As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[Dead Island] Please post in new thread

• Options
    IcemopperIcemopper Registered User regular
    edited February 2011
    Star Wars: The Force Unleashed.

Icemopper on
  • Options
    ElvenshaeElvenshae Registered User regular
    edited February 2011
    urahonky wrote: »
    I can't figure out what games have had a good trailer, but the game ended up being shitty. Could someone inform me?

Not a game, but The Phantom Menace.

Elvenshae on
  • Options
    urahonkyurahonky Resident FF7R hater Registered User regular
    edited February 2011
    Icemopper wrote: »
    Star Wars: The Force Unleashed.

I thought the game was awesome. :P

urahonky on
  • Options
    edited February 2011
    Yeah, I know it wasn't a terrible game or anything, but the trailer drastically overshadows the game. That's my point.

This on the other hand looks to be incredible and if the trailer is any indication, I will buy this game day one.

Icemopper on
  • Options
    urahonkyurahonky Resident FF7R hater Registered User regular
    edited February 2011
    Ooh yeah you're right. TFU's initial trailer was incredible.

But here's the thing, Star Wars is known for that. :P

urahonky on
  • Options
    OHGROHGR Registered User regular
    edited February 2011
    Operation Flashpoint: Dragon Rising

last one that fooled me with a good trailer.

loved the other OF stuff, but this one....:(

OHGR on
  • Options
    LittleBootsLittleBoots Registered User regular
    edited February 2011
    Icemopper wrote: »
    Yeah, I know it wasn't a terrible game or anything, but the trailer drastically overshadows the game. That's my point.

This on the other hand looks to be incredible and if the trailer is any indication, I will buy this game day one.

I believe the trailer indicates that is game will have zombies (some in bikinis! hot zombie boobs and ass!) and islands and dead people. (maybe some fire axes too).

LittleBoots on

Tofu wrote: Here be Littleboots, destroyer of threads and master of drunkposting.
  • Options
    edited February 2011
    And it looks awesome!

Icemopper on
  • Options
    PolloDiabloPolloDiablo Registered User regular
    edited February 2011
    OHGR wrote: »

That's because it has nothing to do with Operation Flashpoint. That was Bohemia Interactive. Dragon Rising was made by codemasters because they still owned the rights. Kind of like how Harmonix made Rock Band and Activision was still able to churn out bad Guitar Hero games. Bohemia went on to make the excellent Armed Assault series. You should pick up ArmA 2 for a worthy successor to OF.

edit:
    Jintor wrote: »
    Tell me more about Day By Day Armageddon, please

Oh god, I'm too late. It's utterly irredeemable, total tripe. Don't read it if you value any kind of good storytelling.

PolloDiablo on
  • Options
    SmallCaveGamesSmallCaveGames Registered User regular
    edited February 2011
    Basically the zombie game I've been waiting for in the Zombie genre - well, so it seems right now.

The appeal of this genre is that you band together and focus on surviving, not killing neccessarily. A la Walking Dead.

SmallCaveGames on
  • Options
    OHGROHGR Registered User regular
    edited February 2011
    OHGR wrote: »

That's because it has nothing to do with Operation Flashpoint. That was Bohemia Interactive. Dragon Rising was made by codemasters because they still owned the rights. Kind of like how Harmonix made Rock Band and Activision was still able to churn out bad Guitar Hero games. Bohemia went on to make the excellent Armed Assault series. You should pick up ArmA 2 for a worthy successor to OF.

thank you for the protip! i had heard good things about ArmA 2, but I didn't know it was something of an OF successor...

OHGR on
  • Options
    DanHibikiDanHibiki Registered User regular
    edited February 2011
    http://www.conceptart.org/forums/showthread.php?t=210252 one piece of concept art from DI.

creepy...

DanHibiki on
  • Options
    l337CrappyJackl337CrappyJack Registered User regular
    edited February 2011
    Ron Gilbert's recent tweet kinda sums this all up for me.
    The trailer for Dead Island reminds me of the old box covers for Atari 2600 games.

l337CrappyJack on
  • Options
    tuxkamentuxkamen really took this picture. Registered User regular
    edited February 2011
    tuxkamen on

Games: Ad Astra Per Phalla | Choose Your Own Phalla
    Thus, the others all die before tuxkamen dies to the vote. Hence, tuxkamen survives, village victory.
    3DS: 2406-5451-5770
  • Options
    edited February 2011
    Good for him. I agree, it's a pretty crass move done to draw attention to what will ultimately be another zombie killer.

l337CrappyJack on
  • Options
    ElvenshaeElvenshae Registered User regular
    edited February 2011
    The trailer for Dead Island reminds me of the old box covers for Atari 2600 games.

I'm not sure what the heck he's saying there.

