As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Dragon Age Thread - [Please post in new thread]

• Options
    BethrynBethryn Unhappiness is Mandatory Registered User regular
    edited March 2011
    Warlock82 wrote: »
    What about that Facebook game they were supposed to do that unlocked stuff? Or did that not happen? (I really wasn't paying attention :P)
    Still in beta.

Bethryn on
    ...and of course, as always, Kill Hitler.
  • Options
    surrealitychecksurrealitycheck lonely, but not unloved dreaming of faulty keys and latchesRegistered User regular
    edited March 2011
    Crap it just struck me

I should have got the game from the EA online store
    curses

surrealitycheck on
    obF2Wuw.png
  • Options
    BethrynBethryn Unhappiness is Mandatory Registered User regular
    edited March 2011
    Crap it just struck me

I should have got the game from the EA online store
    curses
    If you like paying extra ¥ for a bad belt, yes.

Bethryn on
    ...and of course, as always, Kill Hitler.
  • Options
    Skull2185Skull2185 Registered User regular
    edited March 2011
    Blackjack wrote: »
    There are already at least three reviews.

PC Game gave it a 94
    Official X-Box Magazine gave it a 90
    Game Informer gave it an 8.25

I fucking hate decimal review scores...

So retarded... is there a formula that they crunch numbers into to rate the game and end up with decimals?

I can see rating your enjoyment of a game on a scale of one to ten, but where the hell do decimals come into play?

Skull2185 on
    Everyone has a price. Throw enough gold around and someone will risk disintegration.
  • Options
    Maz-Maz- 飛べ Registered User regular
    edited March 2011
    So I've just finished Witch Hunt.
    It was..alright, I guess? Nothing really mindblowing, but since Morrigan was really central to my character's story, I wanted to do it.

However I don't know which ending I'm gonna import to DA 2.
    Leave or stay?
    Leave or stay?
    Leave or stay?
    Leave or stay?
    aaaaaaaaaaaaaaah!

Maz- on
    Add me on Switch: 7795-5541-4699
  • Options
    surrealitychecksurrealitycheck lonely, but not unloved dreaming of faulty keys and latchesRegistered User regular
    edited March 2011
    If you like paying extra ¥ for a bad belt, yes.

It's unlocked for them already plus I would have downloaded at higher speeds than 40 kb/s

steam servers in Japan very confused

surrealitycheck on
    obF2Wuw.png
  • Options
    chiasaur11chiasaur11 Never doubt a raccoon. Do you think it's trademarked?Registered User regular
    edited March 2011
    Maz- wrote: »
    It was..alright, I guess? Nothing really mindblowing, but since Morrigan was really central to my character's story, I wanted to do it.

Leave or stay?
    Leave or stay?
    Leave or stay?
    Leave or stay?
    aaaaaaaaaaaaaaah!

Stab her?

chiasaur11 on
  • Options
    Blackbird SR-71CBlackbird SR-71C Registered User regular
    edited March 2011
    Skull2185 wrote: »

PC Game gave it a 94

So retarded... is there a formula that they crunch numbers into to rate the game and end up with decimals?

I can see rating your enjoyment of a game on a scale of one to ten, but where the hell do decimals come into play?

It's probably similar to Gamespot giving some games a 8.9 so they don't get Editor's choice. Only the big games - big as in yielding cash for gamespot - get 9.0, like CoD etc.

Blackbird SR-71C on
    steam_sig.png
    Steam ID: 76561198021298113
    Origin ID: SR71C_Blackbird

• Options
    FiarynFiaryn Omnicidal Madman Registered User regular
    edited March 2011

Leave or stay?
    Leave or stay?
    Leave or stay?
    Leave or stay?
    aaaaaaaaaaaaaaah!

Whichever you pick, it will almost certainly be barely mentioned if at all.

Fiaryn on
    Soul Silver FC: 1935 3141 6240
    White FC: 0819 3350 1787
  • Options
    edited March 2011
    chiasaur11 wrote: »

Leave or stay?
    Leave or stay?
    Leave or stay?
    Leave or stay?
    aaaaaaaaaaaaaaah!

Stab her?

Nah.

