As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[Let's Play] PROTOTYPE [Part 15: Two Tickets & One Thousand Suns]

• Options
    PaperLuigi44PaperLuigi44 My amazement is at maximum capacity. Registered User regular
    edited February 2011
    The commentary was good, you didn't overdo it and when you did speak it was often amusing.

Looking forward to the next set!

PaperLuigi44 on
  • Options
    YerMumYerMum Registered User regular
    edited February 2011
    Sweet, loved the feeling of power that prototype gave you, will be consuming this LP with gusto!

YerMum on
    Rugged individualist
    Destiny Profile : http://www.bungie.net/en/Profile/254/7028016
  • Options
    Orochi_RockmanOrochi_Rockman __BANNED USERS regular
    edited February 2011
    Nnnnoooooo Morninglord you're going to make me go out and buy this game again.

Orochi_Rockman on
  • Options
    MorninglordMorninglord I'm tired of being Batman, so today I'll be Owl.Registered User regular
    edited February 2011
    Part 2: Behind the Glass.

Disclaimer: I'm sorry about not talking in the middle of this, I was fighting coughing this whole video. I tried to get it out of me during the cutscenes but after I got into the major fight I couldn't stop coughing at all. I ended up just turning my mic off. I'm mostly better now it was just the tail end of a major cold. The next two updates which I've already made have a lot more talking.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fr1cpqnwdR8

Morninglord on
    (PSN: Morninglord) (Steam: Morninglord) (WiiU: Morninglord22) I like to record and toss up a lot of random gaming videos here.
  • Options
    Mr RayMr Ray Sarcasm sphereRegistered User regular
    edited February 2011
    Well, I bought this on steam. I hope you're happy. Because I am. I forgot how much I loved this game when I rented it for the xbox a year ago.

Mr Ray on
  • Options
    MorninglordMorninglord I'm tired of being Batman, so today I'll be Owl.Registered User regular
    edited February 2011
    :^: You going to forge on ahead or keep level with me?

Regardless, I recommend you go collect all 50 hint texts as soon as you get the extra movement upgrades at the end of the second part here. Not for the hints themselves as much as because getting all 50 is pretty easy and gives you a sweet million or so.
    I used the "interactive map" a quick google search threw up.

If you can, play it with a controller. I tried playing with the keyboard and you just can't dash like you need to. You get better targetting and worse movement. It's not a worthwhile tradeoff to me.

In prototype, "Movement is Power". He can just eat someone if he needs any knowledge.

Morninglord on
    (PSN: Morninglord) (Steam: Morninglord) (WiiU: Morninglord22) I like to record and toss up a lot of random gaming videos here.
  • Options
    edited February 2011
    :^: You going to forge on ahead or keep level with me?

Regardless, I recommend you go collect all 50 hint texts as soon as you get the extra movement upgrades at the end of the second part here. Not for the hints themselves as much as because getting all 50 is pretty easy and gives you a sweet million or so.
    I used the "interactive map" a quick google search threw up.

If you can, play it with a controller. I tried playing with the keyboard and you just can't dash like you need to. You get better targetting and worse movement. It's not a worthwhile tradeoff to me.

In prototype, "Movement is Power". He can just eat someone if he needs any knowledge.

Way ahead of you. Some games are better played with a keyboard and mouse, but Prototype is not one of them. I'm going to be crazy busy this week but I should probably be able to catch up after the weekend. Probably not going to go for all the hint texts and events though D:

Mr Ray on
  • Options
    edited February 2011
    It's just a good source of money. But it is kind of overkill, so just taking a toodle around times square and central park will get you more than enough for the start until you progress.

Morninglord on
  • Options
    edited February 2011
    Part 2.5: The Art of Eating Mans (Freeroam + a couple of random WOI)

As promised, I show off Alex's new power level. This has a couple of WOI in it to break it up. I consider it part of the official lets play.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6Y6x6cOPx3M

From now until next thursday I will be updating every day with at least something of this size. Mission updates will be every second day or so. This is because I'm getting pretty impatient with the slow speed because I want new powers and such. I want to get the early sections out of the way asap so we can get to the interesting stuff.
    I will slow down after a week from today, probably back to the intended schedule, since I'll be starting my semester. It's only a small part time course so it wont affect the lets play planned schedule at all, it's just that I wont be able to work on it all day like I can now.

Let me know if you guys are good with more little freeroams like this where I show off the new things you can do. I really enjoyed making this it was a blast.

