As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[RIFT] of the Fortress (Out Now, Guild Info in OP)

• Options
    JoshmviiJoshmvii Registered User regular
    edited March 2011
    Raern wrote: »
    Joshmvii wrote: »
    Can somebody give me an opinion on how "casual play friendly" Rift is? What I mean is, my wife and I are MMO addicts. We just need to have one to play, and we've been away from them too long and it's clawing at us. However, I am in my last two semesters of my degree, and she's in the middle of a master's program, plus we both work full time, so we have jack shit for time. Like the most we get to play video games now is about 6 or 8 hours a week, and only on the weekends, sometimes even less.

We played some of the tutorial in the open beta but just to like level 4 and it seemed fun, albeit fairly generic. The class system seems like it opens up some really cool possibilities for customization that you don't get in other games. We're just wondering if it would be worth it. There isn't a LFG type tool, right? Is there a lot of general zone chat, making it easy to get a group together for one of the dungeons?

Thanks for any input.

I'd rate Rift as being very casual friendly. The quests are mostly fast and solo-able. The Rifts and public group function make it easy to enjoy some group content without making a major commitment to a guild. The leveling curve is easy. Hard core players hit 50 in under a week. Casuals can probably do it in about a month.

There's a LFG chat channel (type /lfg to join). Also there are chat channels you're automatically put in for each level range and it's common to see people forming groups there. I'm not sure if your reference to an LFG tool meant just a search function, or WOW's auto-group, but there are advantages to not having the auto-group such as being able to get to know people around your level and group with them again if they're good.

Thanks for the post. I have no problem with not having a dungeon tool like WoW's, as long as sacrificing that convenience doesn't mean I can't ever find a group, but it sounds like people are having a fine time getting groups for levelling dungeons, which would be my main concern.

Joshmvii on
  • Options
    MayGodHaveMercyMayGodHaveMercy Registered User regular
    edited March 2011
    Bloodshed wrote: »
    What secondary Souls are people using with Bard, and why?

I've tried Assassin and Ranger as secondary but neither really felt like they did anything for me.

I primarily play my Bard in PvE as a Healer/Support.

Nightblade. + Cadence Damage, + Finisher damage, + nonphysical damage.

Also I have a 31, two 22s, and a 10.

MayGodHaveMercy on
    XBL: Mercy XXVI - Steam: Mercy_XXVI - PSN: Mercy XXVI
  • Options
    EchoEcho ski-bap ba-dapModerator mod
    edited March 2011
    SeñorAmor wrote: »
    Can I do anything with the extra shards from Freemarch? I've since moved on and have 3 shards sitting there doing nothing. Can they be upgraded somehow?

As far as I know: no.

Also, the shards from Stonefield are also used in Scarlet Gorge. Might be an idea to save them for there if the Stonefield ones aren't a big enough upgrade.

Echo on
  • Options
    Kai_SanKai_San Commonly known as Klineshrike! Registered User regular
    edited March 2011
    God dammit. I hate this game, I hate you guys, and I am spending 50 bucks right now :(

I wish there was some kind of trial, but I really want in on my first new MMO experience since 2004 and wow -_-

I hope I enjoy this shit.

PS I don't really hate you guys <3

Kai_San on
  • Options
    DacDac Registered User regular
    edited March 2011
    Dac on
    Steam: catseye543
    PSN: ShogunGunshow
    Origin: ShogunGunshow
  • Options
    Look Out it's Sabs!Look Out it's Sabs! Registered User regular
    edited March 2011

I've tried Assassin and Ranger as secondary but neither really felt like they did anything for me.

I have nightblade/ranger. Ranger as the 0-point third soul just to get the pig to tank. I picked Nightblade for the Blazing Fury talent which boosts combo-point generating abilities dmg by 15%, hence making my cadence and main heal stronger, and then Coup de Grace talent which boosts finishers dmg by 15%. Don't actually use any of the nightblade skills and the only non-bard ability I use is the head shot finisher from Ranger since its stronger then my bard's finisher.

Once I get past 30 and the pig stops leveling up I will switch Ranger out for Riftstalker.

