As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Prey 2 - It sure doesn't sound like Prey!

• Options
    KadokenKadoken Giving Ends to my Friends and it Feels Stupendous Registered User regular
    edited June 2011
    Before Trailer: "What the fuck is Prey 2?"
    After Trailer: "Holy shit, that was awesome."

Kadoken on
  • Options
    tofutofu Registered User regular
    edited June 2011
    Awesome trailer, of course the game won't be like it at all but I hope it's good nonetheless :D

tofu on
  • Options
    RoyceSraphimRoyceSraphim Registered User regular
    edited June 2011
    So, examining the video in high quality, the target was an anti government agent and he was talking about his government using you. The target at the end of the video was from a different customer.

Also, the bounty's first word isn't translated into english.

I love this game already

RoyceSraphim on
  • Options
    ShadowfireShadowfire Vermont, in the middle of nowhereRegistered User regular
    edited June 2011
    tofu wrote: »
    Awesome trailer, of course the game won't be like it at all but I hope it's good nonetheless :D

No, but it sets the tone.

Also, I love Brink, and I hope more games use the SMART system or something like it (both are published by Bethesda!).

Shadowfire on
    WiiU: Windrunner ; Guild Wars 2: Shadowfire.3940 ; PSN: Bradcopter
  • Options
    HeirHeir Ausitn, TXRegistered User regular
    edited June 2011
    The Johnny Cash music really made that trailer. Good Lord that looks awesome.

I don't get why they even bothered to call this Prey 2. Why not just use a new IP?

Heir on
    camo_sig2.png
  • Options
    KadokenKadoken Giving Ends to my Friends and it Feels Stupendous Registered User regular
    edited June 2011
    I hope it's not a linear level shooter.

Kadoken on
  • Options
    edited June 2011
    Kadoken wrote: »
    I hope it's not a linear level shooter.

Well they said it was open world. Guess we'll see.

Heir on
    camo_sig2.png
  • Options
    edited June 2011
    Probably an open world hub with linear levels branching off

tofu on
  • Options
    KlashKlash Lost... ... in the rainRegistered User regular
    edited June 2011
    Two precedents for "open world" FPS come to mind. The Wolfenstein-style with a hub/linear missions and the Far Cry 2 actual open world with nothing to do and wonky stuff all over.

I'm hoping for the latter, minus the wonk and with something to do.

Klash on
    We don't even care... whether we care or not...
  • Options
    OptimusZedOptimusZed Registered User regular
    edited June 2011
    That was a rather compelling trailer.

This is now pretty solidly on my radar.

OptimusZed on
    We're reading Rifts. You should too. You know you want to. Now With Ninjas!

They tried to bury us. They didn't know that we were seeds. 2018 Midterms. Get your shit together.
  • Options
    ZzuluZzulu Registered User regular
    edited June 2011
    Really cool trailer but did it contain any gameplay at all? I want to see gameplay, dogs

Zzulu on
    t5qfc9.jpg
  • Options
    edited June 2011
    Giantbomb had a comprehensive writeup about the game in April: http://www.giantbomb.com/news/prey-2-looks-great-almost-nothing-like-prey/3051/
    The game is essentially a first-person shooter set in an open hub environment that's full of side missions, ambient character events, multiple pathways, and other stuff to occupy you when you don't feel like advancing the main storyline.

Exodus is tidally locked with its star, which means that one side of the planet always faces toward the star, and the other side always faces away. In practical terms, Human Head has used that premise to create three separate urban hub maps on different parts of the planet. Naturally, one is on the day side, the other is over on the night side, and the third is located in the in-between zone of perpetual dusk and potentially weird weather patterns. I only got to see one of those nighttime hubs, but it instantly evokes dingy future-city classics like Blade Runner, with a lot of neon signs and associated puddles to reflect them.

Plenty of various alien races milling about, too, which is where Samuels' new occupation as a bounty hunter comes in. Human Head is emphasizing "player choice" as a major component of Prey 2, and to that end you'll be able to roam around each hub city as you see fit, looking for things to do. If you see an alien getting beaten up or mugged, you can intervene and help him, and he might pay you off afterward. Or you can help out the aggressors and see what they do. Or you can murder everyone involved! You move around Prey 2's world with your weapon holstered by default, and simply drawing and pointing a gun at most NPCs will elicit some sort of reaction. They may feel threatened, they may run, they may attack you. The point is, Prey 2 aims to create the sort of living, dynamic world you see in games like Red Dead or one of publisher Bethesda's own shooters, just with more traditional first-person shooting action at its core.

