emergency [chat]

• Options
    HappylilElfHappylilElf Registered User regular
    edited April 2011
    Elldren wrote: »
    Leitner wrote: »
    Cinders wrote: »
    The gay rights thread has convinced me that we need new antipopes.

I don't know if that would help.

I just wish a certain cadre of posters would stop pig-headedly refusing to understand Catholicism and realize it's not the same as switching banks.

On the other hand, the 'no-true scotsman' frequently gets take to pretty ridiculous extremes here.

That's precisely what I'm talking about though.

"no true Catholic supports gay rights"

:rolleyes:

Oh you ass.

You got me all curious so I went over there.

I just want to pimp slap people now.

HappylilElf on
  • Options
    electricitylikesmeelectricitylikesme Registered User regular
    edited April 2011
    Dynagrip wrote: »
    So Bulgarian girl is now looking after the neighbors cat full-time, since they're moving out and can't find a place where they can have a cat.

This isn't a substantial change from the present state of affairs. Though she should get fleas less often.

uh, what? the bulgarian girl will get fleas less often or the cat?

Both.

electricitylikesme on
  • Options
    Hi I'm Vee!Hi I'm Vee! Formerly VH; She/Her; Is an E X P E R I E N C E Registered User regular
    edited April 2011
    Welp, my flight to Atlanta is delayed. It is, shockingly, overbooked.

Hopefully other people get booted off instead of me, or some people volunteer to get on a later flight for money and a ticket.

Although it's sort of win/win, because if they boot me off, I'll miss the game, but I'll get a shitton of money and a free ticket, which means I can go to LA in May without paying an exorbitant fare.

Hi I'm Vee! on
    vRyue2p.png
  • Options
    LeitnerLeitner Registered User regular
    edited April 2011
    Oh you ass.

I know right. 'I'm aware that I contribute to an organisation well known for institutionally protecting pedophiles and transfering them to poor areas so they can keep on trucking, halting gay rights, and helping spread AIDs in the developing world, but this is okay because,'.

Leitner on
  • Options
    Nova_CNova_C I have the need The need for speedRegistered User regular
    edited April 2011

I just wish a certain cadre of posters would stop pig-headedly refusing to understand Catholicism and realize it's not the same as switching banks.

On the other hand, the 'no-true scotsman' frequently gets take to pretty ridiculous extremes here.

My biggest frustration with the whole deal, and why I'm staying the hell out of the thread from this moment on, is the fact that they are taking a group and taking an extreme position to condemn the entirety of the group. In other words, the same kind of hateful prejudice that is perpetrated against gays.

Born or choice doesn't matter when you're being blamed for the actions and words of someone else. It's just straight up stupid.

Nova_C on
  • Options
    NerdgasmicNerdgasmic __BANNED USERS regular
    edited April 2011
    good luck, VH

Nerdgasmic on
  • Options
    descdesc Goretexing to death Registered User regular
    edited April 2011
    VH, you are visiting LA in May?

desc on
  • Options
    Hi I'm Vee!Hi I'm Vee! Formerly VH; She/Her; Is an E X P E R I E N C E Registered User regular
    edited April 2011
    desc wrote: »
    VH, you are visiting LA in May?
    Hopefully, if I can arrange it. Haven't seen my LA friends since November.

Anyway, got my seat assignment and we're boarding, so Imma get on the plane now. Later [chat]!

Go Cats!

Hi I'm Vee! on
    vRyue2p.png
  • Options
    edited April 2011
    Oh you ass.

I know right. 'I'm aware that I contribute to an organisation well known for institutionally protecting pedophiles and transfering them to poor areas so they can keep on trucking, halting gay rights, and helping spread AIDs in the developing world, but this is okay because,'.

Err, I'm more taking issue with "Some people who are part of the same group as you are fucking reprehensible so while I'm saying you're also reprehensible... fuck it I'm saying you're kind of reprehensible". I'm not seeing anyone giving the Catholic Church two thumbs up for institutionally protecting pedophiles and transfering them to poor areas so they can keep on trucking, halting gay rights, and helping spread AIDs in the developing world

To me it's nearly as assinine as blaming Islam for extremists.

HappylilElf on
  • Options
    edited April 2011
    I try not to talk smack on other peoples' musical tastes, because lord knows my glass house is not stone-friendly.

But how can my neighbor listen to this much Bad Religion every day.

If I could just never hear Jane's Addiction, Bad Religion, or the Red Hot Chili Peppers ever again, it would be okay. 90s high school education + souther california = a lifetime of exposure compressed into a small window of time.

desc on
  • Options
    edited April 2011
    It's not 'hating' on people for being part of a group. It's hating on them for funding the leadership which does those aformentioned things. That is direct support no?

