Options

Let's Play Quest for Glory. Thanks to Piotyr for keeping this going!

• Options
    GlalGlal AiredaleRegistered User regular
    Elvenshae wrote:
    ...but it always struck me as a bit silly to knock the demon-key into the demon-prison. I mean, destroying it or holding onto it or sucking the magic out of it or dropping it in the ocean, whatever, sure - but throwing it into the portal it was being used to open? That's daft.
    When the lock is on the other side of the door it's a pretty good place to put it.

• Options
    PiotyrPiotyr Power-Crazed Wizard SilmariaRegistered User regular
    edited November 2011
    Since there was a trailer for Quest for Glory 3 and I posted it, well, of course there's a trailer for Quest for Glory 4!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-aCpllaUntk

EDIT: Also, I adore the music to this game.

Piotyr on
  • Options
    HounHoun Registered User regular
    It's the Batsignal!

• Options
    DisruptedCapitalistDisruptedCapitalist I swear! Registered User regular
    Lol, wow, I always assumed the low framerate on that opening thing was because I had a shitty computer back in the day.

"Simple, real stupidity beats artificial intelligence every time." -Mustrum Ridcully in Terry Pratchett's Hogfather p. 142 (HarperPrism 1996)
  • Options
    Target PracticeTarget Practice Registered User regular
    Piotyr wrote:
    Since there was a trailer for Quest for Glory 3 and I posted it, well, of course there's a trailer for Quest for Glory 4!

The music and most of the voice acting in Shadows of Darkness is great. It's too bad the game itself is such a broken mess. Even with the fan patches, I was barely able to finish a playthrough of it.

sig.gif
  • Options
    It was indeed the epitome of CG animation in 1993.

• Options
    The music and most of the voice acting in Shadows of Darkness is great. It's too bad the game itself is such a broken mess. Even with the fan patches, I was barely able to finish a playthrough of it.

Fortunately for everyone here, that's my problem and not yours. :)

• Options
    ErlecErlec Registered User regular
    Piotyr wrote:

Quest for glory 4: Birth of the batman
    Quest for glory 4: The magic bat!
    Quest for glory 4: The batiness of bats bat.
    Quest for bats 4: More batman refrences to be counted:
    Bat for Bats 4: The batiness adventure yet.

I can keep going.

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    gjaustingjaustin Registered User regular
    Piotyr wrote:

Fortunately for everyone here, that's my problem and not yours. :)

Instead of showing all the deaths in the game, you should show all the crashes.

Let's see, the consistent ones I can think of are:
    Sliding down the ramp
    Walking in the swamp
    Fighting the final boss

• Options
    If we're going to make a Batman Reference, you can't top:

Quest for Glory 4: The Darkmagic Knight

• Options
    ElvenshaeElvenshae Registered User regular
    Glal wrote:
    Elvenshae wrote:
    ...but it always struck me as a bit silly to knock the demon-key into the demon-prison. I mean, destroying it or holding onto it or sucking the magic out of it or dropping it in the ocean, whatever, sure - but throwing it into the portal it was being used to open? That's daft.
    When the lock is on the other side of the door it's a pretty good place to put it.

Except why would you want to give the eternally-living, magically-empowered being-of-pure-evil on the other side the chance to study the key?

• Options
    PhyphorPhyphor Building Planet Busters Tasting FruitRegistered User regular
    Elvenshae wrote:
    Glal wrote:
    Elvenshae wrote:

Except why would you want to give the eternally-living, magically-empowered being-of-pure-evil on the other side the chance to study the key?

That's just another hero's problem now

• Options
    Unless Jim ends up in some kind of demonic hell dimension in the near future, it's not his problem. And what are the odds of that?

• Options
    SyphyreSyphyre A Dangerous Pastime Registered User regular
    What, you mean you're not going to conquer all the outer realms too?

• Options
    NocrenNocren Lt Futz, Back in Action North CarolinaRegistered User regular
    Demonic Hell, Near future?
    50 to 1
    For anything else, well...

newSig.jpg
  • Options
    Syphyre wrote:
    What, you mean you're not going to conquer all the outer realms too?

Of course!

But using an orb like that is cheating.

• Options
    RucioRucio Registered User regular
    edited November 2011
    Man, I love the music here. I think mages get distinct
    dreams about Erana in the garden
    . It'll be interesting to see those.

