As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Today in Space: Sun explodes, NASA takes pictures

• Options
    FoolproofFoolproof thats what my hearts become in that place you dare not look staring back at youRegistered User regular
    edited March 2011
    TheStig wrote: »
    I like crazy FP more than sad victim FP, he's more fun.

I'm not sad because some grumpy old man was mean to me, I do kinda feel bad for him but it is more like pity. He is close enough to amusing curmudgeon that I can sense what a waste it is that he is just an impotent bully.

And I'm no one's victim. I am in control and that is why I can forgive him.

Foolproof on
  • Options
    TheStigTheStig Registered User regular
    edited March 2011
    and yet you're still doing it.

TheStig on
    bnet: TheStig#1787 Steam: TheStig
  • Options
    DruhimDruhim Registered User, ClubPA regular
    edited March 2011
    See? booooring

Show us some crazy or get out.

Druhim on
    belruelotterav-1.jpg
  • Options
    SolarSolar Registered User regular
    edited March 2011
    Druhim wrote: »
    See? booooring

Crazy is like tits for Druhim it seems

Solar on
  • Options
    FoolproofFoolproof thats what my hearts become in that place you dare not look staring back at youRegistered User regular
    edited March 2011
    See? booooring

So sad trying to order people around like he owns the place. Why do you feel like you don't have control?

When did you abdicate your own power to the extent where you feel the need to take it where it is not yours and where you can only fail to gain it? Did someone make you feel powerless? You are in charge of and responsible for yourself druhim even if you don't feel that way. Try to feel your own power a bit more and you might find that you don't need to grasp at that which you can never have.

Foolproof on
  • Options
    TheStigTheStig Registered User regular
    edited March 2011
    Now there's the crazy I was looking for.
    Thanks FP.

TheStig on
    bnet: TheStig#1787 Steam: TheStig
  • Options
    edited March 2011
    Solar wrote: »
    See? booooring

Do you actually prefer FP when he's being all whiny and self-righteous about his bullshit as opposed to at least spouting off crazy bullshit? I mean, he's going to post crap either way. Might as well at least be batshit insane ravings instead of moral posturing (which is still crazy mind you, just boring crazy).

Druhim on
    belruelotterav-1.jpg
  • Options
    edited March 2011
    TheStig wrote: »
    Now there's the crazy I was looking for.
    Thanks FP.

I live to serve.

Foolproof on
  • Options
    CogliostroCogliostro Marginal Opinions Spring, TXRegistered User regular
    edited March 2011
    Hey Dru....

Dru...

DRU!!

Danger zone! <3

We may not always get along but I still <3 you :)

Cogliostro on
  • Options
    edited March 2011
    Solar wrote: »
    See? booooring

Do you actually prefer FP when he's being all whiny and self-righteous about his bullshit as opposed to at least spouting off crazy bullshit? I mean, he's going to post crap either way. Might as well at least be batshit insane ravings instead of moral posturing (which is still crazy mind you, just boring crazy).

oh I agree

just making an observation

Solar on
  • Options
    edited March 2011
    hi5 cogs

we may disagree and argue over some shit, but know that I'd totally hang out with you over some good food

Druhim on
    belruelotterav-1.jpg
  • Options
    CogliostroCogliostro Marginal Opinions Spring, TXRegistered User regular
    edited March 2011
    Ditto :D

I think only surrounding yourself with people that agree with you is a boring life indeed. :D

Cogliostro on
  • Options
    edited March 2011
    Well since I'm not getting any answers from a predictable tool then I guess I'll ask a cleverbot. (exact answers except for spelling edits)

http://www.cleverbot.com/
    Cleverbot, why do some people act overly aggressive about unimportant things?
    Because it is fun and annoys people.

So are they only acting or do they have no sense of proportion?
    How are you?

I am fine but please don't change the subject.
    Fine.

So are they just acting aggressive or actually overreacting?
    They are dead.

Fuck, thats pretty deep cleverbot.
    Geo? That's pretty fair from me

What? Is that some kind of zen koan? Come back to earth dude.
    No simply an expressed disappointment.

I'm sorry if i disppoint you. Maybe you expect too much from me.
    Okay ! I'm from a small hick town in Saskatchewan, Canada. Right now it's raining outside.

Wait a minute. I think I understand why you asked me how I was now. Do you think I am overreacting or that I might not have a good sense of proportion?
    Yes.

Well it doesn't take a genius to figure that out but I'm surprised a cleverbot got there before me.
    I know there is a god.

Me too, how did you find out about it?
    I.