On the one hand I kinda want my Warden to remain in Ferelden, ya know, responsibilities and stuff.
    On the other hand, sexy times with Morrigan.

Maz- on
  • Options
    BlackjackBlackjack Registered User regular
    edited March 2011
    Stabbing her is the only correct option.

Blackjack on
    camo_sig2.png

3DS: 1607-3034-6970
  • Options
    Blackbird SR-71CBlackbird SR-71C Registered User regular
    edited March 2011
    Fiaryn wrote: »

Leave or stay?
    Leave or stay?
    Leave or stay?
    Leave or stay?
    aaaaaaaaaaaaaaah!

Whichever you pick, it will almost certainly be barely mentioned if at all.

This. But if you're really that concerned about it, why not make two different savegames for the choices? After all, if you like DAO you're probably going to play through DA2 more then once.

Blackbird SR-71C on
    steam_sig.png
    Steam ID: 76561198021298113
    Origin ID: SR71C_Blackbird

• Options
    Warlock82Warlock82 Never pet a burning dog Registered User regular
    edited March 2011
    Skull2185 wrote: »

PC Game gave it a 94

I hate all numeric score systems really. Just tell me if the game is fantastic/good/average/below average/crap. I can figure anything else out by reading the actual review (gasp!)

I kind of like 1up's letter system, though they add the +/- to it which seems unnecessary.

Warlock82 on
    Switch: 2143-7130-1359 | 3DS: 4983-4927-6699 | Steam: warlock82 | PSN: Warlock2282
  • Options
    Magic PinkMagic Pink Tur-Boner-Fed Registered User regular
    edited March 2011
    I hate all numeric score systems really. Just tell me if the game is fantastic/good/average/below average/crap.

They are. They just replace words with numbers.

fantastic/good/average/below average/crap = 5/4/ 3/ 2/ 1

Decimal points are mega stupid tho.

Magic Pink on
  • Options
    BlackDoveBlackDove Registered User regular
    edited March 2011
    What does that 8.25 review say about it?

BlackDove on
  • Options
    DashuiDashui Registered User regular
    edited March 2011
    BlackDove wrote: »
    What does that 8.25 review say about it?

Yeah, give me a quote or two so I can put it in the OP!

Dashui on
    Xbox Live, PSN & Origin: Vacorsis 3DS: 2638-0037-166
  • Options
    Warlock82Warlock82 Never pet a burning dog Registered User regular
    edited March 2011
    Magic Pink wrote: »
    I hate all numeric score systems really. Just tell me if the game is fantastic/good/average/below average/crap.

See, a 1-5 scale is ok. But almost no one uses that. It's always 1-10 (or 1-100) with stupid decimals. You do not need that much precision. 5 points is plenty. Review text, which no one reads, is where the precision should come in, since it's 99% objective anyways (maybe the reviewer didn't like X, but I would).

Warlock82 on
    Switch: 2143-7130-1359 | 3DS: 4983-4927-6699 | Steam: warlock82 | PSN: Warlock2282
  • Options
    EvangirEvangir Registered User regular
    edited March 2011
    Except it's only 100-60.

Evangir on
    PSN/XBL/STEAM: Evangir - Starcraft 2: Bulwark.955 - Origin: Bulwark955 - Diablo 3: Bulwark#1478
  • Options
    HardtargetHardtarget There Are Four Lights VancouverRegistered User regular
    edited March 2011
    eh 8.25 is just a 83% which means it was pretty good but not quite into the higher 80s/low90s for that reviewer

Hardtarget on
    steam_sig.png
    kHDRsTc.png
  • Options
    edited March 2011
    Magic Pink wrote: »

See, a 1-5 scale is ok. But almost no one uses that. It's always 1-10 (or 1-100) with stupid decimals. You do not need that much precision. 5 points is plenty. Review text, which no one reads, is where the precision should come in, since it's 99% objective anyways (maybe the reviewer didn't like X, but I would).

I'm guessing the word you were looking for was subjective?

Fiaryn on
  • Options
    chiasaur11chiasaur11 Never doubt a raccoon. Do you think it's trademarked?Registered User regular
    edited March 2011
    The only objective scale is Optimus Prime thumbs.

chiasaur11 on
  • Options
    edited March 2011
    so is somebody make a new thread?

