Options

[Gay Rights] Scott Walker still trying to get fired.

• Options
    adytumadytum The Inevitable Rise And FallRegistered User regular
    edited April 2011
    Virginia upheld its existing law prohibiting gay couples from adopting.

Is anyone surprised?

adytum on
  • Options
    Saint MadnessSaint Madness Registered User regular
    edited April 2011
    adytum wrote: »

Is anyone surprised?

More over, the committee that made that decision has a Democratic majority.

Saint Madness on
  • Options
    Orochi_RockmanOrochi_Rockman __BANNED USERS regular
    edited April 2011
    That's pretty bad.

Tennessee is passing a bill that would make it so teachers would not be allowed to even acknowledge homosexuality in any shape form or fashion until the 10th grade. You're not allowed to even say the word.

Orochi_Rockman on
  • Options
    KalTorakKalTorak One way or another, they all end up in the Undercity.Registered User regular
    edited April 2011
    That's pretty bad.

Tennessee is passing a bill that would make it so teachers would not be allowed to even acknowledge homosexuality in any shape form or fashion until the 10th grade. You're not allowed to even say the word.

I foresee a new game amongst schoolchildren - a variation on "the penis game," in which you yell the word "GAY" as loudly as you can in a populated area, and then laugh at teachers who have to pretend you said nothing at all.

KalTorak on
  • Options
    OptimusZedOptimusZed Registered User regular
    edited April 2011
    The Tennessee Senate has done a silly thing.
    After some convoluted maneuvers, a Senate committee Wednesday approved a bill that will prohibit teachers from discussing homosexuality in kindergarten through eighth-grade classrooms.

The measure (SB49) is sponsored by Sen. Stacey Campfield, R-Knoxville, who unsuccessfully pushed the same idea - nicknamed the "don't say gay" bill - for six years as a member of the state House before he was elected to the Senate.

As introduced, the bill would have put into law a declaration that it is illegal to discuss any sexual behavior other than heterosexuality prior to the ninth grade.
    This really just seems like a way to prosecute teachers who are willing to step in and stop bullying.

OptimusZed on
    We're reading Rifts. You should too. You know you want to. Now With Ninjas!

They tried to bury us. They didn't know that we were seeds. 2018 Midterms. Get your shit together.
  • Options
    Orochi_RockmanOrochi_Rockman __BANNED USERS regular
    edited April 2011
    Ah, so its through 8th not 9th.

I find it sort of funny how it specifically says "other than heterosexuality" because, heterosexual talk itself is just so common in Elementary School classrooms. But then again maybe it is, I went to a private school that was very hush hush on anything outside the church bubble so I guess I wouldn't know.

Orochi_Rockman on
  • Options
    ElldrenElldren Is a woman dammit ceterum censeoRegistered User regular
    edited April 2011
    That's pretty bad.

This is very troubling, personally.

Elldren on
    fuck gendered marketing
  • Options
    StericaSterica Yes Registered User, Moderator mod
    edited April 2011

Is anyone surprised?
    I still see people with the bumper stick from the what, 2006, vote on gay marriage.

And Ol' McDonnell isn't going to help change things.

Sterica on
    YL9WnCY.png
  • Options
    durandal4532durandal4532 Registered User regular
    edited April 2011
    OptimusZed wrote: »
    This really just seems like a way to prosecute teachers who are willing to step in and stop bullying.
    Absolutely.

durandal4532 on
    Take a moment to donate what you can to Critical Resistance and Black Lives Matter.
  • Options
    StericaSterica Yes Registered User, Moderator mod
    edited April 2011
    The goal of the Tennessee thing is to just hide gays from kids. If kids grow up with things, they become familiar with it. If you hide homosexuality from children, it'll be this scary entity that they never really knew about. Combine with the the sexual confusion of that age (at 8th grade), and you basically prime another generation to be bigots.

Sterica on
    YL9WnCY.png
  • Options
    edited April 2011
    Rorus Raz wrote: »

Is anyone surprised?
    I still see people with the bumper stick from the what, 2006, vote on gay marriage.

