As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[D&D 4E IC] Residuum Revolution Strange- Outlaws!

• Options
    TuranosTuranos Registered User regular
    Apparently happy to continue to follow the others, Mnemo walks sedately nearby while inspecting the tiny leaf markings that in fact now adorn its crystalline structure. The construct experiments with shifting its colours between a bright spring green flowing into a verdant summer emerald before fading a little into a golden autumnal glow before becoming a cold and muted winter white.

• Options
    daniantdaniant Columbus, OhioRegistered User regular
    You continue your journey west, stopping here and there for rest and to replenish your water supply. You managed to snag food from the weaponsmiths' camp, but after a few days of travel it begins to get stale. You pass a few roads running north and south and Ilesombra knows a few towns in this area. It's been four or five days and you have yet to see nk'barra or police on your trek through the woods, even though Mnemo has been constantly sending its awareness out to "look" for anyone just in case.

• Options
    Lord PalingtonLord Palington he.him.his History-loving pal!Registered User regular
    In the nights, Tordain prayed for guidance. What was this spirit that had contacted them? Should they release it, or find a way to lock it away forever?

Erathis kept her counsel to herself, at least for the moment.

During the days, the dwarf ate as little as he could, used to going with less than his compatriots back in the old days.

"It seems we lost them, but I'm a little lost as well. Anyone know where we're heading, or where we can trade for some food?"

SrUxdlb.jpg
  • Options
    dresdenphiledresdenphile Watch out for snakes!Registered User regular
    edited January 2012
    Ilesombra replies, "Where we're headed, I cannot say for sure. However, I fairly certain that we are near the town of North Haverbrook, which I recall not being too welcoming to nk'barra. We should be able to resupply there."

dresdenphile on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    Upon hearing the dwarf mention trading for food, Mnemo becomes curious as to the physical state of its companions. Lightly touching the minds of the others, it is surprised to read significant and growing hunger. It had been absorbed in considering the intentions of the entity apparently directing their fates, as well as passively scanning the surroundings for presences, and had forgotten that organic creatures metabolise matter as an energy source.

After some pondering, the construct begins to communicate with the group, though its mental "voice" volume is erratic as it attempts to avoid the painful side-effects of its "speech". IT IS POSSIBLE that I-myself-this-one- there is some confusion around this concept, but it transmits the image of the thing you have come to know as Mnemo, may discover OTHER BEINGS-OTHER MINDS- the concept of individual mental entities with examples from the group, in the vicinity- a pause, tinged with a hope for understanding, is this DESIRED?

• Options
    Lord PalingtonLord Palington he.him.his History-loving pal!Registered User regular
    Well, it didn't hurt as bad this time, maybe the stone could learn?

"Yes, that sounds useful. After that, we can head toward the town. Any idea how we can get in to get supplies without attracting too much attention? You said they don't like the nk'barra, and we can use that, but I don't want to be too memorable."

SrUxdlb.jpg
  • Options
    Ilesombra cocked an eyebrow at the dwarf. "With a walking statue and fire elemental in tow? I haven't a clue. I figured we'd just take our chances with the locals."

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    Leaving Ilesombra and Tordain to discuss the best way to approach the nearby town, Mnemo wanders a little way from the group before suddenly standing perfectly still. It doesn't move at all for a minute or two, until the crystals forming its body slowly separate a little from their usual groupings. Each fragment begins to orbit the construct in its own way and at its own speed, though no crystal ever obstructs another. Mnemo's consciousness spreads and whirls, flowing in gradually increasing circles across the land, seeking out the telltale psychic resonances of sentient creatures.

Intelligence Check - Scanning for Minds: 1d20+6 9

That... was not a great roll.

• Options
    Mnemo reaches out with his mind but can barely sense his companions' psychic residue, let alone other life forms.

• Options
    Sensing that Memno's plan wasn't panning out as well as it had hoped, Ilesombra continues, "Let's just take our chances with the townsfolk. We should be able to be discreet for long enough to buy supplies and get out."

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    AegofAegof Registered User regular
    "Discretion will be difficult," Ladej says. "These weapons mark the wielder as nk'barra; the question of why we have them will draw attention even to you world-born. We should use the nk'barra's unpopularity to our advantage where we can."

I'm providing ambience.
  • Options
    "Then let me go first. I bear no mark of the nk'barra, nor would I draw as much attention. If it is safe, I will come get you. If not, I will get supplies and we will continue on our way."

SrUxdlb.jpg
  • Options
    Tordain gathers his things and then walks in the direction in which Ilesombra points him.