I am...?
    If it's Zero degrees outside today and it's supposed to be Twice as cold tomorrow, how cold is it going to be?

I don't know that.
    It's complicated to explain, but I know that it is true.

Hmmm..well isn't that something. Its been nice talking to you. Hope we can speak again sometime.
    THANKS! You offered great help! :).

Foolproof out.
    This conversation. You are the leader of this conversation.

Foolproof on
  • Options
    edited March 2011
    boooring

make with the entertaining crazy or we'll outsource your position to someone who can actually get the job done

Druhim on
    belruelotterav-1.jpg
  • Options
    edited March 2011
    boooring

make with the entertaining crazy or we'll outsource your position to someone who can actually get the job done

You're destroying the American crazy industry!

Solar on
  • Options
    edited March 2011
    boooring

don't try so hard. just relax and clear your mind. Don't just type out the insult, be the insult.

Foolproof on
  • Options
    edited March 2011
    Well since FP is so badly off his game today, here is something very cool.
    There have been gloves and shavers for one-off use for a long time. In future, there will also be disposable endoscopes for minimally invasive operations on the human body. A new microcamera is what makes it possible. It is as large as a grain of salt, supplies razor-sharp pictures and can be manufactured very inexpensively.

Druhim on
    belruelotterav-1.jpg
  • Options
    jackaljackal Fuck Yes. That is an orderly anal warehouse. Registered User regular
    edited March 2011
    In Dec 2012 the world will be thrown off its axis because the Earth and Sun will become colinear with the supermassive black hole in the center of the galaxy which will pull apophis out of its orbit and make it crash into the large hadron collider which will cause a miniature black hole which will swallow the earth. Neil deGrasse Tyson banged my wife.

Happy?

jackal on
  • Options
    Vann DirasVann Diras Registered User regular
    edited March 2011
    wow this page has about the worst banter i've ever seen

i expect this from FP but dru you are on notice

Vann Diras on
  • Options
    babyeatingjesusbabyeatingjesus Registered User regular
    edited March 2011
    Back to the sun!

Alan Friedman is awesome
    sun030311.jpg

babyeatingjesus on
    hitthatcheeseburgerfatty.gif
  • Options
    SimBenSimBen Hodor? Hodor Hodor.Registered User regular
    edited March 2011
    That video in the OP really needs a loud farting noise.

SimBen on
    sig.gif
  • Options
    TheUnforgettableFireTheUnforgettableFire Registered User new member
    edited March 2011
    a4b76_741f0324-185c-46a0-86f9-046482a62a58.jpg?w=125

TheUnforgettableFire on
  • Options
    edited March 2011
    Back to the sun!

Alan Friedman is awesome
    sun030311.jpg

I love the pic he took of the ISS with the shuttle docked in silhouette against the sun

ISS_030111.jpg

Druhim on
    belruelotterav-1.jpg
  • Options
    babyeatingjesusbabyeatingjesus Registered User regular
    edited March 2011
    God I can't wait for summer I'm going to look at the sun erryday!

Seeing the boiling in the chromosphere gets me hard.

babyeatingjesus on
    hitthatcheeseburgerfatty.gif
  • Options
    SimBenSimBen Hodor? Hodor Hodor.Registered User regular
    edited March 2011
    God I can't wait for summer I'm going to look at the sun erryday!

Seeing the boiling in the chromosphere gets me hard.

On the other hand, if you see a chronosphere, let us know so we know that history's been changed and the Russians are coming.

SimBen on
    sig.gif
  • Options
    XehalusXehalus Registered User regular
    edited March 2011
    sheen.png
    Foolproof wrote: »
    So are they just acting aggressive or actually overreacting?
    They are dead.

0308charliesheen08480x3.jpg

Xehalus on
  • Options
    edited March 2011
    Thierry Legault does it again.

If you can train your eyes to do it, seeing the ISS in 3d is pretty cool too.

Druhim on
    belruelotterav-1.jpg
  • Options
    ACSISACSIS Registered User regular
    edited March 2011
  • Options
    FishmanFishman Put your goddamned hand in the goddamned Box of Pain. Registered User regular
    edited March 2011
    Bumping because today MESSENGER sent back its first picture of Mercury.

NASA: we do science in Space.

Fishman on
    X-Com LP Thread I, II, III, IV, V
    That's unbelievably cool. Your new name is cool guy. Let's have sex.
  • Options
    AnosognosAnosognos Who wants to play video games?Registered User regular
    edited April 2011
    Thierry Legault does it again.

If you can train your eyes to do it, seeing the ISS in 3d is pretty cool too.

