Options

[Guild Wars] You can still get Hall of Monument rewards for GW2

• Options
    FlayFlay Registered User regular
    edited March 2011
    I've only just gotten back in to Guild Wars, and now I discover that a book has been released.

Since it's actually gotten a surprisingly good write-up, I'm tempted to give this a look, but I can't seem to find a review that isn't written by an avid Guild Wars player (i.e. unbiased). Anyone read it and has anything to say about it?

EDIT: Read an excerpt of the first chapter, don't know if it's my kind of thing.

Flay on
  • Options
    XagarXagar Registered User regular
    edited March 2011
    Which one? They're both pretty alright in my opinion.

Xagar on
  • Options
    VarethiusVarethius CymruRegistered User regular
    edited March 2011
    Ok, so I've just seen Dhuum, the boss of UW. Wondering if folks want to look at clearing the whole of UW on Sunday, say 5PM GMT? I know allot of folks here are from the states or Australia and such, so don't worry about it if the times are off.

But if you can make it, lets do it :D

Varethius on
  • Options
    JenosavelJenosavel Registered User regular
    edited March 2011
    Entriech wrote: »
    Feldorn wrote: »
    whats the current best method to lvl a dire pet? i'm killing minotaurs outside of ice tooth cave, but its kinda slow, i might try elona reach, if the build still works (prot spirit, spirit bond, ferocious strike, feral lunge, call of haste, scavenger strike, balth spirit, comfort animal) but i'm not sure if it still works.

or can i get a dire pet in my menagerie? i've turned in a lvl 20 hearty wolf, so if i understand correctly, i can unlock any lvl 20 evolution of that particular pet?

also, is there a way i can get rid of the pet one of my heroes has and swap it out so that it is gets the dire evolution, at 11 it wen't playful, and i wanted to get a team at some point with dire pets. you know... for lawls.

Easiest way is just to level a pet to 20, turn it into the menagerie, and then have them spawn you one with the evolution that you want. I did this with a Moa bird on my ranger. Turned in a level 20 hearty, tamed a 20 dire.

A little late to the party here, but...

Even if you get a pet to 20 and its not hearty or dire, you can still turn it in to get a hearty or dire pet. You'll just get one at level 15 instead of 20, which can then be leveled up.

If you want a dire pet of a type you haven't leveled up at all yet, you can spawn the level 5 version in the pen of the menagerie and then death level it to 20 to get a Dire relatively quickly and with little work on your part. I can't remember how long it takes exactly, though you can set it to go while you do something else (like work... or sleep).

Bring heroes that only have reses (fast-cast mesmer with Flesh of My Flesh is my favorite), and flag them outside the pen on the edge of your aggro circle while you stand just inside the pen's gate. Either remove your armor or throw on a set with low armor level (starter island set or something) and full superior runes if you can afford them (most classes have one rune type or another that no one wants and is pretty cheap). If you have a vampiric weapon equip that as well.

Because of the placement of the heroes the aggro'd pet will not be able to attack them. It usually won't even try, but may if you're not resed fast enough. When it does try it will be teleported back to the center of the pen before reaching the heroes and will have to run past you again. The AI catches on pretty quickly and switches back to targeting you.

If you're interested in having a variety of pets, this is the quickest way to fill up your menagerie. If you're only really interested in one or two, then its not too much trouble level them up the old fashioned way by just using them.

Jenosavel on
  • Options
    VivixenneVivixenne Remember your training, and we'll get through this just fine. Registered User regular
    edited March 2011
    FYI experience scrolls work on pets too.

Vivixenne on
    XBOX: NOVADELPHINI | DISCORD: NOVADELPHINI #7387 | TWITTER
  • Options
    DarmakDarmak RAGE vympyvvhyc vyctyvyRegistered User regular
    edited March 2011
    Xagar wrote: »

I read the first one and it wasn't awful or great or anything but just merely okay. Generic fantasy stuff with shallow characters.

Darmak on
    JtgVX0H.png
  • Options
    FlayFlay Registered User regular
    edited March 2011
    Darmak wrote: »
    Xagar wrote: »

I read the first one and it wasn't awful or great or anything but just merely okay. Generic fantasy stuff with shallow characters.

Yeah, I'm very picky about my fantasy so I'll probably give it a miss.

Flay on
  • Options
    TyberiusTyberius Registered User regular
    edited March 2011
    Does this game have a search feature for players, like /who in some other MMOs? Recently got the game after playing it like 3 years ago. Starting off with Nightfall and going to try Eye of the North once I complete it. Should I just try whispering random officers until I get in contact with one? My Elementalist's name is Xo La Ni.

