As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Tim Schafer's [DÜDLE] Legend

• Options
    desperaterobotsdesperaterobots perth, ausRegistered User regular
    This is the first time ive painted with house paints, it was easier than I expected! This was live painting at a street festival on the weekend, I got horribly sunburned. Nobody bought anything either! Hooray!

483edd31.jpg

41ae54ba.jpg

2c07fe63.jpg

d2d5427c.jpg

d6127ae2.jpg

• Options
    ninjaininjai Registered User regular
    Jealous, wish I could see in person

• Options
    Nineteen HundredNineteen Hundred Registered User regular
    hw_landsc_snow_3.jpg

Final on the landscape. Only put a half-hearted hour into it since I last posted. Aware of the composition problems. Next time, I'll put a little more thought into it besides "start painting, see what happens."

There was something important here. It's gone now.
  • Options
    GolemGolem of Sand Saint Joseph, MORegistered User regular
    edited March 2012
    So yeah, just fired up my tablet for the first time...Its kind of embarrassing to post this stuff after comparing it to the other work in the thread.

th_firsttime.png

th_second.png

Golem on
  • Options
    melting_dollmelting_doll Registered User regular
    d'omg bacon. THAT PUPPYY

And man, Fug, I love your stuff. All of it. All of your stuff!

• Options
    Square.png did some more doodling.

• Options
    brokecrackerbrokecracker Registered User regular
    This is the first time ive painted with house paints, it was easier than I expected! This was live painting at a street festival on the weekend, I got horribly sunburned. Nobody bought anything either! Hooray!

Well. They are all fools.

• Options
    Arden CaneloArden Canelo Registered User regular
    Hey drobots - just out of curiosity - what did you see that sold at the festival? Your art is strange and wonderful as always as well. :^:

• Options
    FANTOMASFANTOMAS Flan ArgentavisRegistered User regular
    Golem wrote: »
    Square.png did some more doodling.

Work on the anatomy, one of the legs looks a bit out of perspective.

PS: now for real, it looks half-assed, you have some faces up there in the same page that show you can do much better. Dont stare at me, get drawing.

Yes, with a quick verbal "boom." You take a man's peko, you deny him his dab, all that is left is to rise up and tear down the walls of Jericho with a ".....not!" -TexiKen
  • Options
    edited March 2012
    FANTOMAS wrote: »
    snip

Yeah, I appreciate the advice man. They suck hard even compared to my pencil drawings. But your right, I've been trying to put off anatomy studies for awhile. Suppose its time I get to it! XD

Golem on
  • Options
    FANTOMASFANTOMAS Flan ArgentavisRegistered User regular
    edited March 2012
    avispa.jpg

Uploaded with ImageShack.us

Ive been drawing some bugs lately... anyone else feels theres a connection between insects and ink drawings ?

Edit: to fit another doodle without making consecutive posts.
    pupo3.jpg

Uploaded with ImageShack.us

FANTOMAS on
    Yes, with a quick verbal "boom." You take a man's peko, you deny him his dab, all that is left is to rise up and tear down the walls of Jericho with a ".....not!" -TexiKen
  • Options
    another terrible study...I swear this tablet will learn to be used well! Day 2 of tablet use!

hands.png

Please advise and critic :)

• Options
    Start working in and studying value. It'll help you understand form and shape, which will translate into your linework.

• Options
    Angel_of_BaconAngel_of_Bacon Moderator mod
    Also you might want to turn on pressure sensitivity in your brush settings.

• Options
    ScadillaScadilla Hates shaving Registered User regular
    Damn, you people are talented. How many of you have art related jobs?

• Options
    Also you might want to turn on pressure sensitivity in your brush settings.
    was asking about that in the help thread. xD didn't get a response. What options do I go into to mess with that? because I'm good with monochrome pencil wouldn't mind being able to draw like I do with pencil

• Options
    this is just me playing around with my sensitivity settings on my new tablet.

th_teacup.png
    th_facetest.png

• Options
    More homework:

heads_1.jpgheads_2.jpg

• Options
    tynictynic PICNIC BADASS Registered User, ClubPA regular
    hey waitaminute ...

