Options

emergency [chat]

• Options
    cj iwakuracj iwakura The Rhythm Regent Bears The Name FreedomRegistered User regular
    edited April 2011
    Thanatos wrote: »
    Elldren wrote: »
    Leitner wrote: »
    It's not 'hating' on people for being part of a group. It's hating on them for funding the leadership which does those aformentioned things. That is direct support no?

And Islam at least in part is.
    I haven't given money to the church in over a decade.

Stop hating
    This is what drives me crazy.

A: I'm Catholic, and I support gay rights.
    B: Well, do you give money to the church?
    A: No.
    B: Are you anti-choice?
    B: Are you anti-stem cell research?
    B: Do you go to church every Sunday?
    B: Do you think God hates birth control?
    B: Do you have pre-marital sex?
    A: Yes.

Then how the fuck are you Catholic? You've essentially thrown out all of Catholic dogma--save the Jesus bullshit--and rendered the term completely meaningless. It's like me saying "I'm a Katy Perry fan, but I don't like her music, the way she looks, her personality, or her performances." There's basically nothing fucking left.

I'm sorry, no, you're not a fucking Catholic. You might call yourself a Catholic, but you're not, just like I can call myself black, but that doesn't make me black.

I think you're out of line here. Catholicism is about a belief and about living to a standard, not stepping in line with how society expects.

cj iwakura on
    wVEsyIc.png
  • Options
    HappylilElfHappylilElf Registered User regular
    edited April 2011
    No, it's hating on them because the leadership of the religion that is the foundation of their religious beliefs are morons on certain issues.

Which is way too close to hating on people for their religious beliefs for me.

Also for the part I bolded? I think you might really, really want to clairify you're not blaming Muslims as a whole for extremists.

You beleive that people live in a vacum, and that the cultural support, content of their holy book, ideas, and general zeitgeists of religious systems have no effect whatsoever on the people within that circle of influence?

No, I believe judging a group the size of the Catholic Church or Islamic faith based upon the actions of a small subset of that group (leadership or not) is... not a good thing to do.

"Not a good thing to do" is not really what I want to write there but what I want to write is probably infractable so Imma go with that :P

Implying someone can't for example be a "real" muslim and support womens rights or be a "real" Catholic and support gay rights is, well, kind of an ignorant worldview. It's factually incorrect and I imagine it's also pretty god damned offensive to people of faith.

HappylilElf on
  • Options
    ElldrenElldren Is a woman dammit ceterum censeoRegistered User regular
    edited April 2011
    It's not 'hating' on people for being part of a group. It's hating on them for funding the leadership which does those aformentioned things. That is direct support no?

Stop hating

would you say that what defines a catholic is the theological stuff, like believing it's actually christ's body and blood, the triune God, the immaculate conception, the virgin birth, etc? or is it as simple as being a member of a community that has defined itself as catholic?

my question is, as a catholic, what would you say does make you a catholic when you disagree with the leadership and politicies of the church?

(you can PM if you don't want to get into a threadfight with other folks)

It's really quite simple: baptism, eucharist, confirmation.

That's it.

Do those three things and the only thing that can make you not a Catholic anymore is excommunication.

Elldren on
    fuck gendered marketing
  • Options
    Robos A Go GoRobos A Go Go Registered User regular
    edited April 2011
    desc wrote: »
    When Kanye West says, "I know a bar on Mars," I'm inclined to believe him.

like Kanye West has ever known a good bar am i rite heyoooo

Why would he, when parties spontaneously form wherever he goes? He's like Moses, except he parts boredom and fatigue instead of the Red Sea and prays to himself instead of God.

Robos A Go Go on
  • Options
    CouscousCouscous Registered User regular
    edited April 2011
    Excommunication doesn't make you not a Catholic according to the Church. The Church can also go fuck itself.

Couscous on
  • Options
    cj iwakuracj iwakura The Rhythm Regent Bears The Name FreedomRegistered User regular
    edited April 2011
    The last Katy Perry song I liked was the one she did with 3Oh!3.