Morninglord on
  • Options
    MongerMonger I got the ham stink. Dallas, TXRegistered User regular
    edited February 2011
    My favorite part was the part where the dudes got ate. Also the other parts.

I do like the tact with which Mercer moves through crowds. Excuse me. Pardon me. [Eat] Coming through. [Facesmack] Terribly sorry, ma'am. [Carthrow]

Monger on
  • Options
    edited February 2011
    Monger wrote: »
    My favorite part was the part where the dudes got ate. Also the other parts.

I do like the tact with which Mercer moves through crowds. Excuse me. Pardon me. [Eat] Coming through. [Facesmack] Terribly sorry, ma'am. [Carthrow]

One of the very first things I did, right after the first mission ends, was pick up a car and run down the sidewalk for a couple of blocks. *Thwack!* *Thwack!* *Thwack!* *Thwack-thwack-thwack-thwack!*

Also, something a friend of mine pointed out while watching me play...

*Warning! Once you notice this you can't un-notice it!*
    Everyone in this game is the exact same height.

Mr Ray on
  • Options
    BasilBasil Registered User regular
    edited February 2011
    Can not unseeeeeeeeeee

Basil on
    9KmX8eN.jpg
  • Options
    edited February 2011
    they're not the same build tho, so its hard to differentiate that
    i also dont think that this is true
    im gonna have to go do a test
    where by test i mean eat lots of people and walk up next to other people

"scuse me just checking the height of the person I just ate don't mind me"

edit: dang. monger showed me tonight how to make a truly clean voice file. I'd been doing everything wrong. All wrong you have no idea my god so wrong.
    I'm so impressed with this new mini update I made that I wanted to go back and redo the two updates I've got waiting to upload. But I've actually forgotten to save the initial copy of my recording, so the "raw" files I have are the badly edited ones before I started the autoduck.
    That sucks because my god this is so much cleaner and my voice comes out so clear.
    You'll just have to wait for two more updates until I can get you this one.
    Everyone thank monger when it comes out. Or not. up to you.
    I'm thanking him.
    thanks monger!

Morninglord on
  • Options
    KitsunaKitsuna Registered User regular
    edited February 2011
    I certainly wouldn't mind seeing more little free-roam videos. One of Prototypes strong suits is just how much fun it is to wander around and cause mayhem.

Kitsuna on
    MGRSig2.jpg
  • Options
    edited February 2011
    Part3: The Wheels of Chance

This is going up hours before I normally would because I'm gonna have a super busy day today.
    I wont have time to upload and add the guide sections I said I would update, that'll have to happen tomorrow.
    There wont be an update tomorrow, next one will be sunday.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NCqu6o48zf8

@Kitsuna: I'm definitely interested in making more. They're too much fun.

Morninglord on
  • Options
    MongerMonger I got the ham stink. Dallas, TXRegistered User regular
    edited February 2011
    For once, my audio pedanticism is used for good and not the irritation of loved ones.

Cause, like, I'm pretty irritating about it, really.

Monger on
  • Options
    The Dude With HerpesThe Dude With Herpes Lehi, UTRegistered User regular
    edited February 2011
    man it looks like a blast to just run around and smash shit up.

I had to stop watching because after watching some I realized I'm missing out by not playing this and will buy it for sure someday. But I still have to "complete" Crackdown 2 before I allow myself to buy another sandbox city game like this.

The Dude With Herpes on
    Steam: Galedrid - XBL: Galedrid - PSN: Galedrid
    Origin: Galedrid - Nintendo: Galedrid/3222-6858-1045
    Blizzard: Galedrid#1367 - FFXIV: Galedrid Kingshand

• Options
    edited February 2011
    That's cool, I'm not bothered. I'm happy you want to buy it now.
    When you do get it I recommend going through and watching the parts of the lets play you have difficulty with because I am also making this to show some of the easiest ways to do things and the most fun ways to play that I know of.
    Although sometimes I do not show the easiest way I show the way I do things which I personally find more fun.

For example if you watched Wheels of chance before stopping you should probably ignore what I said about tanks. I only dislike them because I am so practiced with the movement that I don't need them. If you aren't as experienced they would rock hard.

Morninglord on
  • Options
    VicVic Registered User regular
    edited February 2011
    Really enjoying this Morninglord!

Vic on
  • Options
    KadokenKadoken Giving Ends to my Friends and it Feels Stupendous Registered User regular
    edited February 2011
    Its nice.