Virginia had a vote on gay marriage? Was the vote for a double-ban-with-no-takebacks?

adytum on
  • Options
    Magic PinkMagic Pink Tur-Boner-Fed Registered User regular
    edited April 2011
    Jokerman wrote: »
    Magic Pink wrote: »
    It's too bad Gaga approved it. Weird Al is about as funny as a sack of rocks.

I'd hate to live your joyless existance.

I'd hate to be your mom.

Magic Pink on
  • Options
    edited April 2011
    To answer my own question, it was apparently a constitutional amendment that prohibits gay marriage or the approximation thereof with legal contracts.

I was right on all accounts. I was trying to be intentionally ridiculous and Virginia managed to out-ridiculous me.

adytum on
  • Options
    Captain CarrotCaptain Carrot Alexandria, VARegistered User regular
    edited April 2011

Is anyone surprised?

Virginia had a vote on gay marriage? Was the vote for a double-ban-with-no-takebacks?

I think it was a vote for a constitutional ban on it, which passed 3-1.

Captain Carrot on
  • Options
    BagginsesBagginses __BANNED USERS regular
    edited April 2011
    Ah, so its through 8th not 9th.

I find it sort of funny how it specifically says "other than heterosexuality" because, heterosexual talk itself is just so common in Elementary School classrooms. But then again maybe it is, I went to a private school that was very hush hush on anything outside the church bubble so I guess I wouldn't know.

I could see it becoming an issue in history and English classes at the end of the range, as marriage has long been a political tool and many of the classics focus on romance.

Bagginses on
  • Options
    MuddBuddMuddBudd Registered User regular
    edited April 2011
    Absolutely.

Oh god I didn't even think of that...

They will have absolutely no way to stop anti-gay bullying below age 10.

Christ it's a death warrant.

MuddBudd on
    There's no plan, there's no race to be run
    The harder the rain, honey, the sweeter the sun.
  • Options
    KalTorakKalTorak One way or another, they all end up in the Undercity.Registered User regular
    edited April 2011
    The goal of the Tennessee thing is to just hide gays from kids. If kids grow up with things, they become familiar with it. If you hide homosexuality from children, it'll be this scary entity that they never really knew about. Combine with the the sexual confusion of that age (at 8th grade), and you basically prime another generation to be bigots.

Not to mention a pretty thundering institutional condemnation of any kid at those schools who might be gay. So that's awesome.

KalTorak on
  • Options
    ThanatosThanatos Registered User regular
    edited April 2011
    MuddBudd wrote: »
    Absolutely.

Oh god I didn't even think of that...

They will have absolutely no way to stop anti-gay bullying below age 10.

Christ it's a death warrant.
    8th graders are 12-13.

Thanatos on
  • Options
    edited April 2011
    So this is essentially enforced, school-sanctioned anti-gay bullying legislation.

KalTorak on
  • Options
    JihadJesusJihadJesus Registered User regular
    edited April 2011
    KalTorak wrote: »
    So this is essentially enforced, school-sanctioned anti-gay bullying legislation.

Well, more state sanctioned 'lalalalalala we can't hear you what's that lalalalalala' legislation, out of terror that their beloved little spawn might come into contact with The Other before they're young enough to know they should hate it.

JihadJesus on
  • Options
    21stCentury21stCentury Call me Pixel, or Pix for short! [They/Them]Registered User regular
    edited April 2011

At the risk of being called mean names, how is that sanctioned anti-gay bullying? I don't get how it goes from "Don't talk about gays" to "actively bash gays".

21stCentury on
  • Options
    edited April 2011
    JihadJesus wrote: »

Well, more state sanctioned 'lalalalalala we can't hear you what's that lalalalalala' legislation, out of terror that their beloved little spawn might come into contact with The Other before they're young enough to know they should hate it.

Except the kids know that the Other is among them. It's that kid who can't defend himself, and now can't even go to a teacher for protection.