And Islam at least in part is.

Leitner on
  • Options
    cj iwakuracj iwakura The Rhythm Regent Bears The Name FreedomRegistered User regular
    edited April 2011

Well I'm Catholic and I support gay rights, so...

cj iwakura on
    wVEsyIc.png
  • Options
    DynagripDynagrip Break me a million hearts HoustonRegistered User, ClubPA regular
    edited April 2011

Hopefully other people get booted off instead of me, or some people volunteer to get on a later flight for money and a ticket.

Although it's sort of win/win, because if they boot me off, I'll miss the game, but I'll get a shitton of money and a free ticket, which means I can go to LA in May without paying an exorbitant fare.

what game are you going to?

i'm going sailing today with my parents on their recently purchased very big boat. hope they make decent use of it.

Dynagrip on
  • Options
    JustinSane07JustinSane07 Really, stupid? Brockton__BANNED USERS regular
    edited April 2011

what game are you going to?

i'm going sailing today with my parents on their recently purchased very big boat. hope they make decent use of it.

Captain Stabbin

JustinSane07 on
  • Options
    RentRent I'm always right Fuckin' deal with itRegistered User regular
    edited April 2011
    so I just had to pick up my mom on the side of the road because she got into a fight with my stepdad

Rent on
  • Options
    TavTav Irish Minister for DefenceRegistered User regular
    edited April 2011
    I try not to talk smack on other peoples' musical tastes, because lord knows my glass house is not stone-friendly.

But how can my neighbor listen to this much Bad Religion every day.

If I could just never hear Jane's Addiction, Bad Religion, or the Red Hot Chili Peppers ever again, it would be okay. 90s high school education + souther california = a lifetime of exposure compressed into a small window of time.

I used to listen to hella Bad Religion when I was 16. They're still my top listened to artist on Last.FM. I was surprised at how many of the lyrics I remembered despite not having listened to them in years.

Tav on
  • Options
    edited April 2011
    It's not 'hating' on people for being part of a group. It's hating on them for funding the leadership which does those aformentioned things. That is direct support no?

No, it's hating on them because the leadership of the religion that is the foundation of their religious beliefs are morons on certain issues.

Which is way too close to hating on people for their religious beliefs for me.

Also for the part I bolded? I think you might really, really want to clairify you're not blaming Muslims as a whole for extremists.

HappylilElf on
  • Options
    edited April 2011
    Rent wrote: »
    so I just had to pick up my mom on the side of the road because she got into a fight with my stepdad

This sounds like good times. :l

desc on
  • Options
    NerdgasmicNerdgasmic __BANNED USERS regular
    edited April 2011
    dang, rent :( sorry

Nerdgasmic on
  • Options
    AldoAldo Hippo Hooray Registered User regular
    edited April 2011
    Man that sucks. Good luck dealing with them.

Aldo on
  • Options
    ElldrenElldren Is a woman dammit ceterum censeoRegistered User regular
    edited April 2011

I haven't given money to the church in over a decade.

Stop hating

Elldren on
    fuck gendered marketing
  • Options
    edited April 2011

Ugh, sorry man :(

HappylilElf on
  • Options
    DynagripDynagrip Break me a million hearts HoustonRegistered User, ClubPA regular
    edited April 2011

are your parents in high school?

No one's ever stopped their car and told me to get out. I don't think I would, cause fuck that bullshit.

Dynagrip on
  • Options
    WashWash Sweet Christmas Registered User regular
    edited April 2011

Who won?

Wash on
    gi5h0gjqwti1.jpg
  • Options
    MikeManMikeMan Registered User regular
    edited April 2011
    MikeMan on
  • Options
    edited April 2011
    Tav wrote: »
    I used to listen to hella Bad Religion when I was 16. They're still my top listened to artist on Last.FM. I was surprised at how many of the lyrics I remembered despite not having listened to them in years.

Bad Religion is over; now it's NOFX sing-a-long time.

desc on
  • Options
    edited April 2011
    i kind of really like that Katy Perry E.T. song.

Dynagrip on
  • Options
    emnmnmeemnmnme Registered User regular
    edited April 2011
    Calling yourself a gay rights supporter means you have to participate in the gay rights movement. Voting when the issue comes up in elections, donating time or money, boycotting anti-gay rights groups - those kinds of things.

Otherwise, you're one of those 'good men who do nothing.' Well-meaning but mostly apathetic.

emnmnme on
  • Options
    ElldrenElldren Is a woman dammit ceterum censeoRegistered User regular
    edited April 2011
    emnmnme wrote: »
    Calling yourself a gay rights supporter means you have to participate in the gay rights movement. Voting when the issue comes up in elections, donating time or money, boycotting anti-gay rights groups - those kinds of things.