Tyberius on
  • Options
    darklite_xdarklite_x I'm not an r-tard... Registered User regular
    edited March 2011
    I am reaaaally tempted to just buy the skill packs. Anyone here go that route or has everyone just gathered their skills in game?

darklite_x on
    Steam ID: darklite_x Xbox Gamertag: Darklite 37 PSN:Rage_Kage_37 Battle.Net:darklite#2197
  • Options
    RookRook Registered User regular
    edited March 2011
    Varethius wrote: »
    Ok, so I've just seen Dhuum, the boss of UW. Wondering if folks want to look at clearing the whole of UW on Sunday, say 5PM GMT? I know allot of folks here are from the states or Australia and such, so don't worry about it if the times are off.

I would really want to do this, but I'm marking all day :( Managed to heroway FoW last night and cleared the Underworld too, but messed up on one of the quests.

Rook on
  • Options
    king awesomeking awesome Registered User regular
    edited March 2011
    So my one friend (who doesn't play MMOs usually) is super stoked for GW2 and keeps sending me videos and talking it up. This is now getting me super stoked for GW2 and making me think "man, maybe I should try out GW".

So. Is it to late to jump in to this? Would it not be worth it and just wait for GW2? I honestly have no idea what GW plays like, time commitment, etc... so dunno if it would be a dumb undertaking this late in the game (PUNS!)

king awesome on
    Bigsushi.fm
    Listen to our podcast, read our articles, tell us how much you hate it and how to make it better ;)
  • Options
    GeodGeod swim, swim, hungryRegistered User regular
    edited March 2011
    Tyberius wrote: »
    Does this game have a search feature for players, like /who in some other MMOs? Recently got the game after playing it like 3 years ago. Starting off with Nightfall and going to try Eye of the North once I complete it. Should I just try whispering random officers until I get in contact with one? My Elementalist's name is Xo La Ni.

You can add a player to your friends list to see if they're online. If you're interested in getting an invite, I can just send you one. You don't have to be online to get an invite.
    So my one friend (who doesn't play MMOs usually) is super stoked for GW2 and keeps sending me videos and talking it up. This is now getting me super stoked for GW2 and making me think "man, maybe I should try out GW".

So. Is it to late to jump in to this? Would it not be worth it and just wait for GW2? I honestly have no idea what GW plays like, time commitment, etc... so dunno if it would be a dumb undertaking this late in the game (PUNS!)

Realize first that GW1 and GW2 will be quite different. It's not too late to jump into GW1 if you're looking for something to play, and having no monthly fees certainly makes it easy to jump in and out at will. But that said, GW1 is not for everyone. I think I have a couple trial keys somewhere that I can give you if you're interested. Although GW is quite cheap these days so it doesn't take much money to jump in. If you're excited about GW2, then you can earn items for GW2 through GW1, though it will take some effort if you're just starting up.
    Rook wrote: »
    Varethius wrote: »

I would really want to do this, but I'm marking all day :( Managed to heroway FoW last night and cleared the Underworld too, but messed up on one of the quests.

I'd love to do UW (and I think we probably will run it on a Friday sometime), but unfortunately don't have time today probably.
    REG Rysk wrote: »
    Mord and I were discussing a potential Sacnoth Valley vanq tomorrow. It's the ZVanq for today, so pick it up if you are interested. No solid decision on this, just putting it out as an option.

Re-posting for botp

Did you guys end up running anything in the end? I'll be on much more frequently this week - and preference as to what we run this Friday?

Geod on
  • Options
    king awesomeking awesome Registered User regular
    edited March 2011
    If you have a trial key that'd be much appreciated I'd love to give it a whirl and see what it's like. That being said. What is going to be so different about GW1 and 2? Are they dramatically changing core aspects of the game?

king awesome on
    Bigsushi.fm
    Listen to our podcast, read our articles, tell us how much you hate it and how to make it better ;)
  • Options
    REG RyskREG Rysk Lord Rageface Rageington The Exploding ManRegistered User regular
    edited March 2011
    Goed, just me and Mord did the Z-Vanq for Sacnoth Valley. ~2 hours net us nearly 20k Vanguard Rep and a handful of plat. Just one group of Grawls that were Rt healers using Restoration (Res Spirit) was a pain in the ass. Really quite easy, though I am to understand it is one of the larger zones for vanqing (clocking in over 400 monsters).

I'm totally down for FoW/UW this Friday. Let me know.

REG Rysk on
  • Options
    VivixenneVivixenne Remember your training, and we'll get through this just fine. Registered User regular
    edited March 2011
    I am down for whatever, but only around the usual Friday night 9 PM EST time.

