As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[Tribes] Ascend. - Updating OP, steamgroup listed for coordinating matches together!

• Options
    AnzekayAnzekay Registered User regular
    edited June 2011
    Given that it looks like basic skill level play, that looks pretty rad.

I like the touch at the end :D

Anzekay on
  • Options
    augustaugust where you come from is gone Registered User regular
    edited June 2011
    I can dig it.

august on
  • Options
    TychoCelchuuuTychoCelchuuu PIGEON Registered User regular
    edited June 2011
    That looks fine. I didn't know this was Free to Play. How are they going to make money? Also, they added reloading, which I guess is keeping with the times.

TychoCelchuuu on
  • Options
    815165815165 Registered User regular
    edited June 2011
    Not super keen on reloading but that looked as Tribsey as I was hoping it could. :^:

edit: actually, where in the video was the reloading? the disc just looked like an animation rather than a mechanic if that's the bit you meant

815165 on
  • Options
    edited June 2011
    It looked more like it's just how the new disk gets put in, it was quick enough that it just feels like the delay between shots

Anzekay on
  • Options
    InquisitorInquisitor Registered User regular
    edited June 2011
    815165 wrote: »
    Not super keen on reloading but that looked as Tribsey as I was hoping it could. :^:

edit: actually, where in the video was the reloading? the disc just looked like an animation rather than a mechanic if that's the bit you meant

At the end he reloads his sub machinegun type weapon. You can see on the weapon that it has an smaller and larger number counter, one presumably for the magazine and one for the total ammo pool.

Looking at the spinfusor, it only shows one large number, implying that it has the same animation after every shot.

From this we can deduce that some weapons will have reloading and some won't.

I'm fine with that.

Edit:

As long as I am playing video detective:

Sniper rifle: Looks magazine based. Small clip, probably in the single digits. Maybe some kind of heat gauge at the bottom? Unsure.

Pistol: Uses a magazine.

Grenade launcher: Uses a magazine

SMG: Uses a magazine.

So...looking like maybe the spinfusor is just the odd man out so far?

Inquisitor on
  • Options
    TheKoolEagleTheKoolEagle Registered User regular
    edited June 2011
    i'm a bit sad about the clips, and that the sniper rifle is no longer energy based, i wonder about the shock lance, elf, and plasma gun, or if they took out energy based guns entirely

edit: the sniper rifle paused shows 1 bullet loaded at a time, 36 left so i am assuming 40 shots? seems like a lot of ammo in this game compared to the originals

TheKoolEagle on
    uNMAGLm.png Mon-Fri 8:30 PM CST - 11:30 PM CST
  • Options
    The Dude With HerpesThe Dude With Herpes Lehi, UTRegistered User regular
    edited June 2011
    Hmm...f2p kind of concerns me. I guess we'll see how they're going to manage that.

Other than that everything looked good in the clip except the sniper rifle. Making it ammo instead of energy based (shared with jetpack etc) is not a good move imo. Sure, it'll appease the crowd who are only used to your CoD's but energy management was a major aspect of TRIBES, and I think it'll lose a lot by taking that out.

Still...I'll reserve final judgement until we get a more clear picture of how the game will play out and what the f2p entails.

The Dude With Herpes on
    Steam: Galedrid - XBL: Galedrid - PSN: Galedrid
    Origin: Galedrid - Nintendo: Galedrid/3222-6858-1045
    Blizzard: Galedrid#1367 - FFXIV: Galedrid Kingshand

• Options
    edited June 2011
    While Tribes being like Tribes is important, we also have to keep in mind that until we play it we can't really pass full judgement. Tribes was pretty big on the feel and flow of the game, not really the details. It's certainly possible that magazine weapons could actually integrate into the gameplay very well and without any issues, it's just really hard to work that out from a gameplay vid.

The f2p model bugs me a little, though. I'd kinda like to be able to just jump into the game and have everything at my fingertips. I admit, though, that unlock systems like what we've seen in CoD and the like recently have annoyed me too.

EDIT: Oh, ah, not having a go at anyone here, just throwing out there something that I thought of :P

Anzekay on
  • Options
    BadwrongBadwrong TokyoRegistered User regular
    edited June 2011
    The thing I liked about sniping in tribes was also seeing the red laser. It added some strategy since some tard couldn't camp very easily as each shot could give away his spot. I forget, was the same red laser trail in the first tribes as well? I know it was in the second, and didnt play the first as much.

But ya... no laser trail on sniping is kinda poo. Cause then its just... regular old sniping.

Badwrong on
    Steam: Badwrong || Xbox: Duncan Dohnuts || PSN: Buc_wild

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
  • Options
    edited June 2011
    The effect wasn't the same but the result was. You could always tell where a sniper was shooting from via the laser in TRIBES.

The Dude With Herpes on

• Options
    totallyRebbtotallyRebb Registered User new member
    edited June 2011
    To me it looks like the sniper is leaving beams every time.

One is a very visible red beam between 0:15 and 0:17, and around 0:24 to 0:26.
    Looks like the red beam fizzles to a trail of steam/smoke after a short while.