Kadoken on
  • Options
    edited February 2011
    Part4: A New Order

I get a wee bit overexcited here at the middle because I got my new powaaaas.
    Update tomorrow will be two freeroam vids I made after recording this. They will mark the start of the new monger approved voice editing. Also I mention him in this update. Nepotism?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WruI3632svA

WOI 2

Found between 2nd and 4th update. The next woi's will be smaller because it was a real pain in the ass to edit out the faffing around trying to find them I had to do for this many. I'll stick em in with proper updates to make up for that.

Morninglord on
  • Options
    valgomirvalgomir Registered User regular
    edited February 2011
    You sure love getting new powers :D

BTW, is there any particular reason why Parts 1 and 4 are not unlisted / why the rest IS?

valgomir on
  • Options
    edited February 2011
    Me not paying attention when I'm in a hurry. They're all supposed to be unlisted for now.

This game never gets old for me. This is the fourth time I've played through to unlock stuff and everytime I start out by thinking "hey it's kinda novel to have to deal with threats with this limited power set". Then as I unlock more stuff I get more and more excited until I finally unlock everything I'm used to.
    I've played through the starting area with full powers quite a few times, although I tend to keep a save near the middle of the game and start from there. I've played from the middle of the game forwards with new game+ more times than I can count. When I get to that point I'm going to start making alternate missions.

Morninglord on
  • Options
    LalaboxLalabox Registered User regular
    edited February 2011
    You know, I think that the devs should hire Morninglord to play the game in all the demo marketing videos. That'll get people excited.

Lalabox on
  • Options
    edited February 2011
    Or motion sick.

Sometimes I dizzy myself when I'm going at max speed with all the movement skills. I have to take a break. By breaking something.

Tomorrow I'm getting a new terabyte harddrive. The cool thing is that I will be able to just record most of my making money freeroams and possibly put together some vids of kewl things that happened.

For example, earlier today I was using a new power I got in a later recorded update to smack a zombie. There was a car right behind the zombie and the car exploded. The combined force of exploding car punch sent the zombie straight up. I tried to follow it with a charged kick but it just kept going. Eventually it left the skybox.
    So I punched a zombie into orbit, with some help from a car.
    I would give anything to have recorded that.

Morninglord on
  • Options
    Blackbird SR-71CBlackbird SR-71C Registered User regular
    edited February 2011
    Me not paying attention when I'm in a hurry. They're all supposed to be unlisted for now.

This game never gets old for me. This is the fourth time I've played through to unlock stuff and everytime I start out by thinking "hey it's kinda novel to have to deal with threats with this limited power set". Then as I unlock more stuff I get more and more excited until I finally unlock everything I'm used to.
    I've played through the starting area with full powers quite a few times, although I tend to keep a save near the middle of the game and start from there. I've played from the middle of the game forwards with new game+ more times than I can count. When I get to that point I'm going to start making alternate missions.

I hear ya. Though it's annoying that you can't start off at the hard difficulty. I'm on my second playthrough now after re-purchasing it again meaning I have to play through normal again. Guess I'll play through it twice in a row now.
    Also, is it me or are 90% of the WoI videos just showing people talking about the lockdown and how nothing crosses the red line? Kind of sad since there are somewhat good ones in there as well, like the one showing Alex' girlfriend refusing to betray him.
    Oh and the parkour system is the one thing they HAVE to bring in into the sequel. Right now, I flat out refuse to glide at all. All I do is jump, immideately dash, then dash again before hitting the ground. It feels way more fluid and fast-paced then gliding all the time.

Blackbird SR-71C on
    steam_sig.png
    Steam ID: 76561198021298113
    Origin ID: SR71C_Blackbird

• Options
    edited February 2011
    I don't like hard. None of the AI are different, everything just has more health.

That's probably just me.

Blackbird I know that at least one person watching this hasn't seen it before. Please mate, don't spoil things that aren't in the let's play videos yet.

Morninglord on
  • Options
    Blackbird SR-71CBlackbird SR-71C Registered User regular
    edited February 2011
    I don't like hard. None of the AI are different, everything just has more health.

That's probably just me.

Blackbird I know that at least one person watching this hasn't seen it before. Please mate, don't spoil things that aren't in the let's play videos yet.

Sorry, I was just about to put that into Spoiler tags when I remembered how old that game was. Won't happen again.