Vivixenne on
  • Options
    Game BoyGame Boy Registered User regular
    edited March 2011
    Tyberius wrote: »
    No this game is not one big map with world chat and such. You gotta add em to friends list, or whisper them.

Game Boy on
  • Options
    FremFrem Registered User regular
    edited March 2011
    If you have a trial key that'd be much appreciated I'd love to give it a whirl and see what it's like. That being said. What is going to be so different about GW1 and 2? Are they dramatically changing core aspects of the game?

Yes. Movement oriented combat, new skill system, non-instanced world, new quest system, rejiggered class system, leveling up past 20, etc. You can definitely see where a lot of things in GW2 grew out of GW1, but it's going to be rather different.

Frem on
  • Options
    edited March 2011
    Frem wrote: »

Yes. Movement oriented combat, new skill system, non-instanced world, new quest system, rejiggered class system, leveling up past 20, etc. You can definitely see where a lot of things in GW2 grew out of GW1, but it's going to be rather different.

Yeah, as Frem said, the gameplay will be quite different. You'll see inspirations, and of course learn more the lore that will be referenced. Anyways, I'll PM you a trial code. Should have grabbed some more of these at PAX.

Geod on
  • Options
    TyberiusTyberius Registered User regular
    edited March 2011
    Yeah Geod I'd appreciate an invite, mainly playing it for some insight on the lore in Guild Wars 250 years before Guild Wars 2 and of course check out what I missed after Prophecies. I rolled Xo La Ni for Nightfall and once I finish that I'll check out the expansion.

Tyberius on
  • Options
    REG RyskREG Rysk Lord Rageface Rageington The Exploding ManRegistered User regular
    edited March 2011
    oh man they gave away GW1 trials at PAX? It's good to see they are still bothering with GW1, even with the big push for the new hotness to get released.

REG Rysk on
  • Options
    Serious_ScrubSerious_Scrub Registered User regular
    edited March 2011
    Man, for how bad the dialogue is, and for how cliched the stories are, I remember too much Guild Wars lore. I like to think that factions was just an homage to wire-fu movies, because it had especially bad voice acting, and Anet loves throwing references everywhere. I love how many locations are named after characters/events, known or unknown, and the amount of interesting landmarks which aren't tied to any quest. It really gives a sense of complexity to a series whose story is anything but

Serious_Scrub on
  • Options
    EntriechEntriech ? ? ? ? ? Ontario, CanadaRegistered User regular
    edited March 2011
    Man, for how bad the dialogue is, and for how cliched the stories are, I remember too much Guild Wars lore. I like to think that factions was just an homage to wire-fu movies, because it had especially bad voice acting, and Anet loves throwing references everywhere. I love how many locations are named after characters/events, known or unknown, and the amount of interesting landmarks which aren't tied to any quest. It really gives a sense of complexity to a series whose story is anything but
    Shiro's voice is so laughably bad. He also scores points for doing pointless bad guy cackling at the end of cutscenes.

Entriech on
  • Options
    edited March 2011
    my favourite GW references are the Anchorman references in the King of a Big Deal title track

Kind of a Big Deal
    People Know Me
    I'm Very Important
    I Have Many Leather-Bound Books
    My Guild Hall Spells of Rich Mahogany
    God Walking Among Mere Mortals

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Bcech3F-FvI

Vivixenne on
  • Options
    -Loki--Loki- Don't pee in my mouth and tell me it's raining. Registered User regular
    edited March 2011
    Vivixenne wrote: »
    my favourite GW references are the Anchorman references in the King of a Big Deal title track

I liked the quests in Factions personally. Like the Halcyon (I think? One of the big Luxon ships) crew that was actually the Firefly crew. And the More Cowbell! quest.

As for voice acting, nothing is more hilariously awful than Danikas. Especially during the Kurzick PvE mission.

-Loki- on
  • Options
    edited March 2011
    oh man

Drakes on a Plain in Nightfall

Vivixenne on
  • Options
    MorkathMorkath Registered User, __BANNED USERS regular
    edited March 2011
    Entriech wrote: »
    Shiro's voice is so laughably bad. He also scores points for doing pointless bad guy cackling at the end of cutscenes.

"I can't wait to give money to the homeless orphans of Cathan and then feed the starving MWUAHAHAHAHA."
    "Oh I found a copper piece, MWUAHHAHAHA."

I think I always try to listen to that storyline seriously, then halfway through the voice acting just gets to me finally.
    Doesn't it basically boil down into the fortune teller tricking him?

Morkath on
  • Options
    edited March 2011
    oh man they gave away GW1 trials at PAX? It's good to see they are still bothering with GW1, even with the big push for the new hotness to get released.