The little village he encounters is quaint and homely. He instantly notices that they have a monument to Melora on the outskirts of town, a goddess that is very infrequently worshiped. You can hear a blacksmith at work and also see a comfortable little building with smoke rising out of its stack, the outline of a flagon burned into the wood in the door.

• Options
    Tordain takes a moment to breathe in the air of the village. Though it is small, it is something of civilization. He listens as the sounds of daily life wash over him.

The ringing of a blacksmith's hammer catches his attention first. A relic of his dwarven upbringing, Tordain did not consider a place civilized if there were not at least one blacksmith present. He makes a motion of respect toward the statue of Melora and takes a moment to ponder the town's unusual choice in patron.
    Religion (Melora): 1d20+8 28 CRIT!

He enter the smithy, intending to ask about the village, their opinion on the nk'barra, and incidentally, how they might feel about a heavily armed group who seem to have made a habit of killing aforementioned nk'barra.

SrUxdlb.jpg
  • Options
    Melora is revered as a patron of the wilderness. The nk'barra don't have a problem with her (although they prefer Bahamut), but she's not seen around much, and never in the big cities. You might see her shrine on a mountainside or in a forest.

You also know that she is the direct antipode to your Goddess, although they are not opposed to one another.

Your study of the ways of Erathis has given you great insight that most people don't have. Worship of Melora can also be seen in some circles as an act of opposition to the government which prefers to keep people where they can see it. The government and the nk'barra so far don't know about this. Melorites would like to keep it that way. Most people think that worship of Melora is just a throw back to older times. Older even than the Fey Empire. And that's fine.

• Options
    Tordain hails the smith. "Greetings friend, can you tell me the name of this village?"

The dwarf tries to turn a critical eye to the weapons on display, but the smoke of the smithy is clouding his vision.

SrUxdlb.jpg
  • Options
    The smith turns around, tongs in hand. He is an absolutely huge man with bulging muscles. He looks down at you and smiles. "Yer in North Haverbrook. Don't see a lot of small folk around here. What do ya need, stranger?"

• Options
    "Just a place to rest a few moments, and some supplies for my journey. I am Tordain, of Clan Silverpact, and I wanted to see if you had a few minutes to talk, or if you knew someone with information about the surrounding area."

SrUxdlb.jpg
  • Options
    "Pleased to meet a fine fella as yerself. My name's Angus Smith." He holds out a meaty hand clad in leather gloves for you to shake.

"There's the alehouse over there, they serve grub. Ya might even convince Constance ta let ya rest for the night. She's got a thing fer dwarves. She'll sell ya what ya need, too."

• Options
    Tordain clasps the man's hand firmly. "Good to know." He takes a moment to look around the place again. "I have a few ..." he hesitates on the word, "friends I am traveling with. A couple aren't much for the civilized lands, but I don't think that will be a problem around here, am I right?"

Tordain glances casually in the direction of the shrine to Melora.

SrUxdlb.jpg
  • Options
    Angus gives you a knowing wink.

"Ye'll do just fine here. Constance'll set ya all up with a meal and some beer fer the night."

• Options
    Tordain nods to Angus. "I will let her know to expect us, then. Thank you for your help."

The dwarf leaves and goes to seek out the inn, to let the hostess know exactly what sort of companions he would be bringing to dinner.

SrUxdlb.jpg
  • Options
    The ale house is warm and friendly. Constance is a heavyset woman polishing glasses. When you walk in her eyes widen and then she smiles broadly.

"Welcome, stranger! What brings you to these neck of the woods?"

She pours you a glass at the bar and sets it down with a wink.

• Options
    "You must be Constance." The dwarf settles down at the bar with a familiar ease. "The name's Tordain, of the Silverpacts. My friends sent me ahead to see if I could secure some lodging for the night, maybe some supplies."

He takes a long drink. "I was told you're the one to come see about that."

SrUxdlb.jpg
  • Options
    "You know, we don't get strangers around here often, but I like to hear stories about what's happening outside of town. Bring your friends along, and we've got a few rooms out back that they can stay in."

Constance smiles. "Finish that drink, I'll put the stew on, and then get your friends. I'm sure I can get some things together for you."

• Options
    Tordain finishes his drink. "Much appreciated, ma'am. Just so you know, some of my friends carry weapons made for a ... certain group. We have no love for them, and took them only to put them to better use."

He got up to go get his 'friends.' "Seeing as how the thugs had no use for them anymore." He nodded. "Thanks again for the hospitality."

He left to go find his companions and tell them of the town and the beds waiting for them.

SrUxdlb.jpg
  • Options
    Tordain eventually came back to the group. Dusk was beginning to fall as you trekked into town.