I guess that's only marginally less horrible.

cj iwakura on
    wVEsyIc.png
  • Options
    Irond WillIrond Will WARNING: NO HURTFUL COMMENTS, PLEASE!!!!! Cambridge. MAModerator mod
    edited April 2011
    katy perry really isn't very good

Irond Will on
    Wqdwp8l.png
  • Options
    Evil MultifariousEvil Multifarious Registered User regular
    edited April 2011

Stop hating

would you say that what defines a catholic is the theological stuff, like believing it's actually christ's body and blood, the triune God, the immaculate conception, the virgin birth, etc? or is it as simple as being a member of a community that has defined itself as catholic?

my question is, as a catholic, what would you say does make you a catholic when you disagree with the leadership and politicies of the church?

That's it.

Do those three things and the only thing that can make you not a Catholic anymore is excommunication.

interesting - so would it be your opinion that a person who has gone through these sacraments but who has decided they are an atheist and acts as such is still, nevertheless, a catholic?

Evil Multifarious on
  • Options
    emnmnmeemnmnme Registered User regular
    edited April 2011
    With a billion members worldwide, Catholicism has grown so large it has it's own orbit and no longer needs the Catholic leadership.

emnmnme on
  • Options
    MyDcmbrMyDcmbr PEWPEWPEW!!! America's WangRegistered User regular
    edited April 2011
    So now I get to join the personal drama BS club too!

Spoilered for wall of text

So last week my parents were going on vacation, booked the hotel in advance, but didn't have enough money to go. So I loaned them $200 so they could go even if my Dad's yard sale didn't make them enough money to go (yes, that was their great plan to finance the trip, a yard sale the day before they are supposed to leave). Well my Dad's yard sale did extremely well, and they decide to take my loaned money and they money they made and bail out a day early. Wednesday, they come back from their trip pretty much broke.

Now today when ish hits the fan: My mom calls me to ask me what I want to have for supper because she is going to the baseball game. I of course am slightly incredulous that she is going to the baseball game while still owing me money and basically being broke. My reply is "I don't care." She then asks me what's wrong to which I reply "Nothing, don't worry about it." Well she takes this as me being pissed that she is going to the baseball game while owing me money, which I didn't say anything about, but was very perceptive of her.

So apparently she starts crying, and my Dad wigs out. He calls me and leaves a VM because my phone doesn't get really great service here at work, that is basically 3 mins of him telling me how terrible a person I am for "making my Mom cry" when all she wants to do is "have a little fun." Then he goes into the cursing and threatening of "I'd better not see you for at least the next two days" yadda yadda yadda. Then he gets into the threats of "we are going to sit down and go over all these bills and you are going to start paying more and if you don't like it you can take this house (it's my house, I bought it in 09, my parents live with me) and shove it up your ***." Then he calls me more names, and threatens to kick my ***. Then he starts screaming about all the money he's given me that I apparently never paid back and how I waste my money on stupid **** and loop back into the paying more money thing.

He is the part that tweaks me a bit, house- in my name, cable- in my name, cells- in my name, electric- in my name, water- in my name, car and house insurance- in my name. I have bent over backwards to help out my parents after my Dad got out of jail (he ended up there due to have 10 warrants for Grand Theft out on him, but FL did not want to extradite him from NH), including taking 3 days off of work and driving him to and from NH so he could get his tools. I honestly would have let him rot up there, but my Mom... you know how it is.

Basically the whole backstory is this: my Dad was addicted to pain killers, mortgaged their old house to the hilt, started taking money for jobs with his business and then not doing them (hence the grand theft charges) and convinced my Mom and I that moving to NH from FL would be a good idea because he could get clean and not end up in jail. So we did. 9 months later, he was still addicted to pills and begging me to give him cash so he could fly to FL and get pills from the quack pain management Dr. he was seeing. So my Mom and I packed our stuff and left, and came back to FL. Not 2 months later, he got pulled over and arrested for being a "Fugitive from Justice." And when her got out... well, see the paragraph above this.

Sorry for rambling like this, but it's not like I have ever told anyone this story, but right now I am just a seething cauldron of emotion and I have no idea what the hell to do. I love my parents, but their stupid shit is driving me CRAZY!

And I wonder why I think I should see a therapist.

Phew... well that was cathartic.

MyDcmbr on
    Steam
    So we get stiff once in a while. So we have a little fun. What’s wrong with that? This is a free country, isn’t it? I can take my panda any place I want to. And if I wanna buy it a drink, that’s my business.
  • Options
    MazzyxMazzyx Comedy Gold Registered User regular
    edited April 2011
    I wanna play 40k, don't wanna go to the place I know they are playing today. Full of small children. Yuck.