Yeah, NCSoft had a little thing with trials for all their games, GW included. I only grabbed two I think.

I know Rivien can't do this Friday(thought he can do Saturday if people were interested), so I'd say that we do FoW on Friday.

Geod on
  • Options
    FrontalMonkFrontalMonk Registered User regular
    edited March 2011
    Hey guys, new member here. Just poking around to see if there's any interest in going through missions in NF and EotN... I'm up to Dzagonur Bastion in NF, and...no idea how far in EotN. >_>;

FrontalMonk on
  • Options
    amnesiasoftamnesiasoft Thick Creamy Furry Registered User regular
    edited March 2011
    Morkath wrote: »
    I think I always try to listen to that storyline seriously, then halfway through the voice acting just gets to me finally.
    And then the minions.

amnesiasoft on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    Game BoyGame Boy Registered User regular
    edited March 2011
    The last update that added 7 hero's to your party was because it allows people to complete there Hall of Monuments sense more than likely players are dropping off the game from completion.

Game Boy on
  • Options
    edited March 2011
    Of course making a nice buck or two is just an upside. I'm still debating whether I care enough to get the merc pack. I would really like 7 heroes, but at this point I can't justify as I only have two characters with enough skills to justify mercing.

darklite_x on
    Steam ID: darklite_x Xbox Gamertag: Darklite 37 PSN:Rage_Kage_37 Battle.Net:darklite#2197
  • Options
    amnesiasoftamnesiasoft Thick Creamy Furry Registered User regular
    edited March 2011
    7 heroes does not require mercing, not to mention it doesn't even take the merced character's skills into account. Just their armor skin and customization settings.

amnesiasoft on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    MaouMaou Registered User regular
    edited March 2011
    I hate GW material, rune pricing depending on supply and demand.
    And how every Weapon Forge forge weapon of the same skin.

Maou on
  • Options
    EntriechEntriech ? ? ? ? ? Ontario, CanadaRegistered User regular
    edited March 2011
    Does anyone have a good build/h&h setup for a ritualist attempting to do Glint's Challenge? I wasn't expecting quite the level of violation that occurred. Currently I'm running an SoS Rt, a 3 necro discordway team, a panic Me/Rt, a couple Elementalists, and a Ranger.

Entriech on
  • Options
    edited March 2011
    7 heroes does not require mercing, not to mention it doesn't even take the merced character's skills into account. Just their armor skin and customization settings.
    You sir, have blown my mind. So let me see if I got this straight, the only difference between mercs and heroes is that the mercs aesthetic is based off of your own characters? The only difference is visual? Also, to confirm that my mind needed blowing I just checked to verify that I can load up 7 heroes now. Good lord this is even better than I thought.

darklite_x on
  • Options
    JenosavelJenosavel Registered User regular
    edited March 2011
    They also allow you to bypass the 3 (or as with Rit, 2) per class limitation. But otherwise, yeah. The custom skin seems to be the real reason people I know are buying it.

Jenosavel on
  • Options
    FeldornFeldorn Mediocre Registered User regular
    edited March 2011
    Hey guys, new member here. Just poking around to see if there's any interest in going through missions in NF and EotN... I'm up to Dzagonur Bastion in NF, and...no idea how far in EotN. >_>;

i would go through with my ranger (if you don't mind grouping with a ranger). i'm working on Factions right now though, i'm not very far in NF on him or EotN on anyone. my derv is done with NF, and my para is through... kodonur crossroads or something like that.

also, if i want to do some high end pve, can i do that on a ranger, or will everyone want something else? i think dervish would work for VoS spiking, or para for imba support. i'm just having the most fun on my ranger goin R/A dagger pet. great damage with the suport team i have going right now.

Feldorn on
  • Options
    VarethiusVarethius CymruRegistered User regular
    edited March 2011
    I'll be bringing my paragon to the party if that's all well and good?
    I've already completed FoW on him before, but he's my fave character.

I suppose though, if we need human healers, I'll log my monk in a pinch~

Varethius on
  • Options
    edited March 2011
    FoW? Count me in.

I'll bother Mord about it later to see if he is down.

Any particular builds we should be focusing on for FoW?

REG Rysk on
  • Options
    -Loki--Loki- Don't pee in my mouth and tell me it's raining. Registered User regular
    edited March 2011
    Vivixenne wrote: »
    oh man

Drakes on a Plain in Nightfall

That too. They really seemed to be on a Firefly binge with Factions though. I remeber everyone losing their shit when they found out Jayne Forestsight dropped a hammer called Vera.

-Loki- on