It also seems to be used during the attack starting from 0:32 coming from the tower.

totallyRebb on
  • Options
    edited June 2011
    There's a sniper trail in the video, it's just difficult to see.

august on
  • Options
    TychoCelchuuuTychoCelchuuu PIGEON Registered User regular
    edited June 2011
    Oh, fuck me with a rake. Check out the preview article.

Long story short: instead of picking your armor, weapons, and pack, you'll choose from predetermined loadouts. And they're going to make money by selling the loadouts.

So... there goes 95% of my excitement for this game.

TychoCelchuuu on
  • Options
    DrakeDrake Edgelord Trash Below the ecliptic plane.Registered User regular
    edited June 2011
    The movement looks good and the terrain looks like it's going to give lots of opportunity for nice ski jumps and skimming. Hopefully it'll be nice and responsive.

Long story short: instead of picking your armor, weapons, and pack, you'll choose from predetermined loadouts. And they're going to make money by selling the loadouts.

That kind of reigns my enthusiasm in a bit, but it really depends on the pricing model and what you get as a F2P loadout choice. Tribes one I got a lot of mileage out of the default loadout you spawn with. Just give me light armor, a spinfusor and a chaingun.

Drake on
  • Options
    815165815165 Registered User regular
    edited June 2011

It depends on the variety and the prices to me. The game isn't going to cost anything so I'm not opposed to spending up to £30-40 on loadouts as long as the core gameplay is fun.

edit: if Brink had used this same price scheme I'd have saved some money for sure.

815165 on
  • Options
    edited June 2011
    If the article is true and the system is actually League of Legends style (meaning there is a non-cash way to unlock loadouts via just playing the game) then I am super excited for the game.

If cash is the only way to unlock load outs, zero interest.

Inquisitor on
  • Options
    edited June 2011
    Hmm...depending on how the loadouts you buy will work; i.e. how much they cost and whether or not they're permanent if you buy them or if you're "renting" them, it might work out fine in the end.

I had no illusion that the game would be entirely free and be totally playable at all levels of skill and competition. That's not exactly a good business model. But if I can get the game I want for the price that I'd have paid for a full priced game with the same net result, eh. No biggie. In TRIBES I had several loadouts depending on what I was planning on doing; if I can get the same effective ones and never have to buy them again, I'm all good.

Still, we shall see.

The Dude With Herpes on

• Options
    edited June 2011
    looking to trade 4 legendary spinfusor of ice pls pm if interested

august on
  • Options
    ZekZek Registered User regular
    edited June 2011
    I'm fine with reloading and predetermined loadouts and whatever other small changes they make. None of that stuff is really what Tribes is about, and that trailer looks pretty damn nice.

It sounds like what they're doing is a mix between TF2 and LoL, and I'm fine with that. F2P is a fantastic model for building a strong playerbase, which is critical to the success of any multiplayer game, so I think this is for the best as long as anything gameplay-related can be bought with ingame currency. I'm not sure why the author of that article is so preoccupied with what the loadouts look like - you get them because you want gameplay variety.

Zek on
  • Options
    NerdtendoNerdtendo Registered User regular
    edited June 2011
    You know, the F2P business model they're going with might actually be a good thing for Tribes. It'll be a free FPS with a bunch of players who have enjoyed the franchise in the past hopping on from the get go, at least for a try... and will attract all sorts of new players. It's quite possible that their model for purchasing stuff will suck, but I think we can all admit it's going to give the franchise a new shot at getting recognition, and love.

Just please, for the love of god, keep the weapons balanced. Don't give us a mortar and a mortar +1. And if they decide to go with a credit and cash route, where players can spend earned credits to "rent" stuff, or cash to purchase it permanently, I think I could support that. If I enjoy the game, I'll throw money at them just for the love of my favorite franchise ever.

Nerdtendo on
    IHZR47b.png
  • Options
    TetraNitroCubaneTetraNitroCubane The Djinnerator At the bottom of a bottleRegistered User regular
    edited June 2011
    I can see this getting free to play model getting bad, particularly if they don't let us customize our load outs...
    Free:
    Medium Armor
    Blaster
    ELF Projector
    Whiteout Grenade
    Jammer Pack
    Cannot ride vehicles

Value $5.99 Pack:
    Heavy Armor
    Blaster
    Chaingun
    Plasma Rifle
    Grenade Launcher
    Missile Launcher
    Concussion Grenades
    Ammo Pack
    For an additional $5.99, upgrade to the Fusion Mortar instead of the grenade launcher!
    Can be a passenger in transports

Tribal $9.99 Pack:
    Light Armor
    Blaster
    Chaingun
    Laser Rifle
    Energy Pack
    Flare Grenades
    Can pilot vehicles, except for Shrike

Extreme $59.99 Pack:
    Light Armor
    Spinfusor
    Who the hell cares about anything else
    Energy Pack
    Can pilot Shrike
    Obviously fake, just in case anyone thinks it's not

TetraNitroCubane on
  • Options
    edited June 2011
    That's not funny.

