're a wizard and find Mystera Annur and BURNDARAYZ early enough then it can be fun.

Taurog is rarely super useful, unless you can reliably get the benefit that removes physical resistance when fighting resistant dudes. That said, if you are having a good run with the shops and can get the fine blade esp if you have or can get first strike (dancing blade) then you can get a lot of mileage out of Taurog.

Binlor Ironshield on the other hand. Urgh. Useless!

My original post was hyperbole :) I find I originally assumed I should always worship a god, so it took me a while to get rid of that assumption. I was just trying to help with that :)

My opinion on Gods, roughly in order of usefullness:

Pactmaker - Awesome and almost always the best choice. Make sure to explore 25 squares before joining and go for Learning.

Dracul - Strong for melee classes as long as there isn't much undead. Best choice for Monks since they can get 70% physical resist. Also good for Half-Dragons since you have so much health. Just don't take him on the Crypt.

Jehora Jeheyu - Mana Shield is really, really good as long as you don't lose anything from joining or have CYDESTEPP.

Glowing Guardian - Join during the boss fight for a full heal. Worthless otherwise.

Binlor Ironshield - Generally not that helpful, but the 25% physical resist can be really nice. Mining can also be a small emergency heal.

Tikki Tooki - Most often causes you to lose half your gold for no reason. But if you're a Rogue or caster and can get 60 piety for Poison - wow.

Taurog - Rarely useful, even for Berserkers. Mana and glyphs are just too important. Really amazing on the Library though since you get +5 piety for almost every kill.

Earthmother - Absolutely useless (except for Transmuter). At least she probably won't make you lose.

Mystera Annur - Destroys your melee attack and racial ability (since destroying glyphs gets you penalized). For 25% fireball damage?

gjaustin on
  • Options
    edited February 2011

Monk is actually arguably the best class, as long as you're a human. See RainbowDespair's post.

You also haven't lived until you melee a boss from full to dead without using any potions, thanks to Dracul and armor giving you 85% physical resist and lifesteal!

gjaustin on
  • Options
    RainbowDespairRainbowDespair Registered User regular
    edited February 2011
    Mystera Annur - Destroys your melee attack and racial ability (since destroying glyphs gets you penalized). For 25% fireball damage?

and a huge increase to max Energy and removing enemy magic resistance. Like I said, most of the time, it's not worth it, but in some situations, it can be very powerful.

RainbowDespair on
  • Options
    DrakeDrake Edgelord Trash Below the ecliptic plane.Registered User regular
    edited February 2011
    I just played a human fighter and found a Taurog Shrine early on, I pretty much spawned within a few steps of it. Also there were a decent amount of spell glyphs. A few levels later, I buy the sword at a shop. Cue rampage and massive piety gains as I slaughter the hell out of stuff. Go pray for the RAGE boon. Now I'm doing something like 130 DMG a hit.

Conclusion; Taurog is pretty good for a Human Fighter if you get him early in the level.

Drake on
  • Options
    OptimusZedOptimusZed Registered User regular
    edited February 2011
    I had a lot of success with Gnome Monks.

Just save up those potions for the last boss and fireball it to death (or half to death if it's something with a ton of hit points).

OptimusZed on
    We're reading Rifts. You should too. You know you want to. Now With Ninjas!

They tried to bury us. They didn't know that we were seeds. 2018 Midterms. Get your shit together.
  • Options
    MusanMusan Registered User regular
    edited February 2011
    I remember playing through this last year, one of my favorite games of 2010. I got stuck at the Campaign. Having to play as a elf rogue sucks.

Musan on
  • Options
    GaslightGaslight Registered User regular
    edited February 2011
    I just got my first win, as a Halfling Thief.

I am disproportionately happy.

Never played a roguelike before in my life, either.

Are there any good tilesets out there besides the ones that come with the game? I'm using Fegon so far.

Gaslight on
  • Options
    Anon the FelonAnon the Felon In bat country.Registered User regular
    edited February 2011
    There is a really nice tileset in the works from the dev's. Sprites that change with race/class combo, all that jazz.

It's on their blog right now, looks like they've finished human and dwarf stuff.

Anon the Felon on
  • Options
    edited February 2011
    There is a really nice tileset in the works from the dev's. Sprites that change with race/class combo, all that jazz.

It's on their blog right now, looks like they've finished human and dwarf stuff.

Isn't that for their commercial release they're working on?

That isn't to say I won't be buying it, but still :)

gjaustin on
  • Options
    TheOtherHorsemanTheOtherHorseman Registered User regular
    edited February 2011
    A human monk worshiping dracul can fly through the factory like it is a vast joke at the expense of tough monsters.

TheOtherHorseman on
  • Options
    GaslightGaslight Registered User regular
    edited February 2011
    If the commercial version has the sprites/tileset/portraits from those screenshots on the blog I will buy it so hard.

Gaslight on