Rucio on
  • Options
    Yeah, 4 had some cool class specific content.

Except for fighters

newSig.jpg
  • Options
    Don't mind me, just testing things out...

• Options
    SpoitSpoit *twitch twitch* Registered User regular
    Nocren wrote:
    Yeah, 4 had some cool class specific content.

Except for fighters
    Man, who's still a fighter by 4 anyway though?

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    Piotyr wrote:
    Don't mind me, just testing things out...

I think I got it to work separating the music and the VO, and keeping it clear enough to understand the words. Let me know if it's unacceptable.

• Options
    Well, I could hear the voice just fine, but I didn't hear any music.

• Options
    That was the idea, yes. Get the voice work without it getting muddled by the music.

• Options
    Then, success!

• Options
    The first, though maybe don't make the whole thing a link

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    Maybe for people like Piotyr, Toby, Katrina, and the old man, you can link one clip so we know what their voices sound like, but they sitck pretty close to the script. For the townsfolk, I recommend linking them all.

As for the Narrator... it's John-Ryhs.... It's a difficult decision to make.

newSig.jpg
  • Options
    Post the video with the transcript below it.

• Options
    RucioRucio Registered User regular
    I loves me some Rhys Davies.

I like the first option.

• Options
    Man, I actually forgot just how amazing the voice acting is for this game. Such an early game for voice over, and it's so good.

• Options
    Piotyr wrote:
    Man, I actually forgot just how amazing the voice acting is for this game. Such an early game for voice over, and it's so good.

Not THAT early. King's Quest V's CD-ROM version (with voice-acting) came out in 1992. QFG4's CD-ROM version came out in late 1994. And there were lots of other games in-between that had voice acting. And that's not even counting FMV games like Tex Murphy's Under a Killing Moon, Night Trap, the Sherlock Holmes games etc.; all of which came out in 1994 or earlier.

That said, it was probably one of the earliest to have GOOD voice-actors: John Rhys-Davies, Jim Cummings, Jeff Bennett, Jennifer Hale, etc. KQ5's voice work was done entirely by people around the office at Sierra, and it shows.

sig.gif
  • Options
    I think it's still up there with Curse of Monkey Island as one of the best voice acted games

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    edited April 2012
    Let's get this shadowy, bat-filled party started!

Magic User 44 - The Previous Narrator Has Been Sacked

xtPU8.pngSo, where did I end up again?

1RzF6.png

xtPU8.pngLooks a little dark. Shadowy, even.

aWenq.png

F7bDD.pngAt the very least, that last spell apparently turned my pants teal. Eh, it matches the motif here a little more, I guess. And spells?

7dmCl.png Flame Dart: 300
    jd01h.png Force Bolt: 300
    QoWTB.png Dazzle: 260
    VATuz.png Zap: 253
    9SYW7.png Trigger: 252
    NmrP1.png Calm: 252
    1uuwK.png Open: 250
    MMQqX.png Fetch: 250
    dRuRZ.png Lightning Ball: 238
    hT4Su.png Reversal: 202
    P3iur.png Levitate: 201
    heOWH.png Detect Magic: 200
    nEL5h.png Juggling Lights: 152

F7bDD.pngI like the color, actually. As for that ominous title screen, I think I'll need all the luck I can get to deal with it.

EUWxt.png

F7bDD.pngThat'll do, luck. That'll do. Now...where am I?

xbgLp.png

mQ1JX.png You awaken from nightmares of flying and falling. You find yourself in this strange place, the only illumination an eerie green glow. You've lost your weapons and the contents of your backpack somewhere during the journey. All you have are the clothes and armor on your back.

This leaves you with four burning questions:
    Where are you?
    How did you get here?
    Who brought you here?
    How in blazes can you get out of here?

No, make that five burning questions: What city did your luggage end up in this time?

F7bDD.pngUhhh...wow. Hi, I don't believe we've met before. I'm Jim Darkmagic, certified Wizard, Hero of Spielburg, Prince of Shapeir, and Doom of Tarna. A performance like yours, though, deserves a name. Can I just call you John? You sound like a John.

Thanks, John! That gives me a few things to do.

To-Do:
    - Where am I?
    - How did I get here?
    - Who brought me here?
    - How in blazes can I get out of here?

