As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[Hawken] Open Beta is now live

• Options
    HozHoz Cool Cat Registered User regular
    edited April 2011
    Even for an Unreal 3 engine game those are some bad pop ins in the first video. I mean, all he's doing is moving slowly with the spectator camera and shit is just popping in 20 yards away.

Obviously, other developers have shown that this issue can be dealt with so hopefully they can resolve that. But if they don't, I don't give a shit how good a game looks if textures are popping in consistently right before my eyes then those awesome visuals mean nothing to me.

Hoz on
  • Options
    Nimble CatNimble Cat Registered User regular
    edited April 2011
    This looks sweet.

Nimble Cat on
  • Options
    DartboyDartboy Registered User regular
    edited April 2011
    Yeah, this looks pretty damn awesome, and while it may not be super sim-like, more mech games are never a bad thing.

Hopefully it'll have more arenas and stuff to do than Phantom Crash. That was the one weakness of that game, they must have spent the budget that would have gone to making more than like 5 levels on the soundtrack. Seriously there was like a hundred songs, but nowhere to play them all.

Dartboy on
  • Options
    KelorKelor Registered User regular
    edited April 2011
    Exteel is the closest thing to a Mech fix that I've had in a while, but there aren't any Australian servers for it so it's basically unplayable.
    Dyvion wrote: »
    Kelor wrote: »
    Afterall everyone knows how many legs there are on a Warhammer.

Fixed that for you.

What does Robotech have to do with it?

Kelor on
  • Options
    Lord_AsmodeusLord_Asmodeus goeticSobriquet: Here is your magical cryptic riddle-tumour: I AM A TIME MACHINERegistered User regular
    edited April 2011
    Dartboy wrote: »
    Yeah, this looks pretty damn awesome, and while it may not be super sim-like, more mech games are never a bad thing.

Hopefully it'll have more arenas and stuff to do than Phantom Crash. That was the one weakness of that game, they must have spent the budget that would have gone to making more than like 5 levels on the soundtrack. Seriously there was like a hundred songs, but nowhere to play them all.

Pffft only a hundred?

They had way more than a hundred.

And one of those songs was a JAPANESE TECHNO SONG WITH A SCREAMING MONKEY.

That game was is so great.

Lord_Asmodeus on
    Capital is only the fruit of labor, and could never have existed if Labor had not first existed. Labor is superior to capital, and deserves much the higher consideration. - Lincoln
  • Options
    MegaMekMegaMek Girls like girls. Registered User regular
    edited April 2011
    God, I had forgotten about Phantom Crash. My brother and I would play that game together all the time.

MegaMek on
    Is time a gift or punishment?
  • Options
    OlivawOlivaw good name, isn't it? the foot of mt fujiRegistered User regular
    edited April 2011
    Hoz wrote: »
    Even for an Unreal 3 engine game those are some bad pop ins in the first video. I mean, all he's doing is moving slowly with the spectator camera and shit is just popping in 20 yards away.

Obviously, other developers have shown that this issue can be dealt with so hopefully they can resolve that. But if they don't, I don't give a shit how good a game looks if textures are popping in consistently right before my eyes then those awesome visuals mean nothing to me.

I have never given much of a shit about texture pop-in unless it doesn't bother to pop-in the high res textures in a goodly amount of time

So the pop-in in the video didn't really bother me too much

Olivaw on
    signature-deffo.jpg
    PSN ID : DetectiveOlivaw | TWITTER | STEAM ID | NEVER FORGET
  • Options
    DyvionDyvion Back in Sunny Florida!!Registered User regular
    edited April 2011
    Afterall everyone knows how many legs there are on a Warhammer.

Fixed that for you.

What does Robotech have to do with it?

Blasphemer!

Dyvion on
    Steam: No Safety In Life
    PSN: Dyvion -- Eternal: Dyvion+9393 -- Genshin Impact: Dyvion
  • Options
    DrakeDrake Edgelord Trash Below the ecliptic plane.Registered User regular
    edited April 2011
    There may have been only five levels in Phantom Crash, but they were totally awesome levels with all kinds of crazy vertical action, circulation and cool little pockets for awesome fights. Throw in all of the customization and wealth of opponents and I never felt like it was really lacking.

That's what the Hawken videos displayed that reminded me of Phantom Crash, actually. The vertical action and maneuverability of the mechs makes for some exciting stuff.