Tordain looked around as you walked. "Where's King?"

Ilesombra shook her head. "He just stood up, said something about missing a show, and then took off. It's as if he was a different person."

As you walked into the alehouse, Constance was laying down a couple of bowls of stew. She smiled, then her brow creased a bit. She shot a quick glance at a corner of the room where a piece of paper was tacked up. Then she shrugged and started pouring beer.

• Options
    On the journey back, Tordain responded as best he could to the news of the King's disappearance. "Oh. Hard to be surprised by anything that man does. The town has a shrine to Melora, who has no love for the ruling class in general and the nk'barra in particular. We should be able to stay long enough to resupply and rest."

---

At the alehouse, Tordain orders up the beer for his companions. "Thanks, Constance." He is a little concerned about that paper she was looking at, though.

SrUxdlb.jpg
  • Options
    edited February 2012
    This was supposed to be in the ooc thread, sorry.

daniant on
  • Options
    Ilesombra moves over to look at the piece of paper that Constance was studying.

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    In the corner of the room, a piece of paper is stuck on the wall. It appears to be a vague written description of the members of your party. At the bottom are the words WANTED- DEAD OR ALIVE.

There is a reward offered- 500 gold for each of you- to be paid by the nk'barra.

The paper looks fairly fresh.

• Options
    The paladin taps the paper as she addresses Constance. "Should this concern us while we're here, madam? We're simply passing through in hopes of replenishing our traveling stores. We try our best to remain...inconspicuous." Ilesombra puts emphasis on the last word as her gaze flicks between the genasi and shardmind.

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    Constance looks at the paper, reads it, and squints at you.

"Is that really you? Where is the semi-naked man? Huh."

She give the paper one more glance, and then turns to the huge pot of stew simmering over the fire. She holds a corner of the notice to the fire and holds it up as flames lick down the sides of the paper.

"This is what we think of nk'barra in these parts. Now how much stew do you want, hon?"

• Options
    "We don't know when or where he will turn up. Just that he will."'

Tordain gratefully accepts the stew and ale, and turns to his companions.

"We still have far to travel. What supplies will we need before we move on tomorrow?"

SrUxdlb.jpg
  • Options
    Mnemo watches the innkeeper burn the notice with confusion. It still cannot grasp the intricacies of interactions between different groups of organics. This one seems to be willing to aid the group, however, so it eventually accepts that as the current state of affairs and thinks no more on it.

Responding to Tordain's question, Mnemo decides to make itself useful. It has observed organics in a number of situations, and understands their basic physical needs. ORGANIC CREATURES REQUIRE- flashing mental images of water and food bombard the others- FAILURE TO CONVERT MATTER INTO ENERGY- suddenly, the group is assaulted by full telepathic depictions of dying of starvation and thirst, each carefully customised to feature the recipient as the "main character"- NOT RECOMMENDED.

Pleased with its efforts to be helpful, Mnemo secures its place as a normal and valued member of the party by ending its message with an approximation of a knowing nod. The fact that it does so by simply disengaging some of the crystals forming its neck so that its entire head merely tilts to forty-five degrees spoils the effect somewhat.

• Options
    Ilesombra nods at Mnemo's "interjection" and says, "Yes, rations and drinking water are the highest priority right now."

Lowering her voice, the paladin asks, "And what of the King? Should we try looking for the fool, or should we press on without him? My skill in healing is limited, and we might fare better on our journey with someone who is dedicated to that pursuit."

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    It takes a moment for Tordain to come out of the reverie. It had been some time since he had been that hungry...

"Hm? Oh, King. I think looking for him is a fool's errand. Kind like that, they come and go. No roots." He shrugs. "The gifts Erathis has blessed me with do not include the gift of healing. I am her hammer, a blunt instrument against the chaos." He takes another pull from his mug.

"Don't mind, I just get sentimental with some good food and drink in me."

SrUxdlb.jpg
  • Options
    edited February 2012
    Ilesombra shakes her head at the drunken dwarf, trying hard to suppress a smile. "Right. Anyway, Ladej and Mnemo, what say you?"

dresdenphile on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    AegofAegof Registered User regular
    "We will survive or we won't," Ladej says. "If you need someone around to patch your wounds, I won't chase them away."

I'm providing ambience.
  • Options
    The construct's constituent crystals shift into a contemplative purple as some float free of its body for a time. They eventually rotate back towards Mnemo, interlocking once more in slightly different positions before it "speaks". HEALING may be beneficial- the mental image of Mnemo cracked and leaking on the ground before Ilesombra's timely rescue in the last engagement- for ALL.