The Dude With Herpes on

• Options
    edited June 2011
    Sixty bucks for a spinfusor sounds like a bargain to me. :lol:

Drake on
  • Options
    TetraNitroCubaneTetraNitroCubane The Djinnerator At the bottom of a bottleRegistered User regular
    edited June 2011
    Drake wrote: »

To be perfectly honest, it was what I was expecting to pay for the game anyway!

But seriously, I hope we still get the chance to modify our load outs. That was part of the fun, in my opinion.

TetraNitroCubane on
  • Options
    edited June 2011
    Something tells me that little feature is getting saved for the upcoming MMO.

Drake on
  • Options
    GuildNavigatorGuildNavigator Registered User regular
    edited June 2011
    Drake wrote: »

Seriously. If the game was $60 that's all I'd be paying for anyway.

GuildNavigator on
  • Options
    EnigEnig a.k.a. Ansatz Registered User regular
    edited June 2011
    Trailer looks awesome. I can't wait.

I'm pretty fine with the loadout model, since the game is FREE to begin with. I am happy to spend ~$50 to play Tribes, whatever form the payments are in.

Enig on
    ibpFhR6PdsPw80.png
    Steam (Ansatz) || GW2 officer (Ansatz.6498)
  • Options
    Fizban140Fizban140 Registered User, __BANNED USERS regular
    edited June 2011
    I just hope the maps and gametypes remain free.

Fizban140 on
  • Options
    LittleBootsLittleBoots Registered User regular
    edited June 2011
    I would say that charging for maps or gametypes would be the stupidest of all things as it would fragment the player base something fierce. I have no problem paying for loadouts though I would prefer to buy weapons, armor and packs individually.

LittleBoots on

Tofu wrote: Here be Littleboots, destroyer of threads and master of drunkposting.
  • Options
    edited June 2011
    If they're using LoL as their model, then it'll probably work something like this:

Either you choose your loadouts, but you have to buy the weapons and packs and grenade types and armour types and shizz in order to to be able fully customize it, or

You can choose from a (probably huge) list of loadouts, but can't make your own (but probably wont need to), but you have to buy each loadout in order to be able to use it.

In addition, each week there is a list of loadouts that everyone gets to choose from without having to buy them/the gear.

Finally, you buy all this stuff via two means: Playing games earns you in-game currency that you can buy everything integral to the game with. You can also spend real money to buy a different sort of currency that does the same thing but might also buy skins and shit, and has different prices.

There wont be any shit like Spinfusor +1, period.

Anzekay on
  • Options
    MorkathMorkath Registered User, __BANNED USERS regular
    edited June 2011
    Anzekay wrote: »
    If they're using LoL as their model, then it'll probably work something like this:

Either you choose your loadouts, but you have to buy the weapons and packs and grenade types and armour types and shizz in order to to be able fully customize it, or

You can choose from a (probably huge) list of loadouts, but can't make your own (but probably wont need to), but you have to buy each loadout in order to be able to use it.

In addition, each week there is a list of loadouts that everyone gets to choose from without having to buy them/the gear.

Finally, you buy all this stuff via two means: Playing games earns you in-game currency that you can buy everything integral to the game with. You can also spend real money to buy a different sort of currency that does the same thing but might also buy skins and shit, and has different prices.

Have you not played Global Agenda? That is exactly what their shop is. Pay to keep using your Spinfusor +1.

Morkath on
  • Options
    Lux782Lux782 Registered User regular
    edited June 2011
    I am not sure I like this F2P model. Tribes is about its flexibility. From the load outs you pick, to the mods on the servers.

Will there be dedicated servers that groups of people can host or are we stuck with shitty match making?

Lux782 on
  • Options
    ZekZek Registered User regular
    edited June 2011
    Global Agenda is part MMO, with leveling and everything. They haven't said anything about there being progression in Tribes.

Zek on
  • Options
    BlueDestinyBlueDestiny Registered User regular
    edited June 2011
    I'm sure they'll find some way to shoehorn it in.

BlueDestiny on
  • Options
    Fizban140Fizban140 Registered User, __BANNED USERS regular
    edited June 2011
    You must be level 16 to learn Rank 1 Jet Pack.

Buy Tribes Bucks to earn double xp!

Fizban140 on
  • Options
    edited June 2011
    Morkath wrote: »
    Anzekay wrote: »

Have you not played Global Agenda? That is exactly what their shop is. Pay to keep using your Spinfusor +1.

Like I said, this is if they are following the LoL model.

Anzekay on
  • Options
    edited June 2011
    Fizban140 wrote: »
    You must be level 16 to learn Rank 1 Jet Pack.

Buy Tribes Bucks to earn double xp!

Lets be honest here.

Buy Tribes Bucks to enable skiing for 10 days!

Morkath on
  • Options
    edited June 2011
    I doubt they would use the same model as Global Agenda. Why cannibalize that games already tiny userbase? Might as well make a distinct entity.

Inquisitor on
  • Options
    edited June 2011
    The very act of making a new tribes game is going to cannibalize GA's user base. I really doubt GA makes enough money to worry them about stealing users from it either for tribes.

Morkath on
This discussion has been closed.