Look Out it's Sabs! on
    NNID: Sabuiy
    3DS: 2852-6809-9411
  • Options
    FiggyFiggy Fighter of the night man Champion of the sunRegistered User regular
    edited March 2011
    Dac wrote: »

I don't get this problem. He was spamming abilities to rank high in contribution, I guess? That's griefing how?

I wouldn't even call it an exploit. The meter is designed to reward you for keeping your GCD going. Working as intended. Retarded design. But working as intended.

Edit: Looks like the latest patch took the tracking abilities off GCD, which means you can no longer spam them for rift contribution. Step in the right direction.

Figgy on
    XBL : Figment3 · SteamID : Figment
  • Options
    AstaleAstale Registered User regular
    edited March 2011
    Next time you see him in a Rift, follow him around spamming heals on HIM.

I'm helping, I'm helping!

Astale on
  • Options
    Shorn Scrotum ManShorn Scrotum Man Registered User regular
    edited March 2011
    Oh shit, new thread!

Wow, some stupid in that thread.

Shorn Scrotum Man on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    edited March 2011
    Figgy wrote: »

I don't get this problem. He was spamming abilities to rank high in contribution, I guess? That's griefing how?

I wouldn't even call it an exploit. The meter is designed to reward you for keeping your GCD going. Working as intended. Retarded design. But working as intended.

Edit: Looks like the latest patch took the tracking abilities off GCD, which means you can no longer spam them for rift contribution. Step in the right direction.

From that thread....
    EDIT: Also, the mouthy ones are one person with a lot of alts and a drinking habit. Vegas, right?

I'm the mouthy drunk with too many alts from Vegas.

:(

MayGodHaveMercy on
  • Options
    MaddocMaddoc I'm Bobbin Threadbare, are you my mother? Registered User regular
    edited March 2011
    I don't know if I can associate with you guys anymore, knowing you're abusing the contribution meter like that

But I gotta go get back to spamming motifs now

Maddoc on
  • Options
    DetharinDetharin Registered User regular
    edited March 2011
    From that thread....

EDIT: Also, the mouthy ones are one person with a lot of alts and a drinking habit. Vegas, right?

I thought you meant me until you got to alts :P

Detharin on
  • Options
    FiggyFiggy Fighter of the night man Champion of the sunRegistered User regular
    edited March 2011
    Hey, I can see Gloamwood from here!
    20110305181725.jpg

We heard you like seafood, so we sent you a giant shrimp.
    (Also, my new UI)
    20110305190513.jpg

Figgy on
    XBL : Figment3 · SteamID : Figment
  • Options
    MaguanoMaguano Registered User regular
    edited March 2011
    looks more like a conch to me. fritters anyone?

also from that thread
    I have had a few run ins with this guild as well. When asked in whispers they can get pretty mouthy so I just let them alone and chalk them up to a WoW Fanboy sophomoric guild.

mouthy? sure. Sophmoric? sure. WoW Fanboy? possibly. 2 out of three ain't bad.

Maguano on
    steam:maguano2
    gamertag:Maguano71
    Switch:SW-8428-8279-1687
  • Options
    DocshiftyDocshifty Registered User regular
    edited March 2011

From that thread....

Christ Mercy, is there anywhere you don't have a reputation?

Docshifty on
  • Options
    CorriganXCorriganX Jacksonville, FLRegistered User regular
    edited March 2011
    Wheee. All new thread. Speaking of thread, still making bags for people if you send me mats and cash to cover the thread. Slowly creepin' my way up to 18 slot bags soon, but for now Burlap, Wool, and Silk can all make bags if you still need room.

CorriganX on
    n1woEHJ.png
    CorriganX on Steam and just about everywhere else.
  • Options
    DacDac Registered User regular
    edited March 2011
    I feel like we should have a vent channel. Thoughts?

Dac on
    Steam: catseye543
    PSN: ShogunGunshow
    Origin: ShogunGunshow
  • Options
    edited March 2011
    Rift really likes items of the Fortress, amirite

Echo on
  • Options
    DiscoZombieDiscoZombie Registered User regular
    edited March 2011
    Echo wrote: »
    Rift really likes items of the Fortress, amirite

u r so rite. they should rename them to "of the Vendor".