- One day, track down the Dark Master, who sounds awesome

F7bDD.pngWait a minute, did you say I have nothing but armor? Fuck, you're right! All my money! My pills! My sapphire pin, too! Well, time to start the rebuilding process, then. So, John, what's in this room?

mQ1JX.png You are in a large cave dimly lit by glowing lichen on the walls. Strange irregular outcroppings of stone grow from the gound, looking like the skeleton of some enormous beast. Here and there petrified human bodies seem to grow half in and half out of the floor and walls.

F7bDD.pngWhat about that skull-looking thing off to the right?

mQ1JX.png This is some kind of altar to the Dark One. The top is covered with sand. Torch-holders flank the altar to provide light for nameless rites and unspeakable rituals.

F7bDD.pngAnd that...thing way in the back there?

mQ1JX.png It seems to be some kind of stone valve acting as a door to the passageway beyond.

F7bDD.pngAnd in two minutes, you've already proven more valuable than the narrator of the past 3 adventures, combined. Can I Detect any magic here?

mQ1JX.png There is a faint glow of magic on all the bones, stronger near the altar. The torch sconces beside the altar have some magic, and the altar itself radiates a strong magical aura. The torch on the right side of the altar also radiates a magical aura.

F7bDD.pngA helpful narrator and a place I can cast magic freely without judgment where it's actually useful? I fucking love this place! Let's just Open that...door thing.

aqHe0.png

F7bDD.pngAh well, nothing's perfect. Maybe I'll just, you know, walk over there and open it, then. Just this once.

mQ1JX.png The valve won't budge. If you had a bit more light maybe you'd be able to see how to open it.

F7bDD.pngMaybe I'll politely knock, then. Worked for me several times in the past...

mQ1JX.png That didn't do anything!

F7bDD.pngSorry, geez. Dumb idea, won't happen again. For a bit. Guess I'll just start the looting, then. Maybe I can just sneak up to those corpses...

mQ1JX.png You're about as stealthy as the average Goon.

F7bDD.pngHey now, you don't get any points or skills for hitting me with blunt objects, even if they are words, John! Fine, I'll lumber over to that corpse in front. Anything interesting there?

AYE08.png

mQ1JX.png You search the dessicated body. The only still usable item is a dagger, which you pick up. However, lying around the bones are some coins -- 5 golden coins each have a crown stamped onto them, and 13 small copper ones are each stamped "1 Kopek."

+2 Find dagger on corpse (2)

F7bDD.pngThat paid off surprisingly well, gotta loot em all!

JTqKg.png
    A brief search reveals a piece of hard, grey rock, which you take, and some coins.

F7bDD.pngMoney and flint. Of course, no self-respecting wizard would resort to mere flint. Time to light up some torches the magical way!

hXUNM.png
    HPt2D.png
    +6 Light the torch (8)

F7bDD.pngI'd use Juggling Lights, of course, but I can't hold the spell and open the door simultaneously. A torch, on the other hand, I can use to see the door while still being able to open it.

mQ1JX.png This torch is firmly embedded in its holder.

F7bDD.pngFine, the other torch then! Should've probably paid closer attention to the results of that Detect Magic spell earlier, but that narration voice is so...wonderful.

povdg.png
    You take the torch.

F7bDD.pngNow, let's see about that valve...

FiJkU.png
    ZpcQF.png

mQ1JX.png You've made it into a large chamber. Stone valves like the one you just passed through apparently block three other passageways. There is a huge stone altar in the center of the room and an exit to the south.

F7bDD.pngWhat's that on the floor over there, John?

mQ1JX.png Someone has placed a large sheet, like a sort of makeshift shroud, over the withered corpse. It also has a small money pouch.

F7bDD.pngThen let us resume the looting!

dgEri.png

mQ1JX.png You pick up the canvas sheet and take 3 Crowns and 17 Kopeks from the pouch -- he won't be needing them any time soon!

F7bDD.pngThat he won't, John! Now, can I Detect anything going on in here?

mQ1JX.png The chaotic forces in these caves twist and change your magic in strange, unpredictable ways. For the moment, that spell has no discernable effect.

F7bDD.pngHmm...may be best to just work my way out of this...cave. To the exit!

FNhF9.png

F7bDD.pngCome get some, bats!

oLUb6.png
    jT8Qn.png

F7bDD.pngStill got it. Jim 2, bats Badders 0!

nkzzZ.png

mQ1JX.png A deep pit fills most of this hallway. A rope bridge spans the narrowest stretch of the chasm.