Hardtarget on
    steam_sig.png
    kHDRsTc.png
  • Options
    GalactusGoGalactusGo Registered User regular
    edited March 2011
    10 Things You Should Know about DA2

9. You’re A Long Way From Ferelden
    The Free Marches are influenced by the events from the previous game, but don’t expect every little choice you made in Origins to change the world. You’ll hear some references in dialogue, and even see a couple cameos, but Dragon Age isn’t Mass Effect. You won’t be bombarded with reminders of your previous deeds. Hawke’s story stands apart from the Grey Warden’s, though it still clearly takes place in the same world. However, be aware that some minor story points in Origins and Awakening have been retconned, so even if you import your save, the events of the previous games aren’t necessarily set in stone.

GalactusGo on
  • Options
    edited March 2011
    GalactusGo wrote: »

The Free Marches are influenced by the events from the previous game, but don’t expect every little choice you made in Origins to change the world. You’ll hear some references in dialogue, and even see a couple cameos, but Dragon Age isn’t Mass Effect. You won’t be bombarded with reminders of your previous deeds. Hawke’s story stands apart from the Grey Warden’s, though it still clearly takes place in the same world. However, be aware that some minor story points in Origins and Awakening have been retconned, so even if you import your save, the events of the previous games aren’t necessarily set in stone.

wait what
    However, be aware that some minor story points in Origins and Awakening have been retconned, so even if you import your save, the events of the previous games aren’t necessarily set in stone.
    what!

Hardtarget on
    steam_sig.png
    kHDRsTc.png
  • Options
    edited March 2011
    Hardtarget wrote: »
    GalactusGo wrote: »

wait what
    However, be aware that some minor story points in Origins and Awakening have been retconned, so even if you import your save, the events of the previous games aren’t necessarily set in stone.
    what!

I believe when people were talking about the demo being an older build when referring to the saves not matching what they had actually done might be because of the retconns

GalactusGo on
  • Options
    edited March 2011
    That...sucks.
    I mean, what's the reason for importing a save then and making decisions in Origins?

Maz- on
  • Options
    edited March 2011
    Probably they're talking about how Anders is still gonna be in the game whether he died in Awakening or not, and other things like that.

Blackjack on
    camo_sig2.png

• Options
    BlackDoveBlackDove Registered User regular
    edited March 2011
    Having most of your decisions transfer I suppose.

BlackDove on
  • Options
    edited March 2011
    That...sucks.
    I mean, what's the reason for importing a save then and making decisions in Origins?

However, be aware that some minor story points in Origins and Awakening have been retconned =/= EVERYTHING YOU DID HAS BEEN REVISED.

Furthermore, seriously people. We are in a different country, with a different main character, across a sea of no small size. It has been apparent from day one that Origins would have very little to do with Dragon Age 2 plot wise.

Fiaryn on
  • Options
    SpoitSpoit *twitch twitch* Registered User regular
    edited March 2011
    That...sucks.

*cough* zombie warden in Awakening *cough*

Spoit on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    edited March 2011
    Fiaryn wrote: »
    That...sucks.

However, be aware that some minor story points in Origins and Awakening have been retconned =/= EVERYTHING YOU DID HAS BEEN REVISED.

Furthermore, seriously people. We are in a different country, with a different main character, across a sea of no small size. It has been apparent from day one that Origins would have very little to do with Dragon Age 2 plot wise.
    still though, if they are allowing you to import saves it's kinda bullshit they are gonna change some of your decisions, no matter how small.

Hardtarget on
    steam_sig.png
    kHDRsTc.png
  • Options
    edited March 2011
    I'm actually pretty ok with this, it kind of takes the weight of which save file should I choose OMG. I mean its clear they are trying to restart the franchise with the art, protagonist, mechanics, etc so whatever makes it easiest. I cant wait to start this up tonite.

GalactusGo on
  • Options
    edited March 2011
    Again, guys, stop assuming the worst. Anders is in the game no matter what happened to him in Awakening. If he died in Awakening, then him being in the game would be, wait for it, a retcon.