I'm definitely watching this game.

Drake on
  • Options
    DartboyDartboy Registered User regular
    edited April 2011
    Afterall everyone knows how many legs there are on a Tomahawk.

Fixed that for you.

What does Macross have to do with it?

Dartboy on
  • Options
    OlivawOlivaw good name, isn't it? the foot of mt fujiRegistered User regular
    edited April 2011
    Dartboy wrote: »
    Afterall everyone knows how many legs there are on a Tomahawk.

Fixed that for you.

What has love got to do, got to do with it?

Olivaw on
    signature-deffo.jpg
    PSN ID : DetectiveOlivaw | TWITTER | STEAM ID | NEVER FORGET
  • Options
    RenzoRenzo Registered User regular
    edited April 2011
    I know what this reminds me of: Phantom Dust

Renzo on
  • Options
    KelorKelor Registered User regular
    edited April 2011
    Now you've gone and ruined the joke.

The original show will always be Robotech in my heart.

Kelor on
  • Options
    El GuacoEl Guaco Registered User regular
    edited April 2011
    Suriko wrote: »
    So we now have some more information on this.

http://au.pc.ign.com/articles/115/1158817p1.html
    >No auto-regen health. You gotta shutdown your mech in some dark corner and hope nobody spots you while you're fixing it.
    >No area-specific damage.
    >3 main types of mechs: Light, heavy, medium.
    >Customization includes Weapon loadout, and an upgrade system you can freely distribute a limited number of points in. (I guess like in the old Tony Hawk games?)
    >No stat-based gear. Everybody starts out with a bunch of available gear, and it's up to them to decide how to customize their mech.
    >Mechs will show more damage the closer they are to death. (Not included in the gameplay video, but they plan to add it)
    >"Unique team modes", which will require several "roles" of mechs to win.
    >There will be a focus on visual costumization of the mechs as well.

WANT. SO FUCKING BADLY. OH GOD.

Nice. I put the link in the OP.

El Guaco on
  • Options
    El GuacoEl Guaco Registered User regular
    edited April 2011
    I also linked a couple of older interviews from March (how did I miss those?).

http://www.pcgamer.com/2011/03/11/hawken-interview-the-indie-team-behind-the-best-mech-game-weve-seen/

http://kotaku.com/#!5780912/nine-guys-giant-mechs-and-2011s-sexiest-indie-game

Probably the most interesting tidbit is that this is going to be multiplayer only.
    Hawken is a multiplayer shooter. That's it. "We would have liked to expand to singleplayer, but our goal was to have a small team and finish it in a short amount of time. Singleplayer missions and campaigns are very intensive and require a much larger team to do properly. Sure, we could just slap in some mechs and singleplayer missions but I wouldn't want to have a crappy singleplayer campaign."

As for the multiplayer modes, Hawken will include "two unique team game modes", along with both team deathmatch and a free-for-all deathmatch. Le says that, time/resource permitting, they'd also like to include a co-op Horde mode.

El Guaco on
  • Options
    Lord_AsmodeusLord_Asmodeus goeticSobriquet: Here is your magical cryptic riddle-tumour: I AM A TIME MACHINERegistered User regular
    edited April 2011
    The worst looking thing is the smoke from the vents, and it still looks great. It also reminds me of Metal Fatigue so it's super nostalgic and I don't mind.

Lord_Asmodeus on
    Capital is only the fruit of labor, and could never have existed if Labor had not first existed. Labor is superior to capital, and deserves much the higher consideration. - Lincoln
  • Options
    CantidoCantido Registered User regular
    edited April 2011
    Cantido on
    3DS Friendcode 5413-1311-3767
  • Options
    SkabSkab Registered User regular
    edited April 2011
    Megas XLR was such an awesome show.

Giant robots and an amazing soundtrack to boot!

Skab on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    ObiFettObiFett Use the Force As You WishRegistered User regular
    edited April 2011
    Renzo wrote: »
    I know what this reminds me of: Phantom Dust

Someone needs to make a sequel to that game. now

ObiFett on
  • Options
    TIFunkaliciousTIFunkalicious Kicking back in NebraskaRegistered User regular
    edited April 2011
    Have to wait till 5 till i can actually hear the videos, posts about the epic sounds tease me every step of the way

TIFunkalicious on
  • Options
    MuridenMuriden Registered User regular
    edited April 2011
    Looks pretty awesome.