Goddammit. You can see the shameful, torn radiator panel from Earth.

t Fishman It's pretty cool that we finally got some solid images of Mercury's surface a few years ago. It will be exciting to see what comes of this.

In related news, only 4 more years until New Horizons gets to Pluto & Charon (and other ones). Woo! This is a fantastic time for planetary science.

Anosognos on
    Beemo_Controller.png
  • Options
    BusterKBusterK Negativity is Boring Cynicism is Cowardice Registered User regular
    edited April 2011
    Not exactly news
    But I just watched this and it was awesome

M2188323.jpg

BusterK on
    Visit http://www.cruzflores.com for all your Cruz Flores needs. Also listen to the podcast I do with Penguin Incarnate http://wgsgshow.podomatic.com
    Amazon Wishlist: http://www.amazon.com/BusterK/wishlist/3JPEKJGX9G54I/ref=cm_wl_search_bin_1
  • Options
    edited April 2011
    Druhim on
    belruelotterav-1.jpg
  • Options
    LanglyLangly Registered User regular
    edited April 2011
    alright, nerds, I have a question for you.

The past few mornings, I have started a habit of buying a coke zero from our cafeteria. One of the plastic bottles, out of a cooler. It looks normal, and feels pretty cold, but not like, freezing. However, right when I open the bottle, it looks fine, like this
    1302181550516.jpg

but after a few seconds, there is a thick layer of ice, poorly pictured here.
    1302181698231.jpg

Now, this isn't a few flakes of ice, in a minute or two it is a good chunk, maybe an inch thick.

I'm not complaining, it's actually really awesome, but I can't help but wonder - why the fuck does this happen? It doesn't feel super cold, and there is no ice when I open it, but ice quickly develops once it hits the open air.

Magnets man, how do they work?

Langly on
  • Options
    edited April 2011
    It is the wonder of SCIENCE! Langly

Solar on
  • Options
    LanglyLangly Registered User regular
    edited April 2011
    that is not a proper science answer, solar!

Langly on
  • Options
    jackaljackal Fuck Yes. That is an orderly anal warehouse. Registered User regular
    edited April 2011
    Decompressing a gas lowers its temperature. It must have been pretty near freezing though. It may have been hard to tell because of the plastic bottle. I've seen it happen with beer before, but never a soft drink.

jackal on
  • Options
    edited April 2011
    So, my uncle William White passed away last Saturday. Why am I posting about it here? Because he was an astronomer and atmospheric scientist who in 1962, spent the night at just over 80k feet in a gondola suspended from a balloon with Joseph W. Kittinger II taking astronomical observations from the edge of the atmosphere as part of project Stargazer. I apologize for the broken English on that site, but the author appears to be Argentinian and he seems to have the most detailed description of the flight that I can find.

Also found this cool, but brief archival footage (no soundtrack) of them boarding, launching, and working in the gondola. My uncle was an awesome guy (also he's the guy on the right with glasses).

Druhim on
    belruelotterav-1.jpg
  • Options
    ArrathArrath Registered User regular
    edited April 2011
    Langly wrote: »
    alright, nerds, I have a question for you.

The past few mornings, I have started a habit of buying a coke zero from our cafeteria. One of the plastic bottles, out of a cooler. It looks normal, and feels pretty cold, but not like, freezing. However, right when I open the bottle, it looks fine, like this
    1302181550516.jpg

but after a few seconds, there is a thick layer of ice, poorly pictured here.
    1302181698231.jpg

Now, this isn't a few flakes of ice, in a minute or two it is a good chunk, maybe an inch thick.

I'm not complaining, it's actually really awesome, but I can't help but wonder - why the fuck does this happen? It doesn't feel super cold, and there is no ice when I open it, but ice quickly develops once it hits the open air.

Magnets man, how do they work?

Mythbusters actually did a segment about this (though with beer). Jackal is on the right track.

Arrath on
  • Options
    #pipe#pipe Cocky Stride, Musky odours Pope of Chili TownRegistered User regular
    edited April 2011
    Aw Dru that's a really cool way to be able to remember your uncle. I'm sorry to hear he passed away.

#pipe on
  • Options
    FishmanFishman Put your goddamned hand in the goddamned Box of Pain. Registered User regular
    edited April 2011
    Sounds like a good dude to know, Dru.

So, I'm guessing he's not from the conservative, God-fearing side of the family that drives you insane with religious facebook messages and passive aggressive holiday feasts?

Fishman on
    X-Com LP Thread I, II, III, IV, V
    That's unbelievably cool. Your new name is cool guy. Let's have sex.