DiscoZombie on
  • Options
    CorriganXCorriganX Jacksonville, FLRegistered User regular
    edited March 2011

I've repeatedly offered my vent server to the Sunrest guys, and only about 3-4 of them have actually taken me up on the offer. :p

CorriganX on
    n1woEHJ.png
    CorriganX on Steam and just about everywhere else.
  • Options
    VampireCactusVampireCactus Registered User regular
    edited March 2011
    CorriganX wrote: »

I've repeatedly offered my vent server to the Sunrest guys, and only about 3-4 of them have actually taken me up on the offer. :p

Should make it official somewhere! The Six Mouths needs some sort of website. If I had known about your vent server, I'd definitely have joined up.

VampireCactus on
  • Options
    edited March 2011
    Docshifty wrote: »

From that thread....

Christ Mercy, is there anywhere you don't have a reputation?

Working as intended.
    It's a problem. :(

MayGodHaveMercy on
  • Options
    Jean Claude Van CalmJean Claude Van Calm 'sup? Awesome Possum.Registered User regular
    edited March 2011
    CorriganX wrote: »
    Wheee. All new thread. Speaking of thread, still making bags for people if you send me mats and cash to cover the thread. Slowly creepin' my way up to 18 slot bags soon, but for now Burlap, Wool, and Silk can all make bags if you still need room.

I haven't had a space problem since you donated those 14 slot bags, we'll talk once you get the 18s though xD

Sadly justicar/shamwow is starting to fall a bit behind in pvp, use to be I could just outheal everyone swinging away at me, and still do some decent damage. Now all it takes is one warrior of any flavor to kill me. What's a good cleric pvp build now adays?

Jean Claude Van Calm on
    PSN: Grimmsy- Xbox Live: Grimmsy
  • Options
    edited March 2011
    I wish people actually tried to protect healers in PVP rather than just jerk off to their huge numbers and then go "OMG HEAL ME" after a random rogue ganks me.

Echo on
  • Options
    edited March 2011
    Loving Bard

So much so that I feel kind of like making my Rogue my main instead of my Mage

Aside from everything else, Mage feels all gimpy in pvp where it's way more fragile but doesn't do way more damage or healing.

Maddoc on
  • Options
    ShadowfireShadowfire Vermont, in the middle of nowhereRegistered User regular
    edited March 2011
    I wish people actually tried to protect healers in public rift groups rather than just jerk off to their huge numbers and then go "OMG HEAL ME" after a random rogue ganks me.

It's not just PvP. :(

Shadowfire on
    WiiU: Windrunner ; Guild Wars 2: Shadowfire.3940 ; PSN: Bradcopter
  • Options
    DocshiftyDocshifty Registered User regular
    edited March 2011
    Noooo a queue!!

Docshifty on
  • Options
    SplitlipSplitlip Registered User regular
    edited March 2011
    http://forums.riftgame.com/showthread.php?108469-Sab-video-showing-you-how-they-play............you-be-the-judge.

Comedy whine thread of the year nominee. Are Sabo's the 2nd or 3rd whingernaut thread targets?

Splitlip on
  • Options
    NeliNeli Registered User regular
    edited March 2011
    Neli wrote: »
    I leveled my cleric in PvE and my bard in PvP. So far PvP seems to go faster ( I never lose with my bard) but has fewer rewards (items).

There's a fair bit of rewards, but they do however require you to travel to different areas to buy them.

There are like 2 awards here and there, spaced between many levels which in my mind is very little. You get 2 items at level 12, then again at 18 then at 25 then at 35 and so on. I have an abundance of favor I can't spend on anything

Neli on
    vhgb4m.jpg
    I have stared into Satan's asshole, and it fucking winked at me.
    [/size]
  • Options
    Nulian FeadraugNulian Feadraug Registered User regular
    edited March 2011
    My favorite whine thread is any of the 2342346236 on the cleric forums telling them to heal or gtfo

Nulian Feadraug on
  • Options
    NeliNeli Registered User regular
    edited March 2011
    Arikado wrote: »

Ranger. Damage mitigation talents up until I get the wolf unlocked. Pig for soloing, wolf for groups with a tank.

Then I have Riftstalker as the 3rd, 0-pt soul for now. Just for the dash to get the fuck out.