You can see the entrance to a large cave at the bottom of the pit. You catch an occasional glimpse of a horrid, multi-tentacled monster just inside the cave.

The strong wind in this cave is blowing the plants towards a passage on the left side of the chasm. Such cave drafts commonly indicate an exit of some sort.

F7bDD.pngThe More You Know! Can I just Levitate and let the wind take me over there?

mQ1JX.png You could definitely feel the wind rushing past you as you floated in the air, but there wasn't quite enough "push". You need to find a way to catch more of the wind to sail your way across.

F7bDD.pngLet's see, I have armor, a dagger, flint, money and a large sheet of canvas...

nXdol.png

F7bDD.pngNo, no, with a Levitate!

F0i6q.png
    +15 Cross chasm in cave (23)

F7bDD.pngOk, let's get out of here, now!

pT3gp.png
    CK2sy.png
    kpbgv.png

mQ1JX.png You slip through the mouth of the cave just in time to avoid being crushed by its closing "jaws". Whew!

F7bDD.pngAnd that was officially the strangest cave ever. However...success!

To-Do:
    - Where am I?
    - How did I get here?
    - Who brought me here?
    - One day, track down the Dark Master, who sounds awesome

F7bDD.pngNow to figure out where this is. Wait...is that a human woman? How you doin'?

zl6vZ.png

F7bDD.pngHoly shit! An attractive human woman that actually wants to talk to me! It's been a while. (Seriously, look back, it's been a long fucking time.)

gyLUk.png Who are you? How did you get here? There are so many questions I want to ask you, but I have to get home quickly. It's so dangerous out at night in Mordavia.

F7bDD.pngMordavia! That answers one of my questions. Another thing I was wondering...

gyLUk.png The town is due north of here. Be careful, there are many bad things wandering around. Good luck! Oh, by the way, my name is Katrina. I hope we meet again sometime. Farewell.

F7bDD.pngWait, Katrina, we could go to the town together...

DjgOP.png

F7bDD.pngDamn! That is likely the finest woman I have ever laid eyes on. This area gives me a feeling of deja-vu, though...

hNsqu.png

R8Zr4.png*gasp*

To-Do:
    - One day, Track down the Dark Master, who sounds awesome!
    - Get more Katrina
    - Find the town to the north

- Where am I?
    - How did I get here?
    - Who brought me here?

F7bDD.pngThat's enough excitement for one session. Hey, finally a starter session that isn't just wandering aimlessly around a town!

rijfW.png

Points tally:
    +2 Find dagger on corpse
    +6 Light the torch
    +15 Cross chasm in cave
    Total: 23 points out of 500

Voice overs now inserted!

Piotyr on
  • Options
    qg4hero.png My pills!

I'm imagining Jim as an old man searching for his medication now.

Man, QFG4 was so great in a lot of ways. It's such a shame it was buggy as fuck.

sig.gif
  • Options
    Hey, I had 157 healing and mana pills (left over from QFG2 because I knew they were cheaper there than from Salim). I also have no idea why I was bothering to conserve them throughout QFG3 (when I trained magic I went to the Heart of the Jungle because it auto-refills your mana at the top every time you go there), since I also knew I'd lose them all.

• Options
    Piotyr wrote:
    Hey, I had 157 healing and mana pills (left over from QFG2 because I knew they were cheaper there than from Salim). I also have no idea why I was bothering to conserve them throughout QFG3 (when I trained magic I went to the Heart of the Jungle because it auto-refills your mana at the top every time you go there), since I also knew I'd lose them all.

yeah... yeah

...by the way, doesn't the fact that your health bar is bright green mean you've been poisoned?

sig.gif
  • Options
    I inserted the intro music and the cave music...because they're awesome. Not just that I think they're awesome, they're objectively awesome.

• Options
    Piotyr wrote:

yeah... yeah

...by the way, doesn't the fact that your health bar is bright green mean you've been poisoned?

Yes, one hit from the bats and...yeah. If only I had some poison cure pills!

• Options
    Where did you find that lovely pixelated portrait of JRD?

newSig.jpg
  • Options
    Nocren wrote:
    Where did you find that lovely pixelated portrait of JRD?

I did it myself in GIMP by hard-scaling a GIS photo with zero filtering. It's not too pixellated so it's still recognizable, but I needed to do something to acknowledge him since it's really obvious and a huge benefit to the game.