And now the other kids are being told to pretend that homosexuality doesn't exist. They know it does exist, but they also know it's something that has to be hidden. Therefore it's shameful, and something they can legitimately attack other kids for.

edit: 21st, this pretty much answers your question.

KalTorak on
  • Options
    MrMisterMrMister Jesus dying on the cross in pain? Morally better than us. One has to go "all in".Registered User regular
    edited April 2011
    The Tennessee Senate has done a silly thing.

I doubt that this is constitutional. Teachers have a complicated free speech situation, but this seems like a particularly flagrantly attempt to suppress a minority viewpoint through a content-based ban on speech, which is typically a no-no.

MrMister on
  • Options
    InvisibleInvisible Registered User regular
    edited April 2011
    It's so dumb. So, so dumb.

Seriously, I hate to break it to the bigot, but some of knew we were gay long before the 9th grade. It's basically the Ostrich defense. If I stick my head in the sand then it must not exist.

We need another Sherman to march and just steamroll the South again. It's just so fucking ridiculous. And people wonder why I've been depressed, suicidal and having anxiety attacks since I was 8. Even with my family, I still remember going to a sunday school thing with a friend and having the teachers tell me, after noticing a news article, that gays were going to hell (of course the jokes on them, since their son is gay, which is something I could have told them long before he went to NY to do Broadway).

Invisible on
  • Options
    21stCentury21stCentury Call me Pixel, or Pix for short! [They/Them]Registered User regular
    edited April 2011

Except the kids know that the Other is among them. It's that kid who can't defend himself, and now can't even go to a teacher for protection.

And now the other kids are being told to pretend that homosexuality doesn't exist. They know it does exist, but they also know it's something that has to be hidden. Therefore it's shameful, and something they can legitimately attack other kids for.

Again, call me naive or whatever, but this law doesn't go "If you see a kid being called "[mean names related to Homosexuality]", don't help him". This law doesn't state that you shouldn't help bullied kids. It also doesn't state you should tell kids "There's not such things as homosexuals"... Does it? It seems like it's a lot more "Let's pretend there are no gays", not "Let's punch people who are gay and pretend we didn't do anything wrong".

i mean, wouldn't telling kids that there's no such thing as gays violate that law?

Edit: Not saying the law is remotely good, just... It doesn't seem as bad as you make it seem.

21stCentury on
  • Options
    edited April 2011
    It creates a taboo that teachers aren't allowed to address. That has two effects; first, it implicitly tells gay kids that they are inherently damaged and should be ashamed. Second, it tells the other kids that gay kids are inherently damaged and should be ashamed. So if a kid decides to bully a kid he perceives as gay, instead of the law telling him not to, the law is telling him that yes, that kid is inferior and deserves to be punished.

The fact that teachers can't address it just cements the issue. After a kid has been bullied for being gay, who can he go to? If he tells the teachers he was being bullied and called "faggot," can the teacher even acknowledge that? The teacher sure as shit can't tell him it's OK to be gay.

Enforcing anti-bullying rules is hard enough as it is; putting ridiculous roadblocks on teachers this way just lets more bullies get away with it.

KalTorak on
  • Options
    DirtyDirtyVagrantDirtyDirtyVagrant Registered User regular
    edited April 2011
    That is all kinds of fucked up, and now I am angry.

DirtyDirtyVagrant on
  • Options
    edited April 2011
    For something on the good news side at least, Majority of Americans Now Support Legal Recognition of Gay Marriage

Got a long way to go, but that's a step.

KalTorak on
  • Options
    edited April 2011
    Yeah, it really seems like an attempt to pretend there are no gay people. Which, you know, is basically telling gay kids that they shouldn't exist.

Which is pretty fucked up.

JihadJesus on
  • Options
    DaMoonRulzDaMoonRulz Mare ImbriumRegistered User regular
    edited April 2011
    It creates a taboo that teachers aren't allowed to address. That has two effects; first, it implicitly tells gay kids that they are inherently damaged and should be ashamed. Second, it tells the other kids that gay kids are inherently damaged and should be ashamed. So if a kid decides to bully a kid he perceives as gay, instead of the law telling him not to, the law is telling him that yes, that kid is inferior and deserves to be punished.