Riftstalker is pretty much the best 2nd soul. Spend points in it until you get a ranged finisher that gives you 15% mitigation to all damage in the form of a damage absorb shield that will absorb up to 50% of your health. You can also get a permanent +30% healing bonus to yourself and a 20% bonus to armor. You will become very hard to kill, and you can get another finisher that increases your armor by 30%. My 0 point soul is the Saboteur for the AOE snare. This way you get a ton of survivability + a blink + an aoe snare making you a bitch to kill and giving you a lot of tools.

This is mainly for PvP however, since survivability there can be key to success

Neli on
    vhgb4m.jpg
    I have stared into Satan's asshole, and it fucking winked at me.
    [/size]
  • Options
    BullheadBullhead Registered User regular
    edited March 2011
    Hey, I can see Gloamwood from here!

<snip>

We heard you like seafood, so we sent you a giant shrimp.
    (Also, my new UI)
    <snip>

Very nice - do you just have the pet bar hidden entirely?

Also did you rebind 1-0 to another bar to hide the big frame around action bar 1?

Bullhead on
    96058.png?1619393207
  • Options
    AstaleAstale Registered User regular
    edited March 2011
    Okay, just saw my first Rift tv commercial. Wtf? Seriously?

They're going with the "we're not in Azeroth anymore" tagline for the general audience? Cause ripping on WoW has gone so well for other games. Gods.

And mind you I hate WoW, but trying to campaign directly against them is pretty suicidal.

Astale on
  • Options
    edited March 2011
    Best secondary soul for Bard PVE is Nightblade, hands down

Nightblade gets +15% damage to combo point building moves (Cadence), and +9% damage to non-physical attacks (Cadence) for just 10 points. Another 5 gets you +15% to finishers, and while I'm not sure if that boosts healing finishers, your damaging Codas can be pretty useful too. (And also get the 9% boost to non-physical damage)

Nightblade is also probably solid for PVP as a secondary soul because anything that boosts Cadence is pretty great.

Maddoc on
  • Options
    ZaruelZaruel Registered User new member
    edited March 2011
    Astale wrote: »

They're going with the "we're not in Azeroth anymore" tagline for the general audience? Cause ripping on WoW has gone so well for other games. Gods.

And mind you I hate WoW, but trying to campaign directly against them is pretty suicidal.

"We're not in Azeroth anymore"

"We're not in Kansas anymore Toto"

Zaruel on
  • Options
    BloodshedBloodshed I smoke my friends Down to the FilterRegistered User regular
    edited March 2011
    Thanks for the PvE Bard advice, folks. Gonna try out a Bard/Nightblade/Riftstalker build when I get home.

Really enjoying the shit out of Bard, but christ is it boring solo. I guess thats what my Assassin build is for.

Bloodshed on
  • Options
    Al BaronAl Baron Registered User regular
    edited March 2011
    Zaruel wrote: »
    Astale wrote: »

"We're not in Azeroth anymore"

"We're not in Kansas anymore Toto"
    And this negates his point how?

Al Baron on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    edited March 2011
    Thanks for the PvE Bard advice, folks. Gonna try out a Bard/Nightblade/Riftstalker build when I get home.

Really enjoying the shit out of Bard, but christ is it boring solo. I guess thats what my Assassin build is for.

I suggest also having Marksman or Ranger in there somewhere, and here's why

When you use Cadence, the damage is calculated using whatever weapon you are auto-attacking with. Bows and Guns usually generate slightly higher Cadence damage than one handed melee weapons.

Unfortunately, the game is stone cold retarded when it comes to ranged auto-attack unless you have a soul that is classified as a ranged soul, and you'll spend a lot of time faffing about with the Toggle Ranged Auto Attack button. Whereas if you have Marksman or Ranger, even with 0 points, the game will nicely default you to ranged auto-attack when you start combat at range via Cadence or Power Chord. It's a small convenience, but since the third soul tends to fall by the wayside and Full Support Bard can easily justify 51 points, it's well worth it in my mind.

Maddoc on
  • Options
    DiamondGFXDiamondGFX Registered User regular
    edited March 2011
    BuUqB.jpg

Suck it, Guardians.

DiamondGFX on
    ain't got one
  • Options
    edited March 2011
    Black Garden really does revolve almost entirely around how many healers you have.

I'd be more bothered by this if I didn't play Chloromancer and Bard.

Maddoc on
This discussion has been closed.