Mazzyx on
    u7stthr17eud.png
  • Options
    emnmnmeemnmnme Registered User regular
    edited April 2011
    Mazzyx wrote: »
    I wanna play 40k, don't wanna go to the place I know they are playing today. Full of small children. Yuck.

40K is too violent for small children. That game will warp them.

:P

emnmnme on
  • Options
    CindersCinders Whose sails were black when it was windy Registered User regular
    edited April 2011
    MyDcmbr wrote: »

So last week my parents were going on vacation, booked the hotel in advance, but didn't have enough money to go. So I loaned them $200 so they could go even if my Dad's yard sale didn't make them enough money to go (yes, that was their great plan to finance the trip, a yard sale the day before they are supposed to leave). Well my Dad's yard sale did extremely well, and they decide to take my loaned money and they money they made and bail out a day early. Wednesday, they come back from their trip pretty much broke.

Now today when ish hits the fan: My mom calls me to ask me what I want to have for supper because she is going to the baseball game. I of course am slightly incredulous that she is going to the baseball game while still owing me money and basically being broke. My reply is "I don't care." She then asks me what's wrong to which I reply "Nothing, don't worry about it." Well she takes this as me being pissed that she is going to the baseball game while owing me money, which I didn't say anything about, but was very perceptive of her.

So apparently she starts crying, and my Dad wigs out. He calls me and leaves a VM because my phone doesn't get really great service here at work, that is basically 3 mins of him telling me how terrible a person I am for "making my Mom cry" when all she wants to do is "have a little fun." Then he goes into the cursing and threatening of "I'd better not see you for at least the next two days" yadda yadda yadda. Then he gets into the threats of "we are going to sit down and go over all these bills and you are going to start paying more and if you don't like it you can take this house (it's my house, I bought it in 09, my parents live with me) and shove it up your ***." Then he calls me more names, and threatens to kick my ***. Then he starts screaming about all the money he's given me that I apparently never paid back and how I waste my money on stupid **** and loop back into the paying more money thing.

He is the part that tweaks me a bit, house- in my name, cable- in my name, cells- in my name, electric- in my name, water- in my name, car and house insurance- in my name. I have bent over backwards to help out my parents after my Dad got out of jail (he ended up there due to have 10 warrants for Grand Theft out on him, but FL did not want to extradite him from NH), including taking 3 days off of work and driving him to and from NH so he could get his tools. I honestly would have let him rot up there, but my Mom... you know how it is.

Basically the whole backstory is this: my Dad was addicted to pain killers, mortgaged their old house to the hilt, started taking money for jobs with his business and then not doing them (hence the grand theft charges) and convinced my Mom and I that moving to NH from FL would be a good idea because he could get clean and not end up in jail. So we did. 9 months later, he was still addicted to pills and begging me to give him cash so he could fly to FL and get pills from the quack pain management Dr. he was seeing. So my Mom and I packed our stuff and left, and came back to FL. Not 2 months later, he got pulled over and arrested for being a "Fugitive from Justice." And when her got out... well, see the paragraph above this.

Sorry for rambling like this, but it's not like I have ever told anyone this story, but right now I am just a seething cauldron of emotion and I have no idea what the hell to do. I love my parents, but their stupid shit is driving me CRAZY!

Damn, I'm sorry man.

Cinders on
  • Options
    NerdgasmicNerdgasmic __BANNED USERS regular
    edited April 2011
    dang, mydcmbr

I sure hope you can work things out with your dad

Nerdgasmic on
  • Options
    MikeManMikeMan Registered User regular
    edited April 2011
    What is wrong with hating on people for their religious beliefs, if their religious beliefs are retarded, hurtful, or wrong?

Why are "religious beliefs" a protected class of beliefs? We can hate on people for having wrong, hurtful, or retarded opinions on any other matter.

MikeMan on
  • Options
    ThanatosThanatos Registered User regular
    edited April 2011
    cj iwakura wrote: »
    I think you're out of line here. Catholicism is about a belief and about living to a standard, not stepping in line with how society expects.
    So, you're of the hipster branch of Catholicism? You're Catholic, but only ironically?

Like, seriously, it's not me who says you can't be Catholic and pro-choice; it's the fucking Catholic Church. Don't believe me? Read on.