Like those games, Prey 2 has one linear story thread that spans a sequence of missions from beginning to end, but there are other things to occupy your time too. In addition to the short, randomized world encounters you'll see here and there, you can pull up the "bounty wire," which is basically a virtual job board, to see what side missions are available. Once you take on a bounty, you'll have some choice in how you want to carry it out. In the demo I got to see, the player met up with an informant under the pretense of paying for the location of his target, but it was just as viable a strategy to kill the guy's bodyguard and then point your weapon at him to force him to cough up the info for free (though it was said that actions like this may come back to haunt you later in the game). Other than, say, a guy expecting reparations at some point after you screwed him over, the game won't specifically track your morality or anything, so you're pretty much free to be as good or bad as you want, as long as you can accept the consequences.

tofu on
  • Options
    harvestharvest By birthright, a stupendous badass.Registered User regular
    edited June 2011
    Cool trailer for sure. Lets hope they have more to show off during E3.

harvest on
    B6yM5w2.gif
  • Options
    Final_BossFinal_Boss Registered User regular
    edited June 2011
    IIRC, they are supposed to be giving a live demo of this on Spikes/Gametrailers E3 coverage on monday.

Final_Boss on
    360 & Steam: InfinityPrime
    PSN: Infinity_Prime
  • Options
    chiasaur11chiasaur11 Never doubt a raccoon. Do you think it's trademarked?Registered User regular
    edited June 2011
    So, remembered sommat they said about playing both sides in this. Yojimbo stuff. This makes me giddy.

See, just finished Hammett's Red Harvest. Dealings of the dirtiest sort and piles of corpses. A chance to be the Continental Op minus the paunch would be the cat's pajamas.

chiasaur11 on
  • Options
    TurkeyTurkey So, Usoop. TampaRegistered User regular
    edited June 2011
    So it's hub based? I thought Wolfenstein was just a few steps away from being excellent, so that sounds great to me.

The trailer showed a world that I can't wait to see more of. Looking forward to seeing more next week!

Turkey on
  • Options
    edited June 2011
    Final_Boss wrote: »
    IIRC, they are supposed to be giving a live demo of this on Spikes/Gametrailers E3 coverage on monday.

Cool, something to look forward to

tofu on
  • Options
    DrakeDrake Edgelord Trash Below the ecliptic plane.Registered User regular
    edited June 2011
    Without a doubt.

And Red Harvest in Space with parkour and crazy sci fi weapons would be the greatest thing of all time.

Drake on
  • Options
    OkasviOkasvi Registered User regular
    edited June 2011
    You know, I never played the original prey, but I think ditching the portals and wallwalking was a huge wasted oppoturnity. I mean the current game looks like it'll be fun as hell, if they get the concept right, but imagine parkouring through some M.C. Escherian nightmare city.

Chasing someone through a shady bazaar built on the side of a building, through a portal arch and suddenly you are on the other side of the city running through an upside down plaza. Taking insane shortcuts through constantly switching gravity and cutting off your prey when you get to an intersection by heading in the opposite direction that he goes. And so on. The possibilities for clever navigation would be endless.

Okasvi on
  • Options
    DusdaDusda is ashamed of this post SLC, UTRegistered User regular
    edited June 2011
    This just jumped to the top of my list. Assassination and bounty hunting are essentially my favorite gaming concepts, and if the game is anything like that trailer, well, I'm sold.

I'm very interested to see how they structure the game's missions and plot. Honestly, I would like to see something more episodic, like L.A. Noire.

Dusda on
    and this sig. and this twitch stream.
  • Options
    TurkeyTurkey So, Usoop. TampaRegistered User regular
    edited June 2011
    Have they confirmed that were won't be portals or gravity hijinks? That city seems like a good place for some of that insanity.

Turkey on
  • Options
    HonkHonk Honk is this poster. Registered User, __BANNED USERS regular
    edited June 2011
    Mind. Blown.

Honk on
    PSN: Honkalot
  • Options
    Jimmy MarkuJimmy Marku LondonRegistered User regular
    edited June 2011
    Well, that dude did jump off a building and didn't end up as a bloody splat so I reckon we'll get to defy the laws of physics to some extent.

Jimmy Marku on
  • Options
    ZzuluZzulu Registered User regular
    edited June 2011
    That dude teleported

Teleportation is like the luxury version of portals

Zzulu on
    t5qfc9.jpg
  • Options
    DragkoniasDragkonias That Guy Who Does Stuff You Know, There. Registered User regular
    edited June 2011
    I wonder though...why would they kidnap you...just to turn you into a bounty hunter.

I'm sure there be some kind of explanation but that is weird.

Dragkonias on
  • Options
    edited June 2011
    Dragkonias wrote: »
    I wonder though...why would they kidnap you...just to turn you into a bounty hunter.

I'm sure there be some kind of explanation but that is weird.

You meet Tommy but had apparently met him before.

I'm sure you were saved by his spirit bow or whatever. :P

Shadowfire on
  • Options
    HonkHonk Honk is this poster. Registered User, __BANNED USERS regular
    edited June 2011
    Didn't they explain the premise like the plane was kidnapped but the character somehow ended up stranded on that planet?