The fact that teachers can't address it just cements the issue. After a kid has been bullied for being gay, who can he go to? If he tells the teachers he was being bullied and called "faggot," can the teacher even acknowledge that? The teacher sure as shit can't tell him it's OK to be gay.

Enforcing anti-bullying rules is hard enough as it is; putting ridiculous roadblocks on teachers this way just lets more bullies get away with it.

Then couldn't the teacher say "I will address the situation" and then discipline the bully for inappropriate language or whatever the hell else is in the student handbook.

DaMoonRulz on
    3basnids3lf9.jpg

• Options
    edited April 2011

Again, call me naive or whatever, but this law doesn't go "If you see a kid being called "[mean names related to Homosexuality]", don't help him". This law doesn't state that you shouldn't help bullied kids. It also doesn't state you should tell kids "There's not such things as homosexuals"... Does it? It seems like it's a lot more "Let's pretend there are no gays", not "Let's punch people who are gay and pretend we didn't do anything wrong".

i mean, wouldn't telling kids that there's no such thing as gays violate that law?

Edit: Not saying the law is remotely good, just... It doesn't seem as bad as you make it seem.
    But now if Billy is being bullied by the other kids and they're calling him "gay" or "fag" or whatever words their little 11 year old brains have picked up that they know are bad but don't have any context for the teacher can't break it up and explain to them that they shouldn't be calling other people bad names.

Because acknowledging that "fag" is a bad word requires the understanding context of homosexuality and its treatment, and this law means they can be prosecuted/lose their job over even acknowledging that context.

And all it takes is one of the little bigots in training to head home and blab to a parent to cost that teacher their position and probably their ability to teach in that state. Because parents/bigots WILL pursue this legally.

OptimusZed on

They tried to bury us. They didn't know that we were seeds. 2018 Midterms. Get your shit together.
  • Options
    DaMoonRulzDaMoonRulz Mare ImbriumRegistered User regular
    edited April 2011

But now if Billy is being bullied by the other kids and they're calling him "gay" or "fag" or whatever words their little 11 year old brains have picked up that they know are bad but don't have any context for the teacher can't break it up and explain to them that they shouldn't be calling other people bad names.

Because acknowledging that "fag" is a bad word requires the understanding context of homosexuality and its treatment, and this law means they can be prosecuted/lose their job over even acknowledging that context.

And all it takes is one of the little bigots in training to head home and blab to a parent to cost that teacher their position and probably their ability to teach in that state. Because parents/bigots WILL pursue this legally.

Or the teacher could just say "Because." You seriously never got that growing up?

DaMoonRulz on
    3basnids3lf9.jpg

• Options
    edited April 2011
    DaMoonRulz wrote: »

Or the teacher could just say "Because." You seriously never got that growing up?
    Only from shitty teachers who weren't doing their job. Especially at a grade school level.

You can't discipline without context and have it matter, not at that age.

Besides, this law means that treating "fag" as a bad word in the first place is off the table. You can't discipline kids for gay bashing other kids.

OptimusZed on

• Options
    enlightenedbumenlightenedbum Registered User regular
    edited April 2011
    For something on the good news side at least, Majority of Americans Now Support Legal Recognition of Gay Marriage

Got a long way to go, but that's a step.

Yay inevitability!

enlightenedbum on
    Self-righteousness is incompatible with coalition building.
  • Options
    edited April 2011
    "Shouldn't say what word? What word can't we say?"