Some of these are really nicely done. How large are you drawing? If it's as small as it looks then I'm impressed with the level of detail you've managed.

• Options
    Thanks! They're a bit larger on paper. Dirk Gently there on the upper left page has a two-inch head.

• Options
    melting_dollmelting_doll Registered User regular
    My friends were debating whether or not YA books like Hunger Games were any good. I didn't really know or care much about it so I drew amnimals instead!

amnimals.jpg

• Options
    squaresquare Cockbutt TurinRegistered User regular
    edited March 2012
    animals.jpg

There is no mrs. cow in there :(

square on
    Mm9Qsm4.png
  • Options
    squidbunnysquidbunny Registered User regular
    Sketching some architectural features for a rustic brothel. Wasn't feeling it and then I pulled in some textures and went a little overboard.

hI5GW.png

header_image_sm.jpg
  • Options
    EinEin CaliforniaRegistered User regular
    edited March 2012
    Hi doodle thread. I need help and am about to make a long spergy post about it. Big images in spoilers.

I'm working on a thing in Minecraft and I'm totally stuck. My server's got a lot of worlds, each with its own superbuild projects on them. I wanted to create a realm that would function as sort of World Lobby where players would spawn and have easy access to portals to each ancillary world. I brainstormed a little bit about what I wanted, and I came up with the general concept of having a gigantic Atlas-esque titan holding a continent aloft over his head, and putting the gateways to the worlds up on it. After a little while, this idea developed to include Atlas inside a giant oceanic bowl - I'll get to why in a minute.

Anyway, I started off by making Atlas, which was not actually as bad as it sounds.

z9QDAl.jpg

Then I started making the continent for him to hold. Also, not as bad as it sounds, since there are a lot of good terrain editing tools for Minecraft.
    YlCMyl.jpg

The reason I put him in a bowl to begin with was twofold:
    • I planned on making some sort of bridges from the landmass he's holding to peripheral islands around the rim of the bowl, which would serve as extra places to put portals to worlds if I ever run out or need to expand.
    • I wanted the players to see Atlas after I put so much work into building him, so I figured first-time players on the server would spawn on one of the aforementioned peripheral islands and walk out from the rim of the bowl to the central landmass. By starting them out there and making them traverse this, I know that they get the full effect of "there's a big dude and an even bigger bowl!"
    Then I came to the point where I had to build the stuff that goes on top of the continent, and my brain hit a brick wall and came to a screeching halt. This is where I need help.

I know I'm after the following general visual motifs:
    • Ancient overgrown ruins, almost like an old city. I'm thinking sort've romanesque in appearance. I would try and integrate the gateway portals as best I could into the city's layout.
    • A bigass tree in the middle. Two reasons for this. The first is to serve as a focal point on the center of the landmass, because I think that's required. The second is because I think the root systems of the thing could provide a really interesting building opportunity. I want to have the roots from this tree sprawl all over the continent, over and through the ruins, and even hanging from the underneath of the continent. I did this once on my old Laputa project and it made for some really fucking cool interior spaces where the roots had basically taken over:
      o087Tl.jpg

The main problem I'm having is how to lay everything out, so I was hoping I'd get some advice or recommendations on the overall 'level design', as it were.

The only thing I've found in my digging for concept art and doodles that has felt really 'right' so far has been this image:
    13fJUl.jpg

I like the idea of having those arched bridges out to the peripheral islands, and having the base of the arches just crumble into nothing as they cross the gap between continent and rim of the bowl. However, the stuff in the central island just feels too nonspecific for me to take any queues from it while building, which has lead to me getting frustrated with this a bit. I tried doing my own rough layout doodle of things, but I am no artist...
    Ydx78l.png

... and I kept running into the same problem. The moment I had to start figuring shit out on that main continent, my brain just kind've stopped. I got as far as 'Big tree ontop of circular ruin's roof' before it ground to a halt, but that's only been marginally helpful. I kind've like having the huge aqueducts to channel water out to (and over) the edges. I've also taken a shot at building a tree, and I can adjust the roots all over the place as I need to:
    oSwTsl.jpg

What I'm hoping for, ultimately, is someone to pitch ideas or preferably doodles at me for things I could try doing on top of this godforsaken continent, since I feel stuck. I need something cool to kick-start me and get me going again. I have this continent render that I just made that I'm going to start drawing on, to see if it helps things.
    vSVsxl.jpg

tl;dr: I need to make awesome overgrown ruins and can't figure out how to lay them out on that landmass and feel stuck.