Blackbird SR-71C on
    steam_sig.png
    Steam ID: 76561198021298113
    Origin ID: SR71C_Blackbird

• Options
    edited February 2011
    Thanks man. It's just cos it's a lets play yknow. I'm not mad at you or anything.

Morninglord on
  • Options
    FencingsaxFencingsax It is difficult to get a man to understand, when his salary depends upon his not understanding GNU Terry PratchettRegistered User regular
    edited February 2011
    I haven't played it either, but I'll be honest, this doesn't look like the kind of game I would play for the story as much as it I play to blow shit up. (See: Just Cause 2)

Out of curiosity, is there freeplay after the story is over?

Fencingsax on
  • Options
    MonthenorMonthenor Registered User regular
    edited February 2011
    Fencingsax wrote: »
    I haven't played it either, but I'll be honest, this doesn't look like the kind of game I would play for the story as much as it I play to blow shit up. (See: Just Cause 2)

Out of curiosity, is there freeplay after the story is over?

Sort of. You can keep the world in the state just before you rumble with the final boss, but by that point Manhattan is completely overrun with bullshit. I prefer going into a New Game+ to have a calm island with all your power intact. Morninglord would know the exact name, but I find the perfect balance is just before a mission with the word "Door" in the title: most of Manhattan is still civilian but you have access to a couple hot zones when you want the chaos. Plenty of things to do and you're still a golden god.

Monthenor on
  • Options
    edited February 2011
    There is post game freeroam. It is not as bad as Monthenor says. The enemies have less health than in the story mode just before the last boss. The zombie areas and military areas are all spaced out and theres an equal balance of both areas.
    The main thing is they call down strike teams a lot. I don't mind this because the main thing I like to do in prototype is fight the military.
    Just as he says, if you want a calmer island just for messing about your best bet is the place where you first see the mission name "door in the wall" on the hud.
    You'll see when I get up to that point.

I don't want spoilers just out of politeness for people who may or may not be interested since it's a let's play rather than regarding it highly. If you do something you should do it right, as they say.

Morninglord on
  • Options
    Big ClassyBig Classy Registered User regular
    edited February 2011
    I really hate this doesn't get discounted on any sales. It hit £7.50 during the Christmas sale but eh, for a game I already completed on the 360 that's a bit too much. £5 and you're mine Prototype. Unless Activision are behind it.

Big Classy on
  • Options
    edited February 2011
    You talking about steam? With the christmas sale?
    If you want the PC version and it works out cheaper in another region I'm sure someone can work out a gifting. You could ask about it in the steam thread.

Morninglord on
  • Options
    Big ClassyBig Classy Registered User regular
    edited February 2011
    Its actually cheaper here in the UK on Steam. Scary.

Big Classy on
  • Options
    edited February 2011
    I'm freaked by that.

Morninglord on
  • Options
    BasilBasil Registered User regular
    edited February 2011
    Heehee. These videos are so enjoyable to watch.

Basil on
    9KmX8eN.jpg
  • Options
    edited February 2011
    Part 4.5: Fast Food + King of the Zombies (2 x freeroam)

Ignore me when I talk about "next" update, I hadn't thought of creating the next video when I made this one.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cM-myPFttik

And here I mess around with some zombies. The things I was trying to say but couldn't remember in this video I remembered later, wrote down, and will be putting them into the next "zombie freeroam" update.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oIyyUE2okzg

Morninglord on
  • Options
    IgelIgel Registered User regular
    edited February 2011
    You have successfully induced me to play through this again. I hope you're happy. I am.

It amazes me that I played through the whole game not understanding the differing effects of using air dash at different sections of a jump. Suffice it to say my movement is improving. Using a controller instead of a keyboard and mouse is helping too.

I'm really enjoying the let's play Morninglord!

Igel on
  • Options
    edited February 2011
    Glad to hear you guys are enjoying it.
    I'm also kind of amazed people like my cheesy sense of humor.

I'm not moving too fast with the updates am I? I don't want to leave people feeling like they have to watch too many or something when they get time to sit down and watch some. I can just take a break from making them if I'm too far ahead or something. Ill be slowing down in a few days.

If anyone has any criticisms or things that they think I should change I'm willing to hear them as well.

Also I made an hours recording to burn through a particular part of the game, split into two thirty minute pieces. I was wondering if you guys want to see them all at once or split up over two days. Not sure if an hour is too much.

Morninglord on