Elvenshae on
  • Options
    edited February 2011
    They have absolutely nothing to do with the games themselves. Google "Mega man box art" and see how much it resembles the experience you'll have playing the actual game.

l337CrappyJack on
  • Options
    DrakeDrake Edgelord Trash Below the ecliptic plane.Registered User regular
    edited February 2011

Yeah, that's pretty apt.

Drake on
  • Options
    Venkman90Venkman90 Registered User regular
    edited February 2011
    What an oversensitive prick.

They made an amazing trailer imho and it did it's job (generated emotion).

Venkman90 on
  • Options
    ObiFettObiFett Use the Force As You WishRegistered User regular
    edited February 2011
    I finished the trailers and felt the same way (although not as strongly) as that Rooster Teeth guy. I also have a daughter and its really tough to watch things like that. I don't know why, but my brain inserts me and my daughter into the place of the father and daughter in that vid.

And it sucks to watch that when your imagination is strong.

ObiFett on
  • Options
    edited February 2011
    Putting yourself into the characters shoes is how you relate to something.

And while I understand the dudes position on the video, it's not a critical response. It's purely emotional. It's why I didn't really get up in arms over the trailer or denounce the game. Did I think it went a little too far? Sure, but that doesn't make the team that put the trailer together or the developers "assholes."

That site was going for laughs with that vid, but it's not really responsible for them to treat games that way if they take them at all seriously.

Drake on
  • Options
    PolloDiabloPolloDiablo Registered User regular
    edited February 2011
    Venkman90 wrote: »
    What an oversensitive prick.

They made an amazing trailer imho and it did it's job (generated emotion).

Seriously. I don't even know what to say about that. If he doesn't want to watch the trailer, who gives a shit, but I think he could stand to grow up a little.

PolloDiablo on
  • Options
    MrVyngaardMrVyngaard Live From New Etoile Straight Outta SosariaRegistered User regular
    edited February 2011
    His response seems rather extreme, but admittedly I don't have a young daughter.

It's horror though. It's not supposed to be a nice thing.

MrVyngaard on
    "now I've got this mental image of caucuses as cafeteria tables in prison, and new congressmen having to beat someone up on inauguration day." - Raiden333
    camo_sig2.png
  • Options
    SmallCaveGamesSmallCaveGames Registered User regular
    edited February 2011
    Eh, it's not like this is a novel concept in zombie flicks. Loved ones get turned, and usually killed. If anything, I like how it hits you in the core like that - that's the connection big guy.

Slaughtering 4.2 million mindless creatures in the process is really just icing. You can get that anywhere.

SmallCaveGames on
  • Options
    MrVyngaardMrVyngaard Live From New Etoile Straight Outta SosariaRegistered User regular
    edited February 2011
    Pretty much. I mean, that fellow in the trailer looks sorta like my cousin and that sorta looks a little like his kid so that for me was what helped make it more personally horrifying.

And many people can remember the family vacation memories. Just let me get the projector set up and...

MrVyngaard on
    "now I've got this mental image of caucuses as cafeteria tables in prison, and new congressmen having to beat someone up on inauguration day." - Raiden333
    camo_sig2.png
  • Options
    KlashKlash Lost... ... in the rainRegistered User regular
    edited February 2011
    I'm as shocked about the response of parents to the trailer, as parents are about the trailer. I just don't get that response. The characters are just faceless, virtual nothings. Not being a parent, all I can see is some generic folks getting eaten and it bores me.

I hope the next trailer will actually show me something relevant to the game and make it fun.

Klash on
    We don't even care... whether we care or not...
  • Options
    MegaMan001MegaMan001 CRNA Rochester, MNRegistered User regular
    edited February 2011
    Yeah, the game will not be that.

It'll be a third person action adventure where your weapons have a certain amount of durability and you unlock special moves to kill zombies.

Maybe something with a health / stamina bar.

MegaMan001 on
    I am in the business of saving lives.
  • Options
    LittleBootsLittleBoots Registered User regular
    edited February 2011
    Also, someone mention the Halo3 ad a few pages back so I'm posting this because Consolevania should be worked into any and all threads.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TEWIw-a0GJw

LittleBoots on

Tofu wrote: Here be Littleboots, destroyer of threads and master of drunkposting.
  • Options
    Caveman PawsCaveman Paws Registered User regular
    edited February 2011
    That rooster teeth guy is a perfect example of people I can't stand. Being emotional is fine, but over reacting like that is a huge pet peeve of mine (especially when I catch myself doing it).

I don't have kids and thought that was a heart wrenching video, but considering what the game is all about, it's really well done and achieves it's goal perfectly. Just because it inspired some less than enjoyable emotions doesn't make it okay to whine like a little bitch and refuse to judge the video/game rationally.