Muriden on
    MrGulio.332 - Lover of fine Cheeses. Replays
    301787-1.png
  • Options
    ArcticLancerArcticLancer Best served chilled. Registered User regular
    edited April 2011
    Threat-marking, for great justice!
    Must follow this one.

ArcticLancer on
  • Options
    Hiryu02Hiryu02 Registered User regular
    edited April 2011
    I wonder how far along the game is, as this is looking very good.

I have Phantom Crash just because I keep promising myself I will rip all the music out of that game some day.

Hiryu02 on
    Sev: Your gameplay is the most heavily yomi based around. Usually you look for characters that allow you to force guessing situations for big dmg. Even if the guess is mathematically nowhere near in your favor lol. You're happiest when you have either a 50/50, 33/33/33 or even a 75/25 situation to go crazy with. And you will take big risks to force those situations to come up.
  • Options
    edited April 2011
    Hiryu02 wrote: »
    I wonder how far along the game is, as this is looking very good.

I have Phantom Crash just because I keep promising myself I will rip all the music out of that game some day.

I believe the gameplay is pre-alpha footage. I would pay monies to play it as is, let alone when it comes out :D

Lord_Asmodeus on
  • Options
    Chadzilla1983Chadzilla1983 Registered User regular
    edited April 2011
    This REALLY looks great, I just hope it does not have a crappy "overheating" type of weapon system. I dont mind that as long as its done well.

Chadzilla1983 on
    XBOX Live GT: Chadzilla1983
  • Options
    edited April 2011
    This REALLY looks great, I just hope it does not have a crappy "overheating" type of weapon system. I dont mind that as long as its done well.

According to the gameplay footage, there is an overheating system. If you watch the video, the two cables on the left and right sides of the cockpit with green/red, is the overheat gauge, at least I believe so.

Lord_Asmodeus on
  • Options
    DyvionDyvion Back in Sunny Florida!!Registered User regular
    edited April 2011

According to the gameplay footage, there is an overheating system. If you watch the video, the two cables on the left and right sides of the cockpit with green/red, is the overheat gauge, at least I believe so.

There has to be some kind of limiting mechanism for firing your weapons. Projectile weapons and Missiles have ammo/reload, but lasers don't have these natural limitations. If you didn't have heat buildup you would have people stacking lasers and firing them every time they became available. With heat buildup they can make the individual shots more powerful, so you can get 3 or 4 salvos off before having to wait for the heat buildup to disipate.

Of course I don't know what any of the actual weapons/cooldown times/reload times etc. are in the game, I'm just throwing out examples from my experiences with Battletech simulations.

e: Or are you just tired of it always being 'heat' and want it to be called something else?

Dyvion on
    Steam: No Safety In Life
    PSN: Dyvion -- Eternal: Dyvion+9393 -- Genshin Impact: Dyvion
  • Options
    edited April 2011
    Here's what everything is near as I can figure, don't know what the ?????? is obviously (maybe armor). The slug throwers and missiles/rockets all seem to run on an overheat system rather than ammunition.
    2rzfh1u.png

Lord_Asmodeus on
  • Options
    The Dude With HerpesThe Dude With Herpes Lehi, UTRegistered User regular
    edited April 2011
    I've never been into mech games too much, but this looks friggin amazing.

Is it going to be arena multiplayer only or will it have a campaign or maybe some sort of world persistance where you can take land and whatnot?

I could probably find these answers but I'm lazy.

Most of my mech game experience was in one of the Mechwarrior games, probably 4, just loading up as many weapons as I could and seeing if I could blow myself up in one barrage. Tactical I was not.

The Dude With Herpes on
    Steam: Galedrid - XBL: Galedrid - PSN: Galedrid
    Origin: Galedrid - Nintendo: Galedrid/3222-6858-1045
    Blizzard: Galedrid#1367 - FFXIV: Galedrid Kingshand

• Options
    edited April 2011
    It is multiplayer only, there is a free for all deathmatch, team deathmatch, and 2 unannounced unique game modes.

Lord_Asmodeus on
  • Options
    tofutofu Registered User regular
    edited April 2011
    The trailer looks cool, but I doubt this game ever takes off unfortunately

Too many multiplayer indie games go the way of the dodo when they can't sustain server populations

tofu on
  • Options
    edited April 2011
    You shut your filthy mouth! :x

This game will come out and it will be awesome and you'll all see! YOU'LL ALL SEEEE!