Honk on
    PSN: Honkalot
  • Options
    TychoCelchuuuTychoCelchuuu PIGEON Registered User regular
    edited June 2011
    Not really sure there's any way that this game is going to even come close to living up to that trailer (60% of that is basically impossible in an FPS played with a gamepad, for instance), but at least they're aiming high, right? And any excuse to listen to Johnny Cash is welcome.

TychoCelchuuu on
  • Options
    edited June 2011
    If the gameplay evokes the kind of feeling the trailer gives, then I'm fine with it being over the top as to what can actually be accomplished in gameplay terms.

Drake on
  • Options
    edited June 2011
    Not really sure there's any way that this game is going to even come close to living up to that trailer (60% of that is basically impossible in an FPS played with a gamepad, for instance), but at least they're aiming high, right? And any excuse to listen to Johnny Cash is welcome.

Console FPS olol!

But yea, there's plenty in that trailer (most, if not all, of it) that can be done with a controller. Look at Mirror's Edge or Brink for some examples.

Shadowfire on
  • Options
    MongerMonger I got the ham stink. Dallas, TXRegistered User regular
    edited June 2011
    Oh hey, we have a Prey thread.

Guess what, guys?

Prey 2 might be pretty good.

Monger on
  • Options
    -Loki--Loki- Don't pee in my mouth and tell me it's raining. Registered User regular
    edited June 2011
    As said a million times already, as long as the music is there and the gameplay even vaguely matches that, I can completely forgive not continuing the Prey story.

Most of that video is something like a fast paced, physics defying Mirrors Edge anyway.

-Loki- on
  • Options
    TychoCelchuuuTychoCelchuuu PIGEON Registered User regular
    edited June 2011
    Shadowfire wrote: »

Console FPS olol!

But yea, there's plenty in that trailer (most, if not all, of it) that can be done with a controller. Look at Mirror's Edge or Brink for some examples.

The stuff I'm thinking of is when he slides under that thing and shoots the two people standing on it, or the parts where he nails a lot of people with single shots in rapid succession with the pistol. Mirror's Edge doesn't really make you shoot while doing acrobatics and Brink doesn't seem very fast to me, although I haven't played Brink.

TychoCelchuuu on
  • Options
    CaptainNemoCaptainNemo Registered User regular
    edited June 2011
    Tommy will be the final, most dangerous, and longest bounty. The big moral choice will be turning him for insane profits or helping him hunt down the creatures who hired you.

Calling it now.

CaptainNemo on
    PSN:CaptainNemo1138
    Shitty Tumblr:lighthouse1138.tumblr.com
  • Options
    KlashKlash Lost... ... in the rainRegistered User regular
    edited June 2011

Console FPS olol!

The stuff I'm thinking of is when he slides under that thing and shoots the two people standing on it, or the parts where he nails a lot of people with single shots in rapid succession with the pistol. Mirror's Edge doesn't really make you shoot while doing acrobatics and Brink doesn't seem very fast to me, although I haven't played Brink.

Crysis 2 sort of had that. You could slide a fair distance while firing your weapon. Not sure how useful or effective it really was, but trailers depicted the player sliding underneath a truck, while firing at enemies.

Klash on
    We don't even care... whether we care or not...
  • Options
    RoyceSraphimRoyceSraphim Registered User regular
    edited June 2011
    WET, albeit not a very good game, let you hit a slowmo button that had you draw two guns, one would autofire at a random enemy and you could aim the other......

is it worth it to play a bad game for a good game mechanic....wait, I just remembered I played Postal 2, so no.

RoyceSraphim on
  • Options
    RamiRami Registered User regular
    edited June 2011
    I'd like to get excited over this but fancy cg trailers don't really mean shit. I hope there's plenty of real footage from E3 because it sounds like a good thing.

Rami on
    Steam / Xbox Live: WSDX NNID: W-S-D-X 3DS FC: 2637-9461-8549
    sig.gif
  • Options
    edited June 2011
    Klash wrote: »

Console FPS olol!

Crysis 2 sort of had that. You could slide a fair distance while firing your weapon. Not sure how useful or effective it really was, but trailers depicted the player sliding underneath a truck, while firing at enemies.

A mix between Brink and Red Dead Redemption would work I think.

Heir on
    camo_sig2.png
  • Options
    edited June 2011
    Just saw some gameplay footage of this on the gametrailers E3 stream.

Holy shit.

Doubters, get ready to eat crow.

Drake on
  • Options
    Final_BossFinal_Boss Registered User regular
    edited June 2011
    Just watched the demo on Gametrailers. Looks very good, surprisingly close to the CG trailer actually. Looks like the parkour movement is handled a lot like Brink. (which I think controls very well)

Looking forward to this greatly now.

Final_Boss on
    360 & Steam: InfinityPrime
    PSN: Infinity_Prime