Blackjack on
    camo_sig2.png

• Options
    edited March 2011
    so, Dragon Age.

Played the DA2 demo on 360, it left me with very very mixed feelings. In any case what it also did is remind me I bought Awakening on a steam sale a full year ago and proceeded to NEVER PLAY IT.

So last night I stayed up till 2:20am playing Awakening :\ Put 5 hours into it. Game is awesome so far! I'm really glad I spend a year between DA:O and Awakening because after putting 50 hours into DA I was really burnt out on it. A year later playing the expansion is a great experience! (and thankfully I still had my saves)

So the big question will be so I want to buy, from what is all accounts shitty DLC, Witch Hunt just to get more Morrigan action and them import the full chain into DA2.

I also gotta try the DA2 demo on PC and see if it's any better than the 360 version. The combat with a gamepad is.... not so good.

Hardtarget on
    steam_sig.png
    kHDRsTc.png
  • Options
    Professor SnugglesworthProfessor Snugglesworth Registered User regular
    edited March 2011
    I actually hope ME3 retcons a couple of things just so I can have Garrus and Tali as full-fledged story-specific characters rather than getting Wrex'd and only getting a couple of lines just for continuity's sake.

Professor Snugglesworth on
  • Options
    edited March 2011
    Hmm.
    OK: Here is the story.

Auto-attack option for consoles was added in to the games late in the development cycle after the initial certification build was sent. The auto-attack functionality was sent to be added to the game for testing and approval. This was why staff said it was in game.

Due to an error during mastering, the auto-attack file was omitted during manufacture.

We apologize for this. It was meant to be in game, but it is not currently in the console versions. We are working on how best to distribute this to console users. When we have information, we will let everyone know.

Blackjack on
    camo_sig2.png

• Options
    edited March 2011
    Doesn't affect me, but that sucks!

Fiaryn on
  • Options
    edited March 2011
    bah, I will not be bottom paged! my brilliance must shine.
    Hardtarget wrote: »
    so, Dragon Age.

Played the DA2 demo on 360, it left me with very very mixed feelings. In any case what it also did is remind me I bought Awakening on a steam sale a full year ago and proceeded to NEVER PLAY IT.

So last night I stayed up till 2:20am playing Awakening :\ Put 5 hours into it. Game is awesome so far! I'm really glad I spend a year between DA:O and Awakening because after putting 50 hours into DA I was really burnt out on it. A year later playing the expansion is a great experience! (and thankfully I still had my saves)

So the big question will be so I want to buy, from what is all accounts shitty DLC, Witch Hunt just to get more Morrigan action and them import the full chain into DA2.

I also gotta try the DA2 demo on PC and see if it's any better than the 360 version. The combat with a gamepad is.... not so good.

Also more DA2 thoughts:
    On the 360, as a warrior, combat is all screwed up. you go up to a dude and just keep hitting primary attack over and over and over again while waiting for youer secondary attacks to recharge. but your primary attack is so weak is does hardly anything and it takes way too long for your secondaries to recharge.

so you are just sitting there tapping a button over and over and over again. It's incredibly boring and just.. not interesting. I was never in any danger. none of my party ever got low on health. I think in the ogre fight halfway through I had to heal once and in the second half of the demo it was exactly the same just against different kinds of enemies.

Hardtarget on
    steam_sig.png
    kHDRsTc.png
  • Options
    BeltaineBeltaine BOO BOO DOO DE DOORegistered User regular
    edited March 2011
    Guess I'll pick the game up once all the sex mods come out.

:)

Beltaine on
    XdDBi4F.jpg
    PSN: Beltaine-77 | Steam: beltane77 | Battle.net BadHaggis#1433
  • Options
    edited March 2011
    Two handed warrior damage felt sub-par in the demo for a variety of reasons:

#1) Everyone upgrades weapons after the time skip. The two handed warrior, mysteriously, does not and is thus using sub-par weaponry.

#2) Two hander damage has been increased since the build that comprised the demo.

If it seemed easy to you despite this, I agree. But Origins was also a joke. I think I'll be playing on Hard.

Fiaryn on