Lord_Asmodeus on
  • Options
    FanaticalistFanaticalist Registered User regular
    edited April 2011
    Looks reasonably awesome, but it's just a hair too zippy for that true Mechwarrior "feel". Still, until I can take my Grasshopper to Galatea, gather a unit of mercenaries, and trade armor patches for cigarettes, I'll take what I can get.

Kinda makes me lament the failures of Chromehounds that much more.

Thanks for bringing this to our attention!

Fanaticalist on
  • Options
    tofutofu Registered User regular
    edited April 2011

This game will come out and it will be awesome and you'll all see! YOU'LL ALL SEEEE!

Kind of like Shattered Horizons

:(

tofu on
  • Options
    edited April 2011
    Dude I am trying to set up a Battletech night with my tabletop friends JUST because i saw the gameplay preview for this game

When did mechs stop being cool? Or maybe they're like the cool ones who let you go because they know you'll come crawling back

TIFunkalicious on
  • Options
    BlueDestinyBlueDestiny Registered User regular
    edited April 2011
    Mechs seem to have gone out of vogue because A)Battletech has such astoundingly retarded licensing issues it drains the very soul of mech-oriented devs and B)A lot of the newer mech games totally blow because they tried to cash in on giant robots with nothing to back it up.

BlueDestiny on
  • Options
    MegaMekMegaMek Girls like girls. Registered User regular
    edited April 2011
    tofu wrote: »

Kind of like Shattered Horizons

:(

Aww man, now I'm all sad too :(

Seriously, that was a fantastic game.

MegaMek on
    Is time a gift or punishment?
  • Options
    edited April 2011
    Im just glad an idea I like is being adapted into

)A competitive multiplayer game, which I love

instead of

)A bad mmo, which makes me sad

TIFunkalicious on
  • Options
    Delta AssaultDelta Assault Registered User regular
    edited April 2011
    and B)A lot of the newer mech games totally blow because they tried to cash in on giant robots with nothing to back it up.

Yeah, absolutely. In fact, it's not just newer mech games. That was the reason why EarthSiege 1 and 2 always failed against MechWarrior, because the universe of EarthSiege (and later Starsiege) was piss poor. Commercially, I mean. Some people I think might've preferred ES's gameplay and whatnot, but they sold nowhere near as well as MechWarrior 2 and Mercenaries. Nobody gave a rat's ass about what was going on in EarthSiege. I think the general story was something about mankind creating artificial intelligence and they went berzerk as all AI in scifi are want to do, and mankind has to try to fight back? Very very generic science fiction bullshit. Mankind fighting their rebellous artificial intelligence... it's a widely used trope. There's nothing there. And sure, the HERCs looked somewhat cool, but they weren't nearly as cool as the BattleMechs in MechWarrior.

MechWarrior had the entire lore of the BattleTech universe behind it. And this, even more than the great gameplay and music and graphics, was what made the MechWarrior games stand out as one of the premier franchises on the PC. People just couldn't get enough of the BattleTech universe and all the glorious Mechs. I myself started out just going to game stores and picking up the technical readouts. Those are the really wide books with numbers like "3025" or "3050" proudly displayed on the side. See, those were the years that the readouts covered. The entire universe spanned about a millenium's worth of fiction and backstory and characters. After I'd collected all the technical readouts and poured over them, lovingly reading over the development history and design characteristics of each and every Mech design, well... hey, now it's time to move on and start collecting all the sourcebooks. If you don't know, sourcebooks are those books full of the lore and battles and historical summaries in the universe. They also generally contain a few sections in the back devoted to the actual pen and paper mechanics and stats for the tabletop game, but that's not really the draw. The reason to own the books is for the fluff, or background lore which fills out the fiction.

Delta Assault on
  • Options
    ElitistbElitistb Registered User regular
    edited April 2011
    Mechwarrior has lore? I just liked it better than earthsiege because of the mech designs, and how they felt they actually had weight.

This game looks, to be frank, a lot like the newer Armored Core games (why do people keep saying they haven't seen a mech game in 10 years?) with more retro visuals: non-positional damage, basically a left/right weapon system, spend a lot of time flying around, etc. Another comparison would be that Front Mission game that came out last year.

In short, you're in a mech, but it doesn't really feel "mechy" to me, I guess.

Elitistb on
    steam_sig.png