Ein on
  • Options
    victravictra Registered User regular
    some works in progress 6860850960_4af16723fc.jpg7006966485_508da323dc_z.jpg

• Options
    edited March 2012
    speedy
    pyramid.jpg

@MD: Pay attention to fewer conversations, draw more puppies instead. :o

Angel_of_Bacon on
  • Options
    NakedZerglingNakedZergling A more apocalyptic post apocalypse Portland OregonRegistered User regular
    Gah Bacon!! That color is so awesome.

• Options
    F87F87 So Say We All Registered User regular
    Victra with Bacon :) mmmm

Ein - I'm impressed with the amount of planning you are doing for your build! Sounds really cool

• Options
    nakirushnakirush Registered User regular
    heslochiss.jpg

• Options
    NicNic Registered User regular
    edited March 2012
    Ten minute rough sketch, toned with an ice blue copic marker. I dunno if I really had a plan here other than to try out the toning technique. I should have done a pencil sketch because the forms are incorrect, the face has like multiple perspectives and the head looks flat overall, but I like the toning effect, and feel like I could do things with it with a bit more practice on understanding lighting and form.
    scan0069-1.jpg

These were just done in MS Paint while looking at posemaniacs.com. I'm still trying to understand how the figure is constructed with loomis and hogarth as my guide. Past the torso it's really challenging for me to 'hang' the arms and legs, so I'm trying to gain an understanding of weight distribution.
    figuresketches3sm.png

Nic on
  • Options
    Wilhelm_IIIWilhelm_III Registered User regular
    Mr. Bacon, sir, your understanding of colour theory is too good :P
    Also posmaniacs ftw.
    Here be a sketch in me notepad yarrr! (Pirate voice??)
    IMG_0913_small.jpg

Sorry for poor quality, scanner is acting up so it was taken with my crummy iPhone 3GS camera :\

• Options
    warming up with some line work

pyramids.png

• Options
    sharky tsharky t LondonRegistered User regular
    edited March 2012
    tumblr_m1f0q93hVF1qbiru9o1_500.jpg

i know the lighting makes no sense but this was fun.

sharky t on
  • Options
    NicNic Registered User regular
    Kinda looks like he's been stabbed through the back with his own sword and it's coming through at about his diaphragm, but I definitely like the face and the trees in the background are neat.

• Options
    m3nacem3nace Registered User regular
    Trying to acid up my colors. No ref used.
    coloring_practice_by_emir0-d4tzmr3.png

• Options
    Wilhelm_IIIWilhelm_III Registered User regular
    I like the way that's going m3nace, really gives a sense of transition from open fields to a darker forest with a thicker canopy. The colours are also nice and fantastical, I'd love to see this worked on more!

• Options
    edited March 2012
    Someday, I'm gonna do some work that isn't for school. For tomorrow. The idea is a tongue in cheek ad for one of ME3's guns. Oversexualization is intentional. Any glaring issues?

poster_asari_lines.jpgposter_asari_3_prog_01.jpg

Also, this is 13x19 at 300dpi. Why didn't anyone tell me that working huge is so much easier?

Nineteen Hundred on
  • Options
    That's an awfully long distance between the base of the leg and the pelvic ridge- you should probably just photochop the legs up and over to start along that ridge, instead of 5 inches below. Remember, the origins of the thigh muscles lie on the pelvis; as you've got it now, there's no bone there for the muscles to attach to.

• Options
    ScosglenScosglen Registered User regular
    edited March 2012
    The anatomy really needs some extra love before you move forward on that. The most egregious areas seem to be in the hips, and the perspective on the head.

I also feel, compositionally, she's a little cramped over on the right edge of the frame. I would personally go with either a slightly wider crop or reposition her slightly within the frame.

Scosglen on
  • Options
    edited March 2012
    poster_asari_3_pro_03.jpg

Better?

Nineteen Hundred on
This discussion has been closed.