If all it takes to be something is to say you're that, then we may as well through in the towel now, because it renders language meaningless. I guess I'm a rich black ultra-conservative woman from urban Mississippi.

Thanatos on
  • Options
    MazzyxMazzyx Comedy Gold Registered User regular
    edited April 2011
    emnmnme wrote: »
    Mazzyx wrote: »

40K is too violent for small children. That game will warp them.

:P

Ehh, they still play.

Mazzyx on
    u7stthr17eud.png
  • Options
    DynagripDynagrip Break me a million hearts HoustonRegistered User, ClubPA regular
    edited April 2011

Stop hating
    This is what drives me crazy.

A: I'm Catholic, and I support gay rights.
    B: Well, do you give money to the church?
    B: Are you anti-choice?
    B: Are you anti-stem cell research?
    B: Do you go to church every Sunday?
    B: Do you think God hates birth control?
    B: Do you have pre-marital sex?
    A: Yes.

Then how the fuck are you Catholic? You've essentially thrown out all of Catholic dogma--save the Jesus bullshit--and rendered the term completely meaningless. It's like me saying "I'm a Katy Perry fan, but I don't like her music, the way she looks, her personality, or her performances." There's basically nothing fucking left.

I'm sorry, no, you're not a fucking Catholic. You might call yourself a Catholic, but you're not, just like I can call myself black, but that doesn't make me black.
    i don't think you have to blindly follow/believe in every single tenet of any group to be fairly considered a member of that group.

Dynagrip on
  • Options
    edited April 2011
    Couscous wrote: »
    Excommunication doesn't make you not a Catholic according to the Church. The Church can also go fuck itself.

True, it just means you're an excommunicated Catholic

Elldren on
    fuck gendered marketing
  • Options
    edited April 2011
    Nerdgasmic wrote: »
    dang, mydcmbr

I sure hope you can work things out with your dad

Yeah, I am sure it will be fine in the end.

I doubt that my parents are going to make themselves homeless because my Dad thought it would be a good idea to try and sound tough.

Still is hella lame though. :(

MyDcmbr on
    Steam
    So we get stiff once in a while. So we have a little fun. What’s wrong with that? This is a free country, isn’t it? I can take my panda any place I want to. And if I wanna buy it a drink, that’s my business.
  • Options
    DynagripDynagrip Break me a million hearts HoustonRegistered User, ClubPA regular
    edited April 2011
    i kind of miss being able to post a bunch but then it's nice to have a job that i enjoy and makes me apply myself as opposed to one that is soul killingly boring but allows me ample free time to forum or perhaps read War & Peace on gutenberg.org

Dynagrip on
  • Options
    edited April 2011

Stop hating

That's it.

By that standard I'm Catholic still. And I not only do not believe in God, I do not believe in the validity, in any sense, of organized religion in general.

What I'm trying to say here is that that's a pretty dumb standard to judge whether or not someone is Catholic.

MikeMan on
  • Options
    LawndartLawndart Registered User regular
    edited April 2011
    MikeMan wrote: »
    What is wrong with hating on people for their religious beliefs, if their religious beliefs are retarded, hurtful, or wrong?

Why are "religious beliefs" a protected class of beliefs? We can hate on people for having wrong, hurtful, or retarded opinions on any other matter.

There's a gigantic, canyon-wide difference between criticizing someone for their actual, professed beliefs and hating on someone who self-identifies as a member of a religious group for doing so yet not having the beliefs that you arbitrarily demand they must have in order to consider themselves part of that religious group.

Lawndart on
  • Options
    electricitylikesmeelectricitylikesme Registered User regular
    edited April 2011
    So is he like, still addicted to pain medication?

Because that is probably a key thing that he needs to undo.

electricitylikesme on
  • Options
    edited April 2011

Stop hating

That's it.

interesting - so would it be your opinion that a person who has gone through these sacraments but who has decided they are an atheist and acts as such is still, nevertheless, a catholic?

Similar to myself, yes.

edit: it's important to note that this isn't just my opinion, it's part of the Catholic catechism and therefore the official opinion of the church.

Elldren on
    fuck gendered marketing
  • Options
    edited April 2011

Because it's not their beliefs, Mike; it's Jesus' beliefs. And you can't fault them for just doing what the Son of God says, right?

Thanatos on
  • Options
    edited April 2011
    so is now a good time to get a kindle or is there something better coming out right around the corner?

Dynagrip on
  • Options
    edited April 2011

Stop hating

That's it.

By that standard I'm Catholic still. And I not only do not believe in God, I do not believe in the validity, in any sense, of organized religion in general.

What I'm trying to say here is that that's a pretty dumb standard to judge whether or not someone is Catholic.

Welcome to the club! You are a lapsed Catholic. Congratulations.

Elldren on
    fuck gendered marketing
  • Options
    edited April 2011
    So is he like, still addicted to pain medication?

Because that is probably a key thing that he needs to undo.

Nah.

3 months in jail is pretty much mandatory detox. He is on Methadone so he doesn't keel over and die from the lack of opiates.

MyDcmbr on
    Steam
  • Options
    WMain00WMain00 Registered User regular
    edited April 2011
    Dynagrip wrote: »
    so is now a good time to get a kindle or is there something better coming out right around the corner?

Yeah. I hear it's called paper. It's awesome.

WMain00 on
  • Options
    edited April 2011
    Lawndart wrote: »

There's a gigantic, canyon-wide difference between criticizing someone for their actual, professed beliefs and hating on someone who self-identifies as a member of a religious group for doing so yet not having the beliefs that you arbitrarily demand they must have in order to consider themselves part of that religious group.
    I'm not doing the latter.

MikeMan on
  • Options
    edited April 2011

That's it.

Similar to myself, yes.
    Out of curiosity, why do you believe this one thing that the Church says, when you literally don't believe anything else they do?

Thanatos on
  • Options
    CindersCinders Whose sails were black when it was windy Registered User regular
    edited April 2011
    So despite receiving those sacraments in a protestant church and not believing in god, I'm a Catholic?

Cinders on
  • Options
    edited April 2011
    cj iwakura wrote: »
    So, you're of the hipster branch of Catholicism? You're Catholic, but only ironically?

Like, seriously, it's not me who says you can't be Catholic and pro-choice; it's the fucking Catholic Church. Don't believe me? Read on.

You're assuming I care what the Church thinks.

cj iwakura on
    wVEsyIc.png
  • Options
    edited April 2011

If you're interested, Mike.

Thanatos on
  • Options
    Evil MultifariousEvil Multifarious Registered User regular
    edited April 2011

Stop hating

That's it.

Similar to myself, yes.

if you had said only "yes," i would have understood your stance. but if you're an atheist, why would you continue to believe in the power of those sacraments to define a person? it seems to me that believing the B/E/C renders you ineffably Catholic requires a belief in some supernatural power that marks a person through ritual.

if a Catholic who believes the sacraments have supernatural power says that anyone who is baptized etc. is a catholic forever, that seems consistent to me. otherwise i'm not sure what the basis of the definition is.

Evil Multifarious on
  • Options
    RaakamRaakam Too many years... CanadalandRegistered User regular
    edited April 2011
    I don't think anyone cares, but woohoo, India wins the world cup! Great game, great finish! Excitement, etc.

Raakam on
    My padherder
    they don't it be like it is but it do
  • Options
    edited April 2011
    Cinders wrote: »
    So despite receiving those sacraments in a protestant church and not believing in god, I'm a Catholic?

Nope.

Because those don't count unless the church performs them.

Elldren on
    fuck gendered marketing
  • Options
    edited April 2011
    MyDcmbr wrote: »

you gotta get them out of your house and distance yourself from them. I love my family and all (except my oldest sister, she is a vile sociopath) but when I'm around them for extended periods of time I can get dragged down into their depressing bullshit. Though I think actually my parents have gotten a lot better since then but even so. Keeping my distance and helping them out only if it's an actual emergency, instead of something due to gross negligence on their part is much better for my well being.

Dynagrip on
  • Options
    edited April 2011

Stop hating

That's it.

Welcome to the club! You are a lapsed Catholic. Congratulations.
    You are making so little sense it is hurting my brain. I'm developing brain problems now.

I am not a Catholic. I could give a shit less what the Catholic church considers me. If you agree with the Catholic church in their assessment of you as still, in some sense, Catholic, you are infinitely more a Catholic than I will ever be until the day I die.

Do not lump me in with you.

MikeMan on
This discussion has been closed.