Otherwise, you're one of those 'good men who do nothing.' Well-meaning but mostly apathetic.

yes

Elldren on
    fuck gendered marketing
  • Options
    MikeManMikeMan Registered User regular
    edited April 2011
    i kind of really like that Katy Perry E.T. song.
    Me too.

I like the part where she's all "Kiss... me... ki-ki-kiss me"

MikeMan on
  • Options
    edited April 2011
    MikeMan wrote: »

You know, whenever someone tells me some holdover postmodernist thing about how there hasn't been any such thing as high and low culture in decades and it's all a level playing field and andy warhol and appropriation and it's all a text whose meaning is inscribed by the viewer and ... I think of things like this video.

also what's with the throwback nine inch nails video time lapse decay shit and marilyn manson makeup shit

desc on
  • Options
    edited April 2011
    No, it's hating on them because the leadership of the religion that is the foundation of their religious beliefs are morons on certain issues.

Which is way too close to hating on people for their religious beliefs for me.

Also for the part I bolded? I think you might really, really want to clairify you're not blaming Muslims as a whole for extremists.

You beleive that people live in a vacum, and that the cultural support, content of their holy book, ideas, and general zeitgeists of religious systems have no effect whatsoever on the people within that circle of influence?

Leitner on
  • Options
    RentRent I'm always right Fuckin' deal with itRegistered User regular
    edited April 2011

are your parents in high school?

No one's ever stopped their car and told me to get out. I don't think I would, cause fuck that bullshit.

no she walked out of the house and my dad kept the keys to her minivan

I know my mom and dad are being childish but this is probably 99% my stepdad's fault because he's a prick

Rent on
  • Options
    Robos A Go GoRobos A Go Go Registered User regular
    edited April 2011
    When Kanye West says, "I know a bar on Mars," I'm inclined to believe him.

Robos A Go Go on
  • Options
    Evil MultifariousEvil Multifarious Registered User regular
    edited April 2011

Stop hating

would you say that what defines a catholic is the theological stuff, like believing it's actually christ's body and blood, the triune God, the immaculate conception, the virgin birth, etc? or is it as simple as being a member of a community that has defined itself as catholic?

my question is, as a catholic, what would you say does make you a catholic when you disagree with the leadership and politicies of the church?

(you can PM if you don't want to get into a threadfight with other folks)

Evil Multifarious on
  • Options
    ThanatosThanatos Registered User regular
    edited April 2011

Stop hating
    This is what drives me crazy.

A: I'm Catholic, and I support gay rights.
    B: Well, do you give money to the church?
    A: No.
    B: Are you anti-choice?
    B: Are you anti-stem cell research?
    B: Do you go to church every Sunday?
    B: Do you think God hates birth control?
    B: Do you have pre-marital sex?
    A: Yes.

Then how the fuck are you Catholic? You've essentially thrown out all of Catholic dogma--save the Jesus bullshit--and rendered the term completely meaningless. It's like me saying "I'm a Katy Perry fan, but I don't like her music, the way she looks, her personality, or her performances." There's basically nothing fucking left.

I'm sorry, no, you're not a fucking Catholic. You might call yourself a Catholic, but you're not, just like I can call myself black, but that doesn't make me black.

Thanatos on
  • Options
    SheepSheep Registered User, __BANNED USERS regular
    edited April 2011
    MikeMan wrote: »

You know, whenever someone tells me some holdover postmodernist thing about how there hasn't been any such thing as high and low culture in decades and it's all a level playing field and andy warhol and appropriation and it's all a text whose meaning is inscribed by the viewer and ... I think of things like this video.

also what's with the throwback nine inch nails video time lapse decay shit and marilyn manson makeup shit

You mean when you think of mediocre artistically bankrupt self aggrandizing pop music you think of Kanye and whatever shit he pulls out of his ass?

I agree.

Sheep on
  • Options
    edited April 2011
    When Kanye West says, "I know a bar on Mars," I'm inclined to believe him.

like Kanye West has ever known a good bar am i rite heyoooo

desc on
  • Options
    Evil MultifariousEvil Multifarious Registered User regular
    edited April 2011
    that song alone is listenable but boring, and the lyrics hilariously silly

but the video is a pleasing enough explosion of empty aesthetic that it makes it more enjoyable

Evil Multifarious on
  • Options
    QuidQuid Definitely not a banana Registered User regular
    edited April 2011
    Dear God it is absolutely gorgeous outside. 72 degrees, fluffy white clouds. Can't wait to get out on my bike.

Quid on
This discussion has been closed.