Caveman Paws on
  • Options
    SorensonSorenson Registered User regular
    edited February 2011
    MrVyngaard wrote: »
    It's horror though. It's not supposed to be a nice thing.
    This is something that's been bugging me about some of the criticism that's been flying around regarding the trailer. I don't have kids, but having a niece and nephew I can fully understand how people who DO have kids are feeling rather uncomfortable about this - you see something like that, the most horrifying thing that any parent, hell any person with a basic sense of pathy, can think of, and immedietly you start to self-insert and superimpose and whatnot, and by the end you are thoroughly creeped the fuck out.

With zombies, though, there is absolutly nothing sacred in regard to what goes on. Not because it's malicious, not because it's trying to be any more manipulative than any other kind of horror/media is, but because the undead as a concept make no differentiation between anything beyond if they're edible or not. They just do what they do, and we know that coming in, and it just sseems a bit hipocritical to be jonesing for a game based on the premise of some force trying to eat every still-living human on the face of the planet and then say "that goes too far/they're just doing that for shock" when a member of a specific considerably-sizeable denomination of the human race finally gets munched.

EDIT: And this foreign-born son of Poland says hi and fuck you too. Prick.

Sorenson on
  • Options
    edited February 2011
    I think this is where we get into the difference between interactive and non-interactive media, Sorenson. In a game, the fact that I have control does a ton to mitigate the element of horror. Given enough time and the right resources, I can force any condition that the gameworld allows. People do this sort of thing all the time. But in a film/novel/whatever where you are simply an observer, a non-participant, that lack of control creates the feeling of helplessness that real terror feeds on.

Also there's the fact that watching a child get murdered in a vidja game trailer is having all of that come at you from a bit of a blindside.

Drake on
  • Options
    Lt. FraggLt. Fragg Registered User regular
    edited February 2011
    That rooster teeth guy is a perfect example of people I can't stand. Being emotional is fine, but over reacting like that is a huge pet peeve of mine (especially when I catch myself doing it).

I don't have kids and thought that was a heart wrenching video, but considering what the game is all about, it's really well done and achieves it's goal perfectly. Just because it inspired some less than enjoyable emotions doesn't make it okay to whine like a little bitch and refuse to judge the video/game rationally.

Exactly...

Overreaction/"being that guy that's not impressed" seems to be the norm when something like this comes out.

Everyone is wowed and there are the few that insist it sucks, take some emotional stand or whatnot. All are entitled to their own view of course...

I really don't care either way - I am excited for the game. I like the trailer. Yes, I know the trailer won't be the game. But I'd rather discuss delicious possibilities of this game than argue over whether a CGI trailer overstepped boundaries because marketing people are bathed in evil juice.

I liked it, I am excited, I will watch this game development closely in hopes that a dev team can deliver on my dream of giving me a viceral survival experience against the horde of the undead.

Lt. Fragg on
  • Options
    RT800RT800 Registered User regular
    edited February 2011
    My only problem so far with this game is the setting. I don't like the idea of zombies on a tropical island. I prefer the typical kind of mid-western USA city setting.

RT800 on
  • Options
    DanHibikiDanHibiki Registered User regular
    edited February 2011
    RT800 wrote: »
    My only problem so far with this game is the setting. I don't like the idea of zombies on a tropical island. I prefer the typical kind of mid-western USA city setting.

kind of nearly impossible to survive in a big city and far too much ground to cover from a game design standpoint.

Island would be a perfect place since there's food, easier to survive the elements and you're surrounded by water.

DanHibiki on
  • Options
    edited February 2011
    Sorenson wrote: »
    EDIT: And this foreign-born son of Poland says hi and fuck you too. Prick.

Is this part supposed to be directed at me?

MrVyngaard on
    camo_sig2.png
  • Options
    VeeVee Registered User regular
    edited February 2011
    It's directed towards the over emotional RvB guy in that video. He looked up who made the game, saw they were Poland based and said fuck Poland or something like that.

Vee on
  • Options
    edited February 2011
    Ah, okay. I wasn't sure because my quote was in there and was a little confused for a moment there.

No worries.

MrVyngaard on
    camo_sig2.png
  • Options
    MrDelishMrDelish Registered User regular
    edited February 2011
    MegaMan001 wrote: »
    Yeah, the game will not be that.

It'll be a third person action adventure where your weapons have a certain amount of durability and you unlock special moves to kill zombies.

Maybe something with a health / stamina bar.

first-person

MrDelish on
  • Options
    KlashKlash Lost... ... in the rainRegistered User regular
    edited February 2011
    You guys, a tropical island is the best place.

It leads to [vidURL="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qTQmO_KEmHY"]this[/vidURL]. This is why the game needs wildlife. This is all I can think of since the game was announced.

Klash on
    We don't even care... whether we care or not...
  • Options
    RT800RT800 Registered User regular
    edited February 2011
    I dream of a zombie-apocolypse MMO.

To have a truly massive world populated by hordes of NPC zombies and hundreds of scattered (player) survivors. Where the "gold" is bullets and food.

RT800 on
This discussion has been closed.