KalTorak on
  • Options
    edited April 2011
    Campfield_232x350.jpg
    Stacey Campfield
    sen.stacey.campfield@capitol.tn.gov
    Nashville Address
    4 Legislative Plaza
    Nashville, TN 37243
    Phone: (615) 741-1766
    Staff Contact: Bryan Dodson

A little background on the dumb ass:
    http://www.metropulse.com/news/2010/sep/29/what-heck-wrong-stacey-campfield/
    But the eye rolls and head shakes and sighs come from the things Campfield has actually done since taking office as a state representative in 2005. He has tried to join the legislative Black Caucus. He has pushed for bills to issue death certificates for aborted fetuses, and to force women to look at fetal ultrasound images before having an abortion. He has lobbied for the right of both faculty and students to bring guns onto college campuses. He has proposed a range of legislation on things like child support, orders of protection, and sexual-abuse allegations, that, as a Nashville Scene blogger put it a few weeks ago, seem to derive from a sense “that women are crazy lying bitches men need protecting from.” He is bothered by the existence of gay-straight student alliances, and he is passionate about a bill that would forbid any discussion of homosexuality in elementary or middle schools. He wants to eliminate the state’s pre-kindergarten education programs.

And, yes, there was that whole thing with the wrestling mask at the UT football game.

In short, he has often seemed more like a performer than a legislator, the political equivalent of a pro wrestler. It’s an impression that was only enhanced earlier this year when he willingly appeared on a segment of the Penn and Teller cable show Bullshit!, which mocked his don’t-say-gay education bill and called Campfield “a professional bully” and “an asshole.” Campfield, apparently convinced he’d gotten the better of the encounter, posted a clip from the episode on his blog.

A few Stacey Campfield facts: He is not from around here. He grew up in Binghamton, N.Y., and went to college further upstate at St. John Fisher College, a small Catholic school in Rochester. His parents still live in New York. Apart from his legislative salary, he makes his living primarily as a landlord, renting out 15 properties around Knoxville.

Invisible on
  • Options
    edited April 2011
    Invisible wrote: »
    ...Apart from his legislative salary, he makes his living primarily as a landlord, renting out 15 properties around Knoxville.
    I'll put a $10 bet down on 'slumlord', and I've got another $10 that says at least one of his tenants gets some kind of tax funded subsidy voucher for their unit.

JihadJesus on
  • Options
    edited April 2011

Pursue what legally? The right of their kid to bully other kids? I understand that "Don't say gay" facilitates the "othering" of gays, but I kinda fail to see how it inevitably leads to people condoning and practicing gay-bashing in schools.

You're making it sound like a teacher who catches two kids throwing stone at a third kid can't do anything as soon as they say "The G word" or "The F Word", like that law has such a ridiculous loophole.

The way some of you make it seem, that law forces teachers to point at some kids and say "This kid doesn't exist, you can bully him because i can't legally care anymore". The effect that law will have is a lot more insidious, but really a lot more subtle. it's not a "pretend gay people don't exist" (By which i mean, it's not like the law forces teachers to pretend some people don't exist) as much as it's a "don't talk about homosexuality" (Which would imply the teachers pretend a certain behavior doesn't exist.)

I mean, that law is great. It would work really well in letting parents imprint their children with the same prejudice they have about the LGBT community by making it a lot more shocking when they first meet one of those dreaded "gays". I just don't buy the theory that this is a "Enact Gay Bashing in all schools" law.

21stCentury on
  • Options
    BagginsesBagginses __BANNED USERS regular
    edited April 2011

At the risk of being called mean names, how is that sanctioned anti-gay bullying? I don't get how it goes from "Don't talk about gays" to "actively bash gays".

It says that teachers can't talk about gays, which could be interpreted as making gays the only group that teachers aren't allowed to discourage the bullying of.

Bagginses on
  • Options
    edited April 2011
    The biggest bullying issue I could see arise from this is that bigoted teachers could use it as an excuse after-the-fact. Well, I would have stopped them from harassing little Billy, but I didn't want to get in trouble for saying "gay" or bring up homosexuality. And similarly it could be applied in the reverse, where a teacher does step in and the bully's family tries to get the teacher removed for saying such words.

And ignoring those things, I'd still say it has a profound affect on bullying. This bill makes being gay to be a bad thing, an unwanted thing and gives tacit approval to victimize them because they're not real people anyways (especially with the direct mention that only heterosexuality be mentioned).

